PS2 Emulation news, A lot of games confirmed! (Dark Cloud, GTA)

MarsipanRumpan

Trophies for Dark Cloud?

giphy.gif

There's nothing else that need be said. I'm not sure why I even bothered posting this. The thread should have stopped here.

Its obviously not BC (since the Discs are not supported), just another way to say "Remaster". 

Cant believe people are not seeing that

Oh, they are. And I'm as sick of re-masters as anyone. Unless it's Dark Cloud 2...

• Like 1

Sony was going to do this regardless their position and they have a right too. BC isn't a desperate goodwill move as it was planned from the begin with Rare Replay.

I don't know, I feel like it would be different if Sony wasn't in first (or that they wouldn't even do it at all). I feel like they were more receptive to their fanbase during the PS3 days, because right now MS has done a really good job of listening to their fanbase, that's where I was coming from. Sony is listening, but it seems like MS is delivering a bit more right now for their requests.

But yeah they have every right and it's unfortunate that this leak has everyone running to all sorts of conclusions. I'm perfectly fine with it, but only because I didn't buy any PS2 classics on PS3. And my original Dark Cloud disc is pretty crappy now.

Edited by Death_Ninja

Oh, they are. And I'm as sick of re-masters as anyone. Unless it's Dark Cloud 2...

Don't be, these re-masters are going to be sweet if the right games are chosen. I'm not here for Call of Duty or Fifa 2004, if they give as classics as in true PS2 exclusives, I'll support this practice.

Also, to everyone. Sony is a business first your friend second. If you brought a PS4 thinking it could play PS1 or PS2 disc, then you may as well jump onto PC gaming for the emulators.

• Like 3

Don't be, these re-masters are going to be sweet if the right games are chosen. I'm not here for Call of Duty or Fifa 2004, if they give as classics as in true PS2 exclusives, I'll support this practice.

Also, to everyone. Sony is a business first your friend second. If you brought a PS4 thinking it could play PS1 or PS2 disc, then you may as well jump onto PC gaming for the emulators.

Not to mention aren't there PC emulators that actually play right off of PS2 discs inserted into the PC?

• Like 1

Not to mention aren't there PC emulators that actually play right off of PS2 discs inserted into the PC?

Some do, I think the best emulator at the moment is PCXSC (I can't remember the name lol). I just don't get why people think the disc would work in the first place? I just hope they are cheaper than the current pricing.

• Like 1

That's the whole thing.

A - As I said before, I already bought the games, I'm not going to buy them again, regardless of trophies or 60 fps. Even if they're on cheaper side, it's still cheaper to just hold onto the copy you already have since the game itself is virtually the same. Always remember: cheap ≠ free.

B - Why not play on my old PS2? Sure, I can do that. Problem is, if backwards compatibility was a standard, we wouldn't have to keep our old consoles around, taking up space around our TV (not to mention having to maintain and repair them in case something goes haywire). Instead, we would be able to play our entire collection on a single, more advanced machine, instead of having a lot of old equipment cluttering up our space.

Sounds like Sony wants us to either buy our games up to three times or turn our houses into gaming museums.

A) Yeah and no one is forcing you to buy it again! I dont know why ppl complain about something that is clearly not meant for them.  If you dont want to pay money for the trophy and 60fps , than dont do it ^^ . If you want something extra than pay for it .  Why everyone wants free stuff? (i mean i know why ppl want it , but why complaining if they dont get something for free? thats somehow rude) .

B) Ps2 taking much space? i dont know but everyone is complaining about digital games but in my opinion retail games take way more space in my room than a second (third) console.  Only because the number of a console name is getting bigger doesnt mean it has to play all old games. But what ever , this discussion is pretty old .

Edited by Xionx

Some do, I think the best emulator at the moment is PCXSC (I can't remember the name lol). I just don't get why people think the disc would work in the first place? I just hope they are cheaper than the current pricing.

Gotcha lol

Yeah not once did I ever believe that physical discs would ever work, people were really expecting a lot out of this. Well PS2 Classics were $9.99 in their vanilla versions. I personally wouldn't be surprised the new 1080p/trophy enabled versions to be $14.99 or something. But no higher than that.

• Like 1

Gotcha lol

Yeah not once did I ever believe that physical discs would ever work, people were really expecting a lot out of this. Well PS2 Classics were $9.99 in their vanilla versions. I personally wouldn't be surprised the new 1080p/trophy enabled versions to be $14.99 or something. But no higher than that.

Nice try, that's why I recommend PCSX2 to ya  lol ( You can only download it and it can't make your PC run PS2 DVDs). $15 is too much, super star wars in my country is under $10 (I live in England).

Good attempt on trying to catch me out, your ninja skills are ninja but I too am beast in "Gotcha" lol.

Edited by FlareXV

A) Yeah and no one is forcing you to buy it again! I dont know why ppl complain about something that is clearly not meant for them.  If you dont want to pay money for the trophy and 60fps , than dont do it ^^ . If you want something extra than pay for it .  Why everyone wants free stuff? (i mean i know why ppl want it , but why complaining if they dont get something for free? thats somehow rude) .

Basically, I'm just disappointed that the PS2 emulation turned out to just be a cheap mass remaster of old games instead of the backwards compatibility a lot of us longed for.

(And how is asking for a better service rude? It's not like I'm demanding they give me the console for free).

B) Ps2 taking much space? i dont know but everyone is complaining about digital games but in my opinion they take way more space in my room than a second (third) console.  Only because the number of a console name is getting bigger doesnt mean it has to play all old games. But what ever , this discussion is pretty old .

The console itself doesn't take up much space, but it does have to sit right next to the TV, alongside all my other (three) consoles... not to mention I have a limited number of shelves, the consoles have to ventilate properly and I have a limited number of electrical plugs... so you can see how backwards compatibility would be pretty handy for me.

Basically, I'm just disappointed that the PS2 emulation turned out to just be a cheap mass remaster of old games instead of the backwards compatibility a lot of us longed for.

(And how is asking for a better service rude? It's not like I'm demanding they give me the console for free).

The console itself doesn't take up much space, but it does have to sit right next to the TV, alongside all my other (three) consoles... not to mention I have a limited number of shelves, the consoles have to ventilate properly and I have a limited number of electrical plugs... so you can see how backwards compatibility would be pretty handy for me.

i understand the dissapoinment , but i dont mean "better service" .  But getting an emulator + trophies +  higher resolution  for free is little bit much. Dont get me wrong , i would take all of that for free to , but i dont mind to pay little bit for my favorite ps2 games again to enjoy all the extras.

On second part .... i dont know ..... you are not able to play with all three at same time so why keep all plugged in? OK this discussion is a "opinion against opinion" thing so maybe we stop on that.

I really understand if someone is dissapointed if something is not turning out like ppl wish, but dont forget that sony was never prmising anything in this direction , so it is cool that they care about ps2 games on ps4 in some way.

• Like 2

Nice try, that's why I recommend PCSX2 to ya  lol ( You can only download it and it can't make your PC run PS2 DVDs). $15 is too much, super star wars in my country is under $10 (I live in England).

Good attempt on trying to catch me out, your ninja skills are ninja but I too am beast in "Gotcha" lol.

:lol:  Nooooooo, I meant "gotcha" as in "I got it" for the name of the emulator, I believed you and was gonna check it out hahaha

Edited by Death_Ninja

My take on your discussion is: Its emulation, it never was backwards compatibility. So its expected we won't see disks working.
However, they just said PS2 classics won't be compatible, who says PS2 classics can't return and be cross buy. This emulating program is adding extra content and functions, its basically like a dlc. So I think its pretty reasonable that we have to pay for them. 
And again, PS2 classics might come, however without trophies, without shareplay, without Remore play

I just saw this on the us playstation blog. I didn't see a post about it, but I didn't feel like making a new topic.

Hello everyone. As we continue our celebration of the PlayStation 20th anniversary, we want to take a look back at the heritage that helped propel us to the brand that we are today. PlayStation 2 holds a special place in the hearts of many gamers who have fond memories of playing some of the biggest franchises in gaming.
23204128940_f04b8ac410_b.jpg
PS2 remains the best-selling console of all time, thanks in part to the revolutionary tech built into the box, such as support for the DVD format for games and movies, a powerful graphics processor, and specialized chips for particle effects and physics. Above and beyond the technical innovations that made PS2 stand apart is the huge catalog of amazing and much loved games, such as Dark Cloud, Twisted Metal: Black, and the PS2-era classic Grand Theft Auto games, Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, just to name a few.
To celebrate our PS2 heritage, I’m excited to announce that starting tomorrow, you will be able to purchase and play PS2 games on your PS4 via PlayStation Store in the Americas and Europe.
We are getting things started with a bang by launching with eight fan favorites tomorrow:
Dark Cloud — $14.99
Grand Theft Auto III — $14.99
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City — $14.99
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas — $14.99
Rogue Galaxy — $14.99
The Mark of Kri — $14.99
Twisted Metal: Black — $9.99
War of the Monsters — $9.99
23131910459_5f8b1106c2_b.jpg23417402551_4b3285a83e_b.jpg
Having these titles available on PS4 is already incredibly exciting for us, but we did not stop there. We have brought these titles forward to meet today’s gaming standards by adding Trophy support! Each title’s Trophy set has been carefully developed in conjunction with feedback from the original creators to be sure that they capture the spirit and feeling of each game.
Also, you will be able to experience all of these PS2 games like never before — in up-rendered 1080p with the features you expect from a PS4 game including Remote Play, Live Broadcast, Share Play, Activity Feeds, and Second Screen support for game manuals with PlayStation Vita or PlayStation App.
And if you’re attending PlayStation Experience in San Francisco this weekend, you’ll be able to play these PS2 games on PS4 at the show floor:
Dark Cloud
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
PaRappa the Rapper 2 (coming soon)
Rogue Galaxy
The King of Fighters 2000 (coming soon)
The Mark of Kri
War of the Monsters
23204128760_4fb9447874_b.jpg
We will be working tirelessly to bring you your favorite PS2 games with new releases on a regular basis, and we hope you love playing PS2 games on PS4 as much as we did making them! So tell us, what PS2 games do you want to play on your PS4?
Long live PlayStation!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/12/04/fan-favorite-ps2-games-launching-on-ps4-tomorrow/

Edited by soultaker655
  • Like 3

While it's disappointing that discs or PS3 classics we own won't carry over to PS4 (not that I was actually expecting disc support), it's understandable given how much effort is required to optimise and add trophy support for the PS4 release. Expecting to just pop in your old discs and get games for free was pretty far fetched. I know that the Xbone does something similar for 360 games, but that's different. The Xbone is emulating the 360 and makes no improvements over the original game itself. For Microsoft, it's about as much effort as flipping a switch, but it's not that simple for this kind of emulation. I for one am just happy this is actually happening. I would happily repurchase certain games with added trophy support and a considerable boost in resolution/frame rate. If that makes me a fool, then so be it.  :P

I'm hoping for a much bigger selection of classics than what was available on the PS3. While a lot of the bigger games were added, many more were missing. I missed out on a lot of fantastic games from that generation, and I no longer own a PS2. I'd love to be able to experience them without shelling out a fortune on ebay for an old PS2 and games. I for one would kill to be able to play Valkyrie Profile 2 on PS4.  :D

Also I've noticed that there hasn't been any talk of PS1 emulation, what's up with that? It would be very odd if they added PS2 emulation but not PS1 emulation. I hope they at least mention it as something they're working on.

• Like 1

It would probably have been harder to convert PS2 classics running on PS3 to PS4 owing to the PS3's cell processor, which was a complicated and unique arcitecture. 

Are you sure the PS4 can't run CDs? I'm sure I heard my wife playing music through it.

Yeah, I popped in a music CD, it said "Unsupported Disc" and I tried to play it anyways, it said it won't play it. Maybe it can play them with that Media Player app, I don't have it, but I do know Media Player can play MP3s and such, which is probably where the music came from (or Spotify).

And with that new announcement, I guess we all know what to do now, just buy them (again). I guess it's not so bad if they go on sale. I'm not going to be re-buying them at full price. Shame the PS2 Classics will not be upgraded, but that was expected..

I just saw this on the us playstation blog. I didn't see a post about it, but I didn't feel like making a new topic.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/12/04/fan-favorite-ps2-games-launching-on-ps4-tomorrow/

tomorrow :o  , i think its time to go to bed !  OMG i was not expecting so early releases !  And GTA vice city is awesome news too :) .

No joke i will buy Dark cloud tomorrow. I love this game so much.  Hope Trophies are not to get all weapons *scared*.