Shenmue HD remasters of I and II hinted at...

JapanimeGamer

I just received an update from the Kickstarter project and within this was a selection of pictures of how the game is doing so far.

Firstly we are now told that the Shenmue story will be in 11 chapters, this is not 11 games... please allow me to try and explain.

(Taken from my email)...

Shenmue I was chapter 1.

Shenmue II was chapter 2 but also contained parts of chapters 4 and 5.

Shenmue III will begin in chapter 5 and move on past chapter 6.

/End.

So lets say that If Shenmue III ended on chapter 7 (or even 8) then this would mean at least Shenmue IV would be required to take us to the promised 11th and final chapter. Many of us Shenmue fans are not expecting the story to end with Shenmue III... there is still much story left to tell.

Now, some very exciting news (well, maybe)...

Included in my email are some stills, some pictures of old Shenmue II objects, but these are now being shown in far more detail and I quote...

''​A shadow resembling Ine-san’s is present. Why do you suppose that is?''

That is a BIG hint towards re-mastered Shenmue I and II...

Yu Suzuki likes to tease with this type of thing, remember the pictures of fork lift trucks appearing before Shenmue III's announcement at E3?

I really doubt that Shenmue III would be created and released without the HD re-masters of I and II for so many reasons, not least because a lot of people would not know the back ground...

Anyway, nothing is official, but in true Shenmue form there are some good sized hints to keep us hoping...

Edited by JapanimeGamer
  • Like 1

It has been so long already that even many people who played I and II have probably forgotten much of the story.

As you say, at least a catch up would be essential, however I do believe the re-masters are coming.

As of right now the Kickstarter project has raised 6.4 million US dollars from people who are entirely taking a leap of faith.

As with this type of game the story goes forwards and backwards alot as new things are discovered and the plot thickens...

I cannot really say anything specific as it would be a spoiler, but basically there is much that Ryo does not know that has happened in the past as he searches for the truth, and this will likely be content that would have been in chapter 3 but will only come to the surface in chapter 5 as he learns about it.

It is like one of those 'Oh so that's what happened' type of scenarios... where we see later on, what happened earlier.

I hope that makes sense.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

We 'only' have 2 more years to wait until S3.

However, any re-masters could come our way in the fall of next year.

Normally speculation is frowned upon as pure gossip and often quickly disgarded, but in the case of Shenmue we have always been shrouded in rumour and mystery, for the past 15 years it has been this way. I don't think the coming couple of years will be any different and to be honest with you, i am ok with that.

Good things come to those who wait.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

Hate to be a killjoy, but I guess I'm not seeing the hint at a remaster.  Especially considering the folks behind Shenmue III and the Kickstarter campaign have no rights as far as the first two games are concerned.  That's SEGA's call.

That being said, with Shenmue's names in the headlines again after approx. 14 years, they'd be stupid not to remaster them.  There'll never be a better time to do it.

Edited by FrecLognAizeW
  • Like 1

I dont see any problem to be honest anymore, i think SEGA would be happy for SONY re-master the first two games, i mean, SEGA gets paid and they also get advertised.

As anyone who has played the originals will know there are more than a few SEGA references in the Shenmue series, not least with mini games etc... I think alot of the bad blood from the turn of the century has been diluted somewhat, wounds can eventually heal, especially if you wrap a big enough dollar bill over them.

I also think that the discussion about re-masters of the original games probably has been ongoing for a long time, and not only since the announcement of S3.

Time will tell.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

• 5 months later...

Shenmue I and II re-masters on their way?

Watch this short clip to hear the latest...

Is this even an official channel?

He's not really saying anything, except the bits that the fans need to hear to keep the hope alive.

I'd like to see a remaster, but I wonder if people could still enjoy these games today without ever playing them before. I tried again on the Dreamcast not too long ago and the controls were just terrible.

Imo the Yakuza games are a great spiritual successor.

There's still a ton of time between now and Shenmue III coming out.  If something like this is actually announced and released, it'd probably be closer to summer of 2017 to take full advantage of the hype around III.

Personally, I love the Shenmue games, two of my favorites of all time easily... but it is representative of a very different era of gaming.  All of the things that made the original Shenmue games great ("lifelike" graphics, day/night cycles, weather cycles, a breathing open "city" to navigate, narrative heavy, interactive cinematics/QTE's) are all things that are either hated or completely taken for granted by this new generation of games/gamers.  Take the significance of those things away... and it's admittedly a pretty dull, clunky, lumbering experience.  The nostalgia goggles will need to be strong with it, because depending on how these hypothetical remasters are handled... it could actually turn people off to Shenmue III.

EDIT: That being said, I'd preorder a remastering of them today if I could.  Even if it costed the full $60 retail per game (hell, I put up almost $200 on the Shenmue III kickstarter).  Sure would beat this half developed, easily save corrupted emulator I've occasionally tried to chug through on my PC.  Throw some trophies in the mix and proper widescreen/1080p support on my big ol' HDTV?  I'd be in heaven.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

Is this even an official channel?

He's not really saying anything, except the bits that the fans need to hear to keep the hope alive.

I'd like to see a remaster, but I wonder if people could still enjoy these games today without ever playing them before. I tried again on the Dreamcast not too long ago and the controls were just terrible.

Imo the Yakuza games are a great spiritual successor.

The guy in the video is Sega community manager Dan Sheridan.

Considering there has never been any real word from SEGA about the re-masters of Shenmue I and II then I consider this to be a huge step in the right direction.

The fact that Dan says SEGA are looking at ways to make this happen is very encouraging.

In 2014 a fan of Shenmue (Kid Nocon) started to make his own re-master videos of Shenmue.

Here is one of those videos...

As this is a rumour thread until anything is officially announced I just want to say that I heard a while back that this guy had been in talks with SEGA about helping them re-master Shenmue and that they were working together to make this a reality.

Enjoy the video...

Edited by JapanimeGamer

The guy in the video is Sega community manager Dan Sheridan.

Thanks, I thought he was maybe a random Youtuber and Sega fan.

I still don't know if it means that much. What else are they gonna say without committing or pissing people off?

In my experience companies are always "looking into" fulfilling fan requests.

• Like 1