Possible big blow to FF7 Remake might be episodic.

Daniel_Shadow170

Meh, so what. The original presentation of Final Fantasy VII has been ported to the PS4, Square can burn this one to the waterline and it wouldn't bother me none.

Also, it's not like Final Fantasy VII wasn't episodic in the first place. The game was split across multiple discs, and if you lost one or it got scratched, you were straight up fucked if you wanted to finish. So that's sort of like not having enough cash to buy the next episode.

Edited by damon8r351

It's not that big a deal and it's not like they haven't done episodic rpgs before.

I think the thousand's who got the news including the big sites being disappointed would disagree this was supposed to be THE game to bring rpg's back i don't know how one company can screw-up such simple things does common sense just not exist for these companies. Also being episodic would make that digital only until the full version which is even more bs.

If we're talking 5 hour chunks at a time, thats a massive disappointment. If its something like FFVII, FFVII-2, FFVII-3, then im fine with that. Its weird that they chose to do that, maybe its so the game is out in a more timely manner. 

That's actually quite upsetting news

I don't understand how they're going to be able to make such a huge RPG have any real sort of heft if it's going to be episodic

If the episodes are like 10-20 hours each it'll work

Anything less than 10 hours to an episode and I can see a lot of people just skipping it

Damn Square Enix, you were doing something right.... for once

I think the thousand's who got the news including the big sites being disappointed would disagree this was supposed to be THE game to bring rpg's back i don't know how one company can screw-up such simple things does common sense just not exist for these companies. Also being episodic would make that digital only until the full version which is even more bs.

There has been plenty of great RPG released last generation and this generation so rpg never when anywhere. Like I said SE has made episodic rpgs before and that was before the big episodic boom that has happened in the last few years. I think episodes would work well with a FF game since most of them have had chapter/episode breaks since FF6.

Edited by soultaker655

I don't care how they're changing it, the fact is they're changing it.  My opinion may not be shared with the current masses, but those, including myself, who've been asking for an FF VII remake for the past 20 years only wanted the same game with up-ressed textures and re-vamped menus.  I was already on the fence about voice-over and the battle system changes, but now I'm losing interest fast.  I don't care if some people think it makes it better, it's not what myself and many others wanted.  In reality they could have only up-ressed textures and sold it for $60 and easily outsold the originals 10 million PS1 copies (that doesn't include PS1 classics on PS3 or the PC port) on PS4.  Say what you want about it, but I figured they'd fuck this up one way or another, and to me, it looks like they're gonna do just that.

• Like 2

There has been plenty of great RPG released last generation and this generation so rpg never when anywhere. Like I said SE has made episodic rpgs before and that was before the big episodic boom that has happened in the last few years. I think episodes would work well with a FF game since most of them have had chapter/episode breaks since FF6.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/12/06/final-fantasy-7-remake-episodic-ff7-ps4/#/slide/1 That sums up what everyone is saying and what i'm hearing from other sites it's a shame square already shot themselves i will put them on konami level if they fuck up same with capcom if they screw up RE2REmake.

Meh, so what. The original presentation of Final Fantasy VII has been ported to the PS4, Square can burn this one to the waterline and it wouldn't bother me none.

Sure... I'm just going to watch Square Enix take another dump at FF7, while I enjoy the original game.

Also, it's not like Final Fantasy VII wasn't episodic in the first place. The game was split across multiple discs, and if you lost one or it got scratched, you were straight up fucked if you wanted to finish. So that's sort of like not having enough cash to buy the next episode.

This I really can't agree with. If you had your game scratched for any game, you couldn't finish it. Multiple discs didn't make it any more episodic.

I can totally see FF7 being episodic though. It's basically a new "episode" for each town you go to, or big quest you do etc. Most of the time, you go to a new town and you get sort of a new story.

If it's just multiple discs or "data files" because the game is too large, and they're all "released" at the same time at retail value, I don't see the problem.  Not only would that be akin to the original... but the game would have to be insanely large to require that.  Which certainly has me intrigued.

Guess we'll have to see what Squenix has to say about it.

Edited by FrecLognAizeW

If it's just multiple discs or "data files" because the game is too large, and they're all "released" at the same time for one price, I don't see the problem.  Not only would that be akin to the original... but the game would have to be insanely large to require that.  Which certainly has me intrigued.

Guess we'll have to see what Squenix has to say about it.

that would be fine however here's the quote

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE will be told across a multi-part series, with each entry providing its own unique experience. That sounds like some telltale bullshit