What's your all-time favorite controller?

Zenpai

150 members have voted

1. 1. What's your all-time favorite controller?

• Dualshock 1+2
    • Dualshock 3
    • Dualshock 4
    • Xbox Controller
    • Xbox 360 Controller
    • Xbox One Controller
    • Nintendo 64 Controller
    • Gamecube Controller
    • Wiimote
    • Wii U GamePad
    • Other
  2. 2. What's the most comfortable handheld?

What's your all-time favorite controller? Which one was the most comfortable, had the best size, the best analog sticks, the best triggers, the best face buttons?... Overall, which controller just enhanced your gaming experience on all levels?

For me, I would have to say the Dualshock 3. While I liked the Dualshock 2's increased resistance on the analog sticks, the fact that the Dualshock 3 is wireless gives it the top spot for me. I really like its comfortable analog sticks and shoulder buttons and the face buttons are really well designed, they're sturdy enough that you can mash them all day long, but soft enough that your thumb won't get sore if you do so.

I still haven't had enough time with a Dualshock 4, but it's highly likely that it'll become my new favorite as soon as I can get my hands on a PS4.

By the way, since handhelds are kind of a controller in and of themselves, which handheld's the most comfortable for you to play on?

Up until now, I really liked the original Game Boy Advance and its extremely smooth shoulder buttons, but after spending some time with my Vita, it may now be my new favorite. It really feels well on the hand, all the buttons are really comfortable and well designed (unlike the Game Boy Advance, where the D-Pad could become a bit too hard on the thumb after a while) and the size is just right. The grips on the back are also extremely smooth and comfortable - though unfortunately, they had to be scaled down to make room for a barely used back touchscreen... If the grips' finish was all over the Vita's back, I'd just crown it my newest most comfortable handheld of all time and never look back.

You can also say what's your most uncomfortable controller and handheld if you so desire :P So far, I haven't really found a controller so hideous I just couldn't use it (even though the Xbox 360's controller's face buttons are a bit too hard for my taste...) and it's the same with handhelds (though I really dislike the fact that you often have to hold the more recent consoles with just one hand to interact with the touch screen).

What about you guys? Which is your all-time favorite controller? And which handheld's the most comfortable to you?

Edited by jrdemr

The DS4 is leaps and bounds better than the DS3, which feels like a lightweight, tacky thing in comparison. 

I voted for the 360 controller though. Years of conditioning mean that I am just more comfortable with the left stick being higher up on the controller, and the D pad where the DS4's left stick is. I've been exclusively playing on PS consoles since the PS4 launched, and I still end up pointing the stick at the wrong angles from time to time because my brain expects the stick to be in a different place relative to my thumb joints.

The Vita's ok once you get used to it, but can still be quite uncomfortable. I've not tried all the Nintendo DS's, but the Vita's probably the best of a bad bunch. 

I have to agree on the PlayStation 3 controller. It just feels very good, especially since I have pretty small hands. I don't have a PlayStation 4, but from my limited playtime with that controller I would say that it provides a very good experience. As for handhelds, I really enjoy the PlayStation Vita, so much so that I'm thinking of buying one.

Edited by skelfilegur

FHYTSS5GRYOQPO5.MEDIUM.jpg

Can't beat it

I wouldn't be a gamer if I didn't agree and like this too :D

As for handhelds, it's a hard choice. It's between Nintendo DS and Gameboy Advance. Vita was very uncomfortable at first and took some days to get used to.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra
  • Like 1

It was tough to choose between Xbox 360 controller or DS4. I think I like the DS4 a little better though, mainly because it's not as fat. The DS3 was pretty bad, too light and fragile. I also think the Xbone controller is not as good as the 360. For whatever reason, it just doesn't feel as good in my hands.

As for handhelds, I don't find any of the comfortable. I voted for PSP, because that's the one I used the most, and the one I got used to. To me, all handhelds are awkward.

For a long time, it was the Gamecube controller for me. Then along came the DS4. That thing is perfect. It's a good weight so it doesn't feel like a toy, the handles, buttons, and sticks feel comfortable to hold/use, and it has a built in battery (it disturbs me that I have to mention this as an advantage in 2015). The only thing I don't like about it, is that annoying light on top. I really don't understand why they thought that was a good idea. It's fairly easy to ignore most of the time, but it still occasionally gets on my nerves.

GameCube controller. Yeah, it doesn't seem that good at the first sight, and the shape is weird, but it sits SO well in my hands and grip is so comfortable, it's ridiculous. I've felt ashamed for even thinking "heh that doesn't look like much" at first. 

PSP for handhelds. Vita still feels a little bulky in comparison and not as comfortable to hold to me. 

Edited by NetEntity

Depends on what you're playing i suppose. If we're looking at fighting games then a fighting stick is objectively the best way to go, but generally speaking i've really been enjoying the Wii U Pro Controller so far.

Wii-U-Pro-Controller.jpg

It feels really natural in your hand and the buttons are just where i like them, kinda like the best of both Playstation and XBox. Battery life is absoutely amazing, i've played with it for several weeks without recharging at times.

Only downside is it gets dirty very easily.

Dual shock 4 is hands down the most comfortable. I have big hands and used to love the original xbox controller. I have a hard time going back to old consoles. NES and SNES feel so cheap and like I saod I have big hands... easily broken. N64 has to be the worst controller. I have no idea how I used to play on that damn thing.

Handhelds... my vita is love. The GBA was really comfortable though too. Anyone who days a 3ds is comfortable is crazy. Or you have baby hands. Its also terrible for laying in bed with.

It seems like this really comes down to how big your hands are  :lol:  Because same for me, I prefer the DS3 and I have small hands. The original Duke Xbox controller was ridiculous for little-kid-me, and the Xbox 360 controller was a bit much too (and heavy, who has batteries around anymore?). It turned me off the Xbox tbh, I couldn't physically enjoy playing it. The DS4 is beautiful but it's just a tiny bit too big, I feel like my thumb doesn't sit as "on top" of the stick as it should and so I find I need to take breaks more often with it.

Honestly though, I'm no fan of the PS4 controller, it's simply painful for me to use and the light... urgh, no thanks. But I love the dualshock 1-3. The gamecube controller is pretty great too IMO, but it's a bit more limited with it's usage.

FHYTSS5GRYOQPO5.MEDIUM.jpg

Can't beat it

Still got a couple of these. Honestly though, they're pretty damn terrible. Sure, they work, but playing with one of them for a good while simply hurts. Played so much with them, but yeah, definitely not a good controller to use IMO.

I know I voted PSP, but meh, GBA is more comfy.

Edited by MMDE