What's your favorite franchise per generation?

Pirelli913

What's your favorite franchise for each generation? I started playing games in the third generation, but didn't own a console until the fourth generation.

Fourth gen: Sonic the Hedgehog

Fifth gen: Tomb Raider

Sixth gen: Splinter Cell

Seventh gen: Mass Effect

Eighth gen (so far): The Witcher 3

For those curious, a generation lasts as long as consoles/games are made for it. Here's a rundown:

First gen (1975-1977)

Second gen (1976-1992)

Third gen (1983-1995): 8-bit

Fourth gen (1987-1999): 16-bit

Fifth gen (1993-2006): 32- and 64-bit

Sixth gen (1998-2013)

Seventh gen (2005-present)

Eighth gen (2012-present)

• Like 1

Hmm, for Sixth Generation I'd have to say Fatal Frame or Obscure. Probably Obscure despite only having two games

Seventh Generation is a mash between the Fallout reboot franchise or Uncharted

Eight generation, is difficult because there really aren't a lot of games that have had multiple entries, but I would go with the Final Fantasy franchise. Tonnes of remakes and re-releases but Type-0 was decent, XIV is better than WoW and XV looks like it could be fantastic. Also all the re-releases are perfection

Well, here is my list of the favorite games through the generations

• Second Generation: - Atari 2600: Space Invaders
  • Fourth Generation: - SEGA: Genesis: Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Sixth Generation: - Playstation 2: Star Wars Battlefront 2
  • Seventh Generation: - Playstation 3: Hyperdimension Neptunia
  • Eight Genearation: - Playstation 4: Disgaea 5 (for now)
  • Like 1

First gen (1975-1977) Nothing

Second gen (1976-1992) The Legend of Zelda

Third gen (1983-1995): 8-bit Final Fantasy

Fourth gen (1987-1999): 16-bit Mario

Fifth gen (1993-2006): 32- and 64-bit while not a franchise i have to put skies of arcadia followed by final fantasy since this is before the decline

Sixth gen (1998-2013) Super smash bro's

Seventh gen (2005-present) tie between the elder scroll's and Xenoblade

Eighth gen (2012-present) early to say but yet again after 8.5 year's of crap Final Fantasy

Despite having played 3rd and 4th generation consoles I was too young for it to really count. :P

5th Generation (PlayStation) - Monster Rancher 

6th Generation (PS2) - Dynasty Warriors (even though the first game was made during the 5th gen the franchise was changed in a big way)

7th Generation (PS3) - Uncharted 

8th Generation (PS4) - Nothing yet. :P

1st: Pong

2nd: Missile Command

3rd: Super Mario Bros

4th: Final Fantasy

5th: Tombi!

6th: idk, maybe Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Grand Theft Auto and ICO

7th: Souls

8th: ???

Honestly though, my fav gen is 5th.

Second gen (1976-1992) The Legend of Zelda
Third gen (1983-1995): 8-bit Final Fantasy

Zelda is third gen, because NES pretty much started third gen after crash of second gen! :P

A likely candidate for second gen would have to come from Atari 2600 for example.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

Here's my rules, or the rules that defined my choices anyway.

1. To be my favorite franchise for a generation, the series has to have AT LEAST four really really good games that I have played the balls out of released in that generation.

2. The series didn't have to originate from the generation it was the favorite in, it just has to be the favorite during that time period.

3. Compilations or re-releases are allowed, so long as I have have paid for and played for a legal version of it, no emulators allowed.

For each franchise I'll also put in the chosen 4 games that I think best represent the series / are my favorite, the system they were originally for, and where I first played them. First being the best, second being second, third third, you get it.

Third: Mario Bros

> Super Mario Bros (Originally for Nintendo Entertainment System, first *legally* played on Wii)

> Mario Bros (Originally released in arcades, first *legally* played on Game Boy Advance)

> Wario Land (Originally for Game Boy, first played on Game Boy)

> Super Mario Kart (Originally for Nintendo Entertainment System, first played on Wii U)

Fourth: Sonic the Hedgehog

(My first time with all of these was a PS2 compilation disc of Sonic so I've only put the system they were originally for)

> Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Originally for Mega Drive)

> Sonic the Hedgehog (Originally for Mega Drive)

> Sonic CD (Originally Mega Drive CD)

> Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Originally Master System)

Fifth: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

> Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (Originally multiplatform, first played on PlayStation 2)

> Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (Originally for PlayStation, first played on PlayStation)

> Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 (Originally multiplatform, first played on PlayStation 2)

> Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (Originally for PlayStation, first played on PlayStation)

Sixth: Grand Theft Auto

> Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (Originally released for PlayStation 2, first played on PlayStation 2)

> Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (Originally released for PlayStation 2, first played on PlayStation 2)

> Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (Originally released for PlayStation Portable, first played on PlayStation 2)

> Grand Theft Auto III (Originally released for PlayStation 2, first played on PlayStation 2)

Seventh: Call of Duty

(Although COD is the same shit every year, there's no series I kept going back to in this generation as much as COD)

> Call of Duty: Black Ops (Originally multiplatform, first played on PlayStation 3)

> Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Originally multiplatform, first played on Xbox 360)

> Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Originally multiplatform, first played on PlayStation 3) ...also my first ever pre-order

> Call of Duty: Ghosts (Originally multiplatform, first played on PlayStation 3)

Eighth: Uncharted

(Though I'd played Uncharted before, I only really got into it in 2012, so...)

> Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Exclusive to PlayStation Vita)

> Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (Originally on PlayStation 3, first played on PlayStation 3)

> Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (Originally on PlayStation 3, first played on PlayStation 3)

> Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (Originally on PlayStation 3, first played on PlayStation 3)

• Like 1

First gen (1975-1977): I don't think I've ever played any video games this old.

Second gen (1976-1992): Space Invaders

Third gen (1983-1995): Galaga, Wolfenstein 3D

Fourth gen (1987-1999): Legacy of Kain, Mortal Kombat, Final Fantasy V, Mortal Kombat

Fifth gen (1993-2006): Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Spyro trilogy, Tekken, The Elder Scrolls II

Sixth gen (1998-2013): Spider-Man 2, Mortal Kombat: Deception, Siren, Red Faction, Metal Gear Solid 3, NFS Most Wanted, COD Finest Hour, Final Fantasy X-2

Seventh gen (2005-present): The Elder Scrolls V, Hyperdimension Neptunia trilogy, COD Black Ops, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, Killzone 2, The Last of Us, Saints Row, Mass Effect

Eighth gen (2012-present): Mortal Kombat X, Samurai Warriors 4, Warframe, TLOU Remastered, Diablo III

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I think it's a good time to resurrect this thread as we're moving towards a new generation of consoles, and people have played more gen 8 games.

For me it goes like this:

3rd gen: Super Mario Bros (1-3)

4th gen: Sonic the Hedgehog (1-2, haven't played 3 yet)

5th gen: Crash Bandicoot (1-3 and CTR)

6th gen: Metal Gear Solid (2-3)

7th gen: don't even know, it was kinda underwhelming. I need to play more games, but for now I guess it's Ratchet & Clank with its Future sub-series (Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, A Crack in Time and Nexus)

8th gen: I haven't played it on PS4 but I would probably pick Metal Gear Solid V. I'm still a generation behind, so that's that.

Some of those were easy to pick, but a couple of my favourite franchises span across multiple generations, so I had to pick one over the other for gen 5 and 6.

Edited by Alderriz
  • Like 1

On 19/12/2015 at 9:49 AM, Pirelli913 said:

What's your favorite franchise for each generation? I started playing games in the third generation, but didn't own a console until the fourth generation.

Fourth gen: Sonic the Hedgehog

Fifth gen: Tomb Raider

Sixth gen: Splinter Cell

Seventh gen: Mass Effect

Eighth gen (so far): The Witcher 3

For those curious, a generation lasts as long as consoles/games are made for it. Here's a rundown:

First gen (1975-1977)

Second gen (1976-1992)

Third gen (1983-1995): 8-bit

Fourth gen (1987-1999): 16-bit

Fifth gen (1993-2006): 32- and 64-bit

Sixth gen (1998-2013)

Seventh gen (2005-present)

Eighth gen (2012-present)

So, a franchise needs at least two main line games (so I can’t have Astro Bot this gen unfortunately), so:

3rd - Mario

4th - mario

5th - Final Fantasy

6th - Final Fantasy

7th - Elder Scrolls

8th - Dragon Quest Builders

3rd gen- mega man.

4th gen- streets of rage

5th gen- spyro trilogy 

6th gen- g1 jockey or lma manager 

7th gen- three way tie between dynasty warriors, fallout and elderscrolls.

8th gen- dragon quest. 

These are not in chronological order, ps1 was my first generation I played when I was young and anything before that I've only played in compilation collections later on.

Honorable mention- 3ds era fire emblem games because I dont have a single clue what gen they belong to.

This is why I dont have a favourite genre because I play all genres, as evidence from this mess of a list ?

• Like 1