Is this game worth it?

Hi, this game is now on sale in the European Store, and I never played, read, or watched anything related to Sherlock Holmes, but I like games like LA Noire where you have to solve mysteries, cases and puzzles, so is this game worth it for me?

Do I need to play, read or watch anything related to Sherlock Holmes to understand the story or is this series similar to Final Fantasy or Silent Hill where you don't necessary need to play the previous games to understand the story of a single game (except in a few occasions)?

Thanks!

You don't need to have any prior Sherlock Holmes knowledge to play this.

It was one of the free PS3 games on PS Plus a few months ago, and I played it to perfect it. To be honest, it's pretty poor; really repetitive, crawls along at a snail's pace.

If you like those kind of mystery solving games, I mean you can go for it if you like. However, coming from L.A. Noire which one perhaps the best of those kinds of games, you'll notice a very significant decrease in quality.

I thought it was pretty good. I also played it when it was on PS+. As far as Sherlock Holmes goes, I've only watched the movies with Robert Downey Jr. It has its charm and the cases, for the most part, are pretty interesting. It is a sequel to at least one other game, but there were only a few references to them from what I gathered, so it's not a big deal. Yeah, it's nowhere near L.A. Noire on a technical level, but it's still an enjoyable experience if that type of game interests you.

I really enjoy games like this, I had played one of their older Sherlock Holmes titles years ago, the Lovecraft one. I thought it was really well done and laid out, the game play just really comes down to deductions though and isn't by any means a difficult game. Its an easy plat, broken into I think 5 separate cases and can be completed in one playtrough. If you like mysteries and puzzles, its worth a look. Sherlock Holmes knowledge is not at all needed, but can deepen appreciation.

You don't need to have any prior Sherlock Holmes knowledge to play this.

It was one of the free PS3 games on PS Plus a few months ago, and I played it to perfect it. To be honest, it's pretty poor; really repetitive, crawls along at a snail's pace.

If you like those kind of mystery solving games, I mean you can go for it if you like. However, coming from L.A. Noire which one perhaps the best of those kinds of games, you'll notice a very significant decrease in quality.

It really wasn't a very good game, I platted it. If you're looking for an easy plat and some fast golds and silvers, its nice for that. There really is no comparison between this game and L.A. Noire.

Both of these sum it up perfectly. Though some might not agree, there is one thing we can ALL agree upon : ONE OF THE WORST LOADINGS EVER. 45+ second loading screens ALL THE TIME.

Thanks to everybody who replied! I have read every comment and my conclusion is that I'm going to get other games first before this then.

It's really cheap right now on the Store (11.99 euros) so if there's some money left in my wallet after I purchased the others then I'm going to give this a chance.

Thanks again!

Trash this game all you like, but the attention to detail in keeping the game character traits canonical with how Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote him is superb. The stacks of newspapers in his study, the fact that he had his unanswered mail attached to the mantel by a dagger, the distinct lack of a deerstalker cap (Holmes is never described as actually wearing one). They even obliquely reference his cocaine habit.

• Like 3

I played the free PS3 version but all the screen tearing and unsteady framerate really turned me off from the game. The characters themselves were really well done though. I finished the first chapter but never went back to it and subsequently deleted it to save some HDD space. 

Edited by Death_Ninja

I really enjoyed the game. I think people who are Sherlock Holmes fans will enjoy it more than those who are not, simply for the fact that they were so respectful towards the source material and true to the original. (And Sherlock Holmes is definitely worth reading!)

It is a slower paced game, so I could overlook the slow load times because I was not in a hurry. I would say that I would not but it full price, but it's definitely worth it on sale.