Fantetti

Any truck setup tips for time trials?

25 posts in this topic

No matter how hard I try these time trials seem like they're ten times worse than the races or the elimination races. I have a fully maxed out truck and it doesn't matter it just slides everywhere you hit one wall it throws you into another wall and then back into that first wall in my opinion the game is very very poorly made and I honestly wish I never started it but because it's on my list I feel obligated to complete it. Can anyone give any recommendations as far as what truck they used because the 1 I'm using even fully maxed doesn't seem to make a damn bit of difference the game is still a piece of fucking shit. The one I'm using is the last one on the truck selection options.

One thing I noticed that makes absolutely zero sense to me but supports the fact that this game is a big piece of shit is that on a dirt track my maxed out asphalt tires help the truck drive a hundred times better and on asphalt tracks if I use my rally tires that are supposed to be specifically for dirt tracks with a lot of bouncy Parts the truck handles 100% better as well so it's as if the game was coded wrong and the tires are on the listing incorrectly that when I'm picking dirt tires the game things I'm picking asphalt tires and when I'm picking asphalt tires it thinks I'm picking dirt tires there is no reason why dirt tires should make me a hundred times better on an asphalt track my asphalt tires make me a hundred times better on a dirt track. So I guess I'm just curious what truck everybody is using so and what modifications you used to beat this poorly made game.

Edited by Fantetti
3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was this a hard plat?

50% completion suggests it's not, but on another post (hardest platinum trophies) someone says it's really hard.. Were they troll posting, or is it actually difficult?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the time trials being a lot harder than the races but I reckon they're still manageable if you take it easy going round bends etc.  Irritating, reminded me of Riptide GP2 but persistent will pay off.  :P

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trucks that are designated for asphalt can be switched around to dirt trucks and vice versa.  Try doing this for time trials and see how it goes.  The dirt trucks bounced around too much so I ended up making a default asphalt truck into a dirt trucks and did ok in the time trials.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The time trials can be annoying. Some have a short cut through the rough sand that slows you down, that helped me a lot.

I used the 5th car with a dirt build pretty much through out the game. And used the 6th car with an asphalt build for the dirt time trials I didn't pass on my first try. I also used the boost mainly for right after the exit of a tight corner with a longer stretch ahead. Even a 0.2 second boost can help at the exit of a corner though.

The bouncing of the dirt build really gets in the way on a dirt track, and the traction of a dirt build on asphalt also seems better.

Edited by de_digibeet
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7 September 2017 at 5:07 PM, de_digibeet said:

The time trials can be annoying. Some have a short cut through the rough sand that slows you down, that helped me a lot.

I used the 5th car with a dirt build pretty much through out the game. And used the 6th car with an asphalt build for the dirt time trials I didn't pass on my first try. I also used the boost mainly for right after the exit of a tight corner with a longer stretch ahead. Even a 0.2 second boost can help at the exit of a corner though.

The bouncing of the dirt build really gets in the way on a dirt track, and the traction of a dirt build on asphalt also seems better.

Thanks man. This actually helps. 

 

On 7 December 2015 at 3:20 AM, Fantetti said:

No matter how hard I try these time trials seem like they're ten times worse than the races or the elimination races. I have a fully maxed out truck and it doesn't matter it just slides everywhere you hit one wall it throws you into another wall and then back into that first wall in my opinion the game is very very poorly made and I honestly wish I never started it but because it's on my list I feel obligated to complete it. Can anyone give any recommendations as far as what truck they used because the 1 I'm using even fully maxed doesn't seem to make a damn bit of difference the game is still a piece of fucking shit. The one I'm using is the last one on the truck selection options.

One thing I noticed that makes absolutely zero sense to me but supports the fact that this game is a big piece of shit is that on a dirt track my maxed out asphalt tires help the truck drive a hundred times better and on asphalt tracks if I use my rally tires that are supposed to be specifically for dirt tracks with a lot of bouncy Parts the truck handles 100% better as well so it's as if the game was coded wrong and the tires are on the listing incorrectly that when I'm picking dirt tires the game things I'm picking asphalt tires and when I'm picking asphalt tires it thinks I'm picking dirt tires there is no reason why dirt tires should make me a hundred times better on an asphalt track my asphalt tires make me a hundred times better on a dirt track. So I guess I'm just curious what truck everybody is using so and what modifications you used to beat this poorly made game.

The trials are frustrating.

Edited by Brettyboy888
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I obtained the platinum yesterday and I enjoyed the game. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, these time trials, really, why doing all the game very easy and do the time trial muych harder, this is a bad way to do a game,

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I so far (just clear/plat event 11) only found the 2 time trails on "Westen Trophy" hard.. Said that I maxed out the very last truck (Baere S230) and beat both in 2 tries.. So my suggestion is just to buy this truck and max it out, it should make things more manageable..

 

Said that, the races are a joke, I was able to beat an Expert difficulty race with the Baere S230 truck without any upgrade with tons of time to spare.. (ya, the trophy doesn't require us to win...)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, they're way more tough than what they're worth.

 

But maxing out the speed meter on the truck certainly helps a ton

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in the middle of carrier mode and some time trials are in fact quite frustrating however I want to mention just one. 2nd time trial of Weston Trophy tournament gave me really hard time, spent nearly an hour on that one. 

Perhaps it will save anybody trouble while doing it so let me tell you this: don't approach that last turn just before finish line, instead cut it through sand. It shaved around 3 seconds of my result. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there as a few i was having a hard time with using the last truck, so i used the 2nd truck fully upgraded and beat most of the trials that i couldnt

heres some tips i noticed, the first lap doesnt mean shyt except towards the finish line. your going to want to boost right before the finish line so that you start your second lap going fast. youll usually set the record on the 2nd lap but if not then repeat the same process is hitting turbo before the finish line to go into the next lap at full speed.

i also found another technique that worked on the last 2 races i couldnt get, i ignored the first lap because you rarely get time on that, saved up my turbo on the second lap so that it was totally filled for the 3rd lap. at the end of the 2nd lap with full turbo i blasted into the 3rd lap and had spare turbo to use depending how much straight away you have etc.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just earned plat. Personally, I've used the last truck with best things bought. It almost had maxed "asphalt" style and I only did change the tyres between races a couple times - dirt ones to help me in time attack, asphalt tracks. Used turbo whenever there was a longer straight line, as it does more harm when you use it all the time (you'll crash the truck). Pedal to the metal on easy corners, pulse breaking, accelerating and drifting during medium and breaking quite hard and in advance while taking hard ones, as it's better than crashing into barriers. For whatever reason crashing into anything in this game is very awkward and frustrating. Your truck will "stick" into enemies and barriers, which will almost certainly make you waste too much time. What I did during tough corners and/or chicanes is to turn a little bit earlier than my mind would tell me to :) You will get the momentum which is essential as the truck is quite stiff. Good luck fellow truckers :)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the time trials in the last 2 events, I used the 6th truck (can't recall its name just now) with near-fully upgraded stats.  Don't worry too much about maxing out your resistance, as you want to avoid collisions wherever possible, for obvious reasons.  Every time you approach a tight turn or lengthy curve, try to drift into it using your handbrake, so you can slide right around it and also build up your Nitro.  Use your Nitro on any long straightaways you find, and also make sure you have it more or less full when you reach the "lap" line, so that you can blast across it and shave several seconds off your previous lap time.  Don't worry about doing too well on your first lap - as medolicmizery pointed out, the first lap really just serves to familiarise yourself with the track and to build up your Nitro for starting the 2nd lap at top speed.

 

Try to cut corners and utilise shortcuts wherever possible, as this can also save you a couple of precious seconds.

 

For the earlier trials, and indeed every other race in the game, I used the 2nd truck (the white/green one) with maxed stats - the races and eliminations were easy with this truck.  Didn't even need to use Nitro for most races.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys who don't like this game suck. It's freaking awesome. Reminds me so much of racing semi trucks on MSPR. The handling is fine. They handle just like big ass diesel trucks would if you were to race them...shitty. It's awesome!

 

Use Baer (last truck) with optimal everything. I think I got all stats to max except for brake (just 1 shy of max), and durability  (being like 5 or 6 shy of max). I have been able to win every race on the first try so far. Only a few time trials have given me some grief, but nothing too bad.

 

Lots of fun. Game gets a bad wrap for no reason. Glad it was on ps+ igc.

Edited by Phil
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Phil said:

You guys who don't like this game suck. It's freaking awesome. Reminds me so much of racing semi trucks on MSPR. The handling is fine. They handle just like big ass diesel trucks would if you were to race them...shitty. It's awesome!

 

Use Baer (last truck) with optimal everything. I think I got all stats to max except for brake (just 1 shy of max), and durability  (being like 5 or 6 shy of max). I have been able to win every race on the first try so far. Only a few time trials have given me some grief, but nothing too bad.

 

Lots of fun. Game gets a bad wrap for no reason. Glad it was on ps+ igc.

 

I don't know if you're being facetious, but I actually enjoy this game, too. The time trials are annoying, but the races are hilarious.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

 

I don't know if you're being facetious, but I actually enjoy this game, too. The time trials are annoying, but the races are hilarious.

 

No sir. I dig it.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that I plat this game, I can probably give a little advice. I bought the last truck asap. I pimped it out as much as I could as fast as I could. Since its an asphalt truck, and most of the hard time trial courses are dirt, and also, I hated switching all the suspension shit on it when switching tracks, I also bought and pimped out the one before it. Since that truck is the best dirt build, once you have both trucks with optimal build, it's much faster to just swap between those trucks. 

 

This is easily a 3/10 difficulty plat. I would have given it a 2/10 if it wasn't for course 7's time attack. That one is the toughest in the game. Still really doable. 

 

Any case, the game is a blast. I really enjoyed it. The courses are fun. They seemed to really put a lot of work into the game for what it is. I would have even paid money for it if I knew about it before ps+. It was like a racing game with just the trucks from Motorstorm Pacific Rift. It's a lot of crazy fun. Highly recommended to those on the fence.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2015 at 9:20 PM, Fantetti said:

on a dirt track my maxed out asphalt tires help the truck drive a hundred times better

 

On 9/13/2017 at 3:25 PM, Kolm said:

Use the best asphalt/track tires!

 

Good advice. Made my life easier on those dirt time trials (particularly the one on the 7th championship race, a short dirt track that was the only one that took more than 3 tries for me). Later dirt tracks might have been harder, too, but this advice helped me knock them out in one try.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I'm struggling to believe that the CPUs set as fast times as they do considering how completely inept they are at actual racing to the point where you will regularly finish about 10 seconds ahead of them.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LunchCannon54 said:

Personally I'm struggling to believe that the CPUs set as fast times as they do considering how completely inept they are at actual racing to the point where you will regularly finish about 10 seconds ahead of them.

I thought exactly the same thing. I struggled with the dirt time trial in event 12. When I raced the ai on that track I lapped the whole field 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2017 at 10:07 PM, Phil said:

Now that I plat this game, I can probably give a little advice. I bought the last truck asap. I pimped it out as much as I could as fast as I could. Since its an asphalt truck, and most of the hard time trial courses are dirt, and also, I hated switching all the suspension shit on it when switching tracks, I also bought and pimped out the one before it. Since that truck is the best dirt build, once you have both trucks with optimal build, it's much faster to just swap between those trucks. 

 

This is easily a 3/10 difficulty plat. I would have given it a 2/10 if it wasn't for course 7's time attack. That one is the toughest in the game. Still really doable. 

 

Any case, the game is a blast. I really enjoyed it. The courses are fun. They seemed to really put a lot of work into the game for what it is. I would have even paid money for it if I knew about it before ps+. It was like a racing game with just the trucks from Motorstorm Pacific Rift. It's a lot of crazy fun. Highly recommended to those on the fence.

Wow, you're right. I switched to that truck for Event 7's time trial and it felt so much easier to control despite arguably having worse stats than the asphalt one I changed to a more dirt specialist (or attempted to, at least). 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.