The WWE Discussion Thread

fresquinho

well that was easy 

NXT is everything that the WWE "main product" isn't.  It's a wrestling first brand with an extremely deep pool of talent that knows how to use them.  They operate in a small venue in front of a crowd that knows what's what, honestly, half of what makes NXT so great is how involved the crowd gets.  The divas matter, the tag division matters, the wrestling matters, the story lines are logical.  If a gun was against my head and I was told I could only choose two:  

-PPV's

-RAW

-Smackdown

-NXT

RAW and Smackdown would be gone in an instant.  It's that good.

• Like 1

I know this isn't wrestling related but the MMA thread is dead as dead and I can't contain my joy over Holm knocking out Rousey!!  On second thought, I guess there's been rumors of Rousey at WM so I'll use that as a flimsy excuse to mention how great it is that Holm knocked out Rousey.  Thank you Holm for knocking out Rousey.  Just saying Holm knocked out Rousey makes me smile so I'll do it one more time.  Holm knocked out Rousey  :D 

• Like 1

I know this isn't wrestling related but the MMA thread is dead as dead and I can't contain my joy over Holm knocking out Rousey!!  On second thought, I guess there's been rumors of Rousey at WM so I'll use that as a flimsy excuse to mention how great it is that Holm knocked out Rousey.  Thank you Holm for knocking out Rousey.  Just saying Holm knocked out Rousey makes me smile so I'll do it one more time.  Holm knocked out Rousey  :D

Holy shit. This is even more shocking than seeing The Undertaker's streak broken.

She tried to get in a striking match with a champion boxer. Rookie mistake. Honestly, I like Ronda, but this was needed. Her fights were getting super boring. Now the inevitable rematch will actually be interesting. Put it on the same card as Punk's debut, and UFC just broke their PPV buy record.

There was something about her that always struck me wrong. She is like that kid in school that thought they were king (or queen) shit of Shit Mountain and you wanted someone to knock them back to Earth. I remember reading an interview by her mom that just made her sound like an insufferable douche bag.

Oh well she will do the rematch and if she fails again she can go to WWE and they will pay her tons of money.

She tried to get in a striking match with a champion boxer. Rookie mistake. Honestly, I like Ronda, but this was needed. Her fights were getting super boring. Now the inevitable rematch will actually be interesting. Put it on the same card as Punk's debut, and UFC just broke their PPV buy record.

Punk won't like that :P He will have to be on the undercard again and if it is on the same PPV you know Steph will try to walk Ronda down to the ring just so she can be like "Hey Punk...I'm part of the main event and you are not ^_^"

I have a question, after watching the first 3 episodes of Breaking Ground, should I watch NXT? Considering I watch Raw and Smackdown and PPV's almost every time and only a the weekend because of school, is it worth cutting into my other tv shows and anime time or is it just going to be more of the same with a different roster?

Ever since HIAC, I have stopped watching RAW and Smackdown. I find NXT to be more entertaining, no storylines, just rivals and wrestling. To me it seems like they focus just on the wrestling.

Yes, NXT is a must watch.

Once again I'm seeing people piss and moan (not here of course) about Paige's use Reid to push the story between her and Charlotte.  And to those people I say this... F--K OFF!!

So tired of everyone clamoring for a return of the attitude era because it was so "great" only to turn around and whine like mules when anything edgy is ever done.  Honestly, I loved that they were ballsy enough to do that.  I won't speculate on Rick but it's pretty safe to assume that Charoltte gave it the okay.  Not to mention RAW closed with two, not six, two female wrestlers building a feud for an upcoming title match.  Two female wrestlers that are capable of recreating on RAW what's currently happening in NXT, an actual captivating storyline that should culminate in a great singles match between two women.  The only (slight) drawback is that neither one of them is named Sasha, but that's more than made up for by the fact that neither on e is named Bella either.  I loved it when Punk was using Paul Bearer and I'm loving the way this divas championship match is being built.  It's become "personal" between the two and there's never been a more effective way to get fans invested than that.

• Like 1

Once again I'm seeing people piss and moan (not here of course) about Paige's use Reid to push the story between her and Charlotte.  And to those people I say this... F--K OFF!!

So tired of everyone clamoring for a return of the attitude era because it was so "great" only to turn around and whine like mules when anything edgy is ever done.  Honestly, I loved that they were ballsy enough to do that.  I won't speculate on Rick but it's pretty safe to assume that Charoltte gave it the okay.  Not to mention RAW closed with two, not six, two female wrestlers building a feud for an upcoming title match.  Two female wrestlers that are capable of recreating on RAW what's currently happening in NXT, an actual captivating storyline that should culminate in a great singles match between two women.  The only (slight) drawback is that neither one of them is named Sasha, but that's more than made up for by the fact that neither on e is named Bella either.  I loved it when Punk was using Paul Bearer and I'm loving the way this divas championship match is being built.  It's become "personal" between the two and there's never been a more effective way to get fans invested than that.

Nail has been hit on the head :). When Punk (the heel) used Homophobic remarks GLAAD was all over the WWE and Punk (the bad guy) had to apologize. Jericho kicks the flag (a heel move) and is suspended.

How are the bad guys suppose to draw heat if they are handcuffed in everything they do. They have to resort to running away because that is the only Heel tactic they are allowed to do.

Here is a better idea. Punk makes a homophobic remark and then the Hero Cena (or who ever) comes down and shuts him up. That way the crowd gets to cheer the hero and boo the bad guy. So in this scenario, the Heel Paige makes a horrible remark and then we pay to see Charlotte kick her ass for making that remark.

How are the bad guys suppose to draw heat if they are handcuffed in everything they do. They have to resort to running away because that is the only Heel tactic they are allowed to do.

Frankly, there are lots of ways wrestlers can be great heels by simply using microphone time, their personas, and ring time.  Great examples of this involve The Undertaker (~1990), Bret Hart (~1997), Bray Wyatt (~2014), Randy Savage (~1989), Shawn Michaels (2005), Ric Flair (1980s), Ted Di Biase (1980s), and The Rock (2000s). That said though, it takes a tremendous amount of talent to do exceptional heel work, and the men above will be remembered as all time greats, largely for their ability to adapt to changing times and environments.

Frankly, there are lots of ways wrestlers can be great heels by simply using microphone time, their personas, and ring time.  Great examples of this involve The Undertaker (~1990), Bret Hart (~1997), Bray Wyatt (~2014), Randy Savage (~1989), Shawn Michaels (2005), Ric Flair (1980s), Ted Di Biase (1980s), and The Rock (2000s). That said though, it takes a tremendous amount of talent to do exceptional heel work, and the men above will be remembered as all time greats, largely for their ability to adapt to changing times and environments.

But there is no freedom on the mic anymore. Back in the day those guys got over because they were allowed to get over. Now the whole thing is scripted so you aren't allowed to do the things those guys did.

Now the problem with Bray is, yes he got over with his great promos but he is booked to lose every feud. So honestly who gives a shit that Bray calls someone out...he is going to lose :(

Look at Undertaker. Bray called him out for weeks leading up to Wrestlemania. Taker refused to ever face him (making Bray look like a little child that didn't deserve the Dead Man's attention) and then finally Mania came, Taker defeated Bray cleanly and proved that Bray wasn't worthy of him.

Jump to Hell in the Cell and Bray and 3 large men jump and carry Taker away...OK Bray isn't good enough to beat him on his own but at least he is looking strong again...oh wait Taker comes back with Kane and the 2 of them beat 4 large men (one of whom is bigger than both Taker and Kane). OK so we saw 2 babyfaces get their revenge on 4 heels but there is still time to get some life back into this feud. Oh look Bray turned the Undertaker's druids against him...oh wait Taker and Kane beat all the druids with no problems :( Well...hmm...there must be someway for the heels to get some heat on Taker...I mean we only saw him lose cleanly, lose with an advantage, lose with a bigger advantage...oh fuck he is completely useless :(

And that my friends is how not to book a heel :)

Edited by Dr_Mayus

That's a fair point. They way the WWE's writers has ruined potentially great heels this year (Bray Wyatt, Bad News Barrett, Kevin Owens, Rusev, Seth Rolllins, etc.) is actually mind-blowing. With the exception of the Attitude Era however, the WWE has always been a face-centric promotion (dating back to when it was the WWWF), so this is sadly par for the course. 

The card looks a bit too hard to predict with the semi-final and then final way of the tournament, also the elimination match with no confirmed wrestler just urgh.....

WWE WORLD TITLE SEMIFINAL

Reigns vs. Del Rio

1 point for choosing winner

1 additional point for choosing decision

Ambrose vs. Owens

WWE WORLD TITLE FINAL

??? vs. ???

Brothers of Destruction vs. Bray Wyatt & Braun Strowman

1 point for choosing winning team

1 point for choosing winning teammate

1 point for choosing losing teammate

WWE DIVAS TITLE

Charlotte vs. Paige

Ziggler vs. Breeze

TIEBREAKER 1: How long will the WWE World Title final match last?

TIEBREAKER 2: How long will the Ambrose vs. Owens match last?

I found this prediction template somewhere, maybe you could use this or modify it to your liking?

Reigns vs. Del Rio

Ambrose vs. Owens

WWE WORLD TITLE FINAL

??? vs. ???

1 point for choosing winning team

1 point for choosing winning teammate

1 point for choosing losing teammate

WWE DIVAS TITLE

Charlotte vs. Paige

Ziggler vs. Breeze

TIEBREAKER 1: How long will the WWE World Title final match last?

TIEBREAKER 2: How long will the Ambrose vs. Owens match last?

I found this prediction template somewhere, maybe you could use this or modify it to your liking?

I don't get what choosing decision is.......  :S

Reigns vs. Del Rio

1 point for choosing winner - Reigns

1 additional point for choosing decision - Clean Pin

Ambrose vs. Owens - 

1 point for choosing winner - Ambrose

1 additional point for choosing decision  - Pin (no idea bout clean or dirty)

WWE WORLD TITLE FINAL

??? vs. ???

1 point for choosing winner  - Ambrose (Lets pray for a heel turn)

1 additional point for choosing decision - Dirty Win

1 point for choosing winning team - Bray and Braun

1 point for choosing winning teammate - Braun

1 point for choosing losing teammate - Kane

1 additional point for choosing decision   Submission

WWE DIVAS TITLE

Charlotte vs. Paige

1 point for choosing winner - Paige

1 additional point for choosing decision - Submission

Ziggler vs. Breeze

1 point for choosing winner - Breeze

1 additional point for choosing decision - Pin

TIEBREAKER 1: How long will the WWE World Title final match last? - 25 mins (approx)

TIEBREAKER 2: How long will the Ambrose vs. Owens match last? - 15 (approx)

Also we don't have to count it but elimination match; Faces (cesaro, Ryback, neville, Lucha dragons/Prime time players/ dudleys/usos,) vs heels (King barret, seamus (if he isn't there expect a cash in), rusev, New day/Cosmic wasterland (makes me feel sick typing such a stupid gimmick)

Reigns vs. Del Rio
1 point for choosing winner - Reigns
1 additional point for choosing decision - Clean Pin

Ambrose vs. Owens - 
1 point for choosing winner - Ambrose
1 additional point for choosing decision  -Clean  Pin 

WWE WORLD TITLE FINAL
??? vs. ???
1 point for choosing winner  - Roman Reigns
1 additional point for choosing decision - Clean Win

1 point for choosing winning team - Brothers of Destruction
1 point for choosing winning teammate - Undertaker
1 point for choosing losing teammate - Bray Wyatt
1 additional point for choosing decision  - Pin

WWE DIVAS TITLE
Charlotte vs. Paige
1 point for choosing winner - Charlotte
1 additional point for choosing decision - Submission

Ziggler vs. Breeze
1 point for choosing winner - Breeze
1 additional point for choosing decision - Pin

TIEBREAKER 1: How long will the WWE World Title final match last? - 20 mins (approx)
TIEBREAKER 2: How long will the Ambrose vs. Owens match last? - 15 (approx)