Underrated or Obscure Games

Tristan1138

On 29/12/2016 at 9:22 AM, LunarCharm said:

Threads of Fate.  It's probably one of the most underrated JRPGs from the PS1 era.  

This so much. I hope that one day out of nowhere that it gets a nice little HD overhaul and ported to PS4 or whatever we have after. I doubt they'll just let us have a PS1 port. Just some nice modern textures and models while keeping the pleasant aesthetic of it all would be nice.

I would also like to say Crash Twinsanity, Samurai Warriors 4 and Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D are underrated and really good, despite the last one not having a data reset option. 

• Like 1

One of the few NES games I owned as a kid was the very obscure Spiritual Warfare. It was one of those unlicensed games. Interestingly, since the games were Christian-themed, Nintendo was afraid of the public backlash from pursuing legal action against them. 

http://www.encyclopedia-obscura.com/gamessw.html

It wasn't until recently when I read some reviews and looked at screenshots that I realized it was basically a Zelda clone. Interestingly, I've never finished any of the Zelda games (although I got very close with the first one), but I played the "heck" out of Spiritual Warfare as a kid, beating it at least once. 

Obscure? Very. Underrated? Doubtful. :)

More recently, I really enjoyed The Legend of Korra, which got mediocre reviews. I understand and agree with some of the criticism in the reviews I've read, but I still have to give props to Platinum for making a game that made me feel like a super-powerful Avatar.

One game That Is an bit Obscure Is actually Scarface: The World Is your.

The game have some original concept like buy drug/sell drug, interaction with NPC, Ganf and Coop bar that Influence your business Positive and Negative and Play one of the Greatest Gangster of All time. TONY MOTHERFUCKING MONTANA.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

World Of Goo. Console exclusive for the Wii and now coming to Switch, I feel like not enough people know about this little gem.

Magrunner: Dark Pulse - 100%ed this on the X360, great puzzle game.

Going by my own list:

Velocity 2X - wouldn't have known about this game if it had not been on PS+, very solid game and glad I tried it.

Octodad - semi-obscure, semi-underrated. Fun weird game, unlike anything else you'll play.

Hohokum - underrated, many people dismiss it as "not a real game" just because it's different.

Luftrausers - definitely underrated. People give it flack because it has two unobtainable trophies but one of those trophies would be practically impossible to get anyway because of the requirements. If you don't care for trophies that much, this is an awesome little game with great music.

Stealth Inc. - not nearly enough people have played this awesome and challenging game.

Echochrome - fun little puzzle game, especially for M.C. Escher fans

Q.U.B.E. - more people need to play this.

Kung Fu Rabbit - underrated, fun little game.

The Crew - underrated. Best racing game since Burnout Paradise, in my opinion.

Super Star Wars - while a big hit back in the day, I feel like not enough younger people know about this pinnacle of Star Wars gaming.

Day Of The Tentacle - not enough younger people know about this gem, and I've seen a few who sadly do not appreciate it.

The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter - underrated and semi-obscure. Great game.

Unravel - semi-obscure, more people need to play this gem.

No Man's Sky - underrated and it's the developer's own damn fault. The game itself is reasonably fun but I just can't see it separately from what the devs promised it would be.

The Swapper - over 125K people on this site have it but it still feels like an obscure game.

The Deadly Tower Of Monsters - underrated and obscure. It's been on PS+ yet still has less than 30K people who have tried it on here.

• 7 months later...
On 12/19/2016 at 2:09 PM, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

The only games I can think of that I've played as being obscure and probably underrated are ps2 games, Bujingai: The Forsaken City and Orphen: Scion of Sorcery.

I've seen like 2 other people here who mentioned this game so I guess it could be obscure, and that game is PS1's Monster Rancher. :dunno: 

The game I just remembered is so obscure that even my brain forgets its played it.

Image result

The two games that come to mind for me are Singularity and Alpha Protocol. I barely hear anyone talk about these games which is a shame since they are great.

Singularity is a first person shooter about the Soviet Union taking over the world. There's futuristic technology, time travel, and all that good stuff. It feels like a mix between BioShock and Wolfenstein: The New Order. Alpha Protocol is an RPG where you play as an undercover agent. You travel all over the world, completing missions and shooting bad guys. It feels like a more in-depth Mass Effect. I'm just going off memory with these descriptions, so they probably don't do the games justice, but I remember thinking how awesome they were many years ago.

Edited by Undead Wolf

8 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

The two games that come to mind for me are Singularity and Alpha Protocol. I barely hear anyone talk about these games which is a shame since they are great.

Singularity is a first person shooter about the Soviet Union taking over the world. There's futuristic technology, time travel, and all that good stuff. It feels like a mix between BioShock and Wolfenstein: The New Order. Alpha Protocol is an RPG where you play as an undercover agent. You travel all over the world, completing missions and shooting bad guys. It feels like a more in-depth Mass Effect. I'm just going off memory with these descriptions, so they probably don't do the games justice, but I remember thinking how awesome they were many years ago.

Singularity is the last game I played lol. Sat on my shelf for too long so I figured I'd finally knock out the SP trophies. Not a bad game, but it does feel dated. 

3 minutes ago, syumisan said:

Omg I loved this game ♡♡♡♡

I don't remember much other than never actually beating it. There was a spot where you had to do a weird sequence while jumping and I could never seem to complete it in the time the game wanted me to. :dunno: 

6 minutes ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Singularity is the last game I played lol. Sat on my shelf for too long so I figured I'd finally knock out the SP trophies. Not a bad game, but it does feel dated. 

That's a weird coincidence. :P Maybe it's one of those situations where I look back at the game with rose-tinted glasses on since it has been like 7 years since last I played it. Still, I think it deserved better than what it got.

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Undead Wolf said:

That's a weird coincidence. :P Maybe it's one of those situations where I look back at the game with rose-tinted glasses on since it has been like 7 years years since last I played it. Still, I think it deserved better than what it got.

I know Metro 2033 came out the same year, for Microsoft, and honestly if I had to choose between the 2 it would have been Metro. (comparing only due to the Russian theme)

Singularity just lacked a certain...oomph. I think the only reason I even found it was because I was looking up which games Nolan North had been in lmfao.

I would still recommend it to anyone asking for FPS games though. It's cheap now too and is definitely worth a playthrough. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2017 at 11:55 PM, DocVoltacon said:

One game That Is an bit Obscure Is actually Scarface: The World Is your.

The game have some original concept like buy drug/sell drug, interaction with NPC, Ganf and Coop bar that Influence your business Positive and Negative and Play one of the Greatest Gangster of All time. TONY MOTHERFUCKING MONTANA.

Agree, those missions where you need to travel to Columbian archipelago, buy cocaine and deliver it to the Miami where then sell it on the streets by your self for the first time and then by created corporation is very cool idea. Also nice OST, and list of exclusive vehicles to buy.

I could add Galerians 1 (PSone) to the list, it was very cool and unique survival horror.

Edited by Bloodytears1666

4 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

I don't remember much other than never actually beating it. There was a spot where you had to do a weird sequence while jumping and I could never seem to complete it in the time the game wanted me to. :dunno: 

It took me awhile to beat the game with the sequences your talking about. My favorite weapon was the tonfa's lol. Man I miss that game, would re-play it definitely  

• 3 years later...