DC Cinematic Universe

TheVader66

While the DCCU definitely looks promising so far, I still am not 100% with everything especially when it comes to the Flash movie. For starters I'm not a big fan of Miller and I definitely can't imagine someone who looks like a woman play Barry Allen. Another thing that bothers me is that fan's of the CW Flash will definitely be a bit annoyed about the movie, especially since the series is at it's best right now both story and rating-wise. 

One thing that I liked about the MCU, is that both the movies and the TV shows (Agents of Shield, Agent Carter, Daredevil and soon the rest of the Defenders gang) tie-in nicely together.

DC's Tv universe being different to its movie universe is just stupid. The fact there are 2 flashes is just gonna confuse Joe public. Make the TV shows canon with the films. A movie universe is fine without Green arrow to begin with but at least have him make the occasional appearance. Leave the door open to be a full member once the show ends maybe? The Flash they could just cook up some story about alternate barry. They'll need to use their imagination on how he's actually a completely different person mind you. It makes you think why they signed off on a show about The Flash in the first place

• Like 1

DC's Tv universe being different to its movie universe is just stupid. The fact there are 2 flashes is just gonna confuse Joe public. Make the TV shows canon with the films. A movie universe is fine without Green arrow to begin with but at least have him make the occasional appearance. Leave the door open to be a full member once the show ends maybe? The Flash they could just cook up some story about alternate barry. They'll need to use their imagination on how he's actually a completely different person mind you. It makes you think why they signed off on a show about The Flash in the first place

No need for them to make an alternative Barry Allen. Simply casting Miller as Wally West (since he was a member of the JL), would be enough to keep fans of the show happy, plus making both the TV shows and the movie universe a bit more canon. 

When it comes to other shows in which most fans are already 'head canoning' like Gotham (prequel to Batman), Legends of Tomorrow (being both a prequel and a sequel to pretty much everything), Constantine recently turned out to be in the same universe of Arrow and soon Supergirl will be meeting The Flash next month, it's really not that difficult to tie all the shows and movies together. 

Edited by Yukizm69

No need for them to make an alternative Barry Allen. Simply casting Miller as Wally West (since he was a member of the JL), would be enough to keep fans of the show happy, plus making both the TV shows and the movie universe a bit more canon. 

When it comes to other shows in which most fans are already 'head canoning' like Gotham (prequel to Batman), Legends of Tomorrow (being both a prequel and a sequel to pretty much everything), Constantine recently turned out to be in the same universe of Arrow and soon Supergirl will be meeting The Flash next month, it's really not that difficult to tie all the shows and movies together.

Oh I agree with you. It would be easy to do they just don't have plans to. Constantine and supergirl are in the 'arrowverse' because cbs has a stake in the cw. It has been said numerous times that they will not crossover with Gotham and no TV show will crossover with the movies so the producers have creative freedom and won't be constrained by the other. The mistake they made was having a show about a 'Tier 1' hero in the Flash which makes me think they didn't really think it through

• Like 1

My guess is that a DCCU wasn't in the plans when Flash aired. That is why after showing Deadshot and a Harley cameo on Arrow, they had to stop using the characters because of the SS movie.

Now they are stuck with two Barry Allens. And don't be surprised if they find a way to kill/replace him before the JL/Flash movie.

My guess is that a DCCU wasn't in the plans when Flash aired. That is why after showing Deadshot and a Harley cameo on Arrow, they had to stop using the characters because of the SS movie.

Now they are stuck with two Barry Allens. And don't be surprised if they find a way to kill/replace him before the JL/Flash movie.

They could that but at the same time, they might use the excuse of the infinite earths. Which what I think they're doing with the Flash/Supergirl crossover.

They could that but at the same time, they might use the excuse of the infinite earths. Which what I think they're doing with the Flash/Supergirl crossover.

This is what I think as well, because if Supergirl is on the same earth as Barry and Oliver (Earth-1) they would have probably mentioned or know about two aliens flying around Metropolis and National city, plus the old 90's Flash being one of Barry's visions on his trip to Earth-2, further enhanced the Infinite Earths theory.

Also on a side-note Supergirl's producer recently said that he's happy to make more crossovers with other shows I believe.

Edit: Also talking about Flash, it seems we're going to see Ezra's Flash earlier then we thought.

Link: http://comicbook.com/2016/03/03/the-flash-and-cyborg-confirmed-in-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-just/

Edited by Yukizm69
  • Like 1

This is what I think as well, because if Supergirl is on the same earth as Barry and Oliver (Earth-1) they would have probably mentioned or know about two aliens flying around Metropolis and National city, plus the old 90's Flash being one of Barry's visions on his trip to Earth-2, further enhanced the Infinite Earths theory.

Also on a side-note Supergirl's producer recently said that he's happy to make more crossovers with other shows I believe.

Edit: Also talking about Flash, it seems we're going to see Ezra's Flash earlier then we thought.

Link: http://comicbook.com/2016/03/03/the-flash-and-cyborg-confirmed-in-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-just/

Yea, the only reason why I brough it up is because somebody in DC talked about that TV shows and the Movies are seperate but they're always connected, since DC is known for the Infinte Earth storyline and it might be used for the TV shows and Movies.

edit: so many typos (how tired was I)

Edited by TheVader66
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well this pretty much confirms that the DCCU like the TV universe will commit to the Multiverse idea as well, and also gives us a reason why Gustin wasn't cast for the Cinematic Universe Flash.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/justice-leagues-zack-snyder-reveals-why-he-passed-on-grant-gustin-as-the-flash

Also the recent trailer of SupergirlxFlash pretty much confirmed that Flash will time travel in order to meet Supergirl. Anyone who recognized this device on his emblem will know why. :P

untitled_by_yukizm-d9w4wva.jpg

Heard a lot of mixed reviews on BatmanVSuperman. It's either really good or really bad. I typically prefer DC over Marvel but Marvel is killin' it in the cinematic game right now, I don't think DC could catch up anytime soon. I can tell they're already off to a bad start  :S  Oh well, hopefully Suicide Squad makes up for that.

DC's best bet is their villains. Marvel's villains have nothing on DC when it comes to villains.

Heard a lot of mixed reviews on BatmanVSuperman. It's either really good or really bad. I typically prefer DC over Marvel but Marvel is killin' it in the cinematic game right now, I don't think DC could catch up anytime soon. I can tell they're already off to a bad start  :S  Oh well, hopefully Suicide Squad makes up for that.

DC's best bet is their villains. Marvel's villains have nothing on DC when it comes to villains.

Definitely agree with you, I really have high hopes for suicide squad for the same reasons.

I've just bought two tickets to go see the movie tomorrow. The fact that many reviewers are saying that it's better than Man of Steel was enough to convince myself to go see it and also Angry Joe seemed to like it to add more reason.

Definitely agree with you, I really have high hopes for suicide squad for the same reasons.

I've just bought two tickets to go see the movie tomorrow. The fact that many reviewers are saying that it's better than Man of Steel was enough to convince myself to go see it and also Angry Joe seemed to like it to add more reason.

Yeah I'm definitely going to go see it forsure and enjoy it regardless, I mean where else can you see the top 2 most famous superheroes of all time go toe to toe?

But as a comic book cinematic standpoint, I just don't think it'll be as good as it deserves to be, which is rather disappointing. But hey, if Angry Joe approves then I'm all in haha

• Like 1

Yeah I'm definitely going to go see it forsure and enjoy it regardless, I mean where else can you see the top 2 most famous superheroes of all time go toe to toe?

But as a comic book cinematic standpoint, I just don't think it'll be as good as it deserves to be, which is rather disappointing. But hey, if Angry Joe approves then I'm all in haha

Definitely and not to mention the rumored cameos. The 2 and a half hours of 3D is the only thing worrying me most about the movie due to my current frequent headaches.  :lol:

Yeah I get where you are coming from, AJ was the last straw that convinced me to watch it on release. I don't usually go to the movies, heck I haven't been to the movies since the first Avangers movie came out lmao. 

Edited by Yukizm69

I wrote an opinion piece kinda on reddit on this movie, I have the reddit piece down in the spoiler tag as it contains major spoilers, but I wrote what I thought about the movie without any spoilers even of the trailers down below if you want to know!
Also let me tell ya, Im a HUGE Marvel fan, and I like DC but not a huge fan overall, so you know beforehand :)

My thoughts on BvS

The movie is very average. It looks great, like a Zack Snyder movie, but the plot is ALL over the place at times. It has some subplots with Lois that could've been cut out from the movie as it didn't go anywhere and just dragged on. At parts it even felt like it was 2 different movies cut together, like here is Batman and Alfred talking about their plans and all of the sudden we have Superman building an relationship with Lois. The pacing was bad at times and shit like that. 
If you've seen the trailers basically everything has been spoiled, but two things is HUGE surprises though. The ending 'arc' is pretty good, the CG looks good most of the time and it works. The thing that happens is kinda thrown in though just because and the ending is amazing but without saying to much, I was gravely dissapointed by the end. Also there is no End Credit scene so don't wait!

I'd give the movie like a 6/10 in terms of rating, its a must see for both DC and Marvel fans, the cast NAILS it (Except Jesse Eisenberg imo, but you may like him, diveded community) but it has some pretty bad plot points, its a typical Snyder movie and I hope you're prepared for a very different Batman and you may not like it AT ALL. But I LOVED it!

Down below is what I wrote on Reddit, but THERE IS HEAVY SPOILERS IN THIS TAG. ITS HEEEEAAAVVYYY SPOILERS. If you want to know what I thought, read that^, if you want to spoil it or have already seen it, read the spoiler down below.

HEAVY SPOILERS FOLLOW

Hey, Im a HUGE Marvel fan, so keep that in mind in my small review here. I will begin by saying I've always liked DC a little bit, their games is better, Batman, Batman villains. I enjoy DC so to say, but I don't really follow any Comics or animated series, have watched their live action movies and will follow the DCU from now on.

Okay, so my viewpoints on this movie.

The movie is average, it has a lot of parts that could be CUT OUT from the movie, like Lois entire 'bullet detective' part as it didn't really lead anywhere. Actually you could've just deleted the entire part of the Africa killing. It didn't really matter in the end and as I said it didn't go anywhere. The scenes felt a little choppy and jumped around a lot. Almost liked they switched between being a Superman movie and a Batman movie.

I also found some of the nightmare stuff a little weird, but I LOVED the Flash scene. Absolutely blew my mind and it honestly was one of the greater bits in the movie.

Actually that summed up my opinion of the movie before the fighting and all pretty well, I found it to be too long, a little tedious and at parts it felt like 2 different movies, like 2 movies cut into one. (Part with Alfred and Batman, cut to Supes and Lois, and so on)

My viewpoint on the last fight(s). I loved the Batman vs Superman part, even though it was a little short, 

and the goddamn thing that stopped it. Martha.. Really? THATS IT? Oh well, also Superman could say

'we're being manipulated by Lex, he has my mother'

but I won't complain because the fight was solid lol :P

Doomsday felt very thrown in there, but he didn't look like a Ninja Turtle, he looked like a mountain troll from Lord of the Rings. I loved that Superman learned from his mistakes in Man of Steel and flew away from earth to avoid casualties.

I also loved Supes and WW fighting like hell and Doomsday running against Bats and Bats being like 'AW HELL NO' just grappling away from him :D

The final scene of Superman saying I love you and then dying was awesome, and him dying made me SO EXCITED. SOOOOOOO EXCITED. I was so happy, at the funeral and all I felt happy and shit 'Please Marvel, do this with Civil War, kill someone', 'Ah, this movie just become a solid like 7 for me.', 'Fuck yeah what an ending', Then Lois comes with earth in her hand and I lean over and say this to my friend 'If he's alive, Im going to burn this theater down' And well, I will have to find a new theater to watch movies at :P

Overall the movie was pretty average. They should've shortened it a lot and imagine an end credit scene with WW sitting at her computer getting a mail from Bruce saying 'Justice League' and in there is 3 videos, one of Flash, one of Cyborg and one of Aquaman (A BETTER ONE!!) That end credit scene would've been awesome and a lot better than how they showcased it in this movie. That's some of my general viewpoints.

Actors: Ben Affleck blew it out of the park, I actually had my doubts I really loved him as Batman, solid job. (Especially as Bruce Wayne!!!) Also, really loved the new take on Batman. When he just fucking straight up MURDERED people I was so excited lol.

Gal Gadot was cool, we haven't seen much of her yet since she felt like a little Sequel baity (Not complaining) but from what we've seen she's solid so far!

Henry Cavill was imo pretty good, a lot of people seems to hate on him but I feel like its an appealing Superman for a non Superman fan like me. Im sure you have a lot of different viewpoints but I could definitely get back this Superman while I have a tough time with him often.

Jesse Eisenberg was... UGGHHHHH.. I respect that they made him Jr and not the real Lex, and I really appreciate the entire plan and manipulation he did on Superman and on Batman. The fact that he wanted Batman to kill Superman, but if he failed he'd have Doomsday as backup, is pretty fucking awesome!! And the Senator part too, but him as a character. When he's first line was 'Ahoy Ahoy' I felt like shit, and when he had his little speech 'Bla bla bla' ugh. Just couldn't stand him.

In general I thought most of the cast was good and did a splendid job of showcasing characters. SHOUTOUT TO MY BOY JEREMY IRONS FOR NAILING ALFRED!

Edited by MarsipanRumpan
  • Like 2

I wrote an opinion piece kinda on reddit on this movie, I have the reddit piece down in the spoiler tag as it contains major spoilers, but I wrote what I thought about the movie without any spoilers even of the trailers down below if you want to know!

Also let me tell ya, Im a HUGE Marvel fan, and I like DC but not a huge fan overall, so you know beforehand :)

My thoughts on BvS

The movie is very average. It looks great, like a Zack Snyder movie, but the plot is ALL over the place at times. It has some subplots with Lois that could've been cut out from the movie as it didn't go anywhere and just dragged on. At parts it even felt like it was 2 different movies cut together, like here is Batman and Alfred talking about their plans and all of the sudden we have Superman building an relationship with Lois. The pacing was bad at times and shit like that. 

If you've seen the trailers basically everything has been spoiled, but two things is HUGE surprises though. The ending 'arc' is pretty good, the CG looks good most of the time and it works. The thing that happens is kinda thrown in though just because and the ending is amazing but without saying to much, I was gravely dissapointed by the end. Also there is no End Credit scene so don't wait!

I'd give the movie like a 6/10 in terms of rating, its a must see for both DC and Marvel fans, the cast NAILS it (Except Jesse Eisenberg imo, but you may like him, diveded community) but it has some pretty bad plot points, its a typical Snyder movie and I hope you're prepared for a very different Batman and you may not like it AT ALL. But I LOVED it!

I've just finished watching the movie a few hours ago and I agree with pretty much everything you said, especially for the sub-plots bit. Loyal/by the book Batman fans will probably, like you said won't be happy with this Batman, but like you said he was immensely bad-ass.

The cast in general also nailed it, especially Affleck as I had my doubts when I heard he was being cast as Bats but I couldn't be more happier and satisfied with his performance. Also for everyone who like me hated Bats voice in TDK trilogy will be pleased with his voice in this one. 

One last thing that I really enjoyed about the movie is the soundtrack, which personally always hits me the most when it comes to both movies and video-games. 

Overall I personally give this movie an 8/10. It doesn't deserve it's current criticism to be honest and it's a must watch for any comic-book fans out there.

Major Spoiler's Below

One thing that REALLY bugged me and I was certain it will when I heard the rumor was Ezra's Flash appearance in the movie. Yes, for everyone not familiar with the TV series wouldn't care less about this, but seeing another Barry Allen in the movie just bugged the hell out of me. His cameo scene was no less awesome though, and same goes for the rest of the metahumans.

Last thing that kind of disappointing me was that the 'Knightmare' turned out to be a dream/hallucination(?), in which I honestly expected it to be. I liked the scene regardless as I was really shocked yet somewhat excited as hell seeing rage-mode Batman killing the hell out of Superman's troops, especially when he got his hands on that pistol and snapped the neck of one of the troops. Also for comic nerds like myself, the parademons appearance was a nice touch to the easter-egg.

As for the ending, I was satisfied with it. It closed one chapter of the movie's universe nicely but I wouldn't call it a GREAT ending as much as people are calling it. I mean yes Superman sacrificed himself in order to kill Doomsday (which is a very nice nod to the comics also, really liked how the scene turned out), but in all honesty this is Superman, he ain't going to stay dead and the last two seconds before the credits started rolling pretty much confirmed it.

Also for anyone who saw the movie, does anyone else think that General Swanwick may be J'onn J'onzz? I really got that impression throughout his appearance in the movie, he really reminded me of Supergirl's Hanshaw to be honest.

Edited by Yukizm69
  • Like 1

I found the movie to be like every other Zack Synder Film I've Seen From 300, 300 Rise of the Empire, Sucker Punch and Watchmen, it's best watched in short burst as I Fell Asleep after a while but overall it's visual beautiful but I'd say watch it at home while eating dinner in front the TV because the dialogue can get dull like most of his movies so food should help to keep you awake I would rate it 7 out of 10 or 3 out of 5 like MarispanRumpan said it's a typical Synder Film, Watch for the Line Up of Superheroes, Live Action Comic Book Pages and Ben Affleck's Batman, also if you played Injustice and loved it, they have a visual reference to the Injustice game.

Edited by Shaowsintzu

I thought I'd pop round to give thoughts after my viewing. I thought Man of Steel was a solid 8/10, apart from that film, I have very basic knowledge on pretty much every character that hasn't already been established (not including Batman though). I've never read a DC comic in my life. Batman v Superman is in my top 5 comicbook movies of all time. I fucking loved it, the acting, the action, how parts were actually emotional (I'm looking at you Age of Ultron), and apart from one character (you probably know who), the casting was on point too. 

So firstly, Batman's intro was awesome, we've seen the scene a billion times. I thought the slow motion effects, and how the guns hammer shattered Martha's necklace was really great cinematography. Seeing the Wayne's going out swinging was a first for me, definitely made more sense to me than a thug with an itchy trigger finger. Then, Bruce's charge into Metropolis as it was being torn apart by Kal and Zod was on point. Really established Bruce's motivations during the film, to him Superman has done more damage than what he's spent the last 20 years protecting people from. We see an older Batman in this film, one who's upcoming solo film will be a prequel (I assume). We see Robin's suit with green spray paint on - The Joker. I think that Batman's no kill rule will be broken starting with the Joker, after he kills Robin and gets the last laugh. From that point on, Batman has hung up his cape, but no longer has any qualms about killing. I thought this was a really well done move, though I hope the Justice League films grants him a no-kill attitude once more, as it'd be weird to see non-lethal superheroes paired with some man killing people alongside them.

Superman was alright in the first half of the film. He wasn't as prominent as Batman, probably because this was his second film, but I felt that he was portrayed exactly as he should've been. My major gripe with the Avengers, is that it isn't until now, a bazillion films into the MCU, that they must answer for the unaccountable damage they've done. People are fearful of Superman straight out the gate, he has the power to save people, but also the power to take a life effortlessly, and when we see him save Louise (Did I spell her name correctly?) in Africa, this opens up the gate to talks about if he should be regulated or sanctioned or whatever. Superman was mainly present as a figure rather than a character in the first parts of the film, seeing all the other characters reactions to him overshadowed his parts in the beginning. We now have Lex, who is fucking weird and I don't know if I like it or not. His party speech went out to convey how awkward he is, but something still felt off in his performance for me. Anyway, this is where we see Wonder Woman (I don't think we got her real name in the film?), who's motivations are unclear to me. She wanted something from Lex, but what? A clip of Aquaman in a shampoo ad? I still don't get her goal in the film, maybe we'll see in her prelude film.

Apologies if I skip parts of the film, I don't have a 1:1 recollection of it, so my placement of scenes may be a bit off. The first major gripe of the film was Batman's dream within a dream, where he is fighting a superman army, then knocked out by a bunch of winged men. Did I doze off and wake up in the ending or something? What the hell is happening. Then it turns out that was the future, and some dude is warning Batman, only before he wakes up again. Weird scene for me, it locks DC into a seemingly specific plot, and made BvS more confusing than it had to be. An aftercredits version of this scene that is heavily edited to cut superman showing up (Since he's 'dead' at the end) would've been a better choice for me. 

Superman's court thingy goes south, people get mad, Batman dicks around with Lexcorp and takes the Kryponite. Lex is either pissed at Batman or knows he'll finish off Superman. When he kidnaps his mother and gives him and ultimatum, I thought that he was pulling strings by pitting Superman and Batman against eachother, as he knows Batman has the means to end him, pretty clever move. Batman vs Superman wasn't underwhelming, though it was definitely short lived. I'm happy for this, as a 1 hour all out brawl would've gotten tiring, especially when Superman is invincible at full strength. The whole 'Martha' moment was touching to me, as Bruce is reliving his own mother dying, and promises Superman he won't let it happen to him. This scene is one of the best, as it makes Bruce realise that Superman is just some dude who has parents too. He goes all out in the next scene, fighting for Martha, Supermans' mother, but in a way his own mother. This was definitively the best Batman fight scene on screen. Inspiration on the Arkham franchise here, Batman's punches felt extra painful at just the right moments, and when he impales that guy with his claw, then swings him into another guy.. woah.

I didn't give two shits about Doomsday's appearance or quick demise, something i see a lot of hate on. I felt that there was really no need for him, as it was a great film ending before there. Not much to say about this fight, Louise was a tad silly throwing the spear into the well thing, but I can't blame her for wanting to get rid of the one thing that could kill Superman. Wonder Woman here was cool, though still iffy motivations. Doomsday's bone animations were really cool cg, and Superman's sacrifice was the only way I feel the fight could've ended without feeling​ too lacklustre. I see people saying they crammed too much into the film, and I kind of agree, but on the other hand, I also think that it was done so well that I could watch the film again without finding a boring part. 

Exciting throughout, some great scenes. Props for making the film gritty, I was worried we were going to get something too similar to Marvel films with the pg13 rating. I appreciate how little comedy 'relief' there was, it really takes me out when characters have to make stupid quips every five seconds out of some writer's fear that the audience if gonna get tired if we don't hear a poorly timed joke in a high stakes situation. 

I say, bring the next one on! Lex was the only bad part of the film, and now that he's in jail, I guess DC dont have to release him. Hopefully this reads better than incomprehensible rambling, I tried my darndest to get my thoughts on the film into words.

By the by, speaking of a next one, what will the next one be? I know Suicide Squad is releasing, but I'd consider that a spin off rather than a full entry. Batman Solo? Aquaman? Wonderwoman? Justice League?

Edited by Saltyie
  • Like 3

Well, my summary of SvB will be very brief.

The Best: Wonder Woman. (Due her performance and Snyder's direction of her character).

Now, saying that I'm saying Affleck's Batman was bad? No. I just appreciate more a detective batman more than a military batman.
In the same way that I didn't like a pal Alfred, or maybe it's just me got used to Irons always being a badass because it was needed but now not needed imo.
For what all people said, all it's justified due the dark tone of the comic source, being more mature than the cute Marvel Universe.

I think that only being a DC fan I'd be agreed. I knew the realistic "dark" path shown in MoS, I liked, but I don't feel that SvB gave me something relevant, a plus.
Superman, well, Cavill did the "do not fix what it's not broken", I felt as I was watching a Man of Steel 2.1, basically as I felt Age of Ultron in MU just with a LITTLE difference, it was me or in MoS Superman decided to surrender and show the world that he's not a menace.
Now I watched BVS and I felt that Superman was just introduced in this film, and nobody trusted him. Being the only exception the people he saved.

The Bad: The movie wanted to tell so much but it could be told in a better way. 

Edited by GoldenShaka

How do we feel about the 3+ hour R-rated dvd release? Im very excited, if it gives us more pacing in between action scenes Ill be happy.

I'm actually looking forward for the R-rated release, as I really want to know how different it's going to be from the cinema release. Also I think it was announced that Barbara Gordon/Batgirl is going to make an appearance on the DVD release if I'm not mistaken. 

I'm actually looking forward for the R-rated release, as I really want to know how different it's going to be from the cinema release. Also I think it was announced that Barbara Gordon/Batgirl is going to make an appearance on the DVD release if I'm not mistaken. 

How do we feel about the 3+ hour R-rated dvd release? Im very excited, if it gives us more pacing in between action scenes Ill be happy.

Is this really happening?