Is it worth buying AC Unity?

Fran-1995-Pro

Hello there. So I'm having a tough decision. I don't know whether I should buy AC Unity or not. I've heard a lot of bad stuff about the game, like there are a lot of bugs & glitches (players falling through the world map, awkward animations, NPCs spawning in front of you, NPCs walking in mid-air, NPCs level of detail popping in as you get close to them etc.), bad online connectivity for playing co-op. First off, I'm not a huge AC fan, I've only played AC 2 which was the first game I've played, after that it was AC4 Black Flag (PS4) and I'm still enjoying it, it's probably the best AC game ever. And AC4 BF really gave me an interest for the series so I'm just wondering if AC Unity is a good game after all the patches installed and if you can tell me about your experiences you've had with the game, or any glitches/bugs, pop-ups? I'm also really looking forward to the co-op, seems really fun. Thanks. :)

P.S. Yeah guys, I'm well aware of the game's story, characters and setting, as well as other AC games. I know that people have been saying that AC Brotherhood and Revelations felt like a DLC, AC3 was a letdown, then AC4 gave people hope again for the franchise (although some people said it's a pirate game not AC), Unity was a letdown as well (bugs) and Syndicate has good reviews "AC franchise returning back to its roots". Personally, I don't care about modern day story sequences (Abstergo) because it seems as if Ubisoft doesn't even know what he wants to tell us through the modern day sequences. The first 3 AC games had it all connected, then AC4 did a "spin-off" with the modern day sequences, AC Unity didn't have them at all (almost), and now Syndicate continues on with that from Unity with a new women etc. So it's like you have 3 different Abstergo stories:

1.AC1 - AC3

2.AC4 BF

3.AC Unity - AC Syndicate

I have read a lot of reviews and watched YouTube videos so in general I know what the game is all about (AC Unity) just wanted to make sure the bugs & glitches are fixed and that the online works well. That was my biggest concern.

Edited by Fran-1995-Pro

With all the patches out now Unity gave me zero problems glitch/bug wise. Graphics worked fine as well. It wasn't like Borderlands where you needed to wait for the fuzz/pixels to smooth out.

However, you will need to get used to the controls/combat. It's on a separate world compared to Black Flag and a separate galaxy compared to ACII. (at least that's how I feel...)

• Like 1

I felt unsatisfied when finishing the story, it was quite disappointing compared to the previous games. Since you haven't played a big majority of the games, you probably wouldn't be as let down as I was and you could even enjoy it. Graphics were nice too. I had no issues with glitches/bugs as well so you're probably safe from harm from them :P

To answer your question; yes, but not for full price

Edited by SkyesUnholy

First off, I'm not a huge AC fan, I've only played AC 2 which was the first game I've played, after that it was AC4 Black Flag (PS4) and I'm still enjoying it, it's probably the best AC game ever.

When you've only played two AC games, it's hard to call one of them the best AC game ever.

Patches have addressed the concerns you have with glitches. But since you're a self-confessed non-fan, I'd say don't buy it. If you can get it for less than $10, try it out, but otherwise don't. 

• Like 1

I played Unity after all the patches and I suffered 0 bugs/glitches. The story is mediocre but they improved a lot of the mechanics imo including combat and climbing. Graphics are nice and the rest is your typical AC game.If you like Assassins Creed you should play it but not full price, wait for a sale or find it somewhere cheap. :)

If you can buy it for a low price, go for it. Otherwise - its a pretty decent game, but a shit Assassins Creed installment.

Assassins Creed 1 was amazing and innovative Assassins Creed 2 took a great game and improved it in almost every way possible. Both of these got me really hooked with the Desmond story line. Brotherhood and Revelations felt mostly like AC2 DLC, was okay but not great. Kind of fillers for me. Assassins Creed 3 got my hopes up high, but honestly was a kind of a let down. At least they concluded the Desmond story in a decent enough way.

After that, Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag? They shouldn't have called it Assassins Creed. It's an entirely different game. Don't get me wrong, it's a great game! But it should've been called Pirates Greed. (lol)

Unity dropped the most interesting thing (IMO) about the series, and that was the whole present time story line. The story of the game itself was meh, didn't really interest me. At least the platinum trophy was really easy to obtain.

I still haven't played Syndicate, I'll probably buy it when I see it for around 30 euros.

Yeah guys, I'm well aware of the game's story, characters and setting, as well as other AC games. I know that people have been saying that AC Brotherhood and Revelations felt like a DLC, AC3 was a letdown, then AC4 gave people hope again for the franchise (although some people said it's a pirate game not AC), Unity was a letdown as well (bugs) and Syndicate has good reviews "AC franchise returning back to its roots". Personally, I don't care about modern day story sequences (Abstergo) because it seems as if Ubisoft doesn't even know what he wants to tell us through the modern day sequences. The first 3 AC games had it all connected, then AC4 did a "spin-off" with the modern day sequences, AC Unity didn't have them at all (almost), and now Syndicate continues on with that from Unity with a new women etc. So it's like you have 3 different Abstergo stories:

1.AC1 - AC3

2.AC4 BF

3.AC Unity - AC Syndicate

I have read a lot of reviews and watched YouTube videos so in general I know what the game is all about (AC Unity) just wanted to make sure the bugs & glitches are fixed and that the online works well. That was my biggest concern.

-snip-

If that was your concern, than I'd say go for it. I have played the game at launch and didn't encounter any game breaking glitches. I might have had to restart a mission once because it got bugged, the scripted sections didn't advance. Other than that, I didn't have major issues, a weird graphical quirk here and there.

Edit: And the patches probably fixed those anyways, so you should be good.

Edited by TfT_02

• 1 month later...

I played a few hours of Unity and so far it hasn't been disappointing.

Most of the complaints are coming from the glitches which was the case during the game's release. I waited until August last year to buy it because I know Ubisoft well enough to know most of their games are basically unfinished during initial release. With the patches in place Unity looks pretty good, definitely better graphical wise than Syndicate.

Gameplay wise it's what you expect from Assassins Creed. Open world game with tons of collectibles, a story that is more or less standard/medicore, and the usual Assassins outfit. I definitely prefer the Evie twins to Arno but Unity is still worth playing. Fighting mechanics definitely could of used work, I was mowing enemies down in Black Flag, had a tough time doing the same in Unity.

As for present day, it's a mess. Ever since Ubisoft did away with Lucy Stillman and Desmond Miles, I haven't felt the urge to really go with the story nor the interactions with the other characters. Black Flag in this regard was a slap in the face because you're a faceless Abstergo employee who is hacking computers so your Assassin friends can accumulate the data you've transferred to them.

Edited by Ian Lee

Paris is a brilliant setting and they really did the city justice. I was a fan of the missions which took you in to other times in the cities history over the regular modern day rubbish (my opinion).

Ive played the game twice once on launch day and once a few months ago I never experience and seriously world stop glitches either time. 

Sadly the story is a bit boring and the main character is only slightly less boring than Connor from AC3. 

I played it out pre-patch and really enjoyed it, I went for the plat after the bug fixes and it went from great to fantastic. Paris just looks gorgeous and I honestly think ubi has never been this ambitious. I think the negative reviews played a big role in Syndicates "safe graphics" and smaller area. Sure I'm enjoying syndicate though coming from a background of playing all of the ps/xb release I'm willing to say that Unity is one of the better Ass Creeds.

I played Unity after the patch and had 0 problems. Of any kind. I was surprised having heard so many negative opinions before. Moreover, I enjoyed the story as well. Now, that you can get the game at 1/3 of a price, I'd definitely go for it. Remember you also get the DLC for free.

I'm playing AC Unity right now and it's good game, not a masterpice though.

We're Arno Dorian this time around, a french Ezio in love with the wrong redhead.

Story wise Unity is an average game, it doesn't excell but it's still enjoyable. The present story is missing entirely unfortunately.

Paris is incredibly well crafted, we've a come back of the verticalization of the map, open buildings to explore and underground galleries. The weather and the daylight change often and the result is magnific, the city feels alive now more than ever.

Now to the NPCs, they're a lot, in some particularly areas they're hundreds.These crowded places are not a problem for our assassin though,who can run smoothly among them with no trouble. This huge number of NPCs was the weak point of the game, technically the game was a disaster on the release day, with huge framerate drops, hilarious bugs and glitch. With the last patch, everything has been fixed, sure there are some glitch from time to time and the framerate is not steady, but nothing to worry about.

Another weak point in the game is the AI, they are easy to expoit, even if they're able to see you quite easily, and some gadgets are too powerful. Smokebombs cough cough.  

The parkour is improved, It feels great thanks to renovate animations and new ways to approach the descent. The character customization and the skill "tree" are excellent addictions giving the player a strong sense of progression.

The Co-op is a nice addition, it's limited to specific missions that can be also faced in single player.

In conclusion Unity is (NOWDAYS, 2016) a good AC game. Personally It's the best one I have played since Brotherhood,(Black flag was great, but you ended up spending the whole game on the ship travelling around and I didn't always feel like an AC game to me) I highly recommend it. 

A masterly crafted open world with an average main story, multiple side quests and activities, tons of collectibles and free DLC. 

I'd agree with Re-LoreLink, he sums it up pretty nicely imho. I enjoyed Unity very much. If you can get it for a decent price, just do it.

I cannot really compare it to other AC games as the only other one I played was Black flag (not on PS4).

So if you are like me and enjoy pirate ships, cannons and rum, you might be disappointed - as I was in the beginning.

But Black flag and Unity are really very different games. Take them for what they are and you will have fun.

I've thoroughly finished four Assassin Creed games (AC 1 & 2, Brotherhood and Black Flag), meaning I've done almost all side content (except for AC 2, didn't bother with the side stuff) and all collectibles (except AC 1, flags are the worst possible collectible out of all games) along with finishing the main storylines. I've also played a few hours of Revelations, AC III, Unity and Syndicate respectably, but nowhere near beating them as I've barely touched the stories in those games. So for anyone here who has beaten those games, no spoilers please. Rogue is the only title I haven't touched, and I don't see a real reason to grab Liberation or Assassin Creed Chronicles unless I want more trophies/want another storyline to play in.

That being said, Unity comes out on top in the graphical department. Paris is easily the best crafted city in all the Assassin Creed games, and the day/night cycle along with the hundreds of pedestrians on the streets really brings it to life. Arno is the most graphically good looking Assassin we've seen. As much as I've enjoyed the Evie twins in the game after (Syndicate), you can definitely tell there was a graphical downgrade in the entire game, probably because Ubisoft saw that Unity had many, many glitches during Unity release day. As the previous poster said, after all patches are installed, Unity plays a lot more smoothly.

The AI as far as my experience goes is easy regardless of what Creed game it is. In the Batman Arkham games you have to play it a bit more cautiously as not all enemies can be approached the same way, but from the very beginning, once you know the moves you can literally call yourself a walking tank in the Assassin Creed games. In my opinion this needs to be looked into, at least you're no longer able to solely rely on counter as was the case in the earlier games.