The WWE Discussion Thread

fresquinho

So Daniel Bryan is going to be in the 2015 Royal Rumble, the Authority is "officially back", and apparently Christian has disintegrated due to a shot to the stomach by a golden briefcase.

With the exception of the former, I have to say I am more than ever disappointed in the WWE writing staff. Thought it was a pretty good episode, given the real feel of most of the sessions based upon superstar dialogue; enjoyed the Ascension's main roster debut (they didn't cheapen themselves, nor did Damien Sandow/Mizdow suffer from it as he showed a strong performance despite being beaten), but when it came down to the last twenty minutes of show -- it just shows that they just don't have much option to go with, and that Paul Levesque seriously cannot stay out of a direct, on-screen spotlight for more than a month.

Get ready... for more... 15 minute... Triple H... promos.

Fucking hell. ¬_¬

Get ready... for more... 15 minute... Triple H... promos.

Fucking hell. ¬_¬

I'd much rather have that than the special guest hosts every week. At least HHH can talk, and he plays a great heel.

Also, on a different subject, Big Show was pretty good on commentary. I wouldn't mind him in that role, after he retires from in-ring stuff.

And that Ryback promo was very weird. I assume it was supposed to inspire people, and make him likeable, but he has the personality of a brick. Just keep him as the big meathead, and keep him away from anything important.

Personally, I enjoyed the Ryback promo. Granted, it did feel a tad bit out of place, but if Ryback is indeed going to be the first to defeat Rusev clean, then might as well make him sympathetic to the crowds and turn him face.

Also, to the crowd chanting "What" while he was trying to tell his story, just disrespectful. that showed no class at all.

Personally, I enjoyed the Ryback promo. Granted, it did feel a tad bit out of place, but if Ryback is indeed going to be the first to defeat Rusev clean, then might as well make him sympathetic to the crowds and turn him face.

Also, to the crowd chanting "What" while he was trying to tell his story, just disrespectful. that showed no class at all.

I hope Ryback isn't going to break Rusev's streak. It should last until Wrestlemania, and give it to someone else, like Reigns. I just have no faith in Ryback, and I've never really been a fan of his. He's big, he can't talk, and he can barely wrestle. As soon as the "Feed me more" chant wears off, he has nothing. I'd hate for Rusev's streak to be broken by a guy who may be jobbing again in a few months.

But I agree the "What" chant is annoying. It only works on heels who actually work with it (leave enough space between sentences for the fans to chant 'what'). Most of the people who do it now, have no idea what it's about. They just know it has to do with Stone Cold, and everyone else does it.

Honestly, I can't say I'd feel any bit of satisfaction in Rusev's eventual loss unless it comes at the hands of someone worthwhile.

If you they wanna do it right, it either has to be for a major return, or as a huge statement. 

Maybe for Neville whenever he makes his appearance (or down the line after he's been recognized as a main roster player) -- but again, only if it makes sense.

Really liked the concept of the Ryback promo, but it feels as though it was received incorrectly.

I love seeing superstars breaking the fourth wall every now and again, but it's also up to the crowd to create the moment, just as much as it's up to the performer to be a good speaker. Certainly need more off-the-cuff speakers, given how much is pre-written; it's visibly noticeable (especially if you're Roman Reigns).

In the end: at least they weren't doing another fucking "CM Punk" chant.  :facepalm:

• Like 1

Just got done reading the "Ideal Wrestlemania 31 card" article on cagesides.com, and honestly, I can't think of a much more entertaining card. They make all the right points, in my opinion, in a way that I think would make many fans happy.

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2014/12/31/7476439/ideal-wrestlemania-31-card-seth-rollins-vs-daniel-bryan-iron-man-match-wwe

Also, as a side note: I was in the audience for the Goldberg/Lesnar match. It was awful.

You know you have a shit match when the only crowd reaction is to a guy dressed like Hogan running around the 300 level seats of Madison Square Garden.

That PPV marked the last time I would watch anything WWE related until the 2014 Money in the Bank PPV.

That card would be good, but I doubt it will happen. I just don't see WWE having an Ironman match between 2 actual wrestlers.

This is the card I currently have in my head. It's not as fun as that one above.

Lesnar vs. Bryan- WWE Championship. I don't think Reigns is ready to become the top guy yet. Fans are already turning on him, and it's obvious Bryan is still the biggest face in the company. I also don't see Rollins cashing in on Lesnar, unless he wants to turn face. He has an alliance with Heyman now, so I think they should use that here. Have Lesnar lose to Bryan, but make him look strong through the match. Basically it would be an underdog victory for Bryan. If Brock is on his way out, then this is the perfect time to give Heyman a new guy. After the match, Lesnar can beat up Bryan, then leave the ring. Heyman calls down Rollins, and he successfully cashes in. Lesnar is out, Rollins and Heyman are together, and Bryan has a story to follow.

Reigns vs. Rusev. Obviously WWE wants Reigns to be the next top guy. He's not ready to be champion, but he can start at the U.S. Title. Keep Rusev undefeated until Wrestlemania, where Reigns will challenge him. They can set it up at the Royal Rumble, by having Rusev eliminate Reigns. Reigns can have a run with the U.S. title, to see how he does, and he can look good by being the first guy to beat Rusev.

Nikki vs. Brie vs. AJ vs. Paige- Divas Championship. Since these were the only divas really fighting for the title the whole year, just have a Fatal-4-Way.

Cena vs. Undertaker(?) This is the first time where I have no idea what Cena can do at Wrestlemania. I think Taker is done, and will likely get a HoF spot this year. But if not, then they can have the one Undertaker Wrestlemania match that we haven't seen yet. This can be Taker's farewell match. And since he lost last year, the streak doesn't need to be a worry here. Cena can win, and no one will be upset, since it would be a show of respect afterwards. Just like the Ric Flair/HBK match, where Flair retired.

HHH vs. Sting. They already set this up. Now with the Authority back in power, I have a feeling we'll see Sting appear more often.

Andre Memorial Battle Royal. If that was a one time thing, then any big multi-man match can go here. Guys like Orton, Ziggler, Ambrose, Wyatt, Ryback, etc. Will need something to do.

NXT match. I would like to see them have one match to showcase the NXT stars. It can be a great way to show off the new talent to the more casual fans, who only watch Wrestlemania for the big names. Have Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens, Hideo Itami, Finn Balor, and Adrian Neville in some kind of match. If you want more people to subscribe to the Network, then show them what kind of wrestling you have on there. Wrestlemania is the one time of year to do it, when you have millions of eyes on your product.

Am I the only one who questions the actual value of the US Title?

It certainly doesn't hold the weight of the WWE World Heavyweight Championship, but even the Intercontinental Championship has finally begun to feel as though it has worth again.

The Divas and Tag-Team Championships have their times in the spotlight, sharing a purpose filled with gimmicks and poor showings, but at least we get a gist of why they exist. However, I just haven't felt that with the United States Championship since who knows when. Hell, the European Championship felt like it had a hell of a lot more purpose a decade or so back -- and even the Hardcore Championship used to add a good fifteen or so minutes to every show.

My best guess: they eventually merge the IC and US titles. When, where and why? Who knows?

• Like 1

Am I the only one who questions the actual value of the US Title?

It certainly doesn't hold the weight of the WWE World Heavyweight Championship, but even the Intercontinental Championship has finally begun to feel as though it has worth again.

The Divas and Tag-Team Championships have their times in the spotlight, sharing a purpose filled with gimmicks and poor showings, but at least we get a gist of why they exist. However, I just haven't felt that with the United States Championship since who knows when. Hell, the European Championship felt like it had a hell of a lot more purpose a decade or so back -- and even the Hardcore Championship used to add a good fifteen or so minutes to every show.

My best guess: they eventually merge the IC and US titles. When, where and why? Who knows?

I feel the same way. I've wanted the merge of the U.S. and IC titles ever since I heard the rumors of it happening. The merge of the WWE and WHC have made the one title feel more important. There is no more 'second rate' champion on Smackdown, that only has the title because Smackdown needs something. They need to merge the U.S and IC titles, and make that one feel more important too. Elevate it to the point where it feels like the second best title. Have guys like Reigns, Ambrose, Rusev, etc. Hold the title and eventually get to the big prize.

They also need to change the look of the tag titles, they look like giant pennies. And get rid of the ugly Divas Title, and bring back the Women's Championship.

Oh, definitely need to change the Spartan Helm Pennies for aesthetic reasons.

As for the Divas title, I don't think it'll change as long as Total Divas is marketable. Otherwise, I just have my reservations on going back to the Women's Title, as to avoid damaging the name of respectable Women's Champions of the past.

*shrug*

As for the IC Championship, it has always been seen as the "workhorse title", which is partially why I have no issue with someone like Ziggler holding the title. The guy has good matches as often as possible, and does whatever possible to sell his opponent, though I'd still rather prefer to see him showcase his own offensive more often.

I don't think Reigns is as capable, and the likes of Wyatt and Ambrose are just in a situation where they're fine without titles (though ideally they would want one).

I feel the same way. I've wanted the merge of the U.S. and IC titles ever since I heard the rumors of it happening. The merge of the WWE and WHC have made the one title feel more important. There is no more 'second rate' champion on Smackdown, that only has the title because Smackdown needs something. They need to merge the U.S and IC titles, and make that one feel more important too. Elevate it to the point where it feels like the second best title. Have guys like Reigns, Ambrose, Rusev, etc. Hold the title and eventually get to the big prize.

They also need to change the look of the tag titles, they look like giant pennies. And get rid of the ugly Divas Title, and bring back the Women's Championship.

The diva's title is serving its purpose, my 4 year old daughter loves her butterfly belt, which I'm sure is what Vince wanted when it was designed  :eyebrow:

I think Taker should be done. He should just disappear into the myths and legends of pro wrestling history. I'll miss him, but he really isn't around anymore anyways, so the streak ending should be it, IMO. 

Besides, Taker was down on the mat for over 5 minutes at WM30. He could barely get to his feet after the match was over. It's just time. 

But then again, that's not our call.

I think Taker should be done. He should just disappear into the myths and legends of pro wrestling history. I'll miss him, but he really isn't around anymore anyways, so the streak ending should be it, IMO. 

Besides, Taker was down on the mat for over 5 minutes at WM30. He could barely get to his feet after the match was over. It's just time. 

But then again, that's not our call.

Here is what I want from Taker at WM31

Sting vs HHH where HHH has victory in hand and then all of a sudden BONG lights go out and Taker is standing in the ring. Tombstone to HHH, Sting gets the pin and we get a huge Wrestlemania moment where Sting and Undertaker shake hands.

See a lot of people want to see those two do battle at Wrestlemania, but let's face it that match will suck. This way we get the two in the ring but are saved from witnessing a potentially terrible match. Win, Win :)

• Like 1

The toughest factor between the Sting/Taker dream match is just a matter of pride in the end.

If it's a straight shoot, with no writing, it could be a great match; but either way you look at it, it's just a matter of matching legacy and legitimacy of each performer. WCW vs WWE is great and all, but they're now the same company, so there isn't anything to fight for. 

You don't want Sting to lose his only match with WWE, but you also don't wanna see Taker lose again, and definitely not at Wrestlemania. Sting has a few more big stage matches, then maybe it works out for the best -- but if I see them run any gauntlet, I want it to be either a Buried Alive, Casket, or Iron-Man Match. Needs to be a gimmick match.

Also, so with the contract status being an argumentative issue with Lesnar again, I'm yet again annoyed with the factor that they put him in to be the guy to end the streak. No one wanted to see it end -- yet it did, and Lesnar yet again appears to be the one showing no respect as a performer who cares for the business. 

*sigh*

Bring back the Brand extension, Bring back the SD! Fist, Bring back the Doctor of Thuganomics, Bring back the WWE title and World Heavyweight title. Splitting the titles again would open doors for several underrated stars. And that idea to merge the US and IC will just make WWE worse.

Yes i'm an old school fan watched modern WWE till last year. :)

Bring back the Brand extension, Bring back the SD! Fist, Bring back the Doctor of Thuganomics, Bring back the WWE title and World Heavyweight title. Splitting the titles again would open doors for several underrated stars. And that idea to merge the US and IC will just make WWE worse.

Yes i'm an old school fan watched modern WWE till last year. :)

Smackdown would need to be run by Heyman again, for anything to work on it. The WWE title spilt would do nothing but hurt the World Heavyweight title's prestige. For the last 4-5 years, that title has meant nothing. They put it on Smackdown, which nobody watches, and they treated it like the IC and US titles. If they can get Smackdown back to early 2000s, Heyman era, levels I wouldn't mind the title split. But for now, the merge is the best choice.

They should also get rid of Smackdown, or do something entirely different with it. It's just a Raw recap show now, and with 3 hours of Raw already, the last thing I want is another 2 hours on Friday. I would rather they lose Smackdown, and replace the timeslot with NXT.

Keep RAW, keep Smackdown; hell, keep Main Event on the network, as it has a few good matches and whatnot from time to time, even though it's pretty non-cannon as far as storyline is considered -- but PLEASE get rid of Superstars. It's an absolute waste of a show that comes out the same day as NXT, and only showcases two matches. It has a starting match, forty five minutes of RAW recap, the "main event" match, and then the last half hour is spent on the conclusion of RAW -- and it has commercial breaks. An overall complete waste, especially considering that there are more people in the arena than there are watching it online or on television (Hulu Plus, WWE Network, etc).

With Smackdown moving back into the Thursdays slot, and NXT moving to Wednesdays, hopefully there'll be some cleanup -- but no shows take the time to recap Smackdown. At all.

Thinking about it now, I'm not sure how it supposedly tops the ratings for it's timeslot, given that Smackdown results are available days before the actual television showing. Aside from myself (and honestly, I miss it most of the time and watch it on Hulu on Saturday mornings), who else is actually watching?

So yeah:

Monday Night RAW - Drop to either 2 hours or 2:30 hours.

Main Event - Keep to bolster WWE Network sales.

NXT - Leave alone.

Superstars - Remove.

Smackdown - Provide more attention, but try to make it a main focus to not only work the superstar whom already worked on RAW. Don't make separate rosters, but just provide more matches for superstars getting limited recognition because the previous RAW was overpopulated with John Cena, Seth Rollins promos/matches, or showcasing a third Usos showcased match for the week.

If they decided to broadcast house shows or dark matches on the network, I'd probably never leave my house again.

I understand that the concept is rather farfetched, but it's my opinion.

They should also get rid of Smackdown

I disagree. Smackdown is now where feuds/stories that are playing second fiddle to the main ones go to get more sophisticated and more interesting. Like the Wyatt/Ambrose feud, a feud that has been interesting for the most part, has mainly been developed on Smackdown. 

I for one enjoy the extra show every week. Keeps me entertained.