What are your fav fighting games?

blazeaire

As a terrible fighting gamer noob (remembering inputs and circuler motions is so not my thing -_- ), for me currently they are..

SG.jpg

Best gameplay imo cuz of the easier specials, none of that double input nonsense but with two buttons makes it easier to pull off. Also the fact that you can fight 1v2 3v2 3v1 or whatever makes for great variety and I wish more fighting games would implement that  :D Artstyle is not really my taste tbh but gameplay>>> anyway lol

Guilt-Gear-Xrd-Image1.png

Best.art.style.ever. in a fighting game imo, seriously it looks like a freaking anime lol and still plenty fun, never got into GG before Sign but waay more fun then Blazblue I think.  Definitely getting Revelator next year especially since they added an easy mode for noobs like me  :D

And finally..

d7e0d308dd84898d509329053ef023db.png

Have to include this even though it's really a 'fighter' in a traditonal sense lol but yeah for casual players and especially for younger people this is probably the best game to get started since you can easily do specials and stuff with literally a push of a button and the many items and stages make it fun to ensure no 2 matches are ever the same 

As I said, I'm not a hardcore fighter at all so I rarely play online so single player content was also part of my choices lol which is probably why you see no Capcom games here :P (seriously though I really hope SFV has some good single player stuff for the noobs like me -_-  learn from NetherRealm studio plz  <_<  )

def_jam_fight_for_ny__ntsc_by_alamosh.jp

I played this game over and over on the GC when I was a kid. 

I enjoyed being able to learn up to 3 different fighting styles (if you wanted to) and the way the different styles blended together to create a unique fighter. For example, you could start with the Kickboxing discipline, then, later in the game, add the Wrestling discipline and, even later, add the Martial Arts discipline.

Basically, the disciplines you chose affected your characters moveset. So a kickboxer who later chose wrestling would have a different kick to a kickboxer who learned submissions or martial arts instead. The blending of styles was really well done and resulted in a character who felt totally unique each time you played.

High levels of character customisation and development were fun too. RPG elements were well implemented. Focussing on speed or strength or whatever had a real impact on your characters abilities in the ring. 

Being able to beat seven shades of living poo out of real life rappers was a bonus. The story mode was good fun IIRC. 

Edited by StrickenBiged
  • Like 3

Super-Smash-Bros-Brawl-Wii-microplay-2.j

Who doesn't love some smash? I haven't played the latest one, but so far, BRAWL and 64 are the best entries for me. 64 was so simple to pick up but it was a classic. Brawl, even without the inclusion of Project M., is a blast, and with it...damn!

umvc3-v_38952_640screen.jpg

This is a plain awesome game. Timings aren't really strict for pulling combos off, to the point I'd say the amount of skill needed to do basic combos is little to none compared to various other fighters.

While my biggest critique is the lack of counter methods if you get caught, this game just does everything else right. From all the "Arcade Fighters" I've played, this is the easiest to pick up and learn some decent skill, however it also maintains

the "difficult to master" part imo.

Untitled.jpg?cdnnode=1

What can I say about this game? Timings are more strict than the previous one, but the challenge mode does a great job in shaping you to learn its in and outs.

There are ways to counterattack and combos aren't as unforgiving compared to what you can achieve in UMVC3, plus, they require more skill to pull off. This game includes everything af the previous Arena and adds a ton more.

I'd recommend it to anyone, beginners or not.

Fighters_destiny_box.JPG

Plain old style fighting. Grabs, one hit kos, specials, etc. Reaction times and counters were the core of getting good as this isn't a game with many (if any) combos.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra
  • Like 2

If we're talking traditional fighters, i've been having a bunch of fun with BlazBlue for the rather short time that i've been playing it. Feels intuitive.

Injustice was alright i guess.

My most played fighter by far has got to be Smash though. I play Smash semi-casually, as in i only play with items turned off and on tournament legal stages but i usually end up going for really stupid shit. Melee is more fun to watch though.

• Like 1

Tekken-Tag-Tounament-2-Game.png

Tekken is my all time favourite fighting game series, and TTT2 is my personal favourite after putting well over 200+ hours into it and not once getting bored. There are so many different characters and most of them play quite differently to each other so even newcomers won't have trouble finding a character to try out and learn over time.

9.jpg

Blazblue is my favourite 2-D fighting game and while Chronophantasma was excellent, the Extend version is the complete package. The story is complicated but the characters are so endearing and the gag endings are pure brilliance (especially the ones from Continuum Shift Extend, the previous entry). There's even a stylish mode for newcomers or if you want to play with friends who aren't very good at fighting games.

Persona_4_Arena_Ultimax.png

This very nearly knocked Blazblue off the number 2 spot as I had so much fun with Ultimax. it's a very fun and enjoyable fighter, whether you're a Persona fan or not. There are more additional modes included than what was in the previous entry, including the highly addictive Golden Arena mode. As there is not really a proper stylish mode like in blazblue, it is a bit more difficult to learn for newcomers but it's worth playing anyway.

Street-Ultra-street-250x250.jpg

Easily one of the hardest fighters (at least for me!), especially if you don't have a fight stick. Combos can be very difficult to pull off with certain characters but the old school style of street fighter is still a hell of a lot of fun. While it's not as high on my list, it's still one I really enjoy playing.

• Like 1

I'm gonna go by each system I remember playing one on

Dreamcast - Soulcalibur

I played the Android version though, so I can't say I owned this on the DC really. Sweet Android port though, even when I'm not using my controller on it. I got it on sale though, think it was something ridiculous like 20 bucks on the Android shop, which would explain me waiting for a sale.

PlayStation - Tie between X-Men vs Street Fighter & Tekken 2

Tekken 2 lets you do a backflip kick as Law, but X-Men lets you use Cyclops' lazer eyes to kill Ryu.

PlayStation 2 - WWE Smackdown vs. Raw

Back when these games weren't yearly upgrades of eachother. Plus that soundtrack.

PlayStation 3 - PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Considering how much I like this, it's odd that I can't get into Smash.

PlayStation 4 - Injustice: Gods Among Us

What makes a well made fighting game better? Super heroes. What makes a well made fighting game with super heroes better? A next gen re-release with all the DLC included. What makes a well made fighting game with super heroes that got a next gen re-release with all the DLC included better? Putting it on PS+ last December for everyone to enjoy.

PlayStation Portable - Tekken: Dark Resurrection

Essentially Tekken 5: Special Edition. Runs like a dream on the portable, it was pretty damn cool nearly 10 years ago when I got it.

PlayStation Vita - Street Fighter x Tekken

Pac-Man gets to beat up Martial Law and Ryu. Why is there so many problems in the world when something so beautiful exists?

Nintendo 3DS - Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition

Picked it up for cheap and it turns out it's a REALLY faithful port, with surprisingly good 3D too.

Arcade - The Simpsons' Konami (remember when that was a good thing?) 1990 game.

I found this in an arcade in Box Hill in 2009 and stumbled into it again a few months ago at the same place. Poor guy's screen was shot, but I didn't care. I put in the coin and we picked Bart and Homer and a minute or two in Homer just broke and the guy ended up offering us another game on another machine but Simpsons was the only reason I was in there. I was actually wearing a Simpsons shirt at the time too. Last I saw, he unplugged it and pushed it to the back, quite possible that I'm the last person who'll ever play that machine, which is depressing as hell.

• Like 1

I've played nearly every fighting game there is.  I can more easily tell you my least favorites than my favorites.  There is just a lot of favorites for me.  If I had to choose, I guess I would go with Guilty Gear and Tekken series since they have been the ones I have played the longest.  SoulCalibur II is also a favorite, although the rest of that series is kind of average compared to it.

My absolute favourite fighting game of all time is probably Soulcalibur II. Although, i've stopped playing it in recent years i still find my way back to the game somehow.

There's also Guilty Gear Xrd, a game worthy of being in any fighting game fan's collection. It's definitely my second favourite fighting game of all time next to...

...Tekken Tag Tournament 2. Me being one of the biggest Tekken fans on the planet, i couldn't be happier when i picked this game up and i've played over 4000 matches on the damn game. Probably the game i've spent the most time on in my entire life. It's not my favourite because of the character balancing, just pick Eddy and Christie and you've practically ensured yourself a victory.

Now for the games that are not in the top 3 but still great games that i love to play every now and then.

• Capcom Vs. SNK 2
  • King of Fighters XIII
  • Ultra Street Fighter IV
  • Tekken 5
  • Super Smash Bros. 4

I would put UMVC3 in here as well but the horrible netcode on PS3 just makes it not enjoyable for me. You could say the same about KOF XIII but i love KOF more than the Marvel vs Capcom series because i grew up with KOF.

Edited by Cabbadachi
  • Like 1

Skullgirls and Injustice. I used be into Tekken, not so much anymore. I was never big into Street Fighter, but I do like that one as well.

Injustice is cool to me because it's basically Mortal Kombat with a DC skin. I love DC, so it's great. Skullgirls was a game I just bought on a whim, when it went on sale. But I love the whole style of it. From the art, to the character design, to the actual fighting gameplay. Only downside is the small roster.

• Like 1

• Guilty Gear X2 Reload: The Midnight Carnival

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

Soul Calibur I/IV

Street Fighter: 3rd Strike

King of Fighters XIII

Skullgirls

Dead or Alive 3/5

Super Smash Bro's Brawl

Darkstalkers

Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Edited by SteelFreaxx

I'm gonna go by each system I remember playing one on

Dreamcast - Soulcalibur

I played the Android version though, so I can't say I owned this on the DC really. Sweet Android port though, even when I'm not using my controller on it. I got it on sale though, think it was something ridiculous like 20 bucks on the Android shop, which would explain me waiting for a sale.

PlayStation - Tie between X-Men vs Street Fighter & Tekken 2

Tekken 2 lets you do a backflip kick as Law, but X-Men lets you use Cyclops' lazer eyes to kill Ryu.

PlayStation 2 - WWE Smackdown vs. Raw

Back when these games weren't yearly upgrades of eachother. Plus that soundtrack.

PlayStation 3 - PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale

Considering how much I like this, it's odd that I can't get into Smash.

PlayStation 4 - Injustice: Gods Among Us

What makes a well made fighting game better? Super heroes. What makes a well made fighting game with super heroes better? A next gen re-release with all the DLC included. What makes a well made fighting game with super heroes that got a next gen re-release with all the DLC included better? Putting it on PS+ last December for everyone to enjoy.

PlayStation Portable - Tekken: Dark Resurrection

Essentially Tekken 5: Special Edition. Runs like a dream on the portable, it was pretty damn cool nearly 10 years ago when I got it.

PlayStation Vita - Street Fighter x Tekken

Pac-Man gets to beat up Martial Law and Ryu. Why is there so many problems in the world when something so beautiful exists?

Nintendo 3DS - Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition

Picked it up for cheap and it turns out it's a REALLY faithful port, with surprisingly good 3D too.

Arcade - The Simpsons' Konami (remember when that was a good thing?) 1990 game.

I found this in an arcade in Box Hill in 2009 and stumbled into it again a few months ago at the same place. Poor guy's screen was shot, but I didn't care. I put in the coin and we picked Bart and Homer and a minute or two in Homer just broke and the guy ended up offering us another game on another machine but Simpsons was the only reason I was in there. I was actually wearing a Simpsons shirt at the time too. Last I saw, he unplugged it and pushed it to the back, quite possible that I'm the last person who'll ever play that machine, which is depressing as hell.

Omg forgot about SFxTekken yeah that was good fun too, definitely the biggest roster I've ever seen haha  :D and yeah most arcades only have Street Fighter aand Tekken these days, at least the one in Crown does  :angry:

The DOA Series, in particular DOA2 on the Dreamcast is a game I still play today.

Dead_or_Alive_2_Coverart.png

With both the vipers and VF2 in the one game and the VF2 characters have VF3 moves, I absolutely love Fighters Megamix. So many secret characters to unlock and running so smoothly on the Sega Saturn, an impressive fighter still to this day imo.

Fighters_Megamix_Coverart.png

Project Justice: Rival schools 2 - More like an improved Rival schools ,The Team Up attack and Party Up attack and the Vigor meter set to 5 instead of 9 makes this one a tonne fun with allot of moves/cancels/combos etc etc. I'm not sure If Rival schools ever did that well in sales, I haven't played much of the Psx version.

PROJECT_DC.jpg

• Like 1

For me it's got a lot to do with nostalgia.

Mortal Kombat was the first fighting game I played, I was 10 back then,played it on my cousin*s PC and was terrible at it. Couple of years later I played Street FIghter II, played it at a friend's house, then at the Arcade and later I bought it for my SNES as well. This is probably still the fighting game I play best, only character I never knew to play well was Zangief.

Later I got hooked on The King of FIghters 98. After having tried out every character once, I'd always pick the same line-up Kyu, Benimaru and Iori.

Later I tried out Tekken, Virtua Fghter and Soul Calibur and disliked both.

Nothing changed after all these years, my favourite ones are still Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and King of FIghters (most recent installments of each). Followed by Blazblue and Injustice. And I still dislike the three franchises I mentioned earlier :lol: :

Edited by voodoo_eyes