Lag and Freeze?

CrimsonFalzar

So I've been playing fallout NVUE for about a week straight no life-ing the shit outta it but all of a sudden im getting such a massive lag out of no were and when the lag isn't there my game freezes randomly for no reason its not the disc i bought it new and its starting to urk me to the point i have to keep getting up to restart my ps3 every 10 minutes -_- Is there a fix to this? 
Also to note the whole week I've played i haven't had this issue it just recently started today idk why.

Edited by ChastityFail

What size is your save file?  It's prone to lag and freezing over a certain size (10mb I believe)

Turn autosave off, clear the cache (L2, R2 and Square simultaneously as the game is loading) and make new saves whenever you need to save is my best advice.  It won't eliminate it completely but it should reduce it a little.

Edited by gaiainruin
  • Like 2

What size is your save file?  It's prone to lag and freezing over a certain size (10mb I believe)

Turn autosave off, clear the cache (L2, R2 and Square simultaneously as the game is loading) and make new saves whenever you need to save is my best advice.  It won't eliminate it completely but it should reduce it a little.

when u clear the cache is there anything telling you its clear ? and im only about 6 ... this sucks im not even half way through the main story

when u clear the cache is there anything telling you its clear ? and im only about 6 ... this sucks im not even half way through the main story

I don't think it does, I forgot to mention that you need to press it after the anti-save file corruption message and trophy loading messages have disappeared and then hold until you reach the loading screen.

Are you doing one of the DLC packs by any chance?  As Lonesome Road is known for being the most laggy

The game is a technical mess. It gets worse the larger your save file is. Good luck getting through all the DLC on one file. I did. But I saved Lonesome Road for last and the first part of it was almost literally unplayable. It's a great game and I spent a lot of time with it, but there's not much you can do. Some areas are more prone to lag/freeze, I would say definitely in and around New Vegas itself, or really any of the more populated areas.

This game was nothing but a nuisance. The freezing in this game is basically un fucking real.

Just imagine the guys testing this game. They're all like, meh, this game runs good enough, it only freezes once in a while. Totally ready to push this out at the market for 60USD.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

I plat'd the game a few months back and had some freezing issues and lagging but nothing making the game unplayable. Even did all the DLC. I did use the cache clearing technique every time I played. My save file was only around 7mb-8mb. I think it depends on your HDD, save file size, the age of your PS3 and luck I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

What you are describing is the same thing as what happens in Fallout 3 and also in some cases - Skyrim.

It's a product of complex game being played on a system that can't handle it very well once it reaches a certain threshold.

All three are still fantastic games though and well worth playing if you can toggle about with the settings to reduce the sticky laggy bits.

• 2 months later...

This might be a bit late, but what caught my attention was Crispy_Oglop's comment about this being similar to what we experience in Skyrim.

For some reason, deleting all sent and received messages seems to do the trick with Skyrim. After I tried that (can't recall where I read that tip) the game hasn't stopped once. I'm not sure if it affected lagging in a significant way, but at least the game stopped freezing every now and then. Might be worth a shot?

This might be a bit late, but what caught my attention was Crispy_Oglop's comment about this being similar to what we experience in Skyrim.

For some reason, deleting all sent and received messages seems to do the trick with Skyrim. After I tried that (can't recall where I read that tip) the game hasn't stopped once. I'm not sure if it affected lagging in a significant way, but at least the game stopped freezing every now and then. Might be worth a shot?

Skyrim was bad, though the only fix I recall having any success with was reducing my environment changes from the start. Close every door, try real hard not to knock stuff around, never leave piles of gear laying about, etc. 

Currently cleaning up my FO:NV plat and honestly, I thought people were over-exagurating on the lag problem. I realize now, this is the most lag heavy game I've ever played. Like OP states, sometimes freezing 10-20 minutes into the game, constantly having to restart the PS3. Load something, and the game goes into a crippling 1 frame per 3 seconds slowdown. You're lucky to get into the pause menu for a save before it freezes completely.

Josh Sawyer, from the FO:NV team said this:

The longer you play a character, the more bit differences on objects (characters, pencils on tables, containers, etc.) get saved off and carried around in memory. I think we've seen save games that are pushing 19 megs, which can be really crippling in some areas...It's an engine-level issue with how the save game data is stored off as bit flag differences compared to the placed instances in the main .esm + DLC .esms. As the game modifies any placed instance of an object, those changes are stored off into what is essentially another .esm. When you load the save game, you're loading all of those differences into resident memory.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think I messed my file up, I was like 80 hours into the game, seeing how I kind of liked the game so far besides the occasional freeze and to be able to level up to level 50, I downloaded all 4 dlc's, damn, after that my game has been unplayable

I regret spending all them funds on it now

only solution I have been seeing is not letting your file get to big, but too late for that now, it 9902 KB

Not sure if deleting my dlc would help or whether to start from an early save and just play through the game fast

Would like to know how others who experience this handled it, and if anybody has found a solution that helped them, I'd appreciate the advice

I can recall before getting rid of all my dlc for the game that anyone I created would have a hard time going through the great khans area as well as new vegas strip as well as during the mission you'll know it when it happens. I am amazed that my level 50 character even made through the dlc unscathed until I beat the major four dlc. I suggest downloading the dlc individually and getting rid of them when your done. I like three of them but just having one will cause the evil lags to show up quickly.

• Like 1