It begins No open world for FF7:Remake

Daniel_Shadow170

When you say "no open world"...do you mean traveling around the overworld?

They haven't released details about what "no open world" means yet. For all we know, it could be like FFXIII where that technically isn't open world but you can still roam Pulse as much as you want at the end.

Edited by kuuhaku

@kuuhaku

That's exactly my point. FFVII wasn't near as linear of an experience as FFXIII and to redesign it to more closely resemble that is making it into something that it simply wasn't in the first place. There are ways to modernize the game while leaving its identity intact...things like altering the overworld traveling definitely compromises that IMO.

I don't want FF7 to have an open world/sandbox. I'm glad that they're not doing open world. The original didn't have that either, so don't force it into it. Open world doesn't mean world map. It means non-linear sandbox, like Skyrim, Dragon Age, or even the recent FF15. I want a linear story like the original.

The new battle system is required. The old one works great, in its own environment. It wouldn't work well in the new one. If they can combine the new one with elements of the old that would be great. The Materia system should remain the same, but I'm open minded and something fresh could be great.

The voice acting will be decent at best, but Japanese developers couldn't write normal dialogue if their life depended on it, so the moaning, grunting, and sighing will probably just make me want to mute it. The only dialogue that's good is, in my experience, Metal Gear Solid (and even that can get heavy handed). Looking at Tales games, Final Fantasy 13 (ugh), and even the new Final Fantasy 15, the dialogue is often cringe worthy and extremely forced, anime-ish, and overly dramatic. If I see one more guy clench his fist really hard while screaming "I won't let you get away with this!", or guys with impossible hair say their attacks out loud for no reason other than to alert the enemy of what's coming, I'll do a backflip in my living room.

The episodic thing disappoints me because it feels less like a true AAA release that way, and more like a digital-only afterthought. I'll judge that when I see it. I know the Walking Dead was cool in episodic, but that still struck me as a PSN title; not a full-fledged commercial release (a-la MGS 5, GTA 5, FF15, etc).

Maybe FF7 remake will be great. Maybe the announcement was the greatest thing about it. I don't know. I hope they no longer say anything about it because otherwise people will just nag, bitch, and moan it to death. I'm sorry, but if people wanted FF7 exactly the same with better textures then they don't want the true FF7 experience. FF7 revolutionized JRPGs back in 1997, and it should do that again in 2017. If it would be the exact same game with updated sprites then I'd feel like I'm playing a fan mod.

I don't understand the anger with people sometimes. If it's not what you want, then don't buy it. It's a simple thing. We have the original on PS4 now.

It's not anger, it's disappointment and annoyance.

This is a remake, not a remaster. Do I think it will be perfect? Nope. I don't see why they are doing this episodic shit, but I'll still get it as it's something I've wanted for ages....and it may be refreshing.

But are you getting something you've wanted for ages? If yes, then good on you, but I'm quite skeptical about if I will be getting what I've and a lot of others have been wanting. Why are they doing this remake? Are they just trying to appeal to new users and hope the old fans will just buy because of the brand name? Unfortunately, I think this is their mind set.

So many people get mad when a remaster comes out, "oh it's just better graphics" and "PS4, the home of all your PS3 games with sharper graphics". Now when a company goes and changes it up, people go ape shit still.

You know you will buy it, you know you will play it. So it may not be what you want, but it's still gonna have strong points.

As I said, the original is still there....

They could have done much more than just better graphics and without people flipping out. They could have extended the story. Added new secrets and side quests. Included some new bosses. Easter Eggs etc. They could have done all these small cool things, and then it wouldn't have felt like a cheap HD remake. Had they redone all the character and enemy models, so they weren't blocky anymore. Redone the background images and maybe made it 3D. If they insist on having stuff voiced, they could of course do that, but I wouldn't have cared all that much either way, but it would be cool if they voiced the main cast and main events etc. Not too fuzzy about most people you talk to while exploring a city. Maybe they could have made the battle system look a bit more fluid, without actually changing it at all. Maybe done some small tweaking to some stats and fixed glitches and bugs etc. Better translation in some parts of the game. The overworld could have looked much better. etc etc etc They could have done a lot of stuff to improve the game, and it honestly wouldn't have cost them much to make the game either. Now they're going full-on with big budget and it's not anything like what I wanted.

Man, Square should just call up Sakaguchi and the old FF team or at least, the Mistwalker team. I would love to see them take on the franchise again. 

You wish, but Sakaguchi probably won't ever do that. All because of that movie, eh? :\

It was kind of obvious there wasn't going to be an overworld, or at least not the same as we know it. Just think about it, how huge would the game be if they were to do it, and the fact that they are doing it by episodes.....I bet they'll just connect every section with a little nice outer areas an focus more on the towns/enviroments.

Ni No Kuni did overworld just fine... It's not hard at all, and probably wouldn't have cost them much whatsoever compared to what they are actually going to do. They're just ashamed of it.

So far, the only thing I like about this is the battle system, thank god they decided not to do it turn-based. I hope the game turns out ok, but I'm not really expecting anything from it.

It's a bit like if Nintendo decided to remake The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and they saw the most selling games these days were those with guns, so they decided to swap the sword out with a gun...

This is why they ported the original FF VII

They now have creative freedom to do what they think is right with the remake, and if it ends up being terrible, the original is available on PS4 to play instead.

Sure, but the game, at least I would want, wouldn't have been that expensive as what they're going for now, which I don't want. :\

Hating on stuff that isn't released yet is hating for hates sake. Also, I advocated ignoring, I don't see how that is attacking the poster.

What they meant was that instead of addressing the things the poster said, show how he's just hating for the sake of it, you instead went to argue against the person. Not sure you actually did an ad-hominem here, but it's more like poisoning the well.

• Like 1

I don't understand why people are upset about the open world details.

No one can pass any form of solid judgement considering we don't know a huge amount about what they intend here. But if I was to speculate - this isn't exactly a deal breaker by any means.

There was nothing memorable about the open world in FF7 bar getting a Gold Chocobo and driving it everywhere.

The only truly memorable aspects of FF7 were in the characters, the story and the actual locations. If these are done well, who gives a crap if there isn't a huge expansive open world to traverse.

An open world in any game doesn't determine whether it is going to be a good game or not. If you want a sandbox game go play the Just Cause games.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop

Square Enix knows how much the world cares about Final Fantasy games, especially VII. The last mistake they made (with FFXIV), they literally re-released the whole game with a completely new director. Calm down people, the remake will be fine.

So, you say because they screwed up so big they had to redo an entire game, we should be reassured they won't screw this one up too? :S Let's talk about FFXIII too...

You want the complete original with no changes? Then play the motherfucking original, don't play the new one and stop complaining.

I don't think anyone was asking for the exact same game. They could have done a lot cool stuff with the game, and it didn't even need to be all that expensive either, without changing the game fundamentally. See one of my earlier posts for more detailed explanation.

Just saying, IF, FF7 remake doesn't have an open world and is more streamlined and story driven, I'd be stoked. Since I'm still unsure about jumping in on the game and don't want to be faced with too huge a world, I'd be fine with a more direct approach.

I'm guessing this means you haven't played the original game? It's not like you're thrown into a huge world and you have to worry about where to go and what to do. You start in a city and follow the story there where you eventually unlock a small part of the city and later a building. After that you're thrown onto the world map, where you basically only can go one or two places, and it's not a huge area you can actually walk around on etc. Most of the time, you go from one town to another. The further in the game you get, the more of the world map you unlock, and it's always rather obvious where you should go. There is one exception to this in FF7 though, but it's basically a part of the story for you to find it, and you're told where it is.

In any case, your worries have never been an issue in the game.

We barely know anything about the remake yet people are already jumping on proclaiming it's going to be bad or that FFVII is ruined.  I feel that whatever decisions that Square Enix make with regard to the remake, the fans won't be happy.  Stick to the original if you're not happy with the changes.  It's that simple.

What we do know is that they're changing some of the fundamental things that made the game good in the first place, and they're going for the things that has turned many of us off from the newer games. That's the big problem for a lot of us. See one of my earlier posts for a good chunk of things they could have done with the game without pissing off a lot of fans who wanted this remake to happen in the first place.

• Like 1

'Remake' means to make something into a different form... to make a new or a different version of a previous thing.

This should not come as such a shock. The wording hasn't changed.

Right from the beginning at E3 in big capital letters we saw the word 'REMAKE' on the screen.

We know it will be different, but let us wait until it is out first before we make judgement.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

Taking into consideration everything that the original game offered, I'm still in relative agreement that completely recreating the damn thing with all the modern bells and whistles would probably push it past the size of a Blu-Ray.  Hell FFXIII, right or wrong, was a 60gb download on PC... and that game has half the content and is linear as *#^%.  So that part of it never really bothered me.

Most of the reason for this is the graphics and pre-rendered videos etc. They didn't need to do everything they're doing now.

As for the lack of an open world and people's disappointment thus far... unless it was a point for point recreation of the game with some mild graphical improvements, there was absolutely no chance of people not being disappointed by this.  I'd wager if they released the game with higher resolution backdrops and voice acting, and nothing else changed, people would want Square's head on a pike for ruining their image of certain characters because of their voices (I'm pretty sure that happened with Advent Children actually lol).  Change is change, people are scared of it.  Nothing new.  The sky is falling, everyone is out to get you, blah blah blah.  That's basically been the gamers MO since this latest generation of kids were old enough to get into the forums.

They could have done an overworld just fine. And yes, people would be complaining about voice actors, but this could be avoided by just having an option to turn off voices and just see text.

If you want the original game, it's still out there.  They've been re-re-re-re-releasing it for years now.  You can even play it and get trophies, and it looks a little nicer.  The PC version even has mods.  Personally, I'm interested in seeing where they go with it.  A FFVII that focuses more on the characters, the story and making every town, city and settlement look more spectacular than the last... and less on grinding out levels outside Nibelheim or spending a half hour wading through random encounters walking on rails from town to town for the first half of the game... could be fun.  Or maybe it'll suck, I dunno.  I'll probably check out some reviews before diving in head first.  If you don't like it though, don't buy it, don't play it.  Just stop complaining every step of the way, ffs.

People have been whining about a remake for a long time, but I also know a lot of people have been skeptical about the current Square doing it, long before it was even announced. I gave some examples earlier of what they could have done with the game without fundamentally changing it.

Why should I stop saying they aren't doing the game many of us who wanted them to do. While I don't expect them to do everything like what I want, what they're currently going for is nowhere near.

Wow some ppl must have deep connections when they really already played the game. I mean rating it with 7/10 ? hm how many hours have you played it?

Ok  ... serious now .  I dont understand how ppl start hating on a game that isnt even close to release? Is it just to hate on something?  Now i understand why SE said so many times they will not make a ff7 release .... because what ever they do , ppl just see the bad things.

People complained because they will never see a remake.

Now SE changed their mind and making a ff7 REMAKE** and ppl still complain .  

So many games use "open world" to the limit , i get bored so quickly on new games when i see huge areas filled with nothing .  Open world is overrated and im sure SE find a better way . 

**(damn its not a remaster, why some ppl dont see the difference )

Because many of the people who wanted this remake to happen and has asked for it for so long, doesn't want what they're currently planning on making. It's like they finally gave in to the demand, but aren't actually going to fill that demand, but rather aim it at some totally different user base. :(

'Remake' means to make something into a different form... to make a new or a different version of a previous thing.

This should not come as such a shock. The wording hasn't changed.

Right from the beginning at E3 in big capital letters we saw the word 'REMAKE' on the screen.

We know it will be different, but let us wait until it is out first before we make judgement.

You mean final judgement? You can already judge and speculate into what the game will be like based on the information they give. Sure, the game might end up being decent, good or even great, but it still wouldn't be what people have been asking about for so long. We already know it isn't. They've already planned and done changes (judging by footage), that is comparable to swapping out Link's sword with a gun in Ocarina of Time, and make it a first person shooter. It might be a good game, but it's not what a lot of people have been asking about.

My apologies, but I absolutely abhor opinions of this type. This "no, you" culture has just got to stop, but I digress.

Urgh, yeah. It's like people saying it's okay with tons of DLCs and season passes in all games, and tons of micro transactions in your fully priced game, because that's what people do nowadays.

To be honest I just wanted FF7 redone with new environments, the same open world, fairly non-linear story progression, turn-based combat, etc.

Yeah, me too. Perhaps add some extra stuff, make small improvements all around etc, see one of my earlier comments for more stuff. :o But basically, just leave the game as it is, and do upgrades to it all around. Don't mess around with what people who liked the game generally liked about it.

I actually forgot one thing related to the non-open-worldness.

How would you put open world into episodic release?

They need to ensure people won't wander into a bug zone.

This was done just fine in the FF games for PS1. You couldn't just go everywhere all the time.

Edited by MMDE

...every armchair game designer spitting their e-dummy out about every little thing, by the time they finish making this game they will be sorry they ever tried.

The professional creators of games have a better idea of how to make a game than a bunch of impossible-to-please fanboys.

The fact that so many people agree with this vitriol speaks volumes.

Most of the reason for this is the graphics and pre-rendered videos etc. They didn't need to do everything they're doing now.

They could have done an overworld just fine. And yes, people would be complaining about voice actors, but this could be avoided by just having an option to turn off voices and just see text.

People have been whining about a remake for a long time, but I also know a lot of people have been skeptical about the current Square doing it, long before it was even announced. I gave some examples earlier of what they could have done with the game without fundamentally changing it.

Why should I stop saying they aren't doing the game many of us who wanted them to do. While I don't expect them to do everything like what I want, what they're currently going for is nowhere near.

Clearly this isn't just a remake anymore, it's a re-envisioning of the game (from a mechanical perspective anyways).  That is the game they want to make.  Maybe that isn't the game you want.  Taking the hyperdramatic "I'm the worlds biggest FFVII superfan and anything that happens that I don't like will spoil EVERYTHING related to any iteration of the game for me" idea out of the equation, games I don't want get made all the time.  I'm not sure how many different threads/ways you guys need to express this before you move on?

The fact that so many people agree with this vitriol speaks volumes.

Why does this matter?  From a business perspective, it'd make sense to listen to their FFVII purist demographic.  From a creative perspective, the one that matters, I'm not sure why they should care.

Edited by FrecLognAizeW
  • Like 1

That's the thing though, you and many others wanted it to stay the same, just better graphics. However, others dreaded the thought of it being turn-based again as it's "retro". They will never please everyone with this game.

Yeah, some people would probably want a different battle system, but are there really many of those who has been asking for this game to be remade? :S

The old fans are still being catered too....they are making the game a reality after years of them saying it wont be happening. The whole reason it's being changed up, is cause it's a remake not a remaster.

The childhood memories can still live on with the original, which is on PS4 now for us to enjoy. All people are trying to say in this thread is, give the game a chance. This could still turn out to be amazing and what we have all wanted. At least give it a chance to come out before you start getting disappointed and or annoyed.

I think you're right about this. They aim for the same people as they have with their latest games, and hope the name alone sells it to the fans of the original game. Not exactly happy about this. And yes, it could turn out to be a great game, but it still wouldn't be what a lot of us wanted from this. :\ It feels a bit like remaking Ocarina of Time as a FPS shooter game

Just be happy it's getting made.

Why? If it's not what I want, why should I be happy about it? It's kinda frustrating and disappointing to be honest.

You didnt like Dirge of Cerberus? thats sad. There is a lot of good background story to ff7 in the game.

I got the game, but never gotten any far in it. You know why? I didn't really like to play the game. I should probably try to play it again, but they quite literally turned it into a third person shooter game.

Why does this matter?  From a business perspective, it'd make sense to listen to their FFVII purist demographic.  From a creative perspective, the one that matters, I'm not sure why they should care.

You completely misunderstood why I made that comment; I did so because rather than disagree with me using logic and reason, the poster I quoted instead opted to engage in personal attacks and belittle the character of those who dare to have another opinion. I'm not above making disparaging remarks myself, but I must stress I find it beneath myself to flame others over a game. Moreover, the fact people liked the classless remarks made says a lot about them as people -- that was my point.

You completely misunderstood why I made that comment; I did so because rather than disagree with me using logic and reason, the poster I quoted instead opted to engage in personal attacks and belittle the character of those who dare to have another opinion. I'm not above making disparaging remarks myself, but I must stress I find it beneath myself to flame others over a game. Moreover, the fact people liked the classless remarks made says a lot about them as people -- that was my point.

Oh, fair enough.  I misread.  Thought you were making a "since everyone agrees to hate the remake, we must be right" kind of point.

Edited by FrecLognAizeW

1. There are multiple reasons for remakes, and slavish devotion to an existing game design is one of them - but not applicable in tis case when the original is easily available, cheaply on the same system.

2. A sea of complains will hit their ears regardless of how good it is. Thats what gamers do - complain.

3. Being 'afraid' of how a game turns out is not a valid reason for acting like armchair designers. Square are making a product. Either buy it or don't. But unless you are on the design team you have no entitlement to be kept informed of design/development decisions.

4. A game - like all products - is worth what people will pay for it. If the devs decide to charge a thousand dollars for the game, and people pay it? Then that is what it is worth. Thats how capitalism works. Your argument makes no sense, as you are claiming to care so much about this game that you are 'afraid' about how it miht turn out, but also act like an increase in price would stop you buying it.

1. Point given.

2. You're generalizing way too much. Some of us may find faults at a game sometimes, but that doesn't mean everyone goes to complain and be mad about every single thing. Don't start thinking all of us are like kids seeking attention. That aside, it's impossible that a game appeals to everyone, so there are bound to get some complains. It has been that way since...well, ever?

3. While some still are mad about the battle mechanics stuff or in this case, the open world. Most people just don't want this game be episodic, because they simply don't want to pay much more for a story that was already told to them. After that new came out, I saw a huge people start complaining, and it has went downhill ever since. A big bad first impression that caused a chain reaction. As for being kept in the dark regarding development decisions, you can go and tell Square Enix that, or pretty much most of the other companies. Every company has their policy.

4. I know that, but I think you missed the point of this part. First, I never said I cared too much about this game in the first place, I'm simply voicing out what a notable part of complains related to this game are directed at, and why some people have been keeping complaining on other FF7 Remake news because of that, like this thread.

An increase in price might stop me from buying this game when I cared for it? Yes, this can happen, and it makes complete sense. Taking capitalism definition as you said at the beginning, a videogame for Ps3 or Ps4 costs around 60 bucks no matter the genre. I might buy some DLC later on which might increase this price, however, said DLC might not cut too much regarding the game. In short, I still get a "mostly complete" game overall by about 45-60 bucks. On the console market, particularly, the Ps4 or Xone, where this game will launch, it is expected to be the same price, whether devs like it or not.

Remember Star Wars Battlefront? This might be similar or worse. Take a look at what Gamestop did.

People thought it was too much to pay 60 bucks, for the game had been cut of content most likely.

Let's get back to FF7 and take a look at what some of the news are:

"It will be in parts and every part will make a complete game."

And apparently, the story will remain largely the same.

So what are people afraid of, and more importantly, what might put them off? That this game is going to be cut in it's core content and if I want to enjoy the complete stuff, I might be charged with waaaay more than 60 bucks.

That's their first reaction, hence the complains.

I am not liking the sound of this personally as it sounds like what DmC is to the original DMC games and that was NOT good, all they really had to do was give the game some nicer graphics, add more story/back story, bosses, secret areas, new locations and quests, could have tweaked the battle system using something similar to Legend of Dragoon and that's not even mentioning the episodic(be different if they just meant multi-disc) or the possible changes to certain parts like sector 5 which I don't like the sounds of.

• Like 1

Let's get back to FF7 and take a look at what some of the news are:

"It will be in parts and every part will make a complete game."

And apparently, the story will remain largely the same.

So what are people afraid of, and more importantly, what might put them off? That this game is going to be cut in it's core content and if I want to enjoy the complete stuff, I might be charged with waaaay more than 60 bucks.

That's their first reaction, hence the complains.

Why can't people look at it from the perspective of whether or not each release is worth the money?  If it all boils down to the story and the fact you already know it, then why are you clamoring for a remake in the first place?

I thought it was obvious straight off the bat from when the game was announced that it wasn't going to be the same as the original :dunno:

I didn't play the original, but kudos to Squeenix for reviving a previous title that they could've completely ignored. It's sad to see their efforts being bashed years before the game is even released, I'm hoping they pull it off even with all the changes.

I'm hoping some of you guys accept my opinion, considering I haven't played the original. Be gentle plox

Why can't people look at it from the perspective of whether or not each release is worth the money?  If it all boils down to the story and the fact you already know it, then why are you clamoring for a remake in the first place?

That is subjective and depends on whether you end up liking the game or not. The price, on the other hand, isn't. Here on USA the great majority of console games of the current gen cost around 60 bucks plus tax.

As for your second question, some people might answer with the "I want to experience it all over again with some new stuff" answer. To each their own.

That is subjective and depends on whether you end up liking the game or not. The price, on the other hand, isn't. Here on USA the great majority of console games of the current gen cost around 60 bucks plus tax.

I love the Uncharted games, but without the third game, you're missing important aspects about Drake's life and relationships.

My point being, as long as each installment starts and ends in a satisfying way, why does it matter that it's spread among several releases?  You'll have a much better idea about whether or not that's the case if you wait until it's released.

As for your second question, some people might answer with the "I want to experience it all over again with some new stuff" answer. To each their own.

You can do that with the $15 PC version and some mods.  I'm not judging why someone would want the remake, but I think logically the amount of indignation when it isn't perfectly to their liking should balance with their reason for wanting it.  You don't NEED the remake to enjoy Final Fantasy VII.

Edited by FrecLognAizeW

My point being, as long as each installment starts and ends in a satisfying way, why does it matter that it's spread among several releases?  You'll have a much better idea about whether or not that's the case if you wait until it's released.

That, my friend, is exactly what I'm hoping for, despite all the stuff being announced regarding this game recently.

How about whether this is affordable for gamers such as myself who have to work and go to school full-time? I can't believe this isn't a bigger issue among the community, though I suppose it does make sense seeing as how the majority of gamers are fairly young and don't have much in the way of responsibility (read: financially).

Splitting the game into "episodes" only says to me that Square-Enix is aiming to maximize revenue at the expense of consumers' wallets. This to me just isn't very practical for the consumer. It does, however, make perfect sense for the publisher. Will this be good for gaming? I really don't think so, but I suppose I should be quiet and wait to complain until after the game is released, because reasons.

• Like 1

That, my friend, is exactly what I'm hoping for, despite all the stuff being announced regarding this game recently.

Me too.  But I don't see any reason to think it can't or won't be that way, especially with a few years between now and an actual release.

Which is why all the kneejerk doom and gloom is frustrating.

How about whether this is affordable for gamers such as myself who have to work and go to school full-time? I can't believe this isn't a bigger issue among the community, though I suppose it does make sense seeing as how the majority of gamers are fairly young and don't have much in the way of responsibility (read: financially).

Splitting the game into "episodes" only says to me that Square-Enix is aiming to maximize revenue at the expense of consumers' wallets. This to me just isn't very practical for the consumer. It does, however, make perfect sense for the publisher. Will this be good for gaming? I really don't think so, but I suppose I should be quiet and wait to complain until after the game is released, because reasons.

That's what got me is when they said it would become episodic that pissed me off it's due to greed. Funny enough they say it's due to space issue's yet square was talking mad shit about FFXV being the biggest game ever.

Have you managed to buy three games before?  Probably spread over the course of 3-5 years (if the FFXIII series is anything to go by)?  If so, then I wouldn't be too worried.

Maybe it is a ploy to milk their fanbase.  Maybe the games will be outstanding on their own and be worth the price.  I agree that waiting and seeing probably is a good way to accurately make that distinction at this point.

Edited by FrecLognAizeW