effdeegee's Game A Day! (event finished)

Cast your vote for game #31!  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Cast your vote for game #31!

• Aliens vs Predator
    • Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate
    • Dead Island
    • Dead Nation
    • DOOM 3
    • Fallout New Vegas
    • Ghost Recon Future Soldier
    • Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

Friday, January 1st, 2016.

L0167c0.png

My initial thoughts were:

1. That loading disclaimer, you know, the one that says "If you have a history of seizures, etc" was not adequate enough for the intro movie that followed. I really thought my eyes were gonna start to bleed. :|

2. This is a pretty neat little game. :)

Good sound and lighting are easily the major highlights of this top-down shooter. Considering I only paid $0.88 for the Flash Sale PS3 + Vita bundle, I'd say I'm definitely getting my money's worth, too. :giggle:

I thought it was rather hilarious when, after getting the first trophy in this event, I calmly declared, "and so it begins." only to finish the level a couple of minutes later and have a trophy by the same name unlock. :D

7Lb93953.png

:bronze:And So It Begins...

Complete Mission 1 (Any Difficulty Level)

Edited by effdeegee
  • Like 4

That's a goodie. My brother and I played through that game in co-op together. Lots of fun lol. Road to devestation dlc is where shit got real :)

Road to devastation is the bane of my trophy hunting life. I have tried literally hundreds of times to get to level 10 and I just cannot do it. For the ps3 and vita that's fine, I've got the plat just not the 100% but in the Apocalypse edition its base game so no plat for me. I was once killed by a cutter literally inches from the gate at the end of the 9th. I raged so hard I broke a controller

Saturday, January 2nd, 2016.

L6a6132.png

This game was pure bliss gaming. And it only got better in the subsequent playthroughs. Especially the Golden bullets difficulty where every enemy will die with one bullet but you as well only have a limited amount of life to plow through the hundreds of gangsters. 

Quite odd how 2 of your first played games were both on my list ;) Glad you enjoyed them :D

Edited by Zone Hunter
  • Like 1

Sunday, January 3rd, 2016.

L79c851.png

Holy macaroni, did you guys see that frickin' intro movie? And I didn't even have to buy a ticket to the theatre! :jaymon:

The game isn't all that bad; bright, colourful and a good story all top the list of pros, but the rest of the game evens out due to everything about it having equal parts sweet and horrific.

The racing sections are pretty cool; extremely fast and well designed courses, but it's almost too fast and overwhelming. There's a lot of emphasis put on QTEs, but they allow very little reaction time for most of them so, you're always stopping and starting; not what I want in a Sonic game. In true Sonic fashion, in order to access the many different layers of each racing level, repetition will need to be a major player.

The night time "Werehog" sections are kind of fun. Lots of exploration and collectibles and the combat is actually pretty decent, too. The thing that kills it is when the game's camera and 3D platforming sections get drunk together, sing karaoke and then think they sound good enough to start a band. Constantly shifting, fixed camera angles, combined with frustratingly unintuitive controls, make for some serious headaches and periods of cussin' up a storm at the tv because you just threw yourself off of a cliff, when all you wanted to do was simply follow the game's path and jump 5 feet to the right.

I like the open world hub sections, with their stores and fetch missions. I like the flying sections and the boss battles, too.

All in all; not the best game but... it's a game that, when it comes right down to it... it uh, wait. :hmm: I forget where I was going with this. What was my point supposed to be? Oh well. I guess we'll just have to leave it at "not the best game". Yeah. I think that best describes it. :giggle:

Tough break, madbuk. Chalk up yet another one that doesn't give a poop about your fave Sonic game. :P

Edited by effdeegee
  • Like 3

Monday, January 4th, 2016.

Lf038cc.png

So, Antonio Banderas had sex with a Michael Bay movie and out popped Uncharted, wearing a Bionic Commando glove, landing smack dab in the middle of the Far Cry 3 map.

If that sentence doesn't immediately make your bunghole moist (and I can't see why it wouldn't), then you'll probably have to look a bit harder to like this game. It has the floaty jumping like in inFAMOUS, if that helps any. :dunno:

OMG can this game be any bigger? :| It's the biggest frickin' map I've ever seen. :jaymon: I've only just started but, I'm already getting the sense that this is the Mother of all games with collectibles and side missions. It definitely looks like a pretty daunting task when you first start out. Dots errywur, mang.

I'm still getting a grip on the story and the different factions but, I'm already willing to call this one for the win column. It's got decent graphics and tonnes to do so, it should take up a good portion of my day and it's definitely worth the $3.00 I paid for it. :D

Edited by effdeegee
  • Like 3

Tuesday, January 5th, 2016.

Laee486.png

A bit of a mixed bag, really.

On one hand, I haven't really put in a huge amount of time so, I've only managed to experience the first 10% of the story.

On the other hand, I can already see some pretty glaring issues that, if I was to play this for 50+ hours, would probably wear on my last nerves.

Is it just me, or does this game seem to be starting off terribly slow? Why am I always going to play darts and bowling? Why does every car handle like lubed up walrus swimming in wet cement? I mean seriously, I've been playing this game for 3 hours and I don't even own a gun yet. :| I thought the game case said Grand Theft Auto IV PS3, not "Driving Miss Daisy DVD Russian Retard Extended Edition". Isn't GTA all about briefcases full of cocaine and machine guns and beating up hookers with baseball bats and :jaymon: ? When do these two knuckle draggers stop chewing up the English language and spitting it into their Nokias? :facepalm:

Again, I've only been playing for a few hours so, I'm sure it ramps up the action later. These are just my initial thoughts.

Less than 10 minutes into the game, I see an icon on my map that looks like the men's symbol on a bathroom door and it says "friend" when I scroll over it. "Well, that's pleasant," I think to myself. "I've only been in the country long enough to drive from the seaport to my cousin's shithole apartment, and I've already had a random person on the side of the road declare me to be a friend." ^_^

So, I walk over to this total stranger and say hello and he immediately starts making fun of my accent and country and tells me to piss off. I tell him he's a "dick" or "dickhead" (I honestly can't remember which) and he passes me a $100 bill and walks away.

I uh... I'm just gonna go ahead and not expect some revolutionary experience here. <_<

Edited by effdeegee
  • Like 2

RockStar wanted to make GTA IV more realistic compared to the older games. That's why the driving is crap, no tanks, less colorful to match Real NYC, and weapons are not that over the top.

The dlc helped fixed the issues people with vanilla GTA IV. TBOGT & TLAD dlc has all the stuff you mentioned that lacked.

Edited by Suicide_Tortuga

Wednesday, January 6th, 2016.

L7656fb.png

Now, I suddenly remember why karting games are wicked frustrating. :hmm:

To be fair, F1 Bobblehead Bullshit isn't a totally bad game. As far as karting games go, it's better than most others. It's just a shame they left out any tutorials.

This game teaches the player nothing other than how to drink Red Bull. I'm not even kidding. How to throw power ups, how to boost off the start, any neat tips and tricks; nothing. It's not terribly hard to figure out a lot of it with a bit of trial and error but, for a game that's got enough money to use hundreds of corporate logos, you'd think they could throw in a tiny menu option that explains a bit more than racing game = gas good; brake bad.

The same repeat kart game offenders make their appearance; the worst being having the crap bombed out of you if you're in any position higher than 8th. To add insult to injury, there's car damage. :| So, as soon as you get a neon green turd shoved up your tailpipe, your kart turns into a glorified soap box racer with square, cement wheels and, as soon as you pit to repair and rejoin the race, you've got a dozen F1 puppets, now fully loaded with the neon blue turds, and they're more than ready to welcome you back to the track.

It's got dozens of riders and lots of game modes and stats. Honestly, it could've been a lot worse.

Haste makes waste. Fools rush in. Speed kills. Seems fitting considering I don't wanna play this game anymore. :lol:

Edited by effdeegee
  • Like 1

I see you have Game of thrones coming up but how do you know which game of thrones people were referring to. The great story or the shitty rpg?

If you look back over the first post, you'll find that all of the game suggestions were picked from a list of games that I already owned and hadn't started yet.

I know what Game of Thrones they were referring to because I only owned one of them.

For the record, it's the crappy rpg one that was on sale for $0.80 during that flash sale a while back.

• Like 1

If you look back over the first post, you'll find that all of the game suggestions were picked from a list of games that I already owned and hadn't started yet.

I know what Game of Thrones they were referring to because I only owned one of them.

For the record, it's the crappy rpg one that was on sale for $0.80 during that flash sale a while back.

Yes your list just says "Game of Thrones". I'm just saying others may have picked that because they thought it was the telltale version  :)

Yes your list just says "Game of Thrones". I'm just saying others may have picked that because they thought it was the telltale version  :)

Oh, I get ya' now. The wording of the question could've been taken either way.

I guess what you meant was, "How did THEY know what Game of Thrones game THEY were referring to?"

To which my fastest answer would be, Meh. I wouldn't put too much thought into it. It's an event where I ask strangers on the internet to tell me what to play for a day; we're not exactly splitting atoms over here. :P

To any who cast a vote for Game of Thrones, thinking it was the good one, and you feel you've been misled in any way, I'd like to direct you to my lawyer's office, located on the corner of Kiss St. and My Bum Ave. :lol:

• Like 3

Friday, January 8th, 2016.

L3ce00c.png

This was one of the games on the list that I was actually a little hyped to see make the final cut. I was always so curious as to what it was like. Was it like Sleeping Dogs? Or an Asian Grand Theft Auto? ooohhh the suspense. I was so hyped to play it, I seriously considered starting the game while it was still 10:30pm on yesterday's game day. :ninja:

Someone told me that there was a large initial install and some back story movies I just had to watch so, I decided to put the disc in early and get it all set up and, as soon as that clock hit 12:00:01am, I was installed, up to speed on the backstory and ready to roll. B)

It didn't take long for me to realize why weeb city was so adamant that it had to be played.

So, here I was, playing this Tekken 2 RPG set in Japan... <_<

C'mon people! For the love of God. There's more to life than 11 year old Asian schoolgirls with giant, glossy marbles for eyes, named Hoochie MoonMamaSon. Seriously. Get a frickin' grip. :spank:

and that's not to say I don't like the game, either. Oh no. As a matter of fact, it's quite the contrary, actually. I believe it's the current leader for hours played, amongst games in this event. I probably played for at least 7 or 8 hours straight.

You can imagine my surprise when I checked the stats screen and it said I wasn't even 1% done. :|

It's probably because this game takes forever to do anything! :jaymon:

Don't get me wrong; this is seriously one of the best stories I've seen in a game in a long time but, if I have to get sidetracked one more time because I have to read a whole book about how a little unicorn princess lost her lollipop, or because chunky little Hideki needs another quarter for the arcade, I'll never play Yakuza 4. :angry:

I'm only kidding. I'm playing the hell outta this game and, as soon as this event is over, it'll be one of the first games I come back to. :lol:

Edited by effdeegee
  • Like 3

Saturday, January 9th, 2016.

L73c163.png

I hadn't played a wrestling game in many years, so I was kind of curious to see how much further the genre could have progressed with all of the new technology.

I'll start off by saying that I was a pretty big wrestling fan back in the mid 1980's but, right when it became more about boobs and drama (right around when they introduced Sable and Stone Cold and The Rock were just becoming popular; 1994ish?), I had already reached the point where I had grown much older and was quite ready to leave it with the rest of my childhood memories.

I'll also say that, since growing out of it way back then, I haven't been particularly fond of wrestling fans, due to the wasting of my brain cells by suggesting to me which greased up steroid gorilla in a speedo they feel deserves the title more than the other oiled up steroid goon in a banana hammock.

But I digress...

I guess the first thing one should do, when starting one a' dem der' wrastlin' games, is create themself as a character and head for the championship belt, right? So, I did.

Hey, hey! Look at me! Fresh faced and a staggering rating of 40 out of 100. :awesome:

The story starts with the current champion, standing in the ring, challenging a fan in the crowd (you) to a fight. :huh: Without any training, tutorials, or clear objectives, I guess you're expected to win?

5 minutes later, the second part of the story has you being ambushed in the locker room by 2, level 80 wrestlers. Still with no training or tutorials, you're expected to win? Only, they don't tell you that pinning doesn't count. You have to beat them both unconscious AND the only way to do that is by performing special environmental moves. :facepalm:

After finally figuring that out (by accident mind you; thanks for nothing stupid game), the next part of the story has you up against 4, level 85 wrestlers. :| The game openly tells you to "throw the other 4 out of the ring" so, I start tossing them out like bags of garbage only, they just keep coming right back into the ring.

Hello? Game? Can you at least give me one damn friggin' hint on what I'm supposed to be doing here? No? Okay then.

The next part of the story has another 2 man, level 80, ambush in an office, only this time, there's a big sign on the screen that says "SCORE: 0." Again, no tutorial on who, what, where, when, why or how to "score" and, to top it all off, these two guys are extra angry from the last time I kicked their asses. I literally cannot get a single punch in on them, let alone score one of the mystery points, and that's when I decided my brain had been tortured enough by this steaming pile of shit.

Easily one of the worst games I've played in the last 20 years. I'm not one for hand holding but, combining a learning curve of this magnitude, with literally zero training or objective information, is terribly frustrating and inexcusably poor programming and development.

If you enjoyed this game, I'd be willing to bet a bazillion dollars you're either mentally handicapped, have watched wrestling within the last 10 days, or both.

Edited by effdeegee
  • Like 1