The WWE Discussion Thread

fresquinho

And this was after they got classified as an essential business. Meltzer and others already said this was done to maintain a huge profit margin despite the pandemic, aka only done to please shareholders and not required to keep the company profitable. That greedy twat Vince McMahon really has me rooting for the virus to get him, not gonna lie, I already disliked the guy for years but I would give my left arm to seen him gone at this point. Hell among the people fired were even very long time employees like Mike Chioda, that guy did everything the company told him for over 30 years and just got laid off like its nothing, absolutely disgusting. Meanwhile Seth Rollins, the guy who has a wet noodle for a spine, sings the companies praises, cries about the criticism and spews empty nonsense about unifying behind the industry, which must sound like mockery to anyone who got fired.

RIP Howard Finkel. Not just the greatest wrestling announcer to ever live--absolutely no one comes close--but an amazing heel character, and seemed like a damn good guy besides. His booming voice is part of what got me hooked on wrestling back in the early 2000s. He could even make a Stasiak vs. Bagwell match on Heat sound like a big deal... shit, I feel like dusting off my old PS2 and play some good old SmackDown games right now.

What a terrible time to be a wrestling fan.

An anonymous 'WWE employee' requested Orange County Board of Commissions in Florida to shut down the tapings on the preface he doesn't believe the company's line of his job being lost if he doesn't agree with what they are doing.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2020/4/21/21229448/anonymous-wwe-employee-asks-orange-county-shut-down-tapings-forced-to-work-coronavirus

1 hour ago, SelectiveGamer said:

An anonymous 'WWE employee' requested Orange County Board of Commissions in Florida to shut down the tapings on the preface he doesn't believe the company's line of his job being lost if he doesn't agree with what they are doing.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2020/4/21/21229448/anonymous-wwe-employee-asks-orange-county-shut-down-tapings-forced-to-work-coronavirus

Forget about the health concerns (which you should never forget about) but going live right now makes 0 sense anyways.

1. If it is taped you can redo a promo or spot if it doesn't work

2. It is cheaper for the company

3. You can make crazy spots more safe by putting a crash mat down and then cutting to a new angle to make it look real

4. You can do a bunch of shows at once so you actually have long term story planning

5. And it means YOU DON'T HAVE PEOPLE FLYING IN EVERY WEEK WHEN THERE IS A PANDEMIC ON

Seriously there is no good reason to not tape when there is no crowd. What are you afraid spoilers get out? Who cares in this day and age. If the product is good, people will watch. I knew Darth Vader was Luke Skywalker's father before I saw Empire (spoilers by the way) and still loved that movie.

Just tape the damn shows and take care of your performers already.

• 3 weeks later...

It's getting increasingly worse and worse for WWE.

They lost yet another top performer at the worst possible time for possibly as long as 9 months in Becky Lynch. Asuka is not a decent champion replacement. The exact opposite IMO I guess.

Lots of superstars are refusing to perform for understandable reasons and their roster is extremely limited. Now it looks like they have to find an IC champ replacement. Sami Zayn wasn't a good choice IMO anyway but his heel stable was somewhat decent so it's another loss.

Let's top this off with Roman still gone and Rollins likely gone once Lynch gets close to having her child.

Their response? Bring back the Wild Card pretty much. Yeah.

*sighs* AEW wins. ?

Edited by SelectiveGamer

20 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Now it looks like they have to find an IC champ replacement. Sami Zayn wasn't a good choice IMO anyway but his heel stable was somewhat decent so it's another loss.

Wait, weren't the workers told they weren't going to lose their push if they chose not to travel and work during the pandemic?

10 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Hmmmm... so AEW starts a tournament for their new TNT title (which has kicked ass even with the limited roster) and now all of a sudden there's a tourney for a belt that's available because the champion got stripped even though there's "no punishment for staying away".  It's almost like the time Vince spontaneously put a strap match on a PPV right before a certain lashing or moved NXT to Wed nights on cable.  I know AEW's guilty of the same shenanigans, especially with the Mr. Brodie Lee character but at least they own it.

On 5/12/2020 at 10:47 PM, SelectiveGamer said:

They lost yet another top performer at the worst possible time for possibly as long as 9 months in Becky Lynch. Asuka is not a decent champion replacement. The exact opposite IMO 

Surely its gonna be longer than 9 months. First child plus the current health crisis (hopefully averted somewhat down the line) is a long time out imo. I reckon MiTB/ Summerslam 2021. Any earlier and shes mad. 

I still think they should have no live shows and just have a few mad days of making a months worth of stuff. There is no crowd reactions so getting over with the fans is somewhat different. 

Why not just have a mega tournament for the IC belt? Would longer matches put the wrestlers more at risk because of longer exposure to potential carriers? or would more frequent shorter matches work better? Im not sure. 

Or just have a Wyatt directed episode one week. 

On 5/18/2020 at 0:54 AM, jackmadrox said:

Vince is a senile old fart that needs to step down. Point blank. But a friend of mine had a theory that Vince is trying to kill WWE so no one can inherit it after he dies. Not a fact, just speculation.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

So... does anyone have anything to say about how WWE has copied off AEW twice now?

What was copied besides the NXT development talent being a crowd (I assume that is one of them). Is it them switching the camera angle?

Let's not forget AEW actually signing the former WWE guys Dillinger, Ambrose, Hardy, Harper, Goldust... I'd like to think this is a 2-way street right now with each copying off the other.

1 hour ago, johnclark12 said:

What was copied besides the NXT development talent being a crowd (I assume that is one of them). Is it them switching the camera angle?

Let's not forget AEW actually signing the former WWE guys Dillinger, Ambrose, Hardy, Harper, Goldust... I'd like to think this is a 2-way street right now with each copying off the other.

Yeah.

First offense was the camera angle change.

Second offense was putting talent in the fan area

12 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Yeah.

First offense was the camera angle change.

Second offense was putting talent in the fan area

I can see where the 'Selective' part of your name comes from!

How about AEW copied WWE gimmick cinematic matches (Boneyard/MitB) with the Stadium Stampede?

Edited by Darth_Krid
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

That was kinda my point, Almost nothing is original in any form of entertainment anymore.

Oh i posted that more for the original point where people wre flabergasted that someone copied someone.

I mean i dont see anyone posting about the Tyson angle being a copy of something WWF did 22 years ago.