The WWE Discussion Thread

fresquinho

ClashOfChampions--2e7deb9b644bed931ebd8df4e52e0db3.png

beAHTpN.png?1

WWE Clash of Champions

12/17/2017

Predictions

So, this was RAW's first ever exclusive PPV - time sure does fly! I really miss the retired PPV "Night of Champions", and it was best during the old era. The change isn't so bad after all. I just hope this PPV won't be disappointing and it will be just as good as last year's. 

WWE Championship - AJ Styles (c) vs. Jinder Mahal 

Winner: Jinder Mahal. There's no way The Phenomenal will walk out of here with the title. His short title reign will end here. He might've got away with it on the 7th of November edition of SmackDown LIVE when he took out the Singh Brothers, but he won't this time. As long as those twins are in the match, Styles will lose. This is also a good setup for John Cena's return and start a feud with Jinder so he can win the title at WrestleMania 34. What we're not sure of, is which brand Cena is set to return on, because there are rumors that he'll return on the 25th Christmas edition of RAW.   

SmackDown Women's Championship: Lumberjack Match - Charlotte Flair (c) vs. Natalya  

Winner: Charlotte Flair. Oh, it's a lumberjack match. Well what do we know? There are so many possibilities. I like the new faction of Carmella, Tamina and Lana. They'll probably be on Charlotte's side (but remember that Carmella can actually turn her back on her and cash in right away). The Riott Squad are probably on ... y'know what, they just destroy and don't protect! I have a feeling that this lumberjack match will go viral inside the ring and outside of it. Ruby might get involved and her squad will attack Charlotte after the referee gets an anonymous distraction somehow. And many many more. We'll see how this match goes.  

SmackDown Tag Team Championship: Fatal 4-Way Match - The Usos (c) vs. The New Day vs. Shelton Benjamin & Chad Gable vs. Rusev & Aiden English

Winners: Rusev & Aiden English. These guys are on the verge of winning, no doubt! They'll be singing, praising and hailing RUSEV DAY, all day long. Just kidding. Just a prediction for fun, but The Usos might retain. Shelton and Chad will still follow the titles regardless who has them, so no worries there. The New Day, well... I think they should take a break and one of them should prepare for the upcoming Mixed Challenge in about a month.

Randy Orton & Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn (Shane McMahon and Daniel Bryan as special guest referees)

Winners: Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn. It's over 100 times obvious that these guys aren't leaving WWE. If Shane doesn't need them on SmackDown, he could just send them to RAW, right? No need to express your anger issues to us. Now, what we're waiting for here is a heel turn. One of the special guest referees are gonna turn heel. Daniel Bryan could be favored to do so. Why did he even add himself to the match? Time to fasten the "YES" and "YEP" movement.

United States Championship - Baron Corbin (c) vs. Bobby Roode vs. Dolph Ziggler

Winner: Dolph Ziggler. I might be the only person on earth who might think this way, but there has to be a reason why he was added to the match. I want to see his last ride as a champion before he truly leaves, even if it's just for a short while until WWE starts to jobber him or release him anyway. If Ziggler doesn't win, I'll let Corbin retain or maybe the Glorious one wins it, but slight chance for him. 

Breezango vs. The Bludgeon Brothers
Winners: The Bludgeon Brothers. It's simple. It's their first PPV, so they have to win. Breezango hasn't being doing much and we barely see them in the ring. I wish these guys have been in the run for the SD Tag Team champs for a little longer so they can be recognized. Nothing much to get from this match, it'll only lead us to what is next in the Fashion Files show after The Ascension told them to face The Bludgeon Bros. 

Zack Ryder vs. Mojo Rowley

Winner: Mojo Rowley. I don't think WWE has any eyes on Zack after all that's happened. He tried making The Hype Bros the SD Tag Team champions, but he always got injured along the way, which must've infuriated Mojo. This guy even won the IC Championship at WM32 and lost it the following night. Mojo is probably having a bright future right ahead of him. I wish it wasn't even a Kickoff match.

• Like 2

My Clash of Champions predicitons:

Kickoff Match - Mojo Rawley vs Zack Ryder
Winner: Mojo Rawley -
it's a shame that the Hype Bros. split literally got no attention at all. There should be a whole story build around it with more interviews and attacks, not just one lousy statement from Mojo. Heck, there is already more hate between Chris Jericho and Kenny Omega than there is between these former friends and Tag Team partners.

Breezango vs The Bludgeon Brothers
Winners: The Bludgeon Brothers -
I had high hopes for Breezango over a year ago when they had their best match against American Alpha during the Tag Team Championship Tournament. At least they have the Fashion Files, otherwise they would simply vanish like The Colons. The Bludgeon Brothers will win with ease and hopefully move on to face the Champs soon.

WWE United States Championship Triple Threat Match - Baron Corbin vs Bobby Roode vs Dolph Ziggler
Winner: Baron Corbin -
I don't think the Lone Wolf will lose the belt, but I'd love to see Bobby Roode having a classic title reign and being booked like Flair or Rude in the old days. That would be glorious!

WWE Smackdown Tag Team Championship Fatal 4-Way Match - The Usos vs Chad Gable & Shelton Benjamin vs The New Day vs Rusev & Aiden English
Winners: The Usos -
The Samoan Twins have the whole division on lock, ruling over everyone with an iron fist and that's not gonna change just yet. Jimmy & Jey vs Harper & Rowan must be the next step.

WWE Women's Championship Lumberjack Match - Charlotte Flair vs Natalya
Winner: Charlotte Flair -
Charlotte deserves to hold onto the Championship a while longer too. Nattie won't win it again. A cash in is always a possibility of course, but with all the ladies ringside, her chance of winning seems to be small as well.

WWE Championship Match - AJ Styles vs Jinder Mahal
Winner: AJ Styles -
The project "Jinder Mahal - WWE Champion" has to be over after the PPV. Vince pulled the plug before it was too late and he won't return to it. The best wrestler on the roster has the most important Championship right now and it has to stay that way until WrestleMania or further than that.

Tag Team Match with Shane McMahon & Daniel Bryan as Special Guest Referees - Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn vs Randy Orton & Shinsuke Nakamura
Winners: Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn -
I heard a lot of people complaining on wrestling podcasts that the setup is mainly focused on Shane McMahon and Daniel Bryan, but honestly, that's what makes it so interesting. Finally some decent storytelling. Without them, this would be a random match that no one cares about. I sure hope Daniel will turn, because it has so much potential for all kinds of stories.

• Like 2

@Dr_Mayus Thanks for the video

Gotta agree with @Jesaya815. It could be good news for WWE and maybe some wrestlers can even flourish. 

However, color me skeptical on Vince restarting XFL is a guarantee success. A wise man once said those who do not learn from their history are doomed to repeat it. I know time always changes and if Vince does find success, it would be a one heck of a redemption story.

If Vince fails, this would be another huge public defeat. Not sure what he will do if that happens.

• Like 1

Usually the last PPV of the year is really disappointing but I really liked this one :)

Kickoff Show:

Mojo Rawley vs Zack Ryder

I didn't care about this feud at all because I don't like these guys and I don't see the point of a feud between two jobbers but they really surprised me and gave a decent good match with good storytelling (the video before the match showing their story as team helped a lot imo) so it was a nice surprise. Let's see if they have plans for Mojo or if he will be forgotten once again because a 2 hour show isn't enough for SD.

Main Card:

United States Championship Match: Baron Corbin (c) vs Bobby Roode vs Dolph Ziggler

Before the match started I didn't know what they were going to do with the result of this match but I certainly would not have guessed this result. The match was really interesting and Baron Corbin is slowly but surely becoming a better wrestler and a better heel day after day and a main event push in 2018 would not seem strange now. At the end of the match I knew that Dolph would do the Zig Zag during the End Of Days of Corbin but it was still really nice to see. I don't know what's next for the US Championship but it should be interesting. 

Tag Team Championship Match: The Usos (c) vs Rusev and Aiden English vs Shelton Benjamin and Chad Gable vs The New Day

What a match ! This match is a really serious contender for the match of the year imo. The SD tag team division is so good that I didn't even know who was my favourite team in this match :P The match helped every team and they all looked better after the match so I'm very happy with that because I was afraid that this match would focused too much on The New Day and the Usos. I wished this match lasted longer because I enjoyed it from the beginning to the end. I could say a lot of things about this match but the last thing I'll say is that Chad Gable is a freaking beast. This guy is AMAZING each and every time he is in the ring he delivers but last night was something else. I already knew he was good but he managed to make me like him even more. I hope WWE realize that this guy is one of the best performer they have and that they give him a serious solo push in 2018. 

Finally, the result of this match is fair and The Usos should keep the title until they face The Bludgeon Brothers.

Lumberjack Women’s Title Match: Charlotte (c) vs Natalya

The worst match of the night without a doubt as far as I'm concerned. There was nothing interesting about this match and Charlotte vs Natalya has already been done a lot of times and it has never been interesting. The only time their match was kind of interesting was when they faced eachother in NXT a few years ago. 

I don't think Charlotte is going to lose the title anytime soon since there isn't any woman on her level on SD. The only threat to her championship reign is Carmella's MITB contract.

Breezango vs The Bludgeon Brothers

That's it. The fashion files are over :( The Bludgeon Brothers destroyed Breezango really quickly (Even though the match was longer than I thought he would be). I don't think this feud is over yet, I could see WWE making an handicap match between The Bludgeon Brothers and Breezango with The Ascension to show how dominant Harper and Rowan are.

Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn vs Randy Orton and Shinsuke Nakamura (Shane McMahon and Danie Bryan are special referees. If Owens and Zayn lose, they are fired from the WWE)

Second disappointment of the night. Everyone knew that Owens and Zayn would win so I don't care about the result but the match turned out to be really confusing and disappointing. There was 4 main event level wrestlers in the match and 2 special guest referee and they managed to make this match worse than the rest of the PPV (apart from the women of course). The ending sucked unfortunately but we'll at least have an interesting story development between Bryan and Shane.

WWE Championship Match: AJ Styles (c) vs Jinder Mahal w/The Singh Brothers

The main event is my second favourite match of the night. They went old school with this match with a really dominant Jinder focusing on the ribs of Styles and Styles being the babyface that just won't quit. I was afraid during the whole match that Styles might have been injured when Jinder threw him over the barricade so I hope he is ok because that would be the worst possible thing to happen right now for SD and for him at this point of his career. 

This is probably the best match of Jinder's career but he can thank Styles because he always bring the best out of his opponents. The fact that The Singh Brothers didn't intervened too much was a pleasant surprise. 

The result should make everyone happy and I hope that Styles will still be the Champion at Wrestlemania. I don't know if I want him to face Shinsuke though but we'll see.

A good PPV overall and a good way to end the year for the WWE.

Edited by itachi-destroyer
  • Like 2

Man, I thought that tag match was pure gold.  It told an amazing story and set up for even more brilliance.  Daniel Bryan can now claim he was there to keep things on the straight and narrow and Shane was actually the villain for intentionally trying to screw Sami and Kevin with the non-count, prompting Daniel to do what he did because he came up with those guys and has been in the position of being screwed because a McMahon didn't like him.  They can play that card to generate sympathy until BAM!!  Nevermind, we were heels all along and this was all a huge plot to do some kind of horrible thing that I can't think of right now.

• Like 3

For the first time I'm more interested in what Absolution will do tonight,

Last night Charlotte proved that Riot squad is a joke, she can defeat the whole SD roster in a blink of an eye.

Edit: Yeah, the rumors were true. 

We'll have the very first Women Royal Rumble. 

?????????

Edited by GoldenShaka
  • Like 1

Well merry Christmas everyone

i know its late but still.

so which do you think is better this week? Raw or SD?

im quite happy with the US title getting a tournament. Feels like there is more weight and value to the title. 

With that being said, why isn't the RR being treated like this? This may be a personal thing, but I felt they should've have matches to fight for a number.  For example, let's say Matt hardy is #3 and Bray Wyatt is #15. If Matt defeats Bray, they switch numbers. They keep doing this until the week of the royal rumble.

I prefer this than "I'm in the Royal Rumble". No problem with that as its good to know who is in, I just think that it should be a PPV  where you earn the right to go in, as opposed to anyone can join.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GoodbyeBread said:

Well merry Christmas everyone

i know its late but still.

so which do you think is better this week? Raw or SD?

im quite happy with the US title getting a tournament. Feels like there is more weight and value to the title. 

With that being said, why isn't the RR being treated like this? This may be a personal thing, but I felt they should've have matches to fight for a number.  For example, let's say Matt hardy is #3 and Bray Wyatt is #15. If Matt defeats Bray, they switch numbers. They keep doing this until the week of the royal rumble.

I prefer this than "I'm in the Royal Rumble". No problem with that as its good to know who is in, I just think that it should be a PPV  where you earn the right to go in, as opposed to anyone can join.

Merry After Christmas ;) .

I gotta say, Smackdown was better than Raw. The announcement of a US Championship tournament is great and makes the title more important. Bobby Roode and Jinder Mahal already advanced, which is fine by me. The Tag Team division keeps getting better. Sadly Rusev didn't win, but he got one of the biggest pops, which was amazing. The story with Shane, Daniel Bryan, Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn is the most interesting thing right now. If only the Women would have better storylines.

I'd love to see Qualifying Matches for a Royal Rumble spot or even for a particular number. It seems so obvious and logical, yet the writers just put random fights on the show like Finn Balor vs Jobber A, B, and C week after week.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2017 at 6:19 AM, GoodbyeBread said:

If you did that you'd be removing one of the best parts of the Rumble, the surprises.  I get that they could still have some numbers be mystery's but any info you give away, like said person being #3 and the other being #15, takes away some of the anticipation of who's next.  If you know who's going to be #3 and #15 then there's no fun in wondering if it's going to be a debut, or a return, or a one-time feel good blast from the past, or someone like Ronda Rousey.  You'd also have to do it with several wrestlers which would dilute the feeling even more, I'd honestly hate knowing who's coming out next for, most likely, at least a third of the Rumble. 

• Like 1

On December 30, 2017 at 10:17 PM, skidmarkgn said:

If you did that you'd be removing one of the best parts of the Rumble, the surprises.  I get that they could still have some numbers be mystery's but any info you give away, like said person being #3 and the other being #15, takes away some of the anticipation of who's next.  If you know who's going to be #3 and #15 then there's no fun in wondering if it's going to be a debut, or a return, or a one-time feel good blast from the past, or someone like Ronda Rousey.  You'd also have to do it with several wrestlers which would dilute the feeling even more, I'd honestly hate knowing who's coming out next for, most likely, at least a third of the Rumble. 

Fair point. If it wasn't for surprises, Wrestlers like Edge, AJ Styles, RVD and Goldust wouldn't receive the pop they did when they went into the royal rumble.

But let me play devil's advocate for a bit.

Anticipation isn't always a bad thing. As I said earlier, there isn't a problem with knowing who's going to be in the royal rumble. Knowing that a fan favorite is coming makes it sweet. Imagine if you will if people found out that Ricochet, Dalton Castle, Will Ospray, Marty Scurall and Kenny Omega were confirmed to WWE and top it off, all of them said they were guaranteed to be in the Royal rumble this month. Lets also say that these wrestlers have not revealed their numbers, except Omega who said he is #30. People would be excited and waiting for them to show up. Of course, this is wishful thinking as Vince wouldn't allow it, as you mentioned in a previous post that he hates wrestlers that are not 'his creation'. but if that happened, I'm willing to bet people would lose their minds and get their money's worth. I guess what I want to say is it's not always bad to know who is coming up.

Overall, my main and personal problem with the Royal Rumble is the lack of matches to qualify to the PPV. From my perspective, The PPV is like a giant tournament for a guarantee title shot and spot for Wresltlemania, a PPV that feels like a huge main event with big  and memorable matches (with some exceptions *cough* shampoo match *cough*). I'm fine if they don't wrestle for specific numbers, but couldn't they at least wrestle to have a chance to participate in the royal rumble? The idea of just announcing yourself in is loathsome. Imagine if they did that with Wresltlemania. I mean it's one thing to win a match or rumble that will guarantee you a spot at Wresltlemania and then say it, that's fine. But to just announce it because [insert wrestler's name here] says so, in my opinion, could devalue the PPV.  What was the point of having a Royal Rumble if everyone else was going to be there?

I may be looking too hard into the small things of pro wrestling. Sometimes, WWE does things that's doesn't make an ounce of sense and it baffles me.

11 hours ago, GoodbyeBread said:

Imagine if you will if people found out that Ricochet, Dalton Castle, Will Ospray, Marty Scurall and Kenny Omega were confirmed to WWE and top it off, all of them said they were guaranteed to be in the Royal rumble this month. Lets also say that these wrestlers have not revealed their numbers, except Omega who said he is #30. People would be excited and waiting for them to show up.

Overall, my main and personal problem with the Royal Rumble is the lack of matches to qualify to the PPV. From my perspective, The PPV is like a giant tournament for a guarantee title shot and spot for Wresltlemania, a PPV that feels like a huge main event with big  and memorable matches (with some exceptions *cough* shampoo match *cough*). I'm fine if they don't wrestle for specific numbers, but couldn't they at least wrestle to have a chance to participate in the royal rumble? The idea of just announcing yourself in is loathsome. Imagine if they did that with Wresltlemania. I mean it's one thing to win a match or rumble that will guarantee you a spot at Wresltlemania and then say it, that's fine. But to just announce it because [insert wrestler's name here] says so, in my opinion, could devalue the PPV.  What was the point of having a Royal Rumble if everyone else was going to be there?

Pretty sure Ricochet is already signed and has a month scheduled to debut in NXT, but I digress.  If any of those guys debuted as a surprise I believe the pop would be infinitely louder than if it was a scheduled appearance.  I mean, I also thought for sure Enzo and Cass wouldn't get over on the main roster as a team so who knows if I'm wrong or right.  

The issue I could see forming with qualifying matches is who loses all those matches?  30 guys qualifying means 30 guys also have to lose.  I guess they could pad the numbers by making a storyline out of someone losing over and over before finally making it in (looking at you Heath) but then you run into "why did he get 13 chances to get in and __________ was one and done".  Otherwise the matches would be boring.  A qualifying match between Roman Reigns and -guy who's not even good enough to be one of the thirty in the rumble- doesn't really sound that fun to me.  I'd rather just save the time and let him say he's in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ee28max said:

Really great match from WK12 Jericho vs Omega. Hands down it was awesome :) 

Oh yeah, absolutely. It was a very stiff and long-fought battle. Jericho can be such a great heel, if he's allowed to do things his way. The way he constantly shoved the referees and cameramen around was so funny :D . He also carried the match most of the time, which was cool and unexpected.

• Like 2

Raw was really good this week. Strowman is such a beast. That bump Lesnar took was sick and probably the hardest one since returning to WWE. The Miz is back, which is great too. And I gotta say, the way Jason Jordan portrays his character gets better every week. Last but not least, Finn, Anderson & Gallows are finally getting a push as the Balor Club. Long overdue.

• Like 3

Great new hairstyle for The Miz (making him look classic like back then when he wore shorts) and I can't wait for his IC Championship rematch at RAW 25. Many legends will be returning, the likes of Ted DiBiase, Boogeyman, etc. Too bad Dean will miss it, tough luck. I'm very happy for Balor Club right now. I think Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson should replace The Bar at Royal Rumble to face Seth Rollins and Jason Jordan for the RAW Tag Team Championship. Some reports claim that Finn might win the Royal Rumble and go to SmackDown to face AJ Styles for the WWE Championship, but we've seen that already and it would ruin The Balor Club reunion. Thanks to Braun Strowman, RAW's ratings this week were dominating. Destroying both The Beast and The Machine making him look like Indiana Jones with all that grappling hook segment backstage.  

Also disappointed to hear that Samoa Joe has an injured foot and may be out of action for a while. First it was the knee and now this.

Edited by ee28max
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ee28max said:

Great new hairstyle for The Miz (making him look classic like back then when he wore shorts) and I can't wait for his IC Championship rematch at RAW 25. Many legends will be returning, the likes of Ted DiBiase, Boogeyman, etc. Too bad Dean will miss it, tough luck. I'm very happy for Balor Club right now. I think Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson should replace The Bar at Royal Rumble to face Seth Rollins and Jason Jordan for the RAW Tag Team Championship. Some reports claim that Finn might win the Royal Rumble and go to SmackDown to face AJ Styles for the WWE Championship, but we've seen that already and it would ruin The Balor Club reunion. Thanks to Braun Strowman, RAW's ratings this week were dominating. Destroying both The Beast and The Machine making him look like Indiana Jones with all that grappling hook segment backstage.  

Also disappointed to hear that Samoa Joe has an injured foot and may be out of action for a while. First it was the knee and now this.

My guess is that the Good Brothers will be the next No.1 contenders, once the rivalry between Rollins/Jordan and The Bar is over. That feud is going on for way too long now anyway. Having Finn as the Royal Rumble winner would be great. Many fans wanna see either him or Nakamura succeed, so WWE will probably go with Roman Reigns, John Cena, or Randy Orton again, because we all know they need the push so desperately :lol: .

• Like 1