PS2 Emulation news, A lot of games confirmed! (Dark Cloud, GTA)

MarsipanRumpan

It's disappointing for players that still have PS2 discs lying around that putting in your disc won't let you download the PS4 emulated version for free, like M$ is doing with backward's compatibility.  

Still, from a "preservation of gaming history" perspective, this is a very good thing. And it does appear that someone at Sony or the original devs is making the effort to code in trophy support and up-scaled graphics and frame rates. 

It saddens me that the industry basically throws out each generations classics every 5 years or so. While the TVs and tech we run our games on get better and better, people who want to play classic games have to go to more and more elaborate steps and expense to keep their old games alive on current TVs and hardware. 

Still, to read the comments on that Eurogamer article already linked in the OP, you'd be forgiven for thinking that Shuhei himself had just cut off a kitten's head and vomited half digested lumps of fecal matter down it's exposed neck hole, the way some of them are reacting. 

Edited by StrickenBiged
  • Like 1

I've not played Dark Cloud 2, but Dark Cloud was one of my favourite games back in the day lol

This is very good news, now if only they'd do a physical release of a 'Dark Cloud HD Collection'.

It is quite sucky however that people who have already bought PS2 Classic versions won't be supported or even provided with a free 'upgrade' since they can prove that have already purchased the game and haven't just borrowed it or bought a preowned copy.

Edited by Maftet

The disc thing I can understand, since the PS2 used 2 different discs, one being a CD which the PS4 can't read at all. Maybe to avoid mass confusion, they're just locking out discs completely, or just one type?

The PS2 Classics are digital, so not including those is rather odd, but sadly, I expected it. Looking at PS Now, I'm pretty sure they're going to want us to pay for games we already own. I'm going to wait and see before passing final judgement.

• Like 2

The PS2 Classics are digital, so not including those is rather odd, but sadly, I expected it. Looking at PS Now, I'm pretty sure they're going to want us to pay for games we already own. I'm going to wait and see before passing final judgement.

It would probably have been harder to convert PS2 classics running on PS3 to PS4 owing to the PS3's cell processor, which was a complicated and unique arcitecture. 

Are you sure the PS4 can't run CDs? I'm sure I heard my wife playing music through it.

That would be awesome (now add and SMT universe PS2 games, Rogue Galaxy, Shadow Hearts trilogy, Star Oceans 3, Disgaea 1/2 and Suikoden 4/5 to that list, please..).

Still it's sad about the disc thing, since I still have my ps2 collection.. actually I was initially happy about the emulator because I still own the games and I only realised that it wouldn't play from discs after reading the posts here.. now I'm a bit sad :( , just hope that the prices are symbolic or something, but I doubt that they will be under €15.. 

This also means that the list of games will be somewhat limited, because only games that they re-release will be available digitally.

Actually all this just seams like a 2.0 version of the current PS2 HD remakes model, AKA even cheaper way to get more money from us..

Honestly, (Dark Cloud aside), this is terrible news. I was kind of expecting it, but still terrible news. Backwards compatibility is basically useless if they just put discs aside. I bought a game, I'm not going to buy it again. This isn't backwards compatibility, this is basically a cheap mass remaster of PS2 games for the PS4.

And to top it off, not even PS2 classics bought on the PS3 work? Talk about adding insult to injury.

• Like 3

I know a lot of you are upset because of "no-disc" news .  but im sure they will not charge 60€ for the games .... i mean i think they will be around 15-20 € .  Dark cloud with trophies is 20€ worth in my opinion .

So for me, the Dark Cloud news is so amazing that i really dont care to buy the game again .  You can play DC and DC2 so many hours .... i saw some 60 € games with less content . :) (i know you are upset because you already paid for the games but ..... why not playing it on your old ps2? )

I know a lot of you are upset because of "no-disc" news .  but im sure they will not charge 60€ for the games .... i mean i think they will be around 15-20 € .  Dark cloud with trophies is 20€ worth in my opinion .

So for me, the Dark Cloud news is so amazing that i really dont care to buy the game again .  You can play DC and DC2 so many hours .... i saw some 60 € games with less content . :) (i know you are upset because you already paid for the games but ..... why not playing it on your old ps2? )

That's the whole thing.

A - As I said before, I already bought the games, I'm not going to buy them again, regardless of trophies or 60 fps. Even if they're on cheaper side, it's still cheaper to just hold onto the copy you already have since the game itself is virtually the same. Always remember: cheap ≠ free.

B - Why not play on my old PS2? Sure, I can do that. Problem is, if backwards compatibility was a standard, we wouldn't have to keep our old consoles around, taking up space around our TV (not to mention having to maintain and repair them in case something goes haywire). Instead, we would be able to play our entire collection on a single, more advanced machine, instead of having a lot of old equipment cluttering up our space.

Sounds like Sony wants us to either buy our games up to three times or turn our houses into gaming museums.

• Like 3

I'm actually really excited for this. I never bought any ps2 classics, and I don't own games like Ape Escape, Dark Cloud, or Twisted Metal Black. Even if they added games that I already own, I would probably buy it again. My PS2 is at my dad's house, and I only go there every other weekend, and I normally don't touch my ps2 while I'm there. 

TL;DR: Sony isn't going to let you play your already owned PS2 games for free when they can make money off of it another way. They are not going to show much desperate goodwill like MS because they are in a distant first place, and sadly that's what happens.

Sony was going to do this regardless their position and they have a right too. BC isn't a desperate goodwill move as it was planned from the begin with Rare Replay.