PSNP's Year End Awards-2015

The Lime Popsicle Award - The Walking Dead

The Walking Dead is an amazing gaming experience. I had heard plenty of praise for the game and it didn't disappoint. Like the TV program (which I absolutely love) the depressing sense of despair and desperation for survival is present throughout the game. The characters are very well written to the point when

something finally happens to Larry

I didn't actually feel as good as I expected too. Usually I can't stand child characters as they tend to be annoying and exasperating but Clementine is one of the rare ones that you actually care about and her survival was always foremost in my mind as I played the game. There are numerous points in the game where you have to make tough choices and because you only have a limited time to choose an outcome it really puts you on the spot to decide what to do which is great. Overall a great game and a great experience and being a Telltale game it was an effortless platinum.

The Billy Mitchell Award - Goat Simulator

Odd choice I know as the platinum is so common but that Flappy Goat trophy was something awful. It took me 13 hours of trying over 3 days before I finally got the trophy. Needless to say, when it popped I was over the moon. Thankfully it's the only hard trophy in the game.

Bad Ass Award - Mass Effect 3

The Mass Effect trilogy is the best game series I've ever played. There's one reason more than anything that makes it so good for me. I've played plenty of games where you play a hero who saves the day, a city, a country or even a whole planet. But in Mass Effect 3 you are saving an entire galaxy from certain doom (again :P). And there is no other game I've played where I felt more like a hero than during the Mass Effect games. There were plenty of times when I got goosebumps from story arcs or character developments. It was great to see returning characters like Garrus and Liara as well as new characters like EDI and James Vega. Being able to put an end to the Quarian/Geth war and cure the Krogan genophage were 2 of the best highlights of the whole game and series. It's also good to play a game where the choices you make have an actual lasting impact on what happens. It was an amazing ending to Shepards story and all in all Shepard is one bad ass mofo when it comes to saving the galaxy. Ooops forgot to mention an actual bad ass moment. I'll go with the ending Synthesis. In my first playthrough I choose Destroy as quite frankly, it's what the Reapers deserve. However in my second 'true' playthrough I went with Synthesis. It wasn't the ending I wanted for Shepard but it's the best ending for the galaxy and that's what ultimately matters.

Grind Of The Year - Magicka 2

Ok so this game wasn't really a grindfest I just wanted to give it a plug. When I first read about this game as part of PS+ and heard it was a co-op game my initial reaction was no way. I don't really care for games that are designed to be played with other people so I wasn't going to get it. However eventually I started looking at a trophy guide and watched a bit of game play and read some good, fun things about it and I eventually decided to go out of my comfort zone and play it. Well I'm really glad I did as it turned out to be a really fun game. There were some tough sections in it but I managed to get through them. The only grindy trophies were for killing and reviving a friend 1000 times which only took a few boring hours and killing yourself 1000 times which took less than 1 boring hour. Running through the game twice to grind kills didn't take long at all either but as I said I just wanted to give this great game a plug :P.

Sleeper Hit Of The Year - Hotline Miami/Transistor

I honestly can't decide which game I would choose for this category so I'm nominating both Hotline Miami and Transistor.

For a long time I had sometimes seen a bizzare looking trophy card background with everyone wearing masks and a guy carrying an unconscious woman. It was a while before I realised how to find out what the game was by going to that persons profile :P. That game was Hotline Miami. I'd heard a few good things about it and as it happened it was on sale at the time but by the time I got money on my account it was no longer on sale. A few months later it was free on PS+ so I downloaded it. From the first moment I played it, it was an absolutely rip-roaring experience. The story was weird and took a backseat to the rest of the game. I'm not a fan of 8-bit graphics but the game being set in the 80s allowed me to overlook it. The combat is the second best thing about the game. There's heaps of melee weapons and guns to use and the top down view made for some amusing dead bodies. However the best thing about the game is the soundtrack. It has the best music of any game I've played and went with the gameplay perfectly. Also the fact the game reloads in split seconds upon death means all the times you die doesn't get tedious.

Transistor is another game I got for free on PS+. I really didn't know much about it and while looking at my backlog for a 75th platinum milestone game (at least untill I hit 100 plats) I decided on Transistor. Even though I platinumed the game in 25 hours I loved every minute of it. The game didn't start to get really good until I leveled up a few times and unlocked more functions. The combat was a lot of fun, trying new combinations and finding combos that kick ass. The voice acting was fantastic and the soundtrack had some beautiful songs. The tests were a fun challenge and recursing through the game was just as fun as the first time.

Biggest Bomb Of The Year - Far Cry 4

Don't get me wrong, FC4 was a good game and I enjoyed playing it however it was basically a straight up copy and paste of Far Cry 3. The outposts were exactly the same. The enemies exactly the same. The weapons exactly the same. Most of the animals were the same. Personally I enjoyed FC3 more as ai preferred the tropical island setting over the Himalayas.

Wurst Plat Ov Teh Yeer - Deadly Premonition: The Directors Cut

Words to describe Deadly Premonition....craptacular...craptastic...crapnificent all come to mind. Suffice to say I did not like Deadly Premonition at all. It's one of the ugliest looking games I've played. The sound effects are laughably bad. The cars handle like a ton of bricks even with upgrades. The main character is weird and not in a good way. Trying to find a rainy day for some side missions was frustrating. And the music/soundtrack was highly irritating. In the end I skipped every cut-scene I could simply to platinum this game as fast as possible. I really liked the Twin Peaks TV program but this was a very poor imitator. The only good thing about this game is it was free on PS+ and it was an easy plat which I earned in 6 days.

The Best Platinum Of 2015

Another tough category so I'll list my top 5.

5 - Dark Souls 2: Scholar Of The First Sin. The Souls series is my favourite game series so I had to get the PS4 version. Remembering my way around the whole game made things a lot easier but also a lot more fun. Unfortunately there weren't a lot of people playing it when it came out so I did very little co-op which is one thing I loved about playing it in PS3. It only took me 90 hours to plat as opposed to the 180 hours I spent on the PS3 version but I still had as much of a blast as I did the first time playing it.

4 - Dragon Age: Origins. With Dragon Age: Inquisition coming out I decided to play all 3 games in a row. Origins isn't a good looking game at all and I didn't like the combat but what it lacks in those areas it more than makes up for with the best story in the trilogy. As with Mass Effect, the Dragon Age games do a great job of making you feel like a hero and the decisions you make can change what happens in the 2nd and 3rd games so definitely make you think about what the best choice is.

3 - Bloodborne. Having played hundreds of hours of Souls games I was looking forward to playing Bloodborne. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy it as much as I expected to as the combat wasn't my sort of play-style. Or at least that was my initial thought. It was a great looking game with fantastic areas, some of the best melee weapons I've used in any game and the health system worked brilliantly with the combat. I got frustrated at times with not having a shield like in the Souls games but I was able to adapt. I didn't like the main part of the game as much as I liked the chalice dungeons even though they were exactly the same sort of game play. Thinking about the game after having finished it and coming back to complete the DLC however have made me realise I actually enjoyed this game a lot more than I initially thought.

2 - Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition. Sleeping Dogs was a refreshing look at open world games. Being set in Hong Kong meant combat was far more focused on hand-to-hand fighting or using weapons like knives and pipes than with guns like so many American set games. It took a bit of getting used to punching, kicking and countering but once I had it down it was a lot of fun. It was a decent sized world to explore with lots of vehicles to use and unlike a lot of other open world games I found myself using motorbikes more than cars. Wei made for a good anti-hero to play as and there were a lot of fun missions to play.

1 - Middle Earth: Shadow Of Mordor GOTY Edition (PS4). I had heard many many good things about Shadow Of Mordor but once I actually started playing it, it completely blew me away. I have read the Rings book and seen the Rings movies but this game was so much better than all of them combined. The combat was incredibly fun (except at the start when I didn't play it smart and constantly got myself surrounded and severely outnumbered) and once I learned to not just wade into battle, it's possibly the most fun I've had in any combat game I've played. I enjoyed the story and Talion/Celebrimbor were a lot of fun to play as. I really enjoyed the Lord Of The Hunt DLC and the Test Of The Wild was a demanding but exciting challenge however I didn't care for The Bright Lord DLC but did enjoy the Test Of The Ring challenge. If you haven't played this game yet you owe it to yourself to play it.

Edited by FilmFanatic
  • Like 4

The Lime Popsicle Award

That would be Megamind, Probably one of the easiest plats to exist. Extremely short, yet reasonably enjoyable.

The Billy Mitchell Award

Haven't gone through any difficult games this year. So I'll have to say Saints Row: The Third was the most challenging one out of the ones I got the plat for this year. Not necessarily for It's difficulty, but for the patience some of the challenges took to complete. It seemed to drag on forever.

Bad Ass Award

That would be one-shotting the final boss in Last Rebellion. Which to be fair, is somewhat unavoidable by just playing through the game. It resulted in one of those wtf moments.

Grind of the Year

Naruto Storm R's tournaments and challenges. They turned out to be so unbelievable dull, to the extent that I barely managed to complete more than one tournament per day. I even took a 1 week break from the game, because it was so damn tedious.

Sleeper Hit of the Year

The Order 1886 is my pick for this one. After so many people said how bad and disappointing this game was, I didn't have high expectations for it. Well, for me it was one of the best games I played on ps4 so far. I simply enjoyed every second of it.

Biggest Bomb of the Year

The ps3 version of Game of Thrones (Telltale), I expected more, a lot more to be honest. The dialogues felt awkward, the writing seemed poor after the 1st half of the episodes, the dialogue choices rarely had the implied result. Oh and would would expect by now that Telltale would sort the technical problems of their games on the ps3. asn't the case though...

The Best Platinums of the Year

The Book of Unwritten Tales 2, everything in this game was amazing. The writing, story, characters, puzzles, dialogues, settings all fit perfectly. I'll be needing more Unwritten Tales in my life.

PS: Everyone else should go buy a copy. And I mean now!

Wurst Plat ov teh Yeer

Lego Ninjago: Nindroids. Hated every minute of it, worst Lego game ever. Terminator Salvation was more enjoyable than this pile of crap.

Edited by voodoo_eyes
  • Like 1

The Lime Popsicle Award

1L0be58c.png

The Walking Dead

:platinum: The Walking Dead :platinum:

I got this one sale, and was intrigued due to the positive reception it has received and the constant recommendations I had received to play it. Very enjoyable, I'm glad I listened to all the people singing praises to it. Maybe not as great as they made it out to be, but great nonetheless.

The Billy Mitchell Award

1Ld55f52.png

Rogue Legacy

:platinum: Ergophobia :platinum:

I had trouble choosing this one. I didn't really earn any platinums this year that were overly difficult - I gave up on most of the difficult games I've played :P I felt this was the hardest because of the annoying 15 death trophy.

Bad Ass Award

L311f0d.png

After failing time and time and time and time again on basically every boss, it always felt amazing when I finally defeat them on my 15 death run. That, and defeating Ponce de Freon for the second time because the first time the trophy didn't unlock was a great feeling too.

Grind of the Year Award

Ldc4936.png

This award I had trouble choosing, and this may seem like an odd choice to many. But getting 100% synchronization (every collectible, etc., not just the mission objectives) was boring as fuck. I would've chosen Kingdom Hearts, but I was surprised to discover that was 2014. Where has the time gone?

Sleeper Hit of the Year Award

L44c87e.png

Words cannot express how much I truly loved every second of this game (and the previous game!). It caused me to play every game FuturLab have made, and I now have 100% in all of them. I eagerly await whatever it is they're currently developing, because in my opinion, every game so far has been great. Velocity 2X is one of the most enjoyable platinums I have ever gone for and it saddens me how many gave up - it is not worthy of a 1% rarity, as it's pretty easy.

Biggest Bomb of the Year Award

Lef6c16.png

Oh boy where do I even start with this one. There are 3 games I've platinumed/100%ed this year that I truly hated every single fucking second they lasted. This piece of garbage, Prototype 2, and PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate. But I decided the award will have to go to this, due to the absolutely abysmal AI, the boring plot, the terrible mechanics, the glitches, the controls... Everything was just so effing bad that I can't find a single redeeming quality about this. And the DLC was even worse! Within the first minute of the DLC, I was stuck inside a fucking wall and had to restart, and the canoe controls were downright cringe-worthy. Please, PLEASE, no more DLC for this!

The Best Platinum of 2015

1Lc25c88.png

Velocity 2X

:platinum: Yippee Kai Yay :platinum:

To go into a little more detail about this than I provided above, I feel this game was the definition of perfection. The level design was top notch, the gameplay ran without an issue, there was no form of lag or input lag, there were no glitches, there were no bullshit traps. Every mistake you made was your fault and your fault alone - the game mechanics were never to blame. The soundtrack did what it needed to but was rather generic, and the story got to the point where I just started skipping it, but the gameplay more than makes up for these two minor faults. <3

Wurst Plat Ov Tuh Yeer

1L7ddf96.png

PROTOTYPE 2

:platinum: Platinum Trophy :platinum:

With the Never Alone piece of garbage out the way, the only 2 truly despicable games I had left were this and PixelJunk. I decided to go with this because, while PixelJunk was ok for one or two levels here and there, this... just wasn't. Ever. Every mission felt the same and every mission was boring. You go to a place, fuck shit up and kill everyone, absorb some guys DNA or whatever, and then leave. And the fact it required more than 1 playthrough was an even larger blow to the enjoyment (not that there was any to begin with). The story was terrible, the gameplay was terrible, the music... I don't even remember any of the music... The graphics were OK I guess? That would be the only thing I can think of that is even remotely positive.

• Like 3

As usual I shall post my line up near the end of the year :dance:.

Finally don't forget to check out the previous winners and losers in these threads here

You kinda forgot to link last year's thread: http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/21994-dr-mayus-year-end-awards-2014/page-1 :ninja:

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 1

The Lime Popsicle Award

1L9b10ff.png

Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

One of the easiest RPGs I've ever played; I also got lucky and got all of the rare drops I needed within minutes, so there was no grind for those collection trophies. 

The Billy Mitchell Award

1L780ac1.png

Omega Quintet

If I put forth the effort to finish PayDay 2, I'd put that here instead, but since I didn't, I'll have to go with the game that slaps you with a Game Over every few seconds. This game knocks you down whenever it can, and then it starts kicking the crap out of you when you try to get up. The game utilizes a mechanic called "Order Break" that allows the enemies to jump in line and act immediately. This wouldn't be a problem normally, but the enemy will always use their strongest AoE attack multiple times that will end in a Game Over or a soft reset. Any enemy can do it too if the requirements are met; not enough enemies spawned? Game over. Killed enough enemies? Game over. Tickled an enemy because you used Nene? Game over. Looked at the boss funny? Game over. 

Bad Ass Award

4L607a6f.png

Pay Day 2 - Guessing Game

Not a platinum, but still deserving for this award. I spent almost 3 days nonstop working on this trophy (about 50 hours total within those days). The idea is simple: without hacking into the database, sneak into an FBI building and disarm two randomized alarms, get the thing and get out without getting caught. To make matters worse, you can't disable cameras or subdue people walking around because someone will notice and set off the alarm. By the way, the door and alarm locations are randomized, and you get to choose from 4-5 alarms to find the correct two. When I finally completed it, everything went so smoothly. Kind of like those cheesy spy movies people like watching so much.

Grind of the Year

1L407f20.png

Sengoku Basara 3

Everything in this game is working towards completing a dauntless grind with no reward. While it's no Mugen Souls, I'd say this game tries its best to compete with its 200+ hour grind that has no end in sight. You'll complete at least 64+ story playthroughs (honestly, it's 65 since you have to get to complete the penultimate stage on a 5th playthrough with Ieyasu) just to collect allies and materials. The only difference in the playthroughs will be the character you play as, and some of those characters flat out suck, so you're grinding attacks against an enemy. Once you complete the fun journey of ~180 hours of story line repetition, you're going to enjoy the next 40 hours of grinding one map with every character to get them to max level. 

Sleeper Hit of the Year

1Lee3554.png

Witch and the Hundred Knight

This game got low reviews all around for being a piece of crap. Hell, even the GameStop employee begged me to not waste my money on it when I bought it, but being the obsessed fan-boy of NIS, I ignored them all, and I'm glad I did. The gameplay is pretty fun; you run around killing enemies with various weapons; the combat even rewards skilled dodging by giving you ~5 seconds of invulnerability (everything besides you is slowed), so if you get the hang of that, you'll be invincible. The story starts off excruciatingly slow, but once it picks up, it really picks up. I'm definitely looking forward to picking up the Revival version for PS4 now.

Biggest Bomb of the Year

1La175a9.png

Sacred 2

For some reason, this game has a strange cult following that claims it's the best game ever created. I went into the game thinking, okay it won't be too bad since a lot of people love this game this much, but I was horribly mistaken; it was one of the worst games I've ever played. The combat is boring, the story is nonexistant, and there is little variation in the classes with the exception: Seraphim > everyone else, and even then, you'll really weak. Don't try to say this isn't a great game though, as I've been booed out of several places for simply saying it wasn't good. I shudder to think of how bad Sacred 3 is when the fanatics think it's the worst game ever.

The Best Platinum of 2015

1L912811.png

Final Fantasy X-2

I was going to put Disgaea 5 here, but looking back at my year, I just can't when FFX-2 exists (and Marona doesn't in D5). Story aside, this is the absolute best RPG I've played so far. There are so many viable options for party choices and so many niches that you can work with until you get the Mascot, but even then, there's still room for variety because of the balance. There's also enemies that test your patience (F80 Chac for instance), and the sound track is phenomenal. It's kind of scary how much this game eclipses FFX despite being blatant fan service. 

Wurst Plat ov Tuh Yeer

1La175a9.png

Sacred 2

Time for round 2 boys. This piece of crap is the absolute worst thing I've had the pleasure of playing. Let's start off with the fact that you have to play through this monotonous garbage for 4-5 playthroughs, depending on if you're a high enough level to boost to the higher difficulties. You're given a selection of 6 different classes to play as, but if you did any research at all, you're told they're all shit and to best your luck with "a broken BFG Seraphim build". Let me stop you there and let you know that the BFG build isn't some saving grace that lets you strut through the game. No, in fact the build is still so unbelievably bad that you're going to get your ass handed to you multiple times. To call this broken is proof that the other 5 characters are laughably pathetic.

Next, let's look at the gameplay. You're going to be shooting at hordes of enemies using a single button for the next 90+ hours. Also, there's no pause button since we're apparently playing an MMO now, so that full inventory that you want to go through and equip new things will have to wait until you're in town. Odds are, there's going to be a lot of monsters chasing you on the way since you can't go two steps without having 5+ enemies whaling at you. Finally made it to town? Well, the enemies don't care; they're still attacking you and the guards are loluseless, so you're going to have to keep waiting for that inventory check until you get far enough into town and hope there aren't spawns for some reason. By the way, the map is huge with several 'countries' and this will be your life if you keep playing. Every dungeon looks pretty much the same, and all of the areas are bland. So good luck with revealing over 50% of the map.

To top it off, you have to wear a complete set of matching, named armor. These pieces of armor are so rare that during my 2 day grind (~30+ hours) to get a high enough level to boost to Niob, I only got about 30 drops. Hope they're all for the character you're using, and they're all to the same set because you know you'll be missing that one piece. There's more I could probably say, but I repressed those memories long ago and I don't want to be known as the angry Sacred 2 guy.

• Like 3

The Lime Popsicle Award

1L2ee2ae.png

I played a couple TTs games this year but i chose Tales from the Borderlands because i had a great time with it which made it easier to obtain the platinum. The platinum, as you probably already know, is really easy as it only requires you to play through the game. 

Billy Mitchell Award

1L00af84.png

Although it's wasn't as hard as its predecessor WipEout HD, WipEout 2048 still proved to be a challenge. Aside from the clunky vita racing controls, there were a couple trophies i had quite a bit of trouble with. Combine that with a long, difficult MP grind and it's the perfect mix for the "Hardest platinum of the year" - award.

Bad ass of the year

1L085582.png

To this day, i still need to actually pop the platinum, a friend of mine still mocks me for not being able to get the Call of Duty: World at War platinum. This year however i showed my friend i'm a true badass that isn't afraid of a million grenades.  

Grind of the year

1Le05dec.png

This game was pretty mediocre. The first time i played through J-Stars Victory Vs+ i had a lot of fun. But then the tedious grind started. With gameplay mechanics that are pretty repetitive, the "Complete the campaign 4 times" and "Complete Victory Road" trophies were probably the dullest grinds i've done this year. 

Sleeper hit of the year

1Ld98210.png

I didn't expect much from Until Dawn when i picked up my copy on release day. Why did i spend 65€ on release day, you might ask? Well, i'm kind of ashamed to admit it but i still have a slight crush on hayden panettiere ever since she broke her neck on Heroes. My weird fetish aside, the game turned out to be awesome! It had everything i love from horror movies, Cheesy dialogue, over the top death scenes, creepy atmosphere, totally-expected-but-you-still-shat-your-pants jump scares,..  I loved every second of it! 

Bomb of the year

1L8b7a48.png

Don't get me wrong, i really enjoyed playing through The Order 1886 but it didn't blew my mind as i think it would've. This game could've been great. Too bad it turned out to be a 6 hour long teaser for the real game. At least i didn't ride the hype train and decided to borrow this game instead of spending cash on it.

Best plat of the year

1Lfd2b3f.png

Did you really expect i would pick anything else than one of my beloved Nep platinums?  :wub:  In Hyperdimension Re;Birth 1 i could finally experience the original story in glorious 'remake' gameplay. Apart from Mk2 it's probably my favourite in the franchise. The only thing it lacked was the character Nisa :/ This game also didn't have any Stella related trophies which didn't make the plat run annoying.

Worst plat of the year

1Ld02f11.png

All in all XBLAZE: Code Embryo was a decent game. But the some of the trophies were so annoying it made me hate the game. Never again.

Edited by Zone Hunter
  • Like 3

Bad Ass Award

Hmm I had a hard time on this one since there have been many moments where I feel like a badass B) . I think of out all the games I’ve played this year it’s probably Max Payne 3 which made me look most badass. I can still remember the moment. I was playing NYMHC and was at chapter 13 in the police office waiting for he elevator to come down. Before this section I picked up a grenade launcher in the parking lot. When the enemies came out of the elevator I instantly shootdodged through the window and used my grenade launcher to kill all enemies at once. Jumping through a window in slow motion and then get a multi kill with a grenade launcher while theres a smokescreen definitely makes you feel like a badass.  B)

Haha, I tried doing the exact same thing but failed miserably. My grenade hit a column and bounced right back into my face. Obvioulsy I died and felt like anything but a bad ass.  :facepalm:

• Like 1

The Lime Popsicle Award

1L749a29.png

The Wolf Among Us

Simply put: I was interested in the Telltale game series' for a while and saw Season 1 of TWAU and TWD on sale, and obviously bought them both but tried the game with the sexy Big Bad Wolf first. The plat is not as easy as TWD as that one just requires the completion of the game to pop the plat while this one has a sort-of collectible trophy for each episode, but nonetheless, it's easy yet fun.

The Billy Mitchell Award

1L5afca3.png

Final Fantasy XIII

I gave up on this game from the first time i bought it because i simply didn't want to grind my ass and do not-so-crazy-yet-difficult tasks just to beat a goddamn boss and make silly weapons i'll probably never use again. But i was determined to do it one day and so i did. This plat deserved this award for the simple factor of: Active Time Battle (ATB) since you are sort-of required to do momentum actions or something. Yes, even if those actions were pressing the X button over and over, if your controlled character dies, that's it. Game Over, even if the remaining party isn't dead.

Bad Ass Award

Note: Since this award goes to a *moment* in a game and not a plat that happened this year, mind if say Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F 2nd? (Plat pop'd 23rd December 2014 but the moment happened a hundred times in 2015). If i'm allowed; I'd say the moment i felt so Bad Ass in it was when i perfect'd a song that the majority failed to do that in on Extreme, or simply because i perfect'd 36 of the 40 songs on Extreme.  B)

If that is not allowed, carry on:

1Lc8f788.png

Resonance of Fate/End of Eternity

Resonance of Fate was honestly one of my first purchases on the PSN Store (I know, i'm a bit late). When i first saw it, i was like "Oh, is this valkyria chronicles" and i general don't find the Valkyria Chronicle series to be....appealing so i was mehhh, guess this is another $19 wasted. But then i played the first chapter of this game and my god this game does not tolerate any considerable error. It was hard, really hard. So everytime i full-bullet-chain giant hard enemies or build a 500+ Hits in a single magazine/turn i become...The Yaoimentor  B)

Grind of the Year Award

1L387154.png

Disgaea 4

The grindest (that is a term, right?) game i've platted since Trinity Universe last year.

One reason i nominate this game for this award and i'm sure it's more than enough: Spend tens or hundreds of hours grinding Luck chances. Be it for randomly placed items inside enemies that you need to steal, or finding the cursed Meowkins pirates. if that reason isn't enough, dealing 10,000,000,000 damage wasn't easy either, you needed to grind some materials or equipment.

Sleeper Hit of the Year

1Ldb367f.png

Remember Me

Saw this game for $6 or something and said "Meh, why not". But then it hit me, this game is gooooood, even if there was some awful spots here and there.

The plat was enjoyable enough as well. And let's be honest, it has a character with a Lara Croft-like voice so.

And yes, i did recommend this to a few fellow players and close friends on here, but i wouldn't say i *always* recommend it.

Biggest Bomb of the Year

1Lb27bd0.png

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments.

Meh, i'm not a big fan of this game anyway, and i don't seem to have played any game released this year or a past year that a lot of people praised and didn't like so this award goes to this game, i guess. but if i had to give a solid reason: I didn't like to do some parts over...and over...and oooooooover, or that arm wrestling minigame, ughhhh.

Best Platinum of 2015

1Ldbda23.png

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

Ahahahaha!! This game is magnificent, i love it with all of my heart. Most of the trophies are straight forward and easy, but *some* (like School Mode) were somewhat anger-inducing, yet none of the trophies lost their "fun" touch, no matter how silly or ridiculously random-chance based they were. It was a total treat to go for each and every trophy.

WURST PLAT OV TEH YEER AOURDE

1L33acbe.png

Ether One

Glitchy, messy hell of a game. This game truly made me want to stab a knife in my head and donate that head to some wolves while i'm at it. I couldn't make sense of the game or the story so i was like...are you going to end, like, ANYTIME NOW? Got it from Plus so not much of a money wasted.

Edited by YaoiGod
  • Like 2

Haha, I tried doing the exact same thing but failed miserably. My grenade hit a column and bounced right back into my face. Obvioulsy I died and felt like anything but a bad ass.  :facepalm:

Ouch that sucks man. When I was playing through NYM I tried this out and it worked great. So I tried it a few more times until I could do it perfectly every time. Experimenting on NYMHC is a bad idea. :P

• Like 1

THE LIME POPSICLE AWARD

Persona 4: Dancing All Night

1L39f9d4.png

Most of the games that I usually play are long RPGs or fighters that require some kinds of grind, skills, and hours of play, but P4DAN was different being a rhythm game, it was just a short and really enjoyable rhythm game. It was super easy, getting it done in only just over a day.

THE BILLY MITCHELL AWARD

Catherine

1L9d5f74.png

Catherine completely deserves this award, because god damn, the Babel levels were pure hell! Though they were made much easier by having a friend help, that doesn't change the fact that I had a lot of trouble conquering the game. The hard playthrough was pretty alright up until stage 9-5, where I failed so much that I just gave up for a little bit. I'm glad I returned to it and got it eventually, as the game's fantastic.

BAD ASS AWARD

Conquering Axis Mundi in Catherine

This also ties into my Billy Mitchel award. I honestly don't remember feeling super bad ass while doing some things in most games, but in Catherine, I did. I was just playing the game one night, it was probably about 2AM, and I was doing practice runs on Axis Mundi in Babel solo, using both controllers myself. I failed about 3-4 times, but on my 5th run, I actually started to make a whole bunch of progress, managing to get past my previous record, and eventually, I got to the mindset of "I can actual do this and get the platinum!" So I put my mind to work. Climbing up the tower got me scared a lot because sometimes I'd forget about the second person and have to quickly change the route, and on multiple occasions I had to move blocks where I would've fallen if I wasn't fast enough, but once I heard that bell, I knew it was home free! I actually freaked myself out a little because I let go of a block on accident and thought I'd died... Thank god there was a block underneath and I managed to get back. So conquering Axis Mundi made me feel like a bad ass.

GRIND OF THE YEAR

Tales of Vesperia

1L981430.png

If only I had the SO4 plat, I could just put that and be like "Enough said." But that is not the case. I can't exactly say Tales of Vesperia was a grind, but in terms of in-game time, it took me nearly 200 hours for the Platinum, but I was never actually just grinding away and doing mundane tasks, everything about the game kept me occupied by doing something different and I had fun.

SLEEPER HIT OF THE YEAR

Tales of Hearts R

1Le7ed9e.png

So, yeah, when this first came out and I heard about it, I honestly didn't think it was gonna do so well. It was Japanese audio with English text and a Vita game, not exactly a big market now, is there? Even with the name Tales on it made made cautious, and I love the series, so I paid no real attention to this game until I started up the Tales of Project Platinum and tried to get all the Plats for the Tales games myself, and this was the last one I needed... Why the hell do I second guess myself with games? This game was absolutely amazing, quickly becoming one of my favorite Tales games.

BIGGEST BOMB OF THE YEAR

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

1Lb0b104.png

I got the Tales of Symphonia Chronicles CE last year because I wanted to play Symphonia again, but also to play the sequel I never got a chance to. After finishing Symphonia around August of last year, I put the game away for a time because I dreaded having to play DotNW because of all the stuff I heard about it, which I don't usually listen to, but from the parts I have seen, it seemed to be true. I picked it up around January because there was nothing for me to play at the time. I went in thinking "There's no way it could really be as bad as what I've seen/heard, can it?"... Yeah, it's a pretty mediocre game, taking the title of my least favorite Tales of game.

THE BEST PLATINUM OF 2015

Super Dangan Ronpa 2

1Lafc179.png

This really should require absolutely no explanation.

WURST PLAT OV TEH YEER

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2

1Lff36bf.png

I got the game from someone when I first got my PS3, played it for a bit, stopped, and then came back to it over a year later... It may have gone over my favorite arc in the story, but good lord, was this game boring. Maybe it's because I already knew everything that happened and just didn't enjoy the retelling of it? I don't know, I just did not like getting the platinum, the trials sucked, the friendships events were a bore, and so were the correspondence events. Man, and the online was just shit, 50 battles took way to long to do. I may have platinumed the game, but only so I never have to go back to it again.

• Like 3

I'll be posting my list later this year (when the annual leave starts), but I'm going to have to think hard about the Wurst Plat Ov Teh Yeer award since I haven't disliked any of mine (though some are definitely worse games than others so guess I'll have to pick from those).

The Lime Popsicle Award

This is an easy pick: The Walking Dead. This games was amazing to play but at the same time really easy to plat. All I had to do was literally just complete the game and *ding* a new platinum!

The Billy Mitchell Award

I mean.. I don't really play any hardcore games but Mirrors Edge was a real challenge. I was a newbie as a trophy hunter and I decided to do it without any guides and I succeed!

Bad Ass Award

Ah.. This is a fresh new bad ass experience and it comes from Black Ops 3. I was playing a random Moship Caos match on Nuketown and somehow I turned into god-mode and I started killing enemies like crazy. 4 minutes later I got my third ever Nuclear medal on COD (1st on BO 3)

Grind of the Year

Hustle King.. I love pool so it wasn't a problem going for it but racking up 10mln (6legit and 4with boost) wasn't exactly easy. It took me 4months with over 2hours a day of grinding. Then I started boosting with Zajac9999 and in less than a week I got the trophy!

Sleeper Hit of the Year

Frozen Synapse Prime. I got this over a year ago with PS plus but never played it because it was looking bad. A few weeks ago I was searching for a UR plat and I remembered of this game.. I ended up loving it. Recommend it to everyone!

Biggest Bomb of the Year

Assassin's Creed Unity. I had to play this because of a PSNP event and I was like: I'm lucky I got a AAA title. Yeah.. It was Awful Awful Awful! Glitches, boring collectables, bad storyline, random game breaking bugs in multiplayer (ask to madbuk). Totally regret playing this but at least I didn't pay full price!

The Best Platinums of the Year

This is an hard one.. Far Cry 4 or DRIVECLUB? FC4 is the perfect open world experience and I loved it as much as I loved the 3rd FC. But I think this Award is going to go to DRIVECLUB. I heard so much shit about this game but one day it finally got a free version. I tried it, loved it and decided to buy the full game+ season pass for a total 40€.
Over 400events to play and alot of cars to drive! Although I'm not Satoshi Ookami I enjoyed alot driving in Japan based races, such a beautiful environment!
As probably some already knows I wish this game had 999 more DLCs with trophies to hunt! IMO it's the best racing game on PS4.

Wurst Plat ov teh Yeer

I was going to give this to Magus but I think Goat Simulator deserves the spot more! A glitch mess with no-sense physics and bad designed levels. Definitely regret doing this game twice on my account lol Edited by Winston
  • Like 1

THE LIME POPSICLE AWARD
Wolf Among Us (PS4)
1Lca3c1e.png
Well, its pretty obvious this is the easiest plat this year since.. Well you basically only have to beat the story and then use chapter select. There are other titles I've taken this year that's easy but no title beats Wolf Among Us.

THE BILLY MITCHELL AWARD
Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix

1Lcc2305.png
This isn't a title that I think a lot of people find hard, but boy did I struggle. So let me tell ya, I started Kingdom Hearts this year and well, its basically been the only series I've played this year up until now (Still haven't gotten all of them yet..)
I loved Kingdom Hearts, but boy did I struggle at times. The blasted Critical mode especially, I remember going up against Demyx feeling something like 'Ah, he wasn't so hard on easy'. Well I died over and over again until I finally defeated him. Upon defeating him I died in the next area to a bunch of heartless. 
And lets just leave it with saying Kingdom Hearts checkpoint system isn't the best...
The worst part about critical was that I chose the wrong weapon in the beginning of the game. So I didn't get any life related upgrades for the entire game. So I basically got one hit killed the entire freaking game wich sucked big time....

I hated taking this plat after a while because I was so tired after playing Kingdom Hearts from January up until September when I finally got the plat.. 
However I still have to plat 2 games wich Im almost done with and next year its 2.8 time ;)

Bad Ass Award
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep Final Mix
Lafff95.png
I finished Ventus playthrough and 100% him the first thing I did when I completed the story for BBS. It felt great but there was this boss, The Unknown. 
Let me tell you, this boss wasn't a walk in the palk, the regular deal so to say. This boss was the real shit. 
You couldn't glitch him, you couldn't do nothing, just pure skill and survival.
If you didn't know, there are three characters in BBS, Ventus, Terra and Aqua. I finished Ventus wich basically plays like Sora or Roxas.
However my favourite character was Terra even though he didn't have a proper dodge. (Or atleast a usefull one...)
People complained like crazy, 'its so hard to do it with Terra' and I was getting afraid, really fucking afraid. 

I go do everything for Terra and then its just the final challenge left...
The Unknown.
Im like 'Fuck me, this is going to take HOURS' because I played with Ventus against this guy for around 3 hours until I finished him and Ventus is supposed to be easiest or atleast a lot easier then Terra.
Then I played against him, almost won. Im thinking to myself 'What that was his last fucking life bar in my first try'
Three tries later, I finished him and I barely got hit and that felt so fucking badass and smooth you can't even belive it lol.

Grind of the Year
Kingdom Hearts II

L4e9aa2.png
I really wanted to say the entire Kingdom Hearts series since every game has a grind and Im not done with all of them yet...
But since you have to choose one title and I haven't got 2 of the plats I choose Kingdom Hearts II (Even though Chain of Memories is the real answer..)
Kingdom Hearts II felt so long. I played the story for a loooong time, because it has lots of cutscenes and lots of gameplay.
When I was done with the story it was time to finish everything, Gummi, Synt and all. And it was grindy however easier then KH1 (Not side bosses...)

When I finally was done and had 100% my save I realised that I have to do Critical. And what a pain, it took ages. Not only that, I made it even harder by choosing the wrong fucking weapon. I didn't get any life related upgrades so I got one hit killed for the entire game... It was such a freaking pain....
I  think my total time according to KH2 was around 150 hours maybe (Yes seriously), but since it resets the time you've played when you die, its probably like 170 lol.

Sleeper Hit of the Year
Deadpool
L8e7455.png

So going into the game Deadpool, I knew I would like it but not to the extend that I did.
My girlfriend bought me this game a while back, but since I was to busy with KH I never got around to playing it. When I finished KH2 I decided to take a break and play other games for a change.
One of the first titles I got around to doing was Deadpool (A little bit because the movie trailer was.. Perfect)
I knew it wasn't really a critic darling, it wasn't received super and the studio even got massive layoffs after the game. So I was a little skeptic. 
But boy was I fucking wrong. 
I belive one of the reasons I love it so much is because it was just the game I needed, silly goofy hilarious humour, a short but easy game, overall really fun and not grindy nor serious. I think that's one of the reasons this game is one of my favourites this year.
I loved North (Ofcourse, he IS Deadpool..) I loved the humour, the tone, the X-Men, EVERYTHING basically. The brutal stealth kills.
Damn what a goddamn awesome game. Getting the Remaster at some point or another depending on how my gaming situation looks like (Huge backlog, know what Im saying!;))

Biggest Bomb of the Year
Sound Shapes
L994f74.png

Wow, what a mediocre fucking game Sound Shapes was.. I went in with super high expectations and this game blew me away. Because it wasn't even a 6/10 lol.
I wanted something on my Vita, something challenging but something I could relax at. 
This game seemed right for it, soothing music and challenge according to the community.
Sound Shapes did not bring any challenge what so ever. Like seriously.. Its like Guacamelee everyone is complaining that these two games has sooo hard modes in it (i.e Tule Tree and Death Mode)
But no..

Well not only that, the game wasn't really.. Good? The Beat school was boring, the gameplay overall was pretty boring too. 

I don't like to speak badly about a game and I really want to like this game, but it just wasn't as good as I thought it would be. 
I wanted it to be Flower with challenges pretty much lol.

The Best Platinum of the Year
God of War III Remastered
1La1bc76.png

If anyone on this forum knows me. You knew this was the answer for me.
God of War is my love, its my favourite game series of all time. Im simply addicted to the series.
And God of War III is without a doubt my favourite game of all time.
So when on March 20th, on my birthday, a trailer releases on youtube that's called 'God of War III Remastered' I couldn't have been any fucking more excited.
Dude I was screaming, I was so happy. I pre-ordered the fuck out of it, finally I could take all the trophies for another God of War game.
I bought it and played it, since Im pretty good at it I finished Titan mode with almost no deaths taking the plat in around a day.
What a game this is, WHAT A GAME. I hope God of War I and God of War II comes to PS4 via Emulation so I can take more plats while I prepare for God of War IV.
.. I just love God of War so much..
I miss you..

Please Santa Monica..
Show GoW IV on Saturday

<3

Wurst Plat Uv Teh Yeer
Murdered Soul Suspect
1L09924a.png

I have a very dear friend. He works at Gamestop and we've worked together, he is amazing.
First he tells me to go buy Thief, he loved Thief got the plat and all. I got convinced and got Thief for 50 bucks.. Still haven't finished the story because of reasons...
Then he tells me to get this game called Murdered Soul Suspect and I had only heard about this game.
After a while I give in since people say its a super easy trophy list. I boot up a shit ton of collectibles guides and just sit down and play it.
I finished this game in 11 Hours and 35 Minutes, in almost one sitting.
This game was.. Bad, not the worst thing ever, I'd rather replay this then Sound Shapes because its sooo short. (And doesn't have 9739 dlc's)
But the trophy list is so fucking horribly bad. A lot of people complain about collectibles and online trophies. Luckily there is no online ones.
However I belive like every trophy except 4 is collectible trophies lol. 
Its actually one of the only things I remember about the game, with a pretty okay plot twist and shitty combat.

But the real reason why I hate this so much..

Is because I decided to get it as my 2000th trophy too. So not only do I have Murdered Soul Suspect, a game I didn't even like that much as my fastest plat. No its my 2000th trophy too.
I HATE that trophy picture, why did I do that... I can't defeat it either, I can't do a faster plat lol. I won't do Walking Dead super fast, I won't cloud save Sound Shapes, I won't get Megamind, I want a 'real' game to take over that spot because I hate that fucking game with a passion thanks to this.. (Seriously lol  xD )

• Like 2

Biggest Bomb of the Year

Assassin's Creed Unity. I had to play this because of a PSNP event and I was like: I'm lucky I got a AAA title. Yeah.. It was Awful Awful Awful! Glitches, boring collectables, bad storyline, random game breaking bugs in multiplayer (ask to madbuk). Totally regret playing this but at least I didn't pay full price!

Nah - I'm sure that it's perfectly normal to fall through walls and get trapped inside barrels of hay.

It's a glitch in the Helix console, not the game ;)

• Like 1

I am seeing a lot of Tell Tale games for the Lime Popsicle award :P.

Keep the nominations coming people :)

I think you forgot to put the hyperlink for the 2014 awards. I won't post my list until towards the very end of the year since I'm going to get at least one more platinum this month.

Well, I was going to start a list, then I realized I only platinumed 2 games all year.

Well post which was the Best and which was the Wurst :P

As usual I shall post my line up near the end of the year :dance:.

You kinda forgot to link last year's thread: http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/21994-dr-mayus-year-end-awards-2014/page-1 :ninja:

No I didn't :( I know I put the link in properly but I kept trying over and over and it wasn't linking. Maybe I will just post the link under the 2014 and it just won't look as cool :(

Edit: I had a bit on here of me crying about a mistake I made that wiped my writing, long story short, don't drag too many things clumsily into another tab. Without any further ado, here's mine, they are a lot shorter than originally and than I intended, but that happens when you're rewriting something you spent half an hour on and don't particularly want another half hour.

Lime Popsicle - The Order 1886

Good game, wasn't something I thought I'd be interested in but I was into it 100% pretty well from the get go. For the cheap price it always goes for, this game is well worth it. If a (n obviously hinted) sequel does ever come around, you can bet your sweet ass I'll be there day one.

Billy Mitchell - Peggle 2

Beneath the happy and fruity exterior of this game beats the heart of a maniacal bastard who wants nothing more than to crush your soul slowly piece by piece, day by day, and you will love it. But hate yourself. Or have an easier time than I did. 

Badass - Call of Duty: Black Ops III

The first time you ninja kill a guy while running along a really long wall, desperately clinging to life, is pretty damn badass. The guy I killed was pretty badass too, because he was apparently cooking a grenade, which unbeknownst to me, was dropped at the time of his death, which then killed me as I jumped off the wall.

Grind of the Year - Batman: Arkham Knight

The 200+ god damned Riddler trophies can suck me. I still haven't gotten around to doing them and I did everything bloody well else in the game within a couple of weeks and loved every second. If that's not a grind then I don't know what is.

Sleeper Hit - Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5

I know, I know, we all know. However, on my first plat run, the game, remarkably, actually worked 95% of the time and when it works this game is great. I'll be the first to admit it's not on the same level as THPS 3 or anything, but as far as sequels to things that came out way too late go, this is much better than Tron 2 and the Star Wars prequels.

Biggest Bomb - Guitar Hero Live

If I had to pick only one game to be the most disappointing of the year, it's this revival. Stupid new guitar, stupid new setup, stupid everything. I'll take Guitar Hero 2 and my shitty corded guitar over this mess any day of the week. In fact, if the PS4 is ever made backward compatible with PS2 retail discs, you can bet this will be one of the first I put in...until I remember the DualShock 2 to PS3 adapter didn't work well for Guitar Hero and has less than 0% chance of working on the PS4, and cry.

Best Platinum - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

I don't even have the platinum yet, but everything in this list has been so much fun to go for so far. Most of the list is just easy stuff you'll do while having fun, and I love that. No stupid horse shoe collecting, no oysters, time trials, pimping missions or anything. I love it. Max out your stats, don't max them out, who gives a shit. Admittedly, my opinion is biased due to my love of "classic" (Says classic, about the fifth of sixth release in a series) GTA titles, but this list is just great, hell, the list is probably the best part about this half assed port.

Worst Platinum - LittleBigPlanet 2

I actually enjoyed the week I spent with this game, even the shit with the bloody move controls I borrowed off a friend...but since it got me labelled as a cheater on here, it's by far the worst platinum I've ever gotten. Fuck that plat. 

Edited by Super-Fly Spider-Guy
  • Like 1