effdeegee's Game A Day! (event finished)

Cast your vote for game #31!  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Cast your vote for game #31!

• Aliens vs Predator
    • Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate
    • Dead Island
    • Dead Nation
    • DOOM 3
    • Fallout New Vegas
    • Ghost Recon Future Soldier
    • Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

I've got an important announcement to make, folks.

After seriously thinking about it for a few hours, I've made an executive decision to pull all votes for FFX/X-2, FFXIII/XIII-2 and Mass Effect 2 and 3.

These are continuous, heavily story based games and I feel like I would be doing myself a huge disservice by treating them like ice cream flavour mini test cups and then simply just moving on to something else.

I suspect that these specific titles deserve the respect and undivided attention, the likes of which that would require the clearing of social schedules and playing them front to back and back to back, in order to obtain the greatest level of immersion.

Does anyone else think that starting the Mass Effect story, with anything other than Mass Effect 1, is completely ludicrous?

There has been a total of 93/169 games chosen so, I've already got an excellent idea of what the 30 are gonna be. The goal now is to fine tune the potential franchises and stories.

My next train of thought involves maybe combining votes for all titles of a single franchise and then using that total for the intro to said franchise. eg. All votes for Bioshock 2 and Bioshock Infinite should go towards Bioshock. Same thing with Deep Space. Probably not for Call of Duty though, as they're pretty much stand alone titles with different periods of time and experiences. Just trying to brainstorm a little bit here.

Please, feel free to let me know what you think of my decision to not play the 3 examples of running stories and my brainstorming idea to combine all votes into one voice to start a franchise.

Thanks folks. :)

Edited by effdeegee

I do think that playing the first game of a series first is a great idea, So Id say that if, for example, bioshock infinite gets a lot of points, you shouls end up playing bioshock instead. If you mix the points per series, series with more games would have the potential of more points, so I think still keeping them seperate is the fairest. However it could be easier on your side to just combine them, so that would be okay too. Whatever works best on your side!

• Like 1

Are we allowed to change our answers post-executive decision so everyone has the same right of influencing you with the 9 games promised in the opening post?

If you would like to, that's totally fine with me. I just ask that you either quote your post, or just reference the votes you would like to drop/add/alter.

Does anyone else think that starting the Mass Effect story, with anything other than Mass Effect 1, is completely ludicrous?

It's not completely ludicrous as everything gets explained pretty well in mass effect 2. However i highly suggest you still start with the first one. Solely because it'll make playing the 2nd game after it all the more awesome.

Whatever you do, don't start with the 3rd game.

• Like 1

1. Okami - So there's at least one good game on the list

2. Final Fantasy X - What better way to start a list of PS3 games than 2 remasters

3. Driver San Fransisco - There's something about the online. I forgot what it was

4. Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2011 - I'm just trying to use you as a guinea pig to see if Cabela games are any good

5. de Blob 2 - Because the blobs look cute

6. Inversion - The guy on the boxart is so badass he ignores gravity. How bad can that premise be?

7. Michael Jackson's the Experience - Moonwalker wasn't an option

8. Jimmie Johnson's Anything With an Engine - That's just an awesome name

9. Star Trek - So there's at least one bad game on the list

Remove FFX, move Driver and Cabela up 1 ranking, insert Sonic Unleashed as the new 4th.

• Like 1

I started Mass Effect with 2 and it was fine. Recommended it because it's so good but you're making the right move wanting to give the series more than just a day's play.

I'd edit my original post with different games but I was struggling for good ones by the 7th game lol.

Edited by feral611
  • Like 1

Keen eye, old friend.

BeautifulTorment picked it because it's an ongoing inside joke between us. It's like a "Your rules be damned, eff. Buy the friggin' game already because I wanna see you play a good game/RPG for once and Demon's Souls is awesome."

Boooda picked it because he made a mistake by picking PSASBR for Vita and he's way too busy running a lot of other things to go back to the list a second time, so he just picked a good game from BT's list because he's a fellow Canadian that also has a bazillion trophies.

Cobby picked it because he's lazy as crap and never even looked at the link. He just looked at everyone else's lists and handpicked the ones he recognized. :giggle:

Just one of the joys of being on the site/in the chat 14 hours a day for 4 years straight; you learn folks. :D

There's also multiple people that picked a total of 10 games (when I said 9), Vita games (when I said PS3) and the grindiest games combined with dead online servers (even though my playtime for each will only be around 8 hours of main story).

Lmfao you read me like a book, that's hilarious

• Like 4

Dead Space 1+2 (2 is my favorite ps3 game, 1 is almost as good. I can't recommend these games enough)

Bioshock 1 (seriously, this game is awesome)

FF X (my favorite ps2 game)

Enslaved (great story, good gameplay)

Rayman Origins (it's like legends, without the online grind)

Skyrim (you've heard all the reasons)

DA:Origins ( I played through the whole game, then immediately started another character to see all the alternate decisions... Before i was a trophy hunter)

New Vegas (so much to see and so, just keep a couple saves)

Have fun

I'd say that for continuous stories, combining is good. But Infinite has nothing to do with Bio 1&2 , so I wouldn't combine those.

And since you'll be combining my first two votes for Dead Space 1&2, put Dark Souls in at #2 :D

Seriously though, I'm going to have to take another look at the list and redo pretty much the whole thing at this point. I'll get back soon.

Edit: not as hard as it seemed. Just move everything up with the removal of FFX and a Dead Space repeat. Add in beyond 2 souls at #8(player the demo yesterday, seems fun) and Max Payne 3 at #9. I picked it up on sale after the first lottery. Maybe we could do an informal let's play + boosting.

I played the original Mass Effect on 360 like 8 years ago. I found it clunky and annoying and returned it the next day. I played Mass Effect 2 far enough after to remember nothing of the story, and I was fine.

Edited by Hemiak
  • Like 1

Learning a new set of controls a day sounds like it could get frustrating. I know it would be a nightmare for me. 

But Infinite has nothing to do with Bio 1&2 

I wouldn't say it has nothing to do with it. A lot of people say its the same game

"there's always a man, always a lighthouse, always a city". I think the word for it is parallel universe or alternate timeline etc. There are so many similarities if you look into it

But i agree in saying that it doesn't have to be played in order.

No game votes for 4 days; that's pretty sweet. Makes my job a lot easier without having to do all of that adding and editing. :P

Maybe I'll add a new game... :hmm:

EDIT: I took all of the games that had 4 voting points each and put them into a poll for game #31. :)

Edited by effdeegee

Are you planning to start this in January? If you answered that or it's on the first page....my bad

It's looking that way.

I originally asked for 30, but remembered there's 31 days in January. Then, I figured I'd just leave it as is and take a day off on the 1st, for New Year's Day, or the 31st, to do a full recap or something. Finally, I just decided to tack #31 on as a poll, to fill out the month and give the community exposure another little bump.

• 2 weeks later...

So, now that The Lottery 3 is officially closing up shop, I'm focused on this upcoming event and made some alterations to the presentation of the main post in preparation for January 1st.

I opted to reverse the list order as a strategy to aid in the levels of my enthusiasm during the later stages of this marathon. Keeping the best for last should motivate me to keep going, even when I'll undoubtedly be tired of playing.

Thanks to everyone that submitted a list and voted on #31. :)

You've got some great games ahead of you eff. I'm almost jealous that you have so many classics to enjoy for the first time. Your first game dead nation is also one of my absolute favourites so I hope you enjoy it. The start of this event does have a tinge of regret on my part though. I forgot to vote! I for one would loved to have heard your musings on Jimmie Johnson's Anything with an Engine!

Edited by Cleggworth
  • Like 1