Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Setzaroth

So they are ruining tekken 7

31 posts in this topic

Akuma is canon in the Tekken universe? Are you serious? Not only is this a slap in the face for original fans of the games, but it's insulting to our intelligence when they just expect us to believe it has been like this all along.

 

I questioned Harada about it via twitter and he called me an narrow minded child.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Care to share more information on your opinion? Perhaps a link to the twitter response that you're talking about?

Edited by Urushiro
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with Fox, what it means to be in Tekken's canon; might not mean he is in it at all really, it depends how you look at it. You have never really seen Roger or Alex outside their own stories really, yet a kangaroo family where Roger (the dad) has a rivalry with a dinosaur that should be extinct (although I think in the animation they explain why there are dinosaurs in the Tekken universe) is counted as canon. There's other characters who haven't even been in the main story, since they all have their own ones like King etc. I don't see Akuma being part of the Heihachi/Mishima feud storyline, if he is, it will more likely be a dream of Heihachi's or something. I don't honestly see them sticking him in the center of the story and saying something like this is why the feud started in the first place or something like that.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, since Kazuya died (but is alive), Heihachi was reported dead (but is alive), Jinpachi came out of nowhere (and was a zombie in a way), Ogre that came out of no where (and supposedly is still alive?) and now we get Heihachi wife (that died too, not sure how this is handled, since I don't know anything story wise in T7), I see no problem in making Akuma cannon..

 

Really if it wasn't Akuma but it was a new character no one would think twice about this... and at least Akuma can fit into the story in a meaningful way, opposed to other SF characters like Ryu that would just be "someone with a grudge against Jin, Kazuya or Heihachi", since that spot is already took care of by half the Tekken cast..

 

My only concern is that Akuma may somewhat screw the gameplay, by forcing sidestep strategies as the only viable way to fight him, not giving much room for other kinds of gameplay (this is based on Eliza from Tekken Revolution, since that was the test character for this stuff.. and to tell the truth between Eliza and Akuma reason to join, I would take Akuma any day..).

 

And as a final note: Yoshimitsu is cannon to Tekken and Soul Calibur (and no one ever questioned that), but Tekken Yoshimitsu isn't the same as Soul Calibur to some extent, I don't know why that can't be the same with Akuma..

Edited by Han_the_Dragon
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what you're saying is you can accept a kickboxing kangaroo as well as all this:

 

But no, Akuma is just waaayyyy to weird to maintain your suspension of disbelief?

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what you're saying is you can accept a kickboxing kangaroo as well as all this:

 

But no, Akuma is just waaayyyy to weird to maintain your suspension of disbelief?

 

I don't get what the rant is about, and I've played every Tekken game to date... Anyways, many of the endings can be silly all they want, because they're not canon.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with Han, so... killing characters and reviving them is more valid than putting a non-human character that could have been created by Lee for what we know? =D

 

 

 

I don't get what the rant is about, and I've played every Tekken game to date... Anyways, many of the endings can be silly all they want, because they're not canon.

I think it's just showing that Lee is too...

(•_•) 
( •_•) ⌐■-■ 
(⌐■_■)

excellent.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest characters appear in fighting games all the time. Kratos in MK9? Predator and Jason in MKX? Ezio in SCV? it's just a bit of fun, it doesn't ruin the game.

Edited by Makise Kurisu
4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are talking about Tekken cannon :o. Yeah that is why people play fighting games, for the intense lore behind it (I know some people get really into the stories but in the end it is about the fighting mechanics)

 

Technically doesn't Spawn and Link exist in the same universe as Heihachi was in Soul Calibur 2 with them. Actually Heihachi was also in Playstation Allstars so Sackboy is part of the Tekken universe as well.

 

Enjoy the game, and have fun beating up Akuma with a Kangaroo

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what you're saying is you can accept a kickboxing kangaroo as well as all this:

 

But no, Akuma is just waaayyyy to weird to maintain your suspension of disbelief?

 

Nothing that happens in Tekken Tag Tournament is canon though.  Everything else you linked is canon.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2015 at 4:32 AM, RHG-SniperFox said:

You realize you're talking about a story in which a Karate bear, a boxing kangaroo, a living training dummy, multiple robots, and what could possibly be called the LITERAL DEVIL - all exist in canon, right?

What exactly is so weird about Akuma? It's also most likely a precursor to Tekken X Street Fighter. Tekken isn't a series known for guest characters, except for Gon back in Tekken 3 - and he was there as a joke.

Akuma is in the Tekken canon now [Maybe - don't forget, each character usually has a story of their own, and they aren't all canon. It very well could just be a "dream match" type deal - like Kratos in MK9.]

Even if he is a part of the real Tekken lore [And honestly, who truly cares about Tekken's story?], nothing is "ruined" because the story is already ridiculous.

Thanks, you beat me to it. I suspect that this is going to be one of those posts that the OP wishes he could take back. The Tekken series has been littered with the nonsense of Panda bears wearing miniskirts and illogical story endings but the thought of someone from another fighting series  joining the game (which has been a Namco staple the past 10 years) that is apparently where the OP draws the line in the sand 😆.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its Tekken.

 

If you don't like him I wouldn't worry - someone will chuck him into a volcano soon enough.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2015-12-15 at 10:50 AM, Han_the_Dragon said:

Well, since Kazuya died (but is alive), Heihachi was reported dead (but is alive), Jinpachi came out of nowhere (and was a zombie in a way), Ogre that came out of no where (and supposedly is still alive?) and now we get Heihachi wife (that died too, not sure how this is handled, since I don't know anything story wise in T7), I see no problem in making Akuma cannon..

 

Really if it wasn't Akuma but it was a new character no one would think twice about this... and at least Akuma can fit into the story in a meaningful way, opposed to other SF characters like Ryu that would just be "someone with a grudge against Jin, Kazuya or Heihachi", since that spot is already took care of by half the Tekken cast..

 

My only concern is that Akuma may somewhat screw the gameplay, by forcing sidestep strategies as the only viable way to fight him, not giving much room for other kinds of gameplay (this is based on Eliza from Tekken Revolution, since that was the test character for this stuff.. and to tell the truth between Eliza and Akuma reason to join, I would take Akuma any day..).

 

And as a final note: Yoshimitsu is cannon to Tekken and Soul Calibur (and no one ever questioned that), but Tekken Yoshimitsu isn't the same as Soul Calibur to some extent, I don't know why that can't be the same with Akuma..

That´s actually a good thing. Sidestepping is like the biggest factor in Tekken. If you wanna be a good player you need to learn to sidestep good.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a die hard fan of the franchise but honestly, who the f**k cares about the story line and the connection to the Tekken universe? Since Street Fighter X Tekken we knew that Namco was allowed

to create Capcom characters and this is a good thing. Tekken was always about beating up others. Local or online.

Personally I couldn't care less about an even more ridiculous story.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

who the f**k cares about the story line

Who isn't? =D 

Volcano throwing is a serious business =D

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think OP just needs to lighten up a little. The story in this series (while interesting to an extent) isn't some grand epic with top drawer writing, it's OTT on purpose. This isn't the first crossover character in a mainline Tekken game either - GON in Tekken 3 was taken from a semi-popular manga in Japan. Are you outraged about that as well? Like everyone else has said if you are having a hard time picturing a character like Akuma existing in the Tekken series - which includes a bunch of anthropomorphized animals, cyborgs, demons (just like Akuma), Aztec fighting gods, etc. - then the problem is probably with you. I think Harada was right to call you out on that tbh.

 

EDIT: Jeez, just noticed how old this is. I'm assuming OP has moved on from it.

Edited by SkyMason
This is an old ass post
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really know him (and I haven't played a Tekken game since 3), but Harada is right and I respect him for being patient and polite to you.

 

Seriously, stop being such an entitled little brat. If you don't like the way the game is going, don't play it, there are plenty of alternatives. There has been a SF X Tekken game already (and I think there's a reverse one coming too).

 

For everyone that still wants to read the conversation:

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/676254046789894145

 

Edit:

 

25 minutes ago, SkyMason said:

EDIT: Jeez, just noticed how old this is. I'm assuming OP has moved on from it.

 

... I guess we all fell for it...

Edited by Ric
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also think its kinda uneccesary to give Akuma such an important role but whats way worse is how unfair the special fight against him is. Since Tekken 5, the bosses could use some unfair techniques but this is over the top

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2015 at 4:32 AM, RHG-SniperFox said:

You realize you're talking about a story in which a Karate bear, a boxing kangaroo, a living training dummy, multiple robots, and what could possibly be called the LITERAL DEVIL - all exist in canon, right?

What exactly is so weird about Akuma? It's also most likely a precursor to Tekken X Street Fighter. Tekken isn't a series known for guest characters, except for Gon back in Tekken 3 - and he was there as a joke.

Akuma is in the Tekken canon now [Maybe - don't forget, each character usually has a story of their own, and they aren't all canon. It very well could just be a "dream match" type deal - like Kratos in MK9.]

Even if he is a part of the real Tekken lore [And honestly, who truly cares about Tekken's story?], nothing is "ruined" because the story is already ridiculous.

 

I think you, and everyone else is missing OP's point. This isn't a discussion about suspension of belief, or what is or isn't ridiculous as far as character concepts and abilities go. OP is talking about the fact that Street Fighter and Tekken are linked now (not just in the side stories of SFxT, but in actual canon), and is implied that it has always been this way. So in that respect, your reply isn't compatible with OP's grievance.

 

That said, all of this is subjective, and only each individual fan can decide for themselves whether they enjoy the content in the game or the series' universe itself. Even the creator of the series himself cannot validate one opinion or another. The creator could very well tell us to like the world he created or play another series instead, but fans are still entitled to their opinions. You will find that the most passionate of fans will have the deepest feelings for the series, and as a result can be either very happy or very angry at one concept or another. That simply can't be helped.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went ahead and searched for this tweet, and twitter would only load up to something like October 2016. However, @Setzaroth, your twitter is a complete shit show and a bit appalling at certain points. I can see why he would call you a narrow minded child, especially when you post stuff such as this...

I can't find a way to insert a screenshot, so what you put on Reddit, then tweeted on twitter (January 11th, 2017) calling the guy who called you out "an idiot"  and saying that you "wish you could make this stuff up" was...

 

Setzaroth: There's really no reason to report someone unless they are being exceptionally abusive and serious. "SS heil hitler" is like entry level, welcome to the internet stuff... Probably shouldn't be so sensitive

Other User: Maybe you shouldn't be fine with Nazi values

Setzaroth: I don't even know how to respond to something this stupid

Edited by TristanBrown17
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/12/2015 at 10:32 AM, Blue Flare said:

The fact you've come here to post/rant about it is only proving Harada's point.

This, Akuma fit really good in the game, so I really don't know why people are complain, just play the game and enjoy with firends, geez, try to be less spoiled or frustrated....

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The inclusion of Akuma may be hinting at a bigger picture like the potential of Tekken X Street Fighter.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.