The WWE Discussion Thread

fresquinho

I don't have much to say about SummerSlam honestly. Edge/Seth Rollins was probably the best match of the PPV. Admittedly though Cena/Reigns was better than I thought it would be.

Both Becky Lynch and Brock Lesnar returned at the PPV. Whether this is a good thing or not and if it'll prevent their DELETION (lolno) is up to interpretation I guess.

• Like 1

WWE as usual, stupid dull and just embarrassing after years of this pabulum. Bianca could well work better as a heel but cutting her down like this as a face is not something you should be doing. 

Brock Lesnar if a face is nice yeah as Lesnar as has this nice weirdness to his promos... but everyone knows he won't be around often and once again WWE is going to these old guys rather than building a face up to defeat Roman Reigns. I suppose you could point towards Big E existing especially as he has money in the bank but he hasn't really been getting heated up I've felt.

• Like 1

There was a recent interview with the infamous Nick Khan and info regarding NXT tells us that the changes are close and that 2015ish NXT is the goal they're shooting for when you had minimal indy guys and many homegrown talents, oh and the show was at its best. Note that the only successful talents from NXT are from that period where management wasn't allowed to go crazy on indy guys. Nick Khan during the interview made a joke, or perhaps more of a threat, when questioned on RAW being 3 hours and that being too long, that he'd be happy if they could do 4! hour RAWs and 8!!! hour Smackdowns... but only so much "great" creative can be put out of course so that'd be tough. 

Considering how much WWE loves the company being a heel and being "meta", I do wonder why Nick Khan isn't an on screen figure at this point. Telling a face they're fired if they don't have a match at least 15 mins long to eat up time for the show. Book some other face in 3 consecutive matches because he has to reduce the amount of people that feature on the show so he can pay out money to less performers. Some weeks having out of nowhere meaningless 1 hour iron man matches between midcarders. The last hour of RAW randomly becoming a 1 hour gameshow called "The RAW Deal" with him as the host that always ends the same way. For the winner to win the money they have to answer one last question, where he then asks a high level question only experts in small fields can actually answer. If anybody actually somehow gets such a question correct they legitimately win the money, but Khan then fires them to make up for the lost money. 

It'd be jacking off while killing their own show yes, but when has that ever stopped WWE. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have confirmation it seems that Vince McMahon will be producing NXT from now on as HHH cannot be trusted it seems. A lot of online people are mad/scared at such at thing as it is always something they have talked about as what would quickly destroy NXT... but... I'm not so sure I buy that. Vince McMahon was 205 Live's producer when it was at its best and the show took a massive hit the moment HHH took over. That was a show with small guys who Vince is known to not like and he clearly put effort in with them. I remember many wrestlers of that era of 205 talking about it stating that Vince would work with them on their gimmick and he'd give them a whole bunch of advice. If NXT gets that Vince where the wrestlers can get a good amount of face time with the boss who think what you want of him, has a wealth of experience, then I don't think it will be a bad show.

I doubt Vince much concerns himself much with this but it'd do his legacy some good if he did actually make NXT work. Vince is heavily perceived these days as an uncaring monster who will at a whim just bury a guy for no reason. 

Side note. Being happy at someone's misfortune is not nice and all yes. However I can't say I'm much fussed about HHH losing his influence. HHH's booking is largely boring, sterile stuff. If he tries to not be boring then he crosses into goofy. The nicest thing you can say about his booking is he does honestly give the women a fair shot. 

HHH losing all his influence likely means also what I've said before, that Shane will get all the power when Vince goes is likely the case. Vince can't even hand it to HHH now with the idea that he'd be the best guy for the job as clearly Vince has lost any faith he had in him. A Shane led WWE who knows what that'd perform but I'll say this, I doubt it'd be this sterile promotion that WWE currently is. For those who might think Shane is completely disinterested due to how detached he is from the company, even when he returned he wasn't involved in any of the booking... many years back, forget the exact date, Shane made an offer to Vince for him and some people to take over the booking of WWE and shake things up. Vince turned him down, but the point is clearly Shane would like to book if given the chance to. 

Word is that HHH has just been hospitalised in a "cardiac event", many thinking a heart attack. All the best to him and that he makes a full recovery. The obvious joke of course is that what Vince is doing to NXT caused it. Though in all seriousness, the stress of it all can't have helped.

On 06/09/2021 at 9:59 PM, SelectiveGamer said:

*sips from cup that says I TOLD YOU SO on it*

WWE management has now denied that Vince will be doing it personally and that it is just lies by Meltzer. Which makes sense. Vince doesn't need to manage it personally when he can have a stooge do it for him.

16 hours ago, Valzentia said:

I'm more surprised Vince's control freak tendencies didn't cause him to take NXT back from Hunter ages ago.

Vince stepped back from the signing of people quite a ways back and as such he tends to see and meet people from NXT for the first time when they are sent to the main roster. As for why he hasn't disturbed NXT sooner... this is speculation but some believe that that is by design by Dunn and/or other stooges. They're in a political battle with HHH for whoever takes over the company after Vince dies (stooges can't inherit it themselves, but they can have Shane who they like get it who won't then fire them all like HHH will) and so they've purposely sabotaged NXT so HHH has happen to him what is happening now, Vince extremely unhappy with him and taking away his influence in the company.

Thing is... on one hand yes, stuff like NXT getting so little promotion from the WWE machine, popular NXT guys getting buried near instantly, that stuff is obviously Dunn and company trying to hurt NXT and when AEW came about, to help AEW beat NXT. However... Dunn and co shouldn't have to be telling HHH that he shouldn't be going crazy with Indy guys that Vince obviously isn't going to like. HHH should have known that and made NXT something that Vince would be happy with and not his own personal super indy fed. As such, hard to feel bad for HHH as all this is happening due to his own arrogance/incompetence at the end of the day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As expected extreme rules was complete and utter trash. I can't decide what was more stupid - the Bliss tantrum or the Balor rope bs. I'd be surprised if MeekMahon is sober while booking this "great entertainment". Oh and we got Sasha's third or fourth or fifth return this year.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, sk_lp_him said:

As expected extreme rules was complete and utter trash. I can't decide what was more stupid - the Bliss tantrum or the Balor rope bs. I'd be surprised if MeekMahon is sober while booking this "great entertainment". Oh and we got Sasha's third or fourth or fifth return this year.

thats why i stick to AEW. No one wants to see Lukemia retain the title all the time, to drop to who? Dwayne? garbage.

1 minute ago, willmill97 said:

So Regular Rules isn't worth a watch?

if you have no issue watching half star matches and regular matches be considered extreme because its a 3 way or 6 man tag, then go ahead, knock yourself out.  But i avoided it. 

3 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

thats why i stick to AEW. No one wants to see Lukemia retain the title all the time, to drop to who? Dwayne? garbage.

if you have no issue watching half star matches and regular matches be considered extreme because its a 3 way or 6 man tag, then go ahead, knock yourself out.  But i avoided it. 

Lukemia? Really? Come now, have some basic respect. Your comment on him retaining makes no sense either considering you then mention AEW who also has a heel champion who largely always wins, is surrounded by clowns (Roman at least has serious people around him and is well established that he doesn't even really need them as he is that overpowered), and do constant beatdowns of faces which comes off worse than with Roman as goofs are doing it.

Star ratings? Oh dear. Star ratings are subjective but beyond that a low rated match can be more enjoyable and better in many respects from one that is rated higher, Meltzer and his particular liked brand of wrestling shows that quite clearly as he often gives strong story based matches low ratings while Indyriffic messes that make no sense get top marks. 

As for rules. Sticking to rules on a show where rules are supposed to be "extreme" is stupid yes. AEW 99% of the time crapping on rules on their shows is far worse.

On 22/09/2021 at 8:48 AM, sk_lp_him said:

Extreme rules ppv with barely any "extreme" matches. Why do they even keep this ppv going? It's obvious the out of touch old man is looking forward to the saudi blood money and is not even pretending to care about extreme rules.

They keep it going because WWE is content (bloat) focused and so monthly PPVs is something they must churn out even if it abundantly clear that it only leads to negatives. At least how they do them. If Roman for example only defended his title on PPV every 3 months for example than you wouldn't get things like Kevin Owens losing on Smackdown every week, then on the PPVs, then on Smackdown some more, then on another PPV, again and again. Instead Owens could get a high number of wins over heels on the path to facing Roman, have the 1 match, lose, and move on.

4 hours ago, sk_lp_him said:

It was the Balor literal rope break. They booked themselves into a corner they did not know how to get out of and their solution was simply bizarre. I can instantly come up with a better solution on the spot. During the match Brock comes down to the ring and destroys both men. Both men are out for a bit but Balor gets up and wishes to continue. Roman, the heel, tells the referee that he can't continue and the match is called off. Balor on Smackdown can then promo that Roman didn't continue because he knew he was losing to Balor. Brock meanwhile is a coward who attacked both men because while he may not care who is champion, he wants to face a weakened champion as he is the next contender. This naturally sets up a triple threat. If Roman is dropping the title then he gets pinned. If he ain't then Lesner gets pinned. Balor can then either get another championship match as he has at no point been beaten or you just... move him away from the title picture as he had his shots and didn't win them. 

4 minutes ago, SelectiveGamer said:

How long are they going to last before AEW buys them?

Yes this is a legit question

??? WWE is still worth many times more than AEW and I doubt Tony Khan's father would be willing to buy WWE for his son as it'd be too much % of his fortune. You also need to remember that we do not know what the future holds. Vince and the system around him isn't going to last much longer and when Shane takes over he may very well revitalise the company as Shane has always had a good mind for business. He wanted Vince to buy UFC before it got really big. He wanted to back online stuff before it was hip. He was a supporter of ECW when that was the underground popular thing. 

Yes, I'm assuming here on Shane taking over but come on... I don't buy it that Vince McMahon of all people would hand his company over to his daughter rather than his son who by all accounts was what Vince wanted to be when he was younger like Shane (Vince wanted to be a wrestler but his father Vince senior would have none of it). Shane isn't a full time wrestler by any means yes, but since his youth he has been wrestling in matches and taking massive bumps. 

• Like 2

What it looked more bizarre to me was Reign "assisted" by God to defeat D Balor. I know, I know, the reason was just try to don't "bury" the demon, make him look good but it was just not right. The great heel of wwe assisted by God? There are people speculating that the Demon betrayed Balor and now will be separated from Balor. Please don't do that f stupid bs.

And poor Alka Seltzer Bliss, going nowhere with her gimmick.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2021 at 4:53 PM, SelectiveGamer said:

How long are they going to last before AEW buys them?

Yes this is a legit question

It's far more likely that WWE will buy AEW given their past experiences with competition ?

• 3 weeks later...

So anyone given NXT2 a shot? A lot of green guys on there but they've unearthed some gems with their initiative. Bron Breakker, who is 24, being the most notable one as everyone that is somebody in the business has remarked that he an incredible talent that hasn't come along in a long time. Very talented guy to the point I'm not wholly sure if not putting the title on him was the right move. I can understand why you wouldn't put the title on him (especially as it is WWE and they don't want to risk another Roman Reigns situation)... but at the same time I can see why you would. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

So anyone given NXT2 a shot? A lot of green guys on there but they've unearthed some gems with their initiative. Bron Breakker, who is 24, being the most notable one as everyone that is somebody in the business has remarked that he an incredible talent that hasn't come along in a long time. Very talented guy to the point I'm not wholly sure if not putting the title on him was the right move. I can understand why you wouldn't put the title on him (especially as it is WWE and they don't want to risk another Roman Reigns situation)... but at the same time I can see why you would. 

Yeah, I've only seen a few but enjoyed more than I thought I would. Focusing on youth and more 'gimmick' driven characters should benefit it long term, looking for more talent like Bron Breakker will mean more to WWE than finding 10+ workrate guys who will get lost on the main roster. Regardless of AEW, I felt like NXT was going on a decline from 2018 onwards and had truly lost it's way of being 'developmental'.

Breakker no doubt has a very high ceiling, love the throwback gear to The Steiners also. Despite being Rick Stiener's son he reminds me so much of Scott, he even sounds the same! 

3 hours ago, Glorious Fury said:

Yeah, I've only seen a few but enjoyed more than I thought I would. Focusing on youth and more 'gimmick' driven characters should benefit it long term, looking for more talent like Bron Breakker will mean more to WWE than finding 10+ workrate guys who will get lost on the main roster. Regardless of AEW, I felt like NXT was going on a decline from 2018 onwards and had truly lost it's way of being 'developmental'.

Breakker no doubt has a very high ceiling, love the throwback gear to The Steiners also. Despite being Rick Stiener's son he reminds me so much of Scott, he even sounds the same! 

Completely agree with you. NXT hasn't been fit for purpose in getting guys WWE ready for a long time and even if people liked that form of NXT, it was obviously in decline. This change was something that I'd wanted for years so it is amazing that they actually are doing it. Not done perfectly obviously, but on the right track.

Speaking of Steiners, a lot of people have an issue with the fact he doesn't have the Steiner name and... yeah, I can see that. He really should have it but WWE is holding firm currently to keeping him as Breakker... makes me wonder if WWE is doing it on purpose to try and not have Bron perceived as a "chosen one", after all WWE won't allow him to have his name.  

9 hours ago, Rozalia1 said:

Speaking of Steiners, a lot of people have an issue with the fact he doesn't have the Steiner name and... yeah, I can see that. He really should have it but WWE is holding firm currently to keeping him as Breakker... makes me wonder if WWE is doing it on purpose to try and not have Bron perceived as a "chosen one", after all WWE won't allow him to have his name.  

They are doing it because they can trade mark the stupid WWE name but can't trade mark his real name.

13 hours ago, sk_lp_him said:

They are doing it because they can trade mark the stupid WWE name but can't trade mark his real name.

Well actually I do believe they can. They'd just lose instantly if Bron disputes I think so same difference yes.

It might well be as simple as that as WWE for a long time has not been in the business of allowing people their names, with some exceptions, but this one does seem big enough for them to make an exception. Bron has enough potential to be the next "guy" and once he is said guy having the Steiner name would be more helpful for him. 

You know... I wonder... considering that there is absolutely no one to take the title from Roman Reigns... could they have Roman hold the title in a 1000+ day run until Bron is ready? I'd rather not have heel champions with massive title reigns but this is WWE the evil heel empire so that obviously isn't an issue. Bron beating, perhaps even squashing, a Roman with a 3 year long reign would certainly instantly make him as the face of the company. 

14 hours ago, sk_lp_him said:

Yeah, I think Rex Steiner was going to be used but WWE want merchandising rights on all talent if possible. Bron's actual surname is 'Rechsteiner' so I'm guessing it sounded too similar to 'Rex Steiner'. Guessing Vince just decided on a name change and scrapping the whole 'Steiner' name all together. They could have thought of something better though ?

36 minutes ago, Rozalia1 said:

Well actually I do believe they can. They'd just lose instantly if Bron disputes I think so same difference yes.

It might well be as simple as that as WWE for a long time has not been in the business of allowing people their names, with some exceptions, but this one does seem big enough for them to make an exception. Bron has enough potential to be the next "guy" and once he is said guy having the Steiner name would be more helpful for him. 

You know... I wonder... considering that there is absolutely no one to take the title from Roman Reigns... could they have Roman hold the title in a 1000+ day run until Bron is ready? I'd rather not have heel champions with massive title reigns but this is WWE the evil heel empire so that obviously isn't an issue. Bron beating, perhaps even squashing, a Roman with a 3 year long reign would certainly instantly make him as the face of the company. 

He's got all the tools but guessing it'll come down to the execution of it all. Certain demographics will just hate on anybody who is 'manufactured' just like they did with Cena/Reigns so they'll have to be careful. The Roman rub should go to a potential new FOTC candidate, and as you said it could easily be several years. Nobody on the roster right now imo fills that criteria. Big E probably was the conceptual choice I would have thought originally to be considered to beat Reigns, but obviously they put the WWE Title on him instead. 

• Like 1