So this game has an easy mode.

Ruliya

I've played it for a few hours now. With a button tap it has a few aids you can toggle on and off.

The first is technically auto-run. No longer do you need to press a button. Just hold the direction full tilt. Slowly, to walk.

Press L3 and you have 3x speed. Not too bad I guess, traverse the world map faster or whatever.

Press L3 and R3 and bam, no more random encounters. Fuck leveling up, speed run it or some shit.

But by far, the worst is R3, what they call a Battle Boost. Gives you an instant Limit Break for every character and then one every other turn. If that wasn't OP enough, every turn regain all HP and mp...

Basically bullshit cheat. I checked, toggling this shit on and or off does not disable trophies... Wtf man...

Game over, plat should be easy as fuck.

Unless 'cheat mode' gets less the higher level you Get, I dunno, will have to get back to you on that.

How much easier does this make it though?

Like, let's say you're me, the only Final Fantasy game you've played for more than an hour or two was Dissidia, and even that you only had to piss off a friend, and you don't want to spend forever in this game and have no experience with it, but everyone thinks it's hot shit and you want to at least give it a shot, how hard would it be for me to get to the end of this game without getting bored or anything?

Also, speaking of having no experience with the series, is this list hard or easy, I've got no idea what's required?

How much easier does this make it though?

Like, let's say you're me, the only Final Fantasy game you've played for more than an hour or two was Dissidia, and even that you only had to piss off a friend, and you don't want to spend forever in this game and have no experience with it, but everyone thinks it's hot shit and you want to at least give it a shot, how hard would it be for me to get to the end of this game without getting bored or anything?

Also, speaking of having no experience with the series, is this list hard or easy, I've got no idea what's required?

From what I remember it's one of the most straight forward RPGs I played in high school.  If you just follow crit path you'll get through it fine somewhere around level 40 and it could take you less than 20 hours.  If you explore and level up and master all materia it'll easily take 60+ hours (my main PS1 run took just under 100 hours to do everything, but I went nuts with it, even bred 7 gold chocobos).  But the thing is, if you don't like FF games, and/or you don't like RPGs, then this game won't appeal to you anyway.  No sense forcing your way through it.

Also, this was the first FF game I took the time to finish, and I did way more than that.  I loved it.  So you never know, if you take the time you too might find you love it.

Edited by Matto_lsi
  • Like 1

From what I remember it's one of the most straight forward RPGs I played in high school.  If you just follow crit path you'll get through it fine somewhere around level 40 and it could take you less than 20 hours.  If you explore and level up and master all materia it'll easily take 60+ hours (my main PS1 run took just under 100 hours to do everything, but I went nuts with it, even bred 7 gold chocobos).  But the thing is, if you don't like FF games, and/or you don't like RPGs, then this game won't appeal to you anyway.  No sense forcing your way through it.

Also, this was the first FF game I took the time to finish, and I did way more than that.  I loved it.  So you never know, if you take the time you too might find you love it.

Thanks man, pretty well answered every question I could have asked. I'll still probably pick it up on sale some time since I never got around to doing that when I said I would for the PS1 classics version. Actually, knowing me I'll probably be better off waiting for the HD remake anyways at this point. Oh well, I'll see what happens, thanks either way buddy.

They're probably not going to patch it out. It's there for people who want to use it, and these are in the PC port as well.

I played the PC port and don't remember them. Oh well, I won't be using these aids either way.

My bad, I didn't see that one.

I don't get why a very small minority are upset about optional choices you don't get an award for saying you've beat it legit or not there is no online leaderboard no money ect it's just for fun the game is 18 year's old them adding it in increased sales people who hated the grind will hop on and those who love it can continue like nothing happened.

Turning off random encounters is a welcome feature and I don't have a problem with being able to run faster. It just makes the game less grindy at times. And we all know how good older Japanese games are at wasting peoples' time. Sometimes I just want to get somewhere without getting interrupted every 5 seconds. You won't get far without leveling up properly anyway, so this just gives you an option to decide when and where you want to fight/level up.

They should've disabled at least some trophies for Battle Boost mode though.

For those of you that don't know, FF7 is considered one of the easier classic Final Fantasies. I'm not sure I know what square was thinking when they decided to put this in. What they needed was a hard-mode, with trophies related to the hard-mode. Oh well, missed opportunity I guess.

They want to sell as much as they can, i think it's a business decision, not from a game designer.

Some old gamers maybe don't want to have trouble while playing, just play the game to REVIVE/REPLAY the story(nostalgic feelings). So they implemented a way to sell to these ppl too.

that's my opinion.

When I get around to playing this game, I will only use the speed cheat for cases like climbing a rope/ladder that takes ages. Or when grinding.

It's a nice edition for people who want to just rush through it, but im not gonna be one of those people.

It will be very clear on who has used the cheats with their completion time. Doesn't impact my gaming though. If you're someone who wants to just rush through it, then thats your way of doing it.

Me personally, I'm gonna savor this game to ease my need for that remake.

I honestly don't understand why people wanna finish games as soon as possible, if I pay good money for a game I want to spend as much time as I can with it.

I agree entirely. Which is why I like the PS trophy system. It gives me a reason to play a game to death even if I've already beaten it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A friend of mine told me they were going to publish this game for the PS4 with a trophy list. But i was really astounded they added the 'cheat' options. This takes away most of the strategy you otherwise need for this game, like setting up materia combo's, and who is the healer, who will attack, who will defend... + the godmode option (read: cheat) makes all of the magic materia redundant, since you can spam limit break after limit break.

I have played this game ALOT on the PSX (this was actually my first game ever, and because of this game i became a real playstation fan), played through it 4-5 times and got faster everytime, from 75 hours to only half 35-40 hours (breeding a gold, beating the weapons and completing the game). I bought it just to relive those moments one more time.