We Read

I've been reading this series by Carole Nichole Douglas about a black cat called Midnight Louie who lives in Sin City and helps solve murders. If you loved The Cat Who series, this is the next step up. There are chapters told in the first-person POV by Louie himself, which makes the books really cool. ? There is a lot more R-rated material(aka lime-flavored sex scenes) because, well, it's Sin City, but I've been going through it well enough. I am already on Cat in a Quicksilver Caper.

519RPJT7RCL._AC_UL320_SR204,320_.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Impressions of the first two chapters of Ready player Two.
Ernest's writing is still the same. The references are not as bad as ready player one but it's still full of references to old stuff like Armada was.
The story centers around a new riddle and the fact that sword art online headsets have been introduced into the ready player one world.
For those who didn't know, in ready player one the interface for the Oasis did not let you touch, feel, smell, and taste the virtual world.
These new headsets do.
Saying anything else would be a spoiler

Spoiler

Wade is still a dumbass. ?

On 11/24/2020 at 11:23 AM, Wavergray said:

Impressions of the first two chapters of Ready player Two.
Ernest's writing is still the same. The references are not as bad as ready player one but it's still full of references to old stuff like Armada was.
The story centers around a new riddle and the fact that sword art online headsets have been introduced into the ready player one world.
For those who didn't know, in ready player one the interface for the Oasis did not let you touch, feel, smell, and taste the virtual world.
These new headsets do.
Saying anything else would be a spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

Wade is still a dumbass. 1f605.png

That is a nice nod to SAO and kind of makes sense. They did refer to smell in book one but was used more as a gimick. Hmm I though the point torwards the end was to people less enthralled in the virtual world not make it more realistic.

Finished ready player two and it's okay. While it is still full of references, the overall quality of writing has improved.
While it is a funny meme to quote parts of his books out of context, it really is no worse than the majority of novels that are released each year.
Outside of reference cringe most of the book is just a standard novel with a slightly trope filled story.
Klein is also obviously an optimist because all three of his stories end on a feel good uptick and hope that humanity will improve in the future and stop focusing on escapism so much.

If you liked to first book and haven't let the internet ruin it for you. You will most likely enjoy this book as well.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DoctorDrPepper said:

I'm two hundred pages in and I think I can safely say Ready Player Two is the worst book i've ever read. And I fucking HATE the first one.

This fuckin' hack makes me laugh so much with his shit ass writing. He's the Tommy Wiseau of literature.

That is a bold statement, most people consider The Eye of Argon the worst thing ever written. For me it that one is up there. I included a link to it. Cline is not is the league of other writers but he is still not bad.

https://ansible.uk/misc/eyeargon.html