Is it worth it?

Kaurhz

Thinking about buying a Vita since I'm a commuter. Just not sure whether the Vita is worth it? Never had experience with portable consoles.

So how well do the games play (control wise, and visually)? Is it worth the niche price tag, and silly Lego bundle, which will, without a doubt get thrown away.

Thanks,

Kaurhz

Yes, what Kurisu said.  Vita is worth it if you are into Japanese games.  It has a lot of them. :) If not really into Japanese games, then don't bother, there isn't a lot of other types of games or that good of ones (others are mainly indie or mainstream games).

• Like 1

but... Lego games are fun... :3

with Controls.. I never have issue with my Vita... probably for new owners, using the touchscreen + buttons + rear pad in one game could take some time to get used to... with Graphics... of course, it could not be better with consoles but in Handheld games... but in portables, it has great graphics... 

tl;dr: yes.

Ehh, Vita has a lot of longer games like JRPG's, personally I find it awkward for commutes as you can't get into the game properly before having to put it down again.

Depending on the length of your commute I would recommend a 3DS as it has more pick-up-and-play titles.

• Like 1

Ehh, Vita has a lot of longer games like JRPG's, personally I find it awkward for commutes as you can't get into the game properly before having to put it down again.

Depending on the length of your commute I would recommend a 3DS as it has more pick-up-and-play titles.

You've clearly never heard of a little game called Taco Master.  :P

• Like 1

That's actually a good point. There are some F2P ones that are good for a quick go on like Run Sackboy Run or Crazy Market, and also some paid indies like BigFest and Taco Master. But overall maybe a 3DS would be better if you're looking into it purely for commutes, as there's lots of short games and even games like Pokemon have the option to save wherever you want so they would be a good fit. 

It is worth it. It has interesting AAA games but those are not in the making for now.

Good RPGs and action games, but the future seems to be JRPGs and Indies. If these aspects interest you, than you have a great Christmas gift.

PS: Give the Lego games a try. I have two and they are fun and have that pick up and play appeal.

bmg_ps.png

That's actually a good point. There are some F2P ones that are good for a quick go on like Run Sackboy Run or Crazy Market, and also some paid indies like BigFest and Taco Master. But overall maybe a 3DS would be better if you're looking into it purely for commutes, as there's lots of short games and even games like Pokemon have the option to save wherever you want so they would be a good fit. 

If so, you can just put the Vita on standby mode. It won't grant you the ability to "save" per se, but it barely drains the console's batteries and as soon as you press the power button again, you'll be right where you left off.

• Like 3

With the 3DS you can buy a flash card and pay much less for your games. I think you can also emulate NES and SNES (I highly doubt about the latter though) if you find one that offers these criteria.

You can also play DS games on it, so it's almost investing in an 2 into 1 or 3 into 1 console if you know what to buy to it. That speaks wonders for variety, and a HUGE gaming catalog at your disposal.

Mostly of what Vita offers in variety can be found on both Ps3 and Ps4, so imo it's not worth paying that much.

If you're only into japanese RPGs, VNs, Indies and some MH games, then go for the Vita. However, the 3DS also offers all of those too.

Vita has a decnet catalog, but if you combine 3DS+DS+NES (if you buy a flash card), then it tops it anytime of the day imo.

Your call.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra
  • Like 1

Some games ported from the PS3 have some bad controls or feels awkward (Jak 3 comes to mind).

If you are wanting to earn some trophies on the road and plan to pick up some JRPGs, this'll be for you.

A New 3DS would get more game support than the Vita, but if you have PS+ or already have a few games in mind to pick up, you might want to go Vita.

It really depends on your loyalty to Sony.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

You don't have to not worry about not having experience with portables with the Vita, because it feels like a last-gen console that's been made mobile.

Personally, I think it's worth it, yes.  The biggest issue for me is lack of big budget games.  The PS store is updated every week with indies and there are loads of Japanese imports, which are great (I would never have experience Persona 4 if not for that) but the retail side of things is basically dead.  If you go to Amazon and look at the upcoming games you will rarely see more than 3-4 games at a time, and most of them are ports of other games.

The controls are fine, visuals are outstanding compared to other handhelds, and there is a ton of digital games worth playing.