Am I the only one....?

Alright, Bioware hasn't had a good rep. since the Mass Effect 3 controversy thing and so I tried getting into DA:O ever since I bought it. But is it me or does this game blow? I mean, the combat is shallow and not engaging, the story is so cliche it's laughable, the graphics look poor (I don't usually judge by graphics but I mean, come on!), and the game saves and stops you every 2 goddamn minutes!! :angry: I want to like Dragon Age: Origins but I simply can't. The game is just awful in every meaning of the word IMO.

So, am I the only one who feels this way? Put your opinions below as I would like to see what you liked or didn't. Peace!! B)

Edited by scotty243

I think it was fantastic for the PC but that type of combat system does not translate well to the consoles. Combine that with a poor port and you have a recipe for a bad game. I wasn't a fan of the PS3 version but that may be because I was spoiled on the PC version first.

Parker

I completely agree. I played it for around 5 hours on my old account and despite my best attempts to try and enjoy it; I just couldn't bring myself to play it again. The only thing I actually enjoyed about the game was the characters and the interaction with them, which is what Bioware do best in my opinion - just a shame everything else let the game down for me.

Beat it nine times and bought all the DLC. Stereotypical as it may be, I wanted a game that allowed me to play in a period of swords and shields.. and that's what I paid for.

Also, I played it on Nightmare.. so the combat was more tactical for me.

Edited by Aeirou
  • Like 1

I've played both Mass Effect and Dragon Age, and I love both of them. They are of different eras, so if you played ME first, especially ME2 first, you'll be turned off by the way DA: Origins plays. ME1 had the same flaws, but they tweaked it for ME2 and it paid of in spades.

DA: Origins was meant for PC in terms of combat. I admit, the story can be better but I liked it enough to keep replaying. Especially the Cousland/Human Noble story. The characters could be more fleshed out but hey, it's a heck of a lot better than some other stories out here. I would actually recommend DA2, even if people say it's crap. The story is worst but the combat, the graphics and the party banter is so much better in DA2. The duplicate dungeons are annoying to all hell though.

I've played both Mass Effect and Dragon Age, and I love both of them. They are of different eras, so if you played ME first, especially ME2 first, you'll be turned off by the way DA: Origins plays. ME1 had the same flaws, but they tweaked it for ME2 and it paid of in spades.

DA: Origins was meant for PC in terms of combat. I admit, the story can be better but I liked it enough to keep replaying. Especially the Cousland/Human Noble story. The characters could be more fleshed out but hey, it's a heck of a lot better than some other stories out here. I would actually recommend DA2, even if people say it's crap. The story is worst but the combat, the graphics and the party banter is so much better in DA2. The duplicate dungeons are annoying to all hell though.

Maybe that's why I didn't like DA:O as much, because I've already played the hell out of Mass Effect 2. I like the action approach like in DA2 (from the demo I played) and it was better laid out for myself than DA:O.

Now that I think about it, I think the only reason I bought and played this was I really wanted to be in A Game of Thrones type setting.... Should've just saved my money and bought GoT.... B)

Definitely has framerate problems, but from what I've seen, so does the 360, but on a lesser scale. Also the saving pausing the game entirely can get annoying (the 360 version saves in the background, which is cool). Other than that, it's not a bad game. I'm probably one of the few people that are looking forward to a Dragon Age III coming out.

Edited by gamerm1337

• 1 month later...

I am actually really enjoying this game. very close to the platinum, and all i can say is that i only started enjoying this game around 10 hours in... so out of the 60 hours i have played so far, i really enjoyed 50, You should give it another try, perhaps try another race or class.

The PC version is the one to play if you have a gaming PC but the console version is great too. Dragon Age: Origins is a great RPG. You just need to give it time.It really isn't like Final Fantasy 13 where 30 hours in your like "when will this game become good". The first 3 hours or so may seem slightly boring but things then pick up thanks to the plot and characters. The console controls aren't that great so you might think about playing on Normal or Easy if you've been playing it on harder diffuculties.

I highly enjoyed both Dragon Ages, the first more than the second. Crank up the difficulty to at least Normal, give yourself a challenge.

That's actually one of the reasons this game pissed me off. I'd breeze through an area then the next area, I'd be wiped out in 2 seconds. I actually had to start the game over several times to perfect my character's stats, attributes, etc. The difficulty spiked like CRAZY during certain sections of the game and towards the final battle as well.

Anyways, after I get done with a few games, I'll load this game back up and give it another try. I'll admit, I did like some stuff about the game but all the negative things I found just really sucked the enjoyment of the good out. Any particular class I should play as? I tried the mage out and it was pretty cool...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I loved Dragon Age: Origins! I played after Mass Effect 2 and it was amazing in my opinion. The combat is not awesome but it's the story that really drew me in. I personally think that Dragon Age uses certain cliches but in an original way that pays off as you get really in to the game.

I bought origins thinking it would be good but I didn't like it either.

I have however completed the campaign and played it once or twice since then for the trophies but im getting very bored.

I think I'll give this platinum a miss and sell it ;-)

Mass effect series is the dogs! My favourite action RPG this gen.

I never played DA:O but DA2 was the first RPG I played on PS3. At the time I thought it was a pretty poor game but since then I've played a few more RPGs and then went back and played DA2 some more and realized it's actually relatively pretty good. Either RPG's just suck on PS3 or I'm playing the wrong ones. Gonna get around to Skyrim one of these days.

I have high hopes for DAIII, probably too high, but I look forward to that game and will definitely give it a shot. 

• 2 weeks later...

I liked DA:O and am playing the second and I'm liking it a lot. They are quite unlike other action RPG games I'm used to play and the story I always thought to be engaging also quite original. I can understand however why it gets some hatred: the slow pace and the feeling that you're not progressing fast enough and the graphics may seem a bit dated for some. In my case I like it because these titles are reminiscent (at least to me) of Final Fantasy series (particularly VIII, IX and XII) - mainly in terms of storytelling and presentation. And when you start liking the story, other thing like the [at first] awkward gameplay and the texture-disproportional graphics start to be a minor issue. I'm also thinking of restarting Origins after I get through the second one!

• 3 weeks later...

I actually quite enjoyed the first game, you know, after the the orgins part. The combat was simple and although quite easy even on hard, since i usually only do the full game as a mage, the effects and story more than made up for the lack of difficulty imo. I completely understand why someone could be turned off by this game it's slow and clunky and full of glitches. I'm not gonna touch my opinion on the second game without a full page to describe it. Anyways almost finished hundred percenting it and on my like 5th playthrough, my recommendation do it once maybe twice and make sure thats it.

Also just have to say this thank you KittyGirl brightened up my day

Edited by sorrowssmile

• 1 year later...

ok so I got this game super cheap and decided to try it, I played maybe 2-3 hours, made a rogue, Im at the ogre boss.

I really dunno what to think, the game seems.. boring as fuck, all I do is hold X and kill stuff and tank stuff, ran around in circles from the ogre boss and had the mage carry me.

trophy guide seems complicated as fuck and doesnt seem to explain when and what decisions they are talking about which need reloading. and its a 120 + hour game I mean, does it get good ? cus I never disliked any game I played my entire life, but this game seems... just bad.can anyone change my pov ?

ok so I got this game super cheap and decided to try it, I played maybe 2-3 hours, made a rogue, Im at the ogre boss.

I really dunno what to think, the game seems.. boring as fuck, all I do is hold X and kill stuff and tank stuff, ran around in circles from the ogre boss and had the mage carry me.

trophy guide seems complicated as fuck and doesnt seem to explain when and what decisions they are talking about which need reloading. and its a 120 + hour game I mean, does it get good ? cus I never disliked any game I played my entire life, but this game seems... just bad.can anyone change my pov ?

I don't understand the hate the game gets in this thread. I mean did you even bother to read the quests and pay attention to the story or you just played it as an action RPG? I'm not a big fan of the combat either, it's not terrible but what makes the game great is the story, with it's choices and the interesting companions you get along the way. I definitely think you should give it an other go and try to immerse yourself in it's world because there is a reason why it's so critically acclaimed (http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dragon-age-origins). Keep in mind that it's pretty old tho, and i've run into a few glitches on the ps3.