Missable Trophies Guide (Community Effort)

MMDE

You have to rent a stable at the chocobo ranch, then catch a chocobo, and if you want to win easily you should feed him some Sylkis green (that you can buy at the Chocobo sage) 

The first race are almost unmissable. And if you want to 100% the game, you should breed chocobo to obtain a gold one, and you'll have to win many races (+-40 races in total).

BTW, just got the plat :).16 hours of playtime (and yes, i used both cheats...), i guess i could have been faster if i had planned something xD.

Yeah but it doesn't mention if you can go on the second time around.

Say what? It says to not worry and that you can get it from all sorts of things, it's not missable.

I am passed the Dyne\prison arc, is it still possible to race a chocobo? I guess I need to catch one then race it? Is it difficult to win with a starter chocobo?

Yes, it says so in the opening post...

1. Chocochampion
    1. It seems this trophy is a bit glitchy or the exact requirements to unlock it is at the very least unknown. People have got it from winning the race from escaping Corel prison, and others have got it from winning races while breeding their chocobo later in the game. One person even reported to unlock it when they lost at a chocobo race bet. If it doesn't pop for you when escaping from Corel prison, don't be too worried. You can play a lot of chocobo races later in the game, and you may be doing that to breed a gold chocobo. The requirement might be that you need to wait and let the other chocobos finish the race, and not skip this portion of the race. If the trophy doesn't pop, just keep racing, try to do it with different controls auto/manual, don't use cheats. You may even want to try to bet on some chocobo races. The trophy is likely to pop eventually. You may also want to keep an extra save from Corel prison, and try that over and over if it doesn't unlock, but I'd suggest trying to at least get it while going for gold chocobo later in the game. Just to be clear, you can get a gold chocobo without breeding.

2. You don't need to go through the entire breeding process to get a gold chocobo. For more info on breeding chocobos, see THIS guide. To get a gold chocobo without breeding, see THIS video. You can also get one from the Kalm Traveler after beating the optional side boss Ruby Weapon on disc 3, which is required for a trophy, by trading an item you get from the boss with him.

Neither is it listed as missable, therefore, you can always get it later in the game no matter how far you've gotten.

Edited by MMDE

Has anyone gotten the Platinum yet without using cheats?

I don't know, probably. It's not particularly hard or that long or anything like that. I can however totally see people speed up a little when doing some sort of a grind. I'm betting the game can be platted without cheats in 10 hours, but that must be by someone who has speedrun the game before.

Edited by MMDE

Now I just need someone to test if they can still get the Bahamut ZERO materia on disc 3 from Bone Village, even if they got all 4 huge materia and missed both (preferably) of Bamahut and Neo Bahamut materia. I know you can get it from there if you failed the huge materia quests, but can you get it if you didn't fail any of them, but missed a Bahamut materia. ;)

I tested this the last days (had it on my to-do list for years but was too lazy all the time...). Result: Bahamutype-0 actually is missable! If you missed Bahamut and / or Neo Bahamut and collected the blue huge materia then you can't dig out Bahamut Zero in Bone Village.

Test was done under the following circumstances:

- missed Neo Bahamut

- collected blue huge materia

- started digging in part 3 (after returning from Midgar)

.- total tries: about 230 - 250. Given the fact that the average amount of tries is 25, that should be more than enough to count as proof. And yes, I know where to dig (same spot as megaelixir).

Note that I also tested the case when both has been missed (Neo Bahamut and blue huge materia). Here I was able to dig out Bahamut Zero! It even only took me 8 tries! On a second attempt it took only 16 tries. So both times far below average.

In conclusion that also means that if you actually failed to get one of the first two Bahamuts, then you should miss the blue huge materia on purpose! Because missing it unlocks Bahamut Zero in Bone Village.

Oh and because this has been discussed on previous sites: there are no issues with random variables in Bone Village (neither on PS4 nor on PS1). If you know where to dig and when to begin, it shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes (with 3x speed). I never had any problems with this; I think the most tries I needed was ~50 - 60 back then on PS1.

I tested this the last days (had it on my to-do list for years but was too lazy all the time...). Result: Bahamutype-0 actually is missable! If you missed Bahamut and / or Neo Bahamut and collected the blue huge materia then you can't dig out Bahamut Zero in Bone Village.

Test was done under the following circumstances:

- missed Neo Bahamut

- collected blue huge materia

- started digging in part 3 (after returning from Midgar)

.- total tries: about 230 - 250. Given the fact that the average amount of tries is 25, that should be more than enough to count as proof. And yes, I know where to dig (same spot as megaelixir).

Note that I also tested the case when both has been missed (Neo Bahamut and blue huge materia). Here I was able to dig out Bahamut Zero! It even only took me 8 tries! On a second attempt it took only 16 tries. So both times far below average.

In conclusion that also means that if you actually failed to get one of the first two Bahamuts, then you should miss the blue huge materia on purpose! Because missing it unlocks Bahamut Zero in Bone Village.

Oh and because this has been discussed on previous sites: there are no issues with random variables in Bone Village (neither on PS4 nor on PS1). If you know where to dig and when to begin, it shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes (with 3x speed). I never had any problems with this; I think the most tries I needed was ~50 - 60 back then on PS1.

Thanks for testing! Then I will put it as missable! Will write a guide for it very shortly when I got the time for it! lol But I know approximately what it's going to say there.

I had already written most of it already, so it's done now I think! lol

Edited by MMDE

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Just finished my speed run, here's a tip for people looking to save some grind time.

Instead of prepping for absolute all out war with the weapons, Just use Cait Sith's face slot combo for insta-kill (make sure your config is set to wait so he doesn't just keep hitting you while your trying to manipulate the slots). It is incredibly easy to time now using the god mode cheat for insta limit breaks....and square flash/stutter trick, it still passes your good rolls on the 3rd piece sometimes, but I either got lucky or just hit the sweet spot and managed to do it twice in a row on playthrough which got me both Emerald and Ruby really fast and easy. I then re-loaded the save and did it 5 more times on demand, 3 of which were in a row (so there's definitely something to it, not as much luck dependent as the old ps version). Also, rather than grinding for all summons to be mastered just take the items you get from the weapons to the Kalm traveler and get your self the gold choco, and all master materias. Saves you many hours of grind.

Edited by Asmund89