What's your favorite franchise per generation?

Pirelli913

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.  I'm really old, so...

• First Generation:  original Zork (on PDP-8 minicomputer)
  • Second Generation:  Missile Command (on Atari VCS)
  • Third Generation:  Karateka and Autoduel (on Apple II)
  • Fourth Generation:  Marathon (on Mac)
  • Fifth-Sixth Generation:  nothing except work and kids
  • Seventh Generation: Uncharted series (on PS4)
  • Eighth Generation: Hitman (probably) (on PS4)
  • Like 1

First gen: - 

Second gen: - 

Third gen: Super Mario Bros 

Fourth gen: Mega Man X 

Fifth gen: The Legend of Zelda 

Sixth gen: God of War 

Seventh gen: Dark Souls 

Eighth gen: still Dark Souls and Souls-like games.. 

Edited by Cyberdyne-7

• 11 months later...

Fifth Generation: Spyro The Dragon (Spyro The Dragon, Ripto's Rage, and Year of The Dragon)

The first two games in this franchise were super impactful on my early childhood, with the original game specifically being one of the very first games I ever played, and shaped my love for platformers - my favorite genre - that I still adore and enjoy to this day. (Year of The Dragon I didn't play until a bit later, and initially didn't appreciate it as much, but I've come to appreciate it for similar reasons to the first two all the same) 

I admittedly still enjoyed some of the games that came afterwards to varying degrees (i.e Season of Flame) despite the roller coaster of quality that both this series and Crash Bandicoot endured after the original PlayStation era, but nothing ever came close to these three in terms of their charm and replayability.

- - -

Sixth Generation: The Legend of Zelda (A Link to The Past, Majora's Mask, The Wind Waker, Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, and The Minish Cap)

While I had been exposed to this franchise during the previous generation, and both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask remain to this very day as two of the most personally impactful games I've ever played, it wasn't until this generation that my interest in this series exploded resulting in me playing various new and old games, and securing this franchise as my favorite video game franchise of all time

- - -

Seventh Generation: Ratchet & Clank (Ratchet & Clank, Going Commando, Up Your Arsenal, Deadlocked, Tools of Destruction, A Crack in Time, and Into The Nexus)

Much like with The Legend of Zelda, I had been exposed to this franchises a generation prior and enjoyed it quite a bit, but it was during the following generation that I fell in love with it thanks to the remasters of the older games and the brand new games released on the PlayStation 3. While I prefer Insomniac's previous work with the original three Spyro games over any of my favorite Ratchet titles, the latter series has been far more consistent in both quality and releases than its predecessor. The humor is always top-notch, the characters are super memorable, the later games look incredible, and the weapons and overall combat-loop is probably the most addictive thing I've ever played. lol 

- - -

Eighth Generation: Crash Bandicoot (N. Sane Trilogy, It's About Time, and Nitro-Fueled)

This is a franchise that I had gotten into around the same time as Spyro and have loved almost equally ever since, but the recent revival during this generation really resonated with me and I've enjoyed my time with the remakes and It's About Time quite a bit despite some of my frustrations with them in terms of difficulty or things sometimes feeling a tad unfair. (i.e The hitboxes in N. Sane)

I was even surprised by how much time I put into Nitro-Fueled because, while I knew I would enjoy it, and felt nostalgic for the original, I still thought that I would only end up playing through the Adventure Mode and bit and then never touch it again, Ended up putting several hundred hours into anyways, so that's cool I guess. ?

Edit: Going to keep editing this because my thoughts are all jumbled right now. lol
(Didn't realize how old this thread was before posting either, oops...)

Edited by Zephrese