PS2 Emulation news, A lot of games confirmed! (Dark Cloud, GTA)

MarsipanRumpan

Sorry, but you bought old PS2 versions. You get exactly what you paid for, and no more freebies afterwards. These are upscaled to 1080p, with added trophy support, enabled to work on an entirely different console. They put effort into it; they need to be paid for it. 

So when they put zero effort into the PS3 versions and we gave them money then, they didn't deserve it?

If I buy Resogun on PS3 I get the original un-updated version, and it's all fine. Then, I also get the PS4 version with updates and everything included for free. They are listed as two separate downloads on the store. It is clearly not impossible to have the purchase of one item unlock the ability to get another one. They don't HAVE to be nice, but by not being nice, they're being assholes.

And you're defending them being assholes.

Whether they are in the right or not, is irrelevant ... If an old lady in a wheelchair wants to go up the ramp and I'm walking on it, I don't HAVE to move to the side even slightly so she can get through, I don't HAVE to do anything, but by CHOOSING to not have common courtesy, whether I'm in the right or not, is an absolute dick move.

I am disappointed that it won't be PS2 disc emulation but they have trophy support now, so I guess not all that bad but I do hope they have Platinum trophies. The games that I want the most to have trophy support is basically my top 6 PS2 games:

1. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
  2. Star Wars Battlefront 2
  3. Godzilla save the earth
  4. Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3
  5. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
  6. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

20150920_140917_zpsw1drwkaz.jpg

The only game on the list I've seen so far that I'd touch is Rogue Galaxy. $15 is a steal considering I never owned it in the first place.

It will never happen as I believe Konami is in charge of all these games...but I would be ecstatic if they could add,

DDR Max

DDR Max 2

DDR Extreme

These games were great for the ps2 and the ps3 had a very weak entry and as far as I know the series is pretty dead console-wise.

Would also love to see,

Bujingai The Forsaken City 

Onimusha (series) 

Black (one of the better FPS games I've played)

Need For Speed Underground 2

Musashi: Samurai Legend

Samurai Warriors 1 and 2 

Dynasty Warriors (all of them :devil: )

And plenty others. 

I never realized how many games I played that were actually borrowed. And I'd rather spend $60 on a 4 upgraded games than on 1 new game given the PS4's selection as of this time. The games I listed aren't at all likely to become part of this project anyways lol.

Just because you mentioned Onimusha

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/capcom-has-filed-a-new-trademark-for-onimusha-in-japan

A new title would be great but I generally don't hold my breath for anything new to come along.

I enjoyed the older games so I wouldn't mind playing them again. I suppose I'm a bit different because I've a horrible memory. I can remember enjoying or not enjoying a game, but I can't remember specifics. And as I stated I never realized how many games I played were actually just passed around my neighborhood for everyone to play lmfao.

So when they put zero effort into the PS3 versions and we gave them money then, they didn't deserve it?

If I buy Resogun on PS3 I get the original un-updated version, and it's all fine. Then, I also get the PS4 version with updates and everything included for free. They are listed as two separate downloads on the store. It is clearly not impossible to have the purchase of one item unlock the ability to get another one. They don't HAVE to be nice, but by not being nice, they're being assholes.

And you're defending them being assholes.

Whether they are in the right or not, is irrelevant ... If an old lady in a wheelchair wants to go up the ramp and I'm walking on it, I don't HAVE to move to the side even slightly so she can get through, I don't HAVE to do anything, but by CHOOSING to not have common courtesy, whether I'm in the right or not, is an absolute dick move.

They put them on the PS3 for those who didn't own the PS2 versions. That's just making a game available in a different store. Nothing more, nothing less. You want it on a new system? You buy it again. Again, my DVDs didn't magically become Blu-Rays when those came out. These are businesses; not philanthropists. If you don't want to buy it, don't do it. They make it available for people like me who no longer have the PS2 versions, or for those who enjoy paying for trophy support.

Not being nice doesn't mean you're an asshole. It means you're neutral, or rather, a business.

Edited by Paige-ID
  • Like 3

What Im going to love the most about buying and replaying these classic games is that I get the entire game i pay for. No dlc, season pass,  microtransactions,  social media integration or grindy online trophies. Just fun games in full like it used to be. Im ready.

• Like 2

Sorry, but you bought old PS2 versions. You get exactly what you paid for, and no more freebies afterwards. These are upscaled to 1080p, with added trophy support, enabled to work on an entirely different console. They put effort into it; they need to be paid for it. 

It would be shitty if you no longer get to play your old versions on your ps3, but you do. You want the newest version? You have to pay for it. I still have VHS tapes of the Lion King, but I highly doubt that I'm entitled to the new Blu-Ray version simply because I bought their older similar product. If you buy a 2015 vehicle you don't get the 2016 one for free. It sucks, but this is simply how it works in business, and I am fine with it.

It's more of a show of good faith to people who have supported them from the beginning. Xbox are going above and beyond with what they're doing allowing people a free download of 360 games they already own. Again, I've said I don't expect them to allow discs to work but I can't excuse this.

They put them on the PS3 for those who didn't own the PS2 versions. That's just making a game available in a different store. Nothing more, nothing less. You want it on a new system? You buy it again. Again, my DVDs didn't magically become Blu-Rays when those came out. These are businesses; not philanthropists. If you don't want to buy it, don't do it. They make it available for people like me who no longer have the PS2 versions, or for those who enjoy paying for trophy support.

Not being nice doesn't mean you're an asshole. It means you're neutral, or rather, a business.

I tried to write a thing to this but every time I did, I kept kind of circling around.

Both sides have points really and both sides' points seem to counteract the other sides'.

On one hand, they need not give away something just because you bought it before.

But on the other hand, it would take little to no effort to do that, and the people who have the older versions aren't as likely to spend money on this anyway.

I'm really bummed because 3 of the few games they've announced I've already bought countless times, but if I come at this from a clearheaded perspective and try to not have an obvious bias, I'd still lean toward my original point.

They don't have to do anything, but it wouldn't hurt them to do it either and they'd be looked on a lot more favorably for it. 

You're right man, but so am I. They can do whatever they want in the end, and they don't have to go around making people happy or being a charity, I get that, but the goodwill they'd get by doing something so easy and inconsequential to themselves, would seem to be worth a lot more than 15 bucks. 

It's just a dick move though, that they (presumably) have a working PS2 emulator that upscales and trophies and everything's...but that they're locking it off. I mean, let's say they let PS2 discs work right, if you could play your old games, but have no trophies or anything (remember the PS+ trial things they did with an hour of play time for certain games? You could get trophies in them but they wouldn't register to your account unless you bought the game) like that, that seems doable and in the process they'd get a shit load of love.

Obviously, people would buy a lot of preowned games then and Sony would lose out, and I know this way leads to more money, but at the end of the day, the people who buy these games would have bought them anyway, and the people who didn't never would have either.

They had the option to do something everyone would have loved, that (presumably, again) wouldn't have taken much effort on their part, and they chose not to. That's kind of dickish, isn't it? They don't have to give a shit about anything but the money at the end of the day, but let me put it this way, back in 2013, I swore off Xbox completely they dicked people over that much, if I'd have been given an Xbox One I'd have returned it out of spite. I was that adamantly against them, and now, 2 years later, Xbox has managed to look like the nicer, better place to play games, and I can honestly say, if I wasn't so deeply invested into the PSN ecosystem, and I was just buying my first console tomorrow, I'd buy an Xbox One.

You can have a massive lead in consoles sold, you can dominate all the markets you want, but if you let it go to your head, eventually people will wise up. Let us not forget, Sony, that your arrogance is a major part of why you failed last gen.

• Like 1

Love that PS2 games are being re-released for PS4, especially with trophy support that's fantastic! But they do seem too expensive. Got the 360 port of GTA San Andreas for a quid ($1.5) but the PS4 version is 10 times that price? 10 times? WTF? Would be nice if they did a discount on them like straight away, either for 20th anniversary sale or xmas sale.

Also disappointing that they're doing it this way rather than disc based. Makes it very unlikely I'm going to be able to play the games I really wanted to again :(

So when are we gonna see these trophy lists pop up on the site? The OP said the games will release today

The games are not in the store yet so im pretty sure trophy lists pop when they update the store. Saturday release is very rare so it is hard to find out the timing for the update.

Edit: maybe after official announcement on PSX in few hours :)

Edited by Xionx

I can't believe they didn't include one of the most influential and popular titles you could play on the PS2 in their opening lineup:

47980-dog-s-life-playstation-2-front-cov

Honestly though, I think I would only pay for the Dynasty Warriors games if they got released, but this is a cool idea. I'm sure there's others that I'd be excited for but I pretty much own the only games I want already.

• Like 3