The WWE Discussion Thread

fresquinho

Smackdown was barely decent. The show could have had a great start but no lets bring Naomi to ruin what could have been a good segment between the three best women in WWE today.

The tag team match was ok and I hope that they'll be able to use Sanity better down the road, they aren't charismatics guys or anything but they are enjoyable in the ring so I just hope I can see them on TV a little more even if they don't win the titles. The main event was just a random tag match for whatever reason but I have to say the ending looked really bad and Bryan could have ended up with a broken jaw, and this happened just a few days after Ali said during an interview that he doesn't know what he is doing when he does his finisher but he hopes that he doesn't injure someone... It came close and if I was a wrestler I wouldn't feel safe is my opponent said that he doesn't know what he is doing in the ring :P 

It's good for him that he is now part of the main roster even though he is just a spot monkey but I can't help to feel even more sorry for Neville who was a hell of a wrestler (one of their very best in the ring undoubtedly) and who should have had a great career but didn't because he looks like Gollum to some people. People were asking for him to go back to the main roster but no their plan was to make him lose repeatedly to an asshole like Enzo Amore ?

Now I'll speak briefly about next week smackdown 

Spoiler

And it definitely looks like a bad show which isn't surprising considering the season. What surprises me however is how the McMahons talk about changing things but keep BURYING Nakamura and Andrade week after week. Nakamura is probably the most misused top NXT wrestler in the main roster period and making him lose his championship to another misused wrestler isn't going to do him any favour. Cien Almas only shows up to lose and after Vince wonders why he can't create a mexican star, he is not going to create a star by making them lose every time they are on TV.

It appears that The Miz and Shane are now officialy a tag team so let's see what's in store for them in the near future but I could see this leading to them winning the tag titles at wrestlemania.

So yeah, doesn't seem like an enjoyable show either. 

On a different subject Rollins has now replaced Reigns as the central superstar on WWE's official sites. Great so he is definitely going to win the rumble now and be able to pay "homage" to Roman Reigns after he defeats Lesnar at Wrestlemania. As if Reigns and The Shield weren't always the only subject RAW kept bringing up during the last 6 years now we are going to have yet another Shield guy having yet another wrestlemania moment. Yeah the match and feud are probably going to be good but can't they just give an opportunity to someone that was not a part of The Shield ?

The McMahon can continue to claim that they are going to make important changes to make the show better but to me it looks like they are just speaking nonsense and nothing is looking to be different.

The more things change the more they stay the same ...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ee28max said:

I was quite surprised to hear them announce that Mustafa Ali is now a permanent member of SmackDown. I have to say I'm happy for him, he was my favorite in 205 Live to begin with.

I don't want to say this as disrespect to 205 but... Mustafa is bigger than 205 Live at this point. He's by and large the most exciting person on that show, he can flip around with the best of them and he's taller than Daniel Bryan so it doesn't look like he's undersized. Mix in the Pakistani decent for diversity and being only 32 and you have the makings of a star. Plus the main roster needs a few guys could can add some speed and verticality. 

1 hour ago, itachi-destroyer said:

On a different subject Rollins has now replaced Reigns as the central superstar on WWE's official sites. Great so he is definitely going to win the rumble now and be able to pay "homage" to Roman Reigns after he defeats Lesnar at Wrestlemania. As if Reigns and The Shield weren't always the only subject RAW kept bringing up during the last 6 years now we are going to have yet another Shield guy having yet another wrestlemania moment. Yeah the match and feud are probably going to be good but can't they just give an opportunity to someone that was not a part of The Shield ?

The McMahon can continue to claim that they are going to make important changes to make the show better but to me it looks like they are just speaking nonsense and nothing is looking to be different.

The more things change the more they stay the same ...

I agree, but honestly, I think it's pretty clear that no Reigns is hurting them. As much sh*t as he got, the numbers didn't lie when it came to him. People tuned in, his Youtube numbers were the highest of any wrestler and his merch was high. Rollins and Ambrose may be the better wrestlers, but they aren't the better star. 

Problem is Reigns could realistically (in terms of look) seem like he could beat Lesnar. Rollins only looks like the guy who could take advantage of a situation, like he was in the Rollins/Lesnar/Cena match which was fantastic. I don't buy them letting him win one on one or even in a special situation... unless they do like (I forgot which one) the WM where they had the triple threat main event. Which personally I think they should do more of anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneSkillPoint said:

I don't want to say this as disrespect to 205 but... Mustafa is bigger than 205 Live at this point. He's by and large the most exciting person on that show, he can flip around with the best of them and he's taller than Daniel Bryan so it doesn't look like he's undersized. Mix in the Pakistani decent for diversity and being only 32 and you have the makings of a star. Plus the main roster needs a few guys could can add some speed and verticality.  

Oh no I get what you mean by that, it's just the way how the main roster deals with the building up of a superstar. Recently we learned that the reason why Asuka hasn't been doing great before winning the title that she rightfully deserved was because of her apparent "English and mic skills" and it seems like that won't be a problem anymore now since she's getting back to where she should have months ago. Shinsuke Nakamura's career had a vast change from being the real artist or king of strong style to being what he is now, making a huge decline on the midcard. Mustafa Ali by no doubts deserved the spot on SmackDown. The 205 Live roster needed a refreshment anyway, so that was a good move. Right now unfortunately I can say it's only a matter of time until they waste that amazing talent he has because of his Pakistani descent or whatever reason those bastards will have to back them up. And like @itachi-destroyer said above, there really isn't much change or isn't gonna be much change. We should rather face facts that they are only the same. 

3 hours ago, itachi-destroyer said:

It's good for him that he is now part of the main roster even though he is just a spot monkey but I can't help to feel even more sorry for Neville who was a hell of a wrestler (one of their very best in the ring undoubtedly) and who should have had a great career but didn't because he looks like Gollum to some people. People were asking for him to go back to the main roster but no their plan was to make him lose repeatedly to an asshole like Enzo Amore ?

Neville was one of the biggest deals ever - from NXT, to the main roster and then went 205 Live... His heel turn and new gimmick was a damn good move and that really elevated his career at that point. He could've been dominating the mid-card (if that's what they could do) and being a huge star. "The Man who gravity forgot" wasn't at his best, but if "The King of Cruiserweights" (with not that name of course) was on either RAW or SmackDown, believe it or not he'd shine and be a huge star. Whether he looked like Gollum or an elf it didn't matter to me. Sometimes I feel like Vince doesn't like small-sized superstars and he needs to go along with talent rather than size only. I even wonder how Rey Mysterio overcame that bullshit to become a star and one of the biggest names in WWE. 

I just went to the website and saw this right now. I've been hearing rumors about this somewhere before TLC and now I'm nearly convinced as a whole. It sucks that WWE is doing another "paying homage" story, with a recent death-related one. I'm guessing Seth Rollins is gonna have another great year while others will be stuck to where they've always been put. It doesn't even need to be another "1v1" Universal championship main event match. They could always include other superstars who deserve the opportunity, but they are too lazy to prepare something good from it being bad. So what, is he gonna have an IC title rematch at Royal Rumble and lose, then win the Rumble match? Classic WWE. Why not have someone who hasn't been dominating much, only to surprisingly win the rumble and start the push there? Like for example if they let Finn Balor with the IC title at this past WrestleMania, so they could show Seth Rollins didn't accomplish much in 2018, only to surprise fans as he wins the RR in 2019 so things wouldn't look too obvious?  

I think they are bringing back Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens and the NXT call-ups back to help increase ratings, if they know things won't improve.    

Edited by ee28max
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, ee28max said:

Neville was one of the biggest deals ever - from NXT, to the main roster and then went 205 Live... His heel turn and new gimmick was a damn good move and that really elevated his career at that point. He could've been dominating the mid-card (if that's what they could do) and being a huge star. "The Man who gravity forgot" wasn't at his best, but if "The King of Cruiserweights" (with not that name of course) was on either RAW or SmackDown, believe it or not he'd shine and be a huge star. Whether he looked like Gollum or an elf it didn't matter to me. Sometimes I feel like Vince doesn't like small-sized superstars and he needs to go along with talent rather than size only. I even wonder how Rey Mysterio overcame that bullshit to become a star and one of the biggest names in WWE. 

I just went to the website and saw this right now. I've been hearing rumors about this somewhere before TLC and now I'm nearly convinced as a whole. It sucks that WWE is doing another "paying homage" story, with a recent death-related one. I'm guessing Seth Rollins is gonna have another great year while others will be stuck to where they've always been put. It doesn't even need to be another "1v1" Universal championship main event match. They could always include other superstars who deserve the opportunity, but they are too lazy to prepare something good from it being bad. So what, is he gonna have an IC title rematch at Royal Rumble and lose, then win the Rumble match? Classic WWE. Why not have someone who hasn't been dominating much, only to surprisingly win the rumble and start the push there? Like for example if they let Finn Balor with the IC title at this past WrestleMania, so they could show Seth Rollins didn't accomplish much in 2018, only to surprise fans as he wins the RR in 2019 so things wouldn't look too obvious?  

I think they are bringing back Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens and the NXT call-ups back to help increase ratings, if they know things won't improve.    

Exactly, Neville was a tremendous wrestler and who cares about how he looks if he is so good that his talent is overshadowing his face because at the end of the day he always delivered good matches. I remember a match between him and Rollins for the WWE Title and the crowd was hot as f*ck that should have let WWE know that they had a special wrestler. Anyway he was dead the day he debuted his "super hero" gimmick with the cape and everything, when I saw him like that I knew he was doom before having a real chance with the crowd.

Speaking of Vince it felt so weird to see him introducing female talents but I'm sure he was thinking "damn if only it was fifteen years ago I would have been able to see Mandy Rose in a bra and panties match" :P 

And yes I believe that's what's going to happen and he will be the 29 entrant of the royal rumble (since R-Truth is number 30) to "surprise" everyone in attendance. I don't really know the point of the RR and the WM main event if the results are known way before the events happen. At this point I would rather see something totally unexpected like Styles vs Lesnar, Lashley vs Lesnar or even Lars Sullivan vs Lesnar just to have something unexpected that wouldn't look weird. It's a shame because the royal rumbles are fun to watch most of the time (particularly when there is Titus O'Neil ? ) but the results are always leaked and it's practically impossible to avoid them. 

And yes they are coming back but they should have let them come back at the RR without spoiling their returns. And they can do all the call-ups they want they will never be successful if they continue to book their talents like they have been doing for the last few years. Ironically I believe that the most successful call up is going to be EC3 because the most successful former NXT wrestlers on the main rosters are the ones that were not red hot with the NXT crowd. (Charlotte to an extent, Alexa Bliss, Elias and maybe others I missed)

Edited by itachi-destroyer
  • Like 2

The previous posts got a little too "wall of text-y" for me but what I'm gathering is an attitude of nothing changing.  First off, patience.  It's been literally 2 days since the announcement, things aren't gonna turn on a dime like that, especially right now when no one's watching (because of the holidays not the quality) and the shows are pre-taped.  Give it some time and see what the landscape's like.  I'm sure the entire show isn't going to be immediately altered, especially the main event scene, but maybe the mid-card and, more importantly, tag divisions will be at a point where they're entertaining and actually matter.  And honestly, the RAW main event scene is the only show with a problem.  Take the title off of Lesnar and the problem's solved, regardless of who wins it.  If by this time next year, or hell by the end of the summer, nothing's changed then yeah, hit the panic button but until then lets try and at least see what they do before declaring it a failure.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone :)

I skipped a good part of RAW, but one thing in particular peaked my interest.

So, it's finally official. Maybe all those random Tag Team Matches won't be so pointless anymore from now on :P . I don't like the fact that Vince announced it in this comedic segment though. They could've started last week's episode with such a big announcement or at least do it in a more serious manner with a bit more of information.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jesaya815 said:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone :)

I skipped a good part of RAW, but one thing in particular peaked my interest.

So, it's finally official. Maybe all those random Tag Team Matches won't be so pointless anymore from now on :P . I don't like the fact that Vince announced it in this comedic segment though. They could've started last week's episode with such a big announcement or at least do it in a more serious manner with a bit more of information.

Yay...more titles :(

I mean I am OK with the women having their own tag titles but PLEASE unify the rest of the stupid titles first and just have the champs defend on both brands. 

Because what do we have

Universal Champion

Intercontinental Champion

Raw Tag Team

Raw Women's

WWE Title

US Champion

Smackdown Tag Team

Smackdown Womens

Cruiserweight

UK Champion

NXT Champion

NXT Tag Champion

North American Champion

NXT Womens Champion

I might even be missing some...that is a lot of titles.

Also if there will be 2 Womens Tag Team titles that means you will have to have lots of tag teams to fill both the rosters...which means either hiring more women...or the champ fighting the same 2 challengers over and over and over.

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 1

Happy New Year to everyone here. :D 

Anyone know if WWE will stop with the taping of weekly episodes of RAW and SmackDown? Not that it bothers me much, but I'm just curious. 

Spoiler

It seems like John Cena told Vince McMahon to bring up some segment including Nikki Bella that will help Becky Lynch get over even more, with roasting huge names, like Edge recently and now John Cena. 

Don't know why we're still getting Daniel Bryan vs AJ Styles at Royal Rumble, but by the looks of things I think Vince or one of the McMahons will be involved to cost him the opportunity or AJ will get DQ'd because of the so-called "Animalistic beast inside of him" thing.  

On RAW, seems like the Dolph and Drew feud is over. Drew will most likely be the iron man of Royal Rumble 2019 if he doesn't win it. Reports say Apollo Crews will finally be getting a push this year. He does need to be on TV more. In SmackDown's case that needs to be Shelton Benjamin and Tye Dillinger who need more TV time and also future US championship challengers. 

• Like 1

Happy New Year guys! :dance:

1 hour ago, ee28max said:

Anyone know if WWE will stop with the taping of weekly episodes of RAW and SmackDown? Not that it bothers me much, but I'm just curious. 

Reveal hidden contents

It seems like John Cena told Vince McMahon to bring up some segment including Nikki Bella that will help Becky Lynch get over even more, with roasting huge names, like Edge recently and now John Cena. 

Don't know why we're still getting Daniel Bryan vs AJ Styles at Royal Rumble, but by the looks of things I think Vince or one of the McMahons will be involved to cost him the opportunity or AJ will get DQ'd because of the so-called "Animalistic beast inside of him" thing.  

On RAW, seems like the Dolph and Drew feud is over. Drew will most likely be the iron man of Royal Rumble 2019 if he doesn't win it. Reports say Apollo Crews will finally be getting a push this year. He does need to be on TV more. In SmackDown's case that needs to be Shelton Benjamin and Tye Dillinger who need more TV time and also future US championship challengers. 

Both RAW and Smackdown will be live again next week :) . WWE taped the last few shows so that everyone could spent more time with their families. Now that the holidays are over though, they can't use them as an excuse anymore and hopefully start changing things for real.  :P

Spoiler

What they are doing with AJ Styles is pretty interesting. I don't believe AJ will face Shane at WrestleMania again. Vince certainly is too old for a match. So the only one left is Triple H, if he gets cleared to compete.

Yep, that was a dominant performance by Drew McIntyre. I have a feeling Dolph could take a short break for a couple of weeks and be a "surprise entrant" in the Royal Rumble Match like last year.

Seems like Rollins is out of the IC title picture for good. The reason Hunter gave him was stupid, especially when guys like The B-Team or Baron Corbin are part of a No.1 Contender's Battle Royal, yet Seth doesn't deserve another opportunity?! Oh well, Seth mentioning Brock Lesnar was at least an obvious hint to what has been rumored and to what could be next for The Architect.

• Like 1

Happy new year :) 

1 hour ago, Jesaya815 said:

Reveal hidden contents

What they are doing with AJ Styles is pretty interesting. I don't believe AJ will face Shane at WrestleMania again. Vince certainly is too old for a match. So the only one left is Triple H, if he gets cleared to compete.

Yeah it's really interesting but I don't think Triple H will be able to compete at Wrestlemania and even if he was I think he would face Batista since they kind of teased a match between them at Smackdown 1000.

I haven't watched the pre taped episodes of RAW and Smackdown but from what I've read the product doesn't really seem different apart from giving more TV time to the McMahon family which isn't what's going to make the product better ... 

All Elite Wrestling is finally official, I wonder how far they'll be able to go. The promotion is backed by a billionaire so it shouldn't be too bad but we'll have to wait to see if they are just all talk or if they are really serious about bringing a good alternative to other wrestling companies. If Jericho ends up signing with them I'll definitely try to watch AEW though.

• Like 1

RIP Gene Okerlund. First WWE death of 2019, so soon. I remember watching a lot of episodes of the Vintage Collection where he was the host and I was still growing up watching those classic highlight matches presented on that show. Now I'm here watching independently the old matches in the Attitude Era and learning how the stories went. RIP Mr Mean.  

• Like 3

Time for 2019 predictions.  

#1 - Matt Riddle will be NXT's top guy by this time next year.

#2 - The tag division will grow and become relevant, important and entertaining.

#3 - Braun will, for a brief period, have his moment in the sun but Drew will quickly leap-frog him and take over the RAW main event scene.  Shortlyafter, Braun will go to Smackdown.

#4 - this is my bold (aka never gonna happen) prediction.  Charlotte, Becky, and Ronda's work over the next 365 days will cause speculation and rumors that at, not this Wrestlemania, but the next Wrestlemania, the 3 of them going on last and making history... and they 100% deliver with what many consider to be one of the greatest matches of all time.

• Like 2

First predictions of the year, here we go. I'll do a top 3 for each "brand/roster" I watch. (So no 205 live or NXT UK)

NXT

#1 DIY is going to reform as heels but Gargano is going to betray Ciampa and they will end their feud during Wrestlemania 35 week-end with Ciampa losing.

#2 Velveteen Dream IS NOT going to be called-up and he will become NXT Champion.

#3 Io Shirai is going to dominate the NXT women's division.

Smackdown 

#1 AJ Styles will turn heel and dominate either RAW or Smackdown with Gallows and Anderson.

#2 Randy Orton is going to do the McMahon family's dirty job by costing AJ Styles the title at the Royal Rumble and have a feud with him that will end at Wrestlemania 35.

#3 Asuka's reign will not be good because of a lack of competition.

Raw 

#1 Brock Lesnar will win another world title (WWE/Universal championship) by the end of 2019.

#2 Braun Strowman isn't going to win any championship in 2019.

#3 RAW will take most of Smackdown top stars during the shake-up without offering much in return and they will have the best NXT call-ups.

Miscellaneous

#1 Women are going to main event Wrestlemania for the first time in WWE history.

#2 Aleister Black is going to be called-up and totally ruined on the main roster.

#3 The women's tag team division is going to be a huge failure.

• Like 2

Predictions 2019. I think a top 3 would be cool as mentioned above as well. 

NXT

#1 Bianca Belair will be NXT Women's Champion (might not be immediately at TakeOver Phoenix, but eventually), have a good reign and then somehow have her undefeated streak broken as she makes her way to the main roster, just like Asuka.

#2 Candice LeRae will be back dominating stuff after being sidelined for so long.

#3 Matt Riddle and/or Velveteen Dream will become NXT Champion. Kassius Ohno could also lose his mind because of Matt Riddle.

SmackDown

#1 Shane McMahon will betray The Miz and turn heel, thus beginning their feud.

#2 Mandy Rose will probably be champion in 2019, courtesy of MITB or something, but she will in general.

#3 AJ Styles full heel turn because of the McMahons. 

I also hope Shelton Benjamin and Tye Dilinger will be used on TV much more often and have shots at the US championship.

RAW

#1 Drew McIntyre will be Universal champion in 2019

#2 Dean Ambrose's IC title reign will be pretty much good and hopefully have a first time feud with Finn Balor for the title.

#3 Hopefully Sami Zayn will win a title as single or win tag team championships with Kevin Owens to make the division on RAW relevant again.

Bold prediction: Bobby Roode heel turn and feud with Chad Gable, then Jason Jordan returns and come for his friend's aid and reunite as American Alpha (still not sure about Jordan's neck condition and health status which is why it's a bold prediction).

I also hope Zack Ryder will be used on TV much more often. 

Miscellaneous predictions (some are bold as well)

#1 Charlotte and Becky reunite to fight against Ronda and her horsewomen teammates (Shayna, Marina and Jessamyn from NXT)

#2 Right now I also have a feeling that the Women's Tag Team division will be a failure.

#3 John Cena awakens his feud with The Undertaker for WrestleMania 35, have a proper match this time around in a retirement match. At least something that Cena can do for now, to avoid hate on him stealing the new talents' spotlight. 

• Like 2

That's a cool idea. Here are my predictions:

NXT:
#1 The Undisputed Era will hold every title at once (except the NXT Women's Championship of course).
#2 Johnny Gargano and Tommaso Ciampa continue their rivalry throughout the whole year. To keep it fresh, Candice LeRae betrays Johnny Wrestling at some point and side with The Puppet Master.
#3 Pete Dunne will lose the United Kingdom Championship and leave the UK brand to win more gold on NXT, RAW, or Smackdown.

Smackdown:
#1 The Miz fails miserably as a face, because he's just a natural-born heel.
#2 Mustafa Ali will get a huge push until the fans grow tired of him. He ends up back on 205 Live by the end of the year.
#3 thanks to the FOX deal, Smackdown Live will officially be the A-Show for Vince McMahon and consistently draw better ratings than RAW.

RAW:
#1 Sasha & Bayley won't be the first Women's Tag Team Champions.
#2 Seth Rollins will finally be the poster boy of WWE.
#3 The Wyatt Family will reunite and dominate RAW for a while (with or without Braun Strowman).

Miscellaneous:
#1 Shawn Michaels will have another match in 2019.
#2 Dolph Ziggler, Zack Ryder, The Revival, The Good Brothers, and others quit WWE for AEW.
#3 probably the boldest of them all - Kenny Omega signs a contract with WWE and feuds with AJ Styles, Finn Balor, Chris Jericho, and many more.

• Like 2

On 1/5/2019 at 4:51 AM, Jesaya815 said:

Miscellaneous:
#1 Shawn Michaels will have another match in 2019.
#2 Dolph Ziggler, Zack Ryder, The Revival, The Good Brothers, and others quit WWE for AEW.
#3 probably the boldest of them all - Kenny Omega signs a contract with WWE and feuds with AJ Styles, Finn Balor, Chris Jericho, and many more.

I hope Kenny Omega doesn't go to WWE. WWE will just ruin him, best he goes to AEW.

37 minutes ago, jackmadrox said:

I hope Kenny Omega doesn't go to WWE. WWE will just ruin him, best he goes to AEW.

I tend to agree that WWE have sucked for years to build stars but miracles can happen, look at AJ Styles he is the best superstar they have and he is constantly built like a top star. The last time wrestlers were consistently booked in a good way was during the end of the Cena/Orton/Batista/Edge/Rey Mysterio "era". 

I'm not saying Kenny should go to WWE though, but AEW is just getting started and we don't know how good/bad it'll end up being. Who knows what Kenny is going to do since his contract with NJPW is almost over but he is in a tough position and if he wants to come to WWE he better come now before age catches up to him. 

There is also the fact that now that Roman Reigns isn't coming back for the foreseeable future, it is the perfect time for wwe wrestlers to try to take the spot as the face of the company.

The Royal Rumble period is always one of my favourite period in WWE with all the debuting/called-up/returning superstars so who knows if Kenny will debut at this RR, three years after AJ Styles' debut.

• Like 2