The WWE Discussion Thread

fresquinho

So... how do people feel regarding the... magic? Good? Bad?

On one hand people might say it ain't "real" wrestling... but on the other... WWE is a variety program. Thus you get this Wyatt magic stuff in one match... then the next is an incredible Danial Byran vs Roman Reigns wrestling program. 

It's concerning to me as Pro-Wrestling has been dropping in popularity for a long time and this might be hurting it more than helping it. Yes yes, it's "fake". However, the idea is to present it as real and this sort of stuff, well you may as well have FAKE written out across it as it airs. 

On 3/19/2021 at 4:25 AM, buckallmighty said:

WWE network has moved to Peacock..

Not sure how i feel about it yet. Subscription is cheaper but i cant get it on any of my roku devices. Would have to switch over to chromecast.. ?

Peacock is already proven to be worse than WWE Network as Peacock has already started scrubbing things from WWE it finds offensive. Roddy Piper's match from WM6 has been removed along with Vince's promo where he says the N word.

• Like 2

I'm upset with the move to Peacock. I was planning to get the WWE Network and watch the entire broadcast in chronological order. Definitely skipping most matches and segments I have no interest in, so most 2 hour Raw shows would only be about 30 minutes long for me. But now, wtf yo.

Peacock is certainly going to omit and censor things, but worse than that, they probably aren't going to have everything available for years. Think about the marketing they could do when they can promote that they have added another year of live Raws and Smackdowns. Digital subscription methods only work when you play the long-con... I mean long-game, of getting the subscriber to stick around month after month after month.

Kind of frustrating that I had my chance to watch it all and waited too long to do so.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ZZ383 said:

I'm upset with the move to Peacock. I was planning to get the WWE Network and watch the entire broadcast in chronological order. Definitely skipping most matches and segments I have no interest in, so most 2 hour Raw shows would only be about 30 minutes long for me. But now, wtf yo.

Peacock is certainly going to omit and censor things, but worse than that, they probably aren't going to have everything available for years. Think about the marketing they could do when they can promote that they have added another year of live Raws and Smackdowns. Digital subscription methods only work when you play the long-con... I mean long-game, of getting the subscriber to stick around month after month after month.

Kind of frustrating that I had my chance to watch it all and waited too long to do so.

Entire broadcast, like everything? That'll take you a crazy amount of time!

8 hours ago, ZZ383 said:

They have promised to have everything available before Summerslam this year. 

• Like 1

In the AEW thread I was talking on Jade and how WWE were insane to turn her away. Rather than go somewhat off topic there I'm putting it here.

The only things that make any sense when it comes to them not hiring Jade is either there are some behavioural/background issues we don't know about (hope not), or... and if the case would speak terribly of WWE and isn't impossible... that woman briefly in the Grimes promo a while back. No idea who is she is but I assume a trainee and she is tall and showed some skill with Basketball so maybe she has the same background as Jade and to whoever in WWE making the decision decided to deny Jade off them already having a Black female ex-Basketballer and so feeling a "quota" is filled. I think turning away someone like Jade is really showing of what a failure NXT ultimately is. Vince would have loved to had Jade, heck, I'd say he'd have put her on the main roster as soon as he learned she existed and had a look at her. Why does so much talent get ruined when they go up to the main roster while guys like Elias (nothing in NXT) get given constant appearances? Because NXT does not get and build up the talent that Vince wants. Jim Cornette, considered by many AEW fans to be a "hater" said he'd have had Jade in his promotion at the time of her first match. Talent like that you sign, you don't turn away.

I honestly feel NXT would benefit from being taken from HHH and given to Shane McMahon. It might seem like a bad joke, but I trust Shane to be better able to get people and direct them built up in a way that Vince actually wants than HHH. I mean think about it. Lets say you're at a wrestling company that values "flippy guys" ... you going to be hiring lots of giants and power guys? Likewise, you have a land of giants... going to be hiring flippy guys in large numbers? You're only going to hire a small amount of guys that don't fit your company's profile. I've put it in basic terms, but I think time has clearly shown that NXT does not get/develop the talent by and large that WWE (Vince) actually wants. 

• Like 1

Talking out of my exhaust pipe here, but Jade Cargill probably turned down an offer from WWE due to being trained already elsewhere and not wanting to spend 1-2 years in their development system before making a tv appearance. There isn't much of anything resembling a territory scene where you can get poached from these days. So you go get trained independently and then get told to do bullshit things for a year before making any kind of impact because they didn't like how you wrestled sports entertained.  So they make you relearn all the crap you already know how to do, and give you a new name they own the trademark on. Or go to this other place and earn twice the money, get on tv (or youtube) within weeks, and not have to deal with writers and producers and dozens of other non-sports-entertainers telling you how to sports-entertain.

What Paul wants and what Vince wants are two very different things. One of them hired Finn Balor. The other gave us Lacey Evans. Sadly NXT has dropped the ball on being the serious show it was and is now just the third ring in the awful circus. 

@johnclark12, I'm gonna hold you to that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ZZ383 said:

Talking out of my exhaust pipe here, but Jade Cargill probably turned down an offer from WWE due to being trained already elsewhere and not wanting to spend 1-2 years in their development system before making a tv appearance. There isn't much of anything resembling a territory scene where you can get poached from these days. So you go get trained independently and then get told to do bullshit things for a year before making any kind of impact because they didn't like how you wrestled sports entertained.  So they make you relearn all the crap you already know how to do, and give you a new name they own the trademark on. Or go to this other place and earn twice the money, get on tv (or youtube) within weeks, and not have to deal with writers and producers and dozens of other non-sports-entertainers telling you how to sports-entertain.

Having a quick check on Google, seems they decided against her in 2019. Makes no sense, but as @Rozalia1 put must have been something they didn't like. Guess it was on who did the tryout, maybe it was a Regal-type who values workrate or wanted them to go get some experience or something. Maybe she had a bad day or something, who knows. 

But with NXT, in my opinion it needs to be run more like OVW/FCW was. Take it off TV and make it a proper talent development company again, prepare talents for the main roster and Vince. Doesn't matter who's in charge as long as they get the bigger picture. Hire/reposition Dr Tom, Jim Cornette, Al Snow, Steve Regal etc who can train talent. Then again, NXT is probably making them money and at the end of day, that's all that matters to WWE and the board which is understandable.

Think the greater problem is, Wrestling is now being marketed more towards the 'hardcore' fan than the 'casual', which made the product more interesting. Everybody knows wrestling is fake and casual fans don't care about the in-ring product, it's the story/writing/characters and how they got to that point which people get invested in. WWE needs those big characters again like in the past. Having in-ring technicians is important no doubt, but a entire roster of them just isn't compelling.

Have WWE actually produced any star who wasn't involved with FCW in recent years? Is there even any big star in wrestling under 30 anymore?

7 minutes ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

Having a quick check on Google, seems they decided against her in 2019. Makes no sense, but as @Rozalia1 put must have been something they didn't like. Guess it was on who did the tryout, maybe it was a Regal-type who values workrate or wanted them to go get some experience or something. Maybe she had a bad day or something, who knows. 

But with NXT, in my opinion it needs to be run more like OVW/FCW was. Take it off TV and make it a proper talent development company again, prepare talents for the main roster and Vince. Doesn't matter who's in charge as long as they get the bigger picture. Hire/reposition Dr Tom, Jim Cornette, Al Snow, Steve Regal etc who can train talent. Then again, NXT is probably making them money and at the end of day, that's all that matters to WWE and the board which is understandable.

Think the greater problem is, Wrestling is now being marketed more towards the 'hardcore' fan than the 'casual', which made the product more interesting. Everybody knows wrestling is fake and casual fans don't care about the in-ring product, it's the story/writing/characters and how they got to that point which people get invested in. WWE needs those big characters again like in the past. Having in-ring technicians is important no doubt, but a entire roster of them just isn't compelling.

Have WWE actually produced any star who wasn't involved with FCW in recent years? Is there even any big star in wrestling under 30 anymore?

I agree with you what you've said though I'd say the TV thing isn't the main issue. OVW/FCW did TV, it was just local. This meant the large majority of people did not know of them which can certainly be an issue, that being that guys spend years in NXT and their act just gets run through and when they hit the main roster there just isn't anything for them... hence, why Vince is seemingly always wanting to change things on people when they hit the main roster. His reasoning isn't crazy, but it often does not go well because RAW is booked a mess. Smackdown has been good and I have a suspicion it will be going forward too. Danial Byran has been involved since it "got good again" and I imagine when he hangs it up they'll give him the role of booking the show.

How do you actually fix the years thing? Not have guys down there for huge periods of time. How do you that? Simple. Lay off HHH's indy dream pick ups. RAW and Smackdown can support a lot of talent, but there is so much that the "pipeline" is just clogged up. By not signing so many of those guys and having people being developed get more presence. Instead HHH's idea seems to be having NXT UK/Japan/India/Whatever which... I suppose can allow talent to move around in the WWE system and get less exposed... but it's doing something so complicated and difficult for a problem with a much easier solution.

As for your question on any star produced not involved with FCW... you'd have to define "star" to start with, but I assume you mean "main eventer"... if the women count, then there are a good number there. Charlotte Flair and Becky Lynch got a main event match at Wrestlemania with special attraction Ronda Rousey. Doesn't get more main event than that.

1 hour ago, Rozalia1 said:

How do you actually fix the years thing? Not have guys down there for huge periods of time. How do you that? Simple. Lay off HHH's indy dream pick ups. RAW and Smackdown can support a lot of talent, but there is so much that the "pipeline" is just clogged up. By not signing so many of those guys and having people being developed get more presence. Instead HHH's idea seems to be having NXT UK/Japan/India/Whatever which... I suppose can allow talent to move around in the WWE system and get less exposed... but it's doing something so complicated and difficult for a problem with a much easier solution.

Yeah think this makes a lot of sense. Think the rosters are so large these days, focus on a smaller group would be better in the long run. 

1 hour ago, Rozalia1 said:

As for your question on any star produced not involved with FCW... you'd have to define "star" to start with, but I assume you mean "main eventer"... if the women count, then there are a good number there. Charlotte Flair and Becky Lynch got a main event match at Wrestlemania with special attraction Ronda Rousey. Doesn't get more main event than that.

Sorry, yeah meant 'consistent main eventer'. Kinda was looking at it from a male perspective, but WWE have done fairly well with the women for be fair. Would have said maybe Sasha Banks is now being presented as main event level, but I think she was FCW. Possibly Belair will probably be in discussion too in time, but have to wait I guess. Not a chance that match main events Wrestlemania without Rousey though, but certainly Charlotte is a main event level talent and whilst I think Lynch is overrated as fuck, she got pretty over for a period so deserving of a prominent spot. 

I hope that wasnt the end of the Hurt Business, they were fun and cool, but i think i know im wrong...

Also im worried the Sami/KO fight will have too much "Paul" interaction. (UGH) However i have a sneaky feeling the fight will turn Sami "normal" and him n KO might go on a tag run. 

Hopefully Adam Cole will be permanently brought upto Raw after mania. 

Finally they should bring back Aleister Black raw after mania. And destroy someone. Just not adam cole. Maybe Strowman. 

14 hours ago, punkshepherd said:

I hope that wasnt the end of the Hurt Business, they were fun and cool, but i think i know im wrong...

Also im worried the Sami/KO fight will have too much "Paul" interaction. (UGH) However i have a sneaky feeling the fight will turn Sami "normal" and him n KO might go on a tag run. 

Finally they should bring back Aleister Black raw after mania. And destroy someone. Just not adam cole. Maybe Strowman. 

Paul is a total moron and can't stand him personally, but I guess he could work well in wrestling. Guys a natural heel.

Not sure If Aleister Black will ever return to WWE, which is a shame as he was something different. Seems like Vince doesn't like him and he's married to Zelina Vega, who quit over their third party issues they had with wrestlers using other platforms like Twitch etc. Vince is petty enough to punish him for this. Hopefully, I'm wrong here!

1 hour ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

Paul is a total moron and can't stand him personally, but I guess he could work well in wrestling. Guys a natural heel.

Not sure If Aleister Black will ever return to WWE, which is a shame as he was something different. Seems like Vince doesn't like him and he's married to Zelina Vega, who quit over their third party issues they had with wrestlers using other platforms like Twitch etc. Vince is petty enough to punish him for this. Hopefully, I'm wrong here!

The mishandling of Aleister Black is absolutely atrocious. The mishandling of Keith Lee was absolutely horrifying. Retribution was over as soon as they "signed" with WWE. And The Fiend has been faltering for a good minute now. It's hard to get invested in anyone or anything in WWE because they throw everything away so quickly. 

1 hour ago, jackmadrox said:

The mishandling of Aleister Black is absolutely atrocious. The mishandling of Keith Lee was absolutely horrifying. Retribution was over as soon as they "signed" with WWE. And The Fiend has been faltering for a good minute now. It's hard to get invested in anyone or anything in WWE because they throw everything away so quickly. 

The mishandling of 95% of the callups is atrocious, its impossible to care about the superstars this way, at this point contracts just holding the wrestlers from joining other promotions

18 hours ago, punkshepherd said:

Why would you wish something so bad to a good wrestler? Raw has been the shittiest wrestling show in the world for years without competition. I feel sorry for anyone who got called up or drafted to raw.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sk_lp_him said:

Why would you wish something so bad to a good wrestler? Raw has been the shittiest wrestling show in the world for years without competition. I feel sorry for anyone who got called up or drafted to raw.

Yeah man i know thats the worry. I mean i can say the biggest talents deserve the biggest stage but history has told us, its gonna be a bomb innit. 

Altho im hoping for an interruption of the (then current) WWE champ on the raw after mania. And go into a programme with him. McIntyre would be better i think in that case. 

I did some research regarding Aleister Black and found conflicting stuff about being put on "gardening leave" effectively til his contract runs out.  But then again ive also read he was (sort of already was...) undergoing a character transformation and now hes just waiting for a time to be put back on Smackdown.

Vince is a cranky old billionaire and WWE will be better when he's gone - CM Punk...probably. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm done cheering on Bray Wyatt. There's no use. Until Windham Rotunda leaves WWE, I don't see him being used properly. Time after time, they have squandered him. I can't be invested in him no more. It just hurts to watch something that is so great, be so utterly bad. 

I didn't watch WrestleMania myself... I just read results online. But I'll give my thoughts on it anyway. I'm not going to write an essay though lol. Just short and quick thoughts.

Night 1 appeared to be pretty great.

Night 2 was horrid crap

There is literally no reason whatsoever to give Rhea Ripley a title when she literally just showed up a couple of a weeks ago. ?

But this is WWE after all. They do whatever the f they want. Clearly.

#SaveUsBecky

?

I also liked Night 1 to Night 2. I'd say it was a solid Wrestlemania that really showed just how much elite talent the WWE possesses... such a shame RAW is aa horrid show that drags everything down (Smackdown is good, but it doesn't effect people's view of the product as a whole like RAW does). 

Bobby Lashley and Drew McIntyre... what a visual alone they are. Instantly they stand out and you know are serious business. Physical contest though the finish was weak, I assume botched a bit but even executed perfectly, still weak.

Tag Turmoil match is a nice way of getting a lot of the lower card women on the show rather than having a battle royal... and that is the only nice thing I have to say for it. The Natalya/Tamina tag team is very apt I'll say that. Both older women that every year get random pushes where they're suddenly a threat... putting them in a tag team means you can give them that random push at the same time. Nice.

Cesaro and Rollings was a fun contest but... man, you look at that and can only think... this sort of match should have happened so many years ago. Perhaps at Summerslam against Jack Swagger. 

I felt AJ Styles took too much of a beating in the tag title match... but everything went nicely when Omos got his time. Man sold nothing and destroyed the New day by himself. I like AJ Styles functioning as his coach as ring side telling him what to do. Something that can happen with talent this green is them getting lost out there, but if you have a veteran like AJ calling your spots for you then it is all good. It is also spot calling that makes sense and doesn't break immersion. 

Strowman and Shane was what you expected. I have no earthly idea why WWE has suddenly decided that people memeing that Shane is a main event level means they... just made him one here. In no world should the likes of Shane McMahon be dominating Brawn Strowman. The bully thing is... hollow considering what Strowman has done and I'm sure like Jax, it'll quickly be forgotten in a month. 

Bad Bunny... I get that the guy is apparently serious business... but uh... I felt there was far too much offence from him. Not a fan of the music either, felt Morrison and Miz with their parody song was better... but to be fair that song is supposed to tickle you so if you like the genre or whatever is irrelevant. 

Belair and Banks was excellent and as a big supporter of Belair I was happy that she won. A face using that hair whip is.... off... however, being fair here... the heel, Banks, tried to gain an advantage grabbing Belair's hair so many times that I felt that is enough justification for the face, Belair, to finally lay into her with it at the end. What a visual at the end too when you saw that mark across Banks's body. 

---

Fiend stuff was... poor. First off, after all the insanity thus far... singles match. Like with Masked Orton... Fiend gets rid of his new look very quickly... and then... we have this short match where the Fiend, who has been booked to be indestructible... is taken out by 1 RKO after a distraction by his own manager... had something, anything, happened post match then this might have been saved... but as nothing did the people just booed which... was this the only match across both shows that got displeased fans booing it?

Woman's tag was a RAW match. Nothing special in it. I've seen better Jax vs Tamina moments even. 

Owens and Zayn executed everything as they should have. The post match thing with Paul was the right move... but I felt there was no payoff to the conspiracy thing. I guess there doesn't need to be if Zayn is just crazy and unjustified... but, it'd have been nice. Vince McMahon would have been the easiest and biggest choice on here, very logical too. Sami simply annoys him... then why not fire him? Because he gets a kick out of Sami suffering. A more Russoic version of that would be having it be Kevin Dunn as he has nuclear heat with fans "in the know" and all that.

Riddle and Sheamus was the match above all others which I felt... who cares?

Crews vs Big E was solid and the only match that was firmly a weapons match so it stood out a bit. Bit disappointed in the Nigerian Drum Fight just being a NO DQ match with some instruments at ringside... which already exists in the form of Elias's speciality match, the Sympathy of Destruction. That isn't to say it shouldn't have been that... but I'd have liked some Nigerian drummers around the ring playing the drums throughout the match. Add something to the match, make it more unique. Crews has gotten hot, the only time he has been so in WWE so him winning here was the right move. 

Rhea Ripley was screwed last year after she lost to Charlotte and basically wandered NXT pointlessly for a year afterwards... so winning here was the correct move. Everything was solid, no Belair vs Banks, but still very much an elite woman's match.

Triple Threat had the big time feel and you felt anybody had a shot, which is generally what you want in a match to keep interest. 

On 12/04/2021 at 3:53 AM, jackmadrox said:

I'm done cheering on Bray Wyatt. There's no use. Until Windham Rotunda leaves WWE, I don't see him being used properly. Time after time, they have squandered him. I can't be invested in him no more. It just hurts to watch something that is so great, be so utterly bad. 

Wyatt's best form was cult leader Wyatt that he debuted with. WWE squandered him by having him lose again and again and again, and his feuds all always being repeats. Attack face, "they're lying to you man", gets pinned, attacks some other face, "they're lying to you man", gets pinned", and so on.

The Fiend version on the other hand was squandered not by him losing like he did here, but by him being too silly and absurd in how he'd win his matches. 

8 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

I didn't watch WrestleMania myself... I just read results online. But I'll give my thoughts on it anyway. I'm not going to write an essay though lol. Just short and quick thoughts.

Night 2 was horrid crap

There is literally no reason whatsoever to give Rhea Ripley a title when she literally just showed up a couple of a weeks ago. 1f620.png

But this is WWE after all. They do whatever the f they want. Clearly.

#SaveUsBecky

1f614.png

Rhea is considered an elite talent and was a stand out in NXT. Asuka's last match on PPV defending her title was... in September I believe... at Clash of Champions where she had to defend her title and it was against... Zelina Vega, someone who functioned primarily as a manager and was not in any way considered a main event calibre talent. Now generally yes, WWE does love the whole "Person calls out/attacks champion so gets title match" thing... but here it is fully justified. The RAW women's division is so wrecked that the only people in it who could have realistically faced Asuka were Nia Jax and Shayna Baszler, the woman's tag champions, as they are the only credible people in it. In kayfabe (some would go beyond that) the division is filled with such losers that Asuka doesn't even get PPV matches. 

As for actually giving her the win... Rhea needs the title far more than Asuka does. It was the correct move, though Rhea should be very thankful to that doctor who got Charlotte taken off the show because if she was on the show... well, high chance Charlotte would have been the one becoming champion here.

well they've done some good...

1. Lashley retained. he deserves a long run. End in  feud with Brock like LASHLEY was promised.

2. Rhea as champ. She help carry NXT for a long time, she was more than ready last year. She is easily able to be the FACE of the women's division on either brand.

3. Fiend losing to Orton kind of sucked BUT i mean what would happen if he won? where does he go? i think doing what they did with Alexa and Fiend and now Bray back in the funhouse... there is many ways they can take it and im still intrigued.

4. Roman retaining was the right choice. Edge doesnt need a title. he came back. Thats enough for now. Bryan was meant to be the fall guy originally. 

5. Cesaro beat Rollins in a great match. I could see Cesaro win 2 more big matches and TAKE the title OFF Roman in June/July. I bet Cesaro beats Roman. Even if some BS MITB Cash in happens after.

plus Austin broken skull mentions a lot of AEW. all i can say is its a great time to be a fan of ALL Wrestling. wwe, aew, nxt if you count it separately, njpw etc.

but since this is a wwe thread. Its gonna be fun.

As for fans going forward, it depends how many catch the virus post mania i guess. But i could see the big 4 or at least 3 having fans until everything is 100% normal. and thats Mania, SummerSlam, Rumble.

15 hours ago, SelectiveGamer said:

Night 2 was horrid crap

Did the same, felt the card was very meh but seems the show was better than most expected. Only had interest in the Triple Threat Main Event and Drew/Lashley which both appeared to be good. Rest could have been on a C-grade PPV.

6 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

Cesaro beat Rollins in a great match. I could see Cesaro win 2 more big matches and TAKE the title OFF Roman in June/July. I bet Cesaro beats Roman. Even if some BS MITB Cash in happens after.

I'd like this, but can't see it happening as well....this is WWE. When Roman does lose his title, hopefully it goes to somebody who would benefit fully from the victory rather than a part-timer or a already high profile guy like Bryan, Drew or Braun. I'd pick Cesaro looking at the current roster though to fill that criteria, maybe Big E too. Think they'll be big contenders to win MITB, if not getting a program with Roman at some point. 

5 minutes ago, GloriousFury9414 said:

I'd like this, but can't see it happening as well....this is WWE. When Roman does lose his title, hopefully it goes to somebody who would benefit fully from the victory rather than a part-timer or a already high profile guy like Bryan, Drew or Braun. I'd pick Cesaro looking at the current roster though to fill that criteria, maybe Big E too. Think they'll be big contenders to win MITB, if not getting a program with Roman at some point. 

Big E is feuding with Roman after Backlash. He lost the IC title to move up the card but ykno, usual rematch first.

All i know is Bliss/Fiend is still the best thing on Raw. Unless Bliss goes back to normal, long term storytelling. 

On 4/13/2021 at 1:06 AM, Infected Elite said:

well they've done some good...

1. Lashley retained. he deserves a long run. End in  feud with Brock like LASHLEY was promised.

2. Rhea as champ. She help carry NXT for a long time, she was more than ready last year. She is easily able to be the FACE of the women's division on either brand.

3. Fiend losing to Orton kind of sucked BUT i mean what would happen if he won? where does he go? i think doing what they did with Alexa and Fiend and now Bray back in the funhouse... there is many ways they can take it and im still intrigued.

4. Roman retaining was the right choice. Edge doesnt need a title. he came back. Thats enough for now. Bryan was meant to be the fall guy originally. 

5. Cesaro beat Rollins in a great match. I could see Cesaro win 2 more big matches and TAKE the title OFF Roman in June/July. I bet Cesaro beats Roman. Even if some BS MITB Cash in happens after.

plus Austin broken skull mentions a lot of AEW. all i can say is its a great time to be a fan of ALL Wrestling. wwe, aew, nxt if you count it separately, njpw etc.

but since this is a wwe thread. Its gonna be fun.

As for fans going forward, it depends how many catch the virus post mania i guess. But i could see the big 4 or at least 3 having fans until everything is 100% normal. and thats Mania, SummerSlam, Rumble.

All they did was take bray wyatt and apply it to Alexa bliss. whatever. don't care.