What's your all-time favorite controller?

Zenpai

150 members have voted

1. 1. What's your all-time favorite controller?

• Dualshock 1+2
    • Dualshock 3
    • Dualshock 4
    • Xbox Controller
    • Xbox 360 Controller
    • Xbox One Controller
    • Nintendo 64 Controller
    • Gamecube Controller
    • Wiimote
    • Wii U GamePad
    • Other
  2. 2. What's the most comfortable handheld?

DS4 has the right weight.

DS4 Has the right size for my big hands

DS4 has better triggers (L2\R2) then the DS3

the only thing i hate is... my thumb slips off the left stick for time to time... the dent in the stick compared to the  DS3 isn't working for me!

Pressing the L3 and pressing it forward is a hell for me!

Though I want to say DS3, DS4 is overall much better especially because of how nice it feels.

It was hard for me to choose for handhelds so I put in Gameboy Color but I also spent lots of time on the DS so they're right next to each other. My opinion on this might change though once I buy a 3DS or Vita (most likely 3DS, the main thing that makes me want to buy a Vita is P4G, but 3DS has so many more exclusives and that are ones that I like too.)

I'm bored and don't feel like playing a game so I'll give my opinions on all of them that I've actually used. You'll notice that I dislike cameras, motion controls, and touchscreens/touchpads.

Controllers

NES: It really shows it's age with it's lack of joysticks and lack of buttons.

SNES: It's an improvement from the NES controller but it's also not nearly at the level of the modern controllers.

N64: I could never feel ok when using one. I always felt like I needed a third hand to be able to use every button and the joystick and never knew where to hold it. The controller gave me an aversion to sticks on controllers until the ps2.

Gamecube: The placement of the four button felt odd to me. Because of this, I'd rarely play games that required excessive use of X and Y.

Wii: The motion controller was ok at first but it got old quickly for me. I'd usually try to use a gamecube controller whenever possible because of my dislike of it.

Sega Genesis: I preferred this controller over the SNES at the time but it's still not at the level of modern controllers. It was a comfortable controller though.

PS1: I preferred the playstation controller to the dualshock 1 controller on the playstation. I never used the analog sticks when I played games (see N64) so it was nice not having them in the way.

PS2: It got me to enjoy playing with the stick. I would usually use a 3rd party wireless controller over the dualshock 2 controller and the wireless controller was the perfect weight and size for me at the time. I'm not sure how it would compare to my hands now, but it was the best controller I'd used at the time.

PS Eye Toy for PS2: I hated it. Don't get me started.

PS3: I disliked the motion controls in the controller. It's otherwise about the same as the wireless ps2 controller but slightly too light. One plus on this over the same generation 360 controller is that it can be plugged in to charge with a generic usb cable.

PS4: I don't really like it. The touchpad seems like a gimmick so far. No games have really used it well. I also reeeeeeeeeeeeeealy dislike the light on the back of the controller. It's way to bright on the lowest setting and rarely serves a purpose that the screen couldn't do. I also dislike that it has a speaker in it. It seems like another gimmick. I also dislike the motion controls.

Xbox1: I only used this at friends/relative's houses so I never got used to it. I always thought it was way too big and I never understood the white and black buttons. I also didn't like the swapping of the joystick and the d-pad.

Xbox360: Like with the Xbox1 controller, I didn't like the swapping of the joystick and the d-pad, but I got used to it after a while. I loved the trigger buttons, but the joystick thing takes away from that.

Kinect: I hated it. Don't get me started.

Xbox1-2: It felt about the same as the 360 controller but slightly larger and heavier. I'm fine with slightly heavier, but slightly larger doesn't work for my hands.

Keyboard and Mouse: It's too complicated for me. It gives the same problem as the N64 controller where I feel like I need more hands. I like having a finger hovering over every possible button location when playing games and that's not possible with a keyboard and mouse. If it's an RTS game or TBS game then I'm ok, but I don't like it.

Keyboard only: Meh. If the game only has a few buttons like just the arrow keys then I'm ok.

Mouse only: Meh.

Handhelds

Gameboy: It was big. It was clunky. It had no color. It was the only option at the time so it had to make due.

Gameboy Color: It was smaller and had color. It still wasn't advanced enough though.

Gameboy Advanced: It is more advanced and added the L and R buttons. 

Gameboy Advanced SP: My favorite handheld because it was the perfect size and I liked that the screen and buttons were in two different places. It also added a backlight that let me play in dark places without any additional accessories.

Gameboy Micro: It was way too small and couldn't play gameboy and gbc games. It was a step down from the SP and GBA in my opinion.

Nintendo DS: I don't really like the touchscreen. The system was a little too big.

Nintendo DS lite:  I don't really like the touchscreen. I liked the size and weight of the system. If it weren't for the touchscreen, this would be tied with the SP for my favorite handheld console.

Nintendo DSi: I don't really like the touchscreen or the camera. It felt really gimmicky and added nothing worthwhile from the previous editions but took away the backwards compatibility. The SD card storage isn't needed in my opinion. This is when Nintendo handhelds started going downhill in my view.

Nintendo 3DS: I don't really like the touchscreen or the or the cameras or the 3d. It feels really gimmicky. It's essentially the same as the DS (but without a GBA) to me because I never put the 3d effect on. Games also started needing patches with the 3DS and the 3DS isn't region free. The "joystick" (if you can call it that) feels very strange.

PS Vita: The front and rear touchscreens, camera, and motion controls are really gimmicky. They're not used in most games and respond poorly in the games that do use them. If it weren't for them, it'd be above the SP for favorite handheld console. The 1000 model has a perfect weight in my opinion and the 2000 is too light. I don't really notice a difference in the screen quality between the two of them. I do like that the vita has joysticks.

Phone: Meh. I'll enjoy playing games where you only have to tap things and grind because I like grinding. A phone's not really a great handheld console though because of the lack of buttons to control things. They can have virtual buttons and joysticks, but it's not the same.

Ds3!

Ds4 is shit and is by no means better..

The rubber on the joysticks wear off

You'll frequently accidentally hit the share button or the touchpad, and the options button and share buttons are too small, and the battery life sucks..oh and the charging port is in a stupid spot..I have to tilt my controller and prop it against something when charging so it doesn't mess up the port because when you sit your controller down flat, it causes resistance on the cord/port and whatever your controller happens to be sitting on

Ds4 is shit and is by no means better..

The rubber on the joysticks wear off

You'll frequently accidentally hit the share button or the touchpad, and the options button and share buttons are too small, and the battery life sucks..oh and the charging port is in a stupid spot..I have to tilt my controller and prop it against something when charging so it doesn't mess up the port because when you sit your controller down flat, it causes resistance on the cord/port and whatever your controller happens to be sitting on

You forgot the big light on the controller that blinds you if you're playing in a room without much lighting. For me the d-pad is extremely painful to use over longer periods of time, and the shoulders on the controller makes my hand hurt after a while too. The sticks sucks as well, not just the rubber wearing off, but they just give me less control. Yes, they are placed further apart, but that has never been an issue for me.

The thing that costs 2 times normal controller at best?

Well, okay, it's your opinion.

The quality is worth that, Sony would probably charge the same price as well(I'm just using Sony as an example). Elite controllers are for making the layout unique to your liking. 

Shit I have to say DualShock 2. Sure it's uncomfortable and awkward to hold, but the memories I made with that fucker are worth it. I grew up on it. I played and beat so many games with it. My older brother and I became the best of friends with it.

Is it weird that I showcase my original DS2 in a glass case?

On the subject of handhelds, I think the Vita is most comfortable for me.

The only thing I don't like about it, is that annoying light on top. I really don't understand why they thought that was a good idea. It's fairly easy to ignore most of the time, but it still occasionally gets on my nerves.

It's there because it is necessary for future PlayStationVR games, so that the PlayStation camera can track the location of the game-pad. 

I found the Dualshock 4 to be much more comfortable compared to the previous ones (they were maybe comfortable when you were like 10-12 or have smaller hands).  It doesn't feel like it's cheap either, the previous ones always felt "cheap" to me.

I think the Vita is the most comfortable handheld.  And everything is one thing, it isn't trying to be a DS with 2 screens.  It also doesn't hurt my eyes like the 3DS does (I have a 2DS for this reason - even with the 3D off on the 3DS, you still kind of see where the 3D is meant to be and that's what hurts my eyes.. I hate how awkward the thing is to hold though).

I honestly adore the Dualshock 4 it's just a shame it's such a shoddy product, face buttons stick easily, analogue sticks break and make character movement a nightmare, triggers becoming sticky, jamming down etc. Touchpad not being sensitive enough on one of my controllers

Other than technical issues, it's a fantastic controller and feels amazing

It's there because it is necessary for future PlayStationVR games, so that the PlayStation camera can track the location of the game-pad.

That makes sense, but it doesn't explain why we don't have the option to turn it off when not playing games that don't need it.

• Like 1

That makes sense, but it doesn't explain why we don't have the option to turn it off when not playing games that don't need it.

Maybe they didn't anticipate that people would be bugged by it and there simply isn't a switch in the DS4's circuitry that would allow you to turn it off completely?

I honestly adore the Dualshock 4 it's just a shame it's such a shoddy product, face buttons stick easily, analogue sticks break and make character movement a nightmare, triggers becoming sticky, jamming down etc. Touchpad not being sensitive enough on one of my controllers

Other than technical issues, it's a fantastic controller and feels amazing

Really? I've had none of these issues! I have stuck some tough thumbstick-caps over the sticks though, because I felt the tops were a little too small. 

Deffinately the Dualshock 4. The touch pad is a great addition unless games decide to use it for actual gameplay. It's great because every edge gives you an extra button for options, thats why I like it! I dont really care for it if I have to wipe it to do actions.

Sharebutton is easy to use. Only bad thing I can think of is that the back buttons L2 and R2 break more easy then DualShock 3.

Edited by LovesAnInjection