The WWE Discussion Thread

fresquinho

For those who haven't heard, the main event of UFC 200 is now Brock Lesnar vs. Mark Hunt. Jon Jones is off the card due to a drug related suspension. I wonder how much it hurts Dana White that a pro wrestler main evented UFC 100 (setting the buyrate record as well) and now UFC 200 too.

And now Lesnar vs. Hunt is back to being the co-main, Tate vs. Nunes will be going on last.

Also, Lesnar will be facing Randy Orton at Summerslam, assuming he doesn't get concussed beyond belief on Saturday.

Thats surprising they've put Tate vs Nunes as the main event I would have thought now that jones is gone that Lesnar would be the biggest draw

Thats surprising they've put Tate vs Nunes as the main event I would have thought now that jones is gone that Lesnar would be the biggest draw

The only thing I can think of is by putting the women on last you might get some people who will buy the PPV to support women athletes. It sounds crazy but I know people who will buy things they don't like to support something.

Another reason might be this. I was listening to Wrestling Observer Radio and Meltzer was talking about this is done purely to set up an angle with Rousey. Basically the Tate fight is meaningless but Ronda will be there to confront the winner. That may not happen but it is another reason this is the new main event.

• Like 1

I think it's just because they like to put champions on last, there's a deference shown to title holders. Brock vs. Hunt is still there, and it's the bigger draw, but it's not for anything, ultimately. Also, they might want to close the show on a 5 round fight rather than a 3 round fight.

Also, good on you for listening to the Wrestling Observer, best wrestling podcasts in existence.

So, Shane will lead Smackdown and Stephanie will do so for RAW.  Who do you guys think they'll both choose as day-to-day commish?

I'm hoping that Shane picks Daniel Bryan as Smackdown GM, and that Stephanie doesn't pick Eric Bischoff. Can't imagine her picking HHH, and I don't know who else would be an option.

Raw was fine, loved the Rollins/Dean segment, didn't care for WWE's answer to the Final Deletion, and the Sasha match was probably the worst match she's had on the main roster (not entirely her fault though, the only person who can get an impressive match out of Dana Brooke is Asuka).

Brock won his fight no way you have Orton beat a real fighter.

Yes they can let Orton win. If Orton wins clean it makes him and all the other wrestlers who beat Orton look as strong as MMA fighters which in turn makes former wrestlers turned MMA fighters like CM Punk look more believable. Plus they could set up a strong storyline with Orton coming back and wanting to take out Brock for whatever reason which keeps Orton out of the title picture for a while.

Yes they can let Orton win. If Orton wins clean it makes him and all the other wrestlers who beat Orton look as strong as MMA fighters which in turn makes former wrestlers turned MMA fighters like CM Punk look more believable. Plus they could set up a strong storyline with Orton coming back and wanting to take out Brock for whatever reason which keeps Orton out of the title picture for a while.

Yeah but honestly, I feel like Orton has been gone long enough to feel as much out of place as Cena does now. Maybe Orton will just fit right in again and instantly get back into the swing of things, who knows? But Cena just feels...done somehow. Maybe that's wishful thinking  :D

I'm gonna go ahead and say the obvious.  There's no way in hell they're going to not capitalize on Brock's momentum after winning that fight.  They've been booking him as an unstoppable beast since he's been back and winning another UFC fight just lends more credence to that build.  Of course he will eventually have to put someone over, but personally, I would put the chances of it being Orton, especially immediately after Brock's win against Hunt, somewhere between zero and negative ten percent.

• Like 3

Well, some shit just happened. Brock Lesnar has been flagged by USADA (US Anti-Doping Agency) because of a potential out-of-competition doping violation 11 days before his UFC fight. The fight will now likely be changed to a no contest, he could be banned for 2 years (which would likely mean the end of his UFC career), and could be forced to forfeit 50-75% of his purse, depending on the outcome of his appeal. Not sure what this means for his WWE future, but it certainly makes their drug testing policy look like a sham, and makes the decision to put him on the video game cover look bad in retrospect.

Edited by AxeToFall18

Well, some shit just happened. Brock Lesnar has been flagged by USADA (US Anti-Doping Agency) because of a potential out-of-competition doping violation 11 days before his UFC fight. The fight will now likely be changed to a no contest, he could be banned for 2 years (which would likely mean the end of his UFC career), and could be forced to forfeit 50-75% of his purse, depending on the outcome of his appeal. Not sure what this means for his WWE future, but it certainly makes their drug testing policy look like a sham, and makes the decision to put him on the video game cover look bad in retrospect.

Well, I guess maybe I should alter my previous statement from "no way in hell" to "one way in hell".  Thanks for the humbling, wrestling gods  :spank:

Reports are saying he passed 5 of the 6 tests. Even on this 6th one, it's not confirmed yet. They need to finish the testing, but there's always a chance it was a false positive.

Also, I don't think this makes WWE's testing look like a sham. No other sport uses USADA for testing either (as far as I know). It's the most rigorous testing out there, and only UFC does it. Apparently, Brock was tested 6 times in 3 weeks. If he is on something, it's obscure enough to pass WWE's tests. Yet, WWE still has a much stricter list to test for than the NFL, NBA, or MLB.

Reports are saying he passed 5 of the 6 tests. Even on this 6th one, it's not confirmed yet. They need to finish the testing, but there's always a chance it was a false positive.

Also, I don't think this makes WWE's testing look like a sham. No other sport uses USADA for testing either (as far as I know). It's the most rigorous testing out there, and only UFC does it. Apparently, Brock was tested 6 times in 3 weeks. If he is on something, it's obscure enough to pass WWE's tests. Yet, WWE still has a much stricter list to test for than the NFL, NBA, or MLB.

There's certainly a chance, but a false positive is very rare. USADA tests each sample thoroughly and rarely misfires, I'd say it's more likely that whatever he took, he took after the first 5 tests, which I think all preceded the positive (first 5 were pre-June 20th, positive was June 28th, from the articles I've read).

When you test a guy for 4 years and don't catch anything, then another company tests him for a handful of weeks and catches him, that doesn't really make you look good. Granted, there's a chance that Brock only started taking whatever he got popped for because of his return to the UFC, but to most people this doesn't lend any credibility to a process many already believe is a joke. Not saying it's necessarily fair, but it's still bad PR.

For those who haven't seen that WWE have revealed some interesting rules for the draft;

The rules for the WWE Draft are as follows:

• Raw has the first overall pick
  • Since SmackDown Live is a two-hour show and Raw is three hours, for every two picks SmackDown Live receives, Raw will receive three picks
  • Tag teams count as one pick unless a Commissioner/General Manager specifically only wants one member of the team​
  • Six draft picks will be made off the NXT roster​

The list of current WWE Superstars eligible for the WWE Draft will be as follows:

Male Superstars

• AJ Styles
  • Alberto Del Rio
  • Apollo Crews
  • Baron Corbin
  • Big Show
  • Braun Strowman
  • Bray Wyatt
  • Brock Lesnar
  • Cesaro
  • Chris Jericho
  • Darren Young (w/ Bob Backlund)
  • Dean Ambrose – WWE Champion
  • Demon Kane
  • Dolph Ziggler
  • Erick Rowan
  • Jack Swagger
  • John Cena
  • Kalisto
  • Kevin Owens
  • Mark Henry
  • Neville
  • Randy Orton
  • Roman Reigns
  • Rusev (w/ Lana) – United States Champion
  • Sami Zayn
  • Seth Rollins
  • Sheamus
  • Sin Cara
  • The Miz (w/ Maryse) – Intercontinental Champion
  • Titus O’Neil
  • Zack Ryder

Tag Teams

• Breezango (Fandango and Tyler Breeze)
  • Enzo and Cass (Enzo Amore and Big Cass)
  • Gallows and Anderson (Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson)
  • Golden Truth (Goldust and R-Truth)
  • Shining Stars (Epico and Primo)
  • Social Outcasts (Bo Dallas, Curtis Axel and Heath Slater)
  • The Ascension (Konnor and Viktor)
  • The Dudley Boyz (Bubba Ray and D-Von Dudley)
  • The New Day (Big E, Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods) – Tag Team Champions
  • The Usos (Jey and Jimmy Uso)
  • The Vaudevillains (Aiden English and Simon Gotch)

Female Superstars

• Alicia Fox
  • Becky Lynch
  • Charlotte – WWE Women’s Champion
  • Dana Brooke
  • Eva Marie
  • Naomi
  • Natalya
  • Paige
  • Sasha Banks
  • Summer Rae

http://www.wwe.com/article/wwe-draft-rules-2016

Sin Cara and Kalisto aren't listed together as a tag team so this could be a spoiler that they're separated.

I've also noticed that they changed the main championship's name from "WWE World Heavyweight Champion" just to "WWE Champion", possibly another spoiler that there'll be a main title for both Raw and Smackdown

Edited by SkyesUnholy

For those who haven't seen that WWE have revealed some interesting rules for the draft;

http://www.wwe.com/article/wwe-draft-rules-2016

Sin Cara and Kalisto aren't listed together as a tag team so this could be a spoiler that they're separated.

I've also noticed that they changed the main championship's name from "WWE World Heavyweight Champion" just to "WWE Champion", possibly another spoiler that there'll be a main title for both Raw and Smackdown

Yeah, the Lucha Dragons broke up on the pre-show tonight, and the change to 'WWE Champion' has been in place for a while now. Also noteworthy that Heyman and Lesnar don't seem to be a package deal, and The Undertaker isn't on the list, despite being mentioned recently on-air.

Regarding the NXT call-ups, from what I've heard,

there will be two female call-ups, one will be Nia Jax, the other will likely be either Bayley or Alexa Bliss.

Also, WWE has signed Kota Ibushi (so now they have pretty much all my favorite wrestlers, except for Kenny Omega) and Gran Metalik (aka Máscara Dorada of CMLL/NJPW), and they'll likely be heading to NXT.

And if you're wondering about who the WWE champion is after tonight's main event, they covered that on the network. The ref declared it a draw, so Ambrose retained. Not really much controversy, considering that it was looking like they were using this as a means to split the title.

Anyone remember those Samoa Joe/Sami Zayn #1 contenders matches on NXT? First one ended in a draw, as both men pinned on another (all 4 shoulders down). The next match ended in a draw again as both men had a submission hold on Baron Corbin at the same time, as he tapped out.

Just a coincidence that this WWE Championship match ends in a double pin draw, and the next one is a triple threat? You know Vince will want to still punish Roman somehow. Double submission to Roman? World Title gets split, Dean as WWE Champion on Smackdown, Seth as World Champion on Raw?

Also, it was announced that Raw will be getting the cruiserweight division again. I hope Smackdown gets the Women's division, to make things fair (and not split up the small women's roster).

Does anyone really like Darren Young and his new gimmick "lets make Darren Young great again", he's never been great in my eyes

I think he was always a good worker, but not an overall great talent. I've hated the skits with Backlund thus far, but I don't put that on Young or Backlund, I blame the writers.

Anyone remember those Samoa Joe/Sami Zayn #1 contenders matches on NXT? First one ended in a draw, as both men pinned on another (all 4 shoulders down). The next match ended in a draw again as both men had a submission hold on Baron Corbin at the same time, as he tapped out.

Just a coincidence that this WWE Championship match ends in a double pin draw, and the next one is a triple threat? You know Vince will want to still punish Roman somehow. Double submission to Roman? World Title gets split, Dean as WWE Champion on Smackdown, Seth as World Champion on Raw?

Also, it was announced that Raw will be getting the cruiserweight division again. I hope Smackdown gets the Women's division, to make things fair (and not split up the small women's roster).

I'll believe Vince is over his obsession with pushing Reigns when I see it. I don't think he'll necessarily win the title, but I have a hard time believing he'll be double-pinned. I also have an equally hard time believing he has any idea what goes on in NXT, aside from the Takeover events he attends.

It would be nice if Smackdown got the women – nicer still if Raw got the women and Smackdown got the cruiserweights – but I'm pretty sure they'll be on both shows. The idea of splitting a division that small is stupid, but from what I've read that looks like the direction they're going in. I just hope they don't bring back the butterfly belt for Smackdown. Make it a bantamweight title or something like that, anything but that diva bullshit.

Everything so far (except for the commissioners and GMs) makes it look like they're putting more effort into Raw, which is unfortunate given that the entire point of the brand split was supposed to be building up Smackdown. Raw gets the first pick, 3 picks for SD's 2, and an exclusive division. I have no idea how they're going to try selling Smackdown as another A show considering all that's be revealed to date. Hopefully they divvy up the talent equitably tonight.