Shenmue III updates.

JapanimeGamer

I will post all Shenmue updates in this one thread as I receive them rather than in multiple threads.

Here is the latest newsletter as of 2016-01-04.

Poll Results

The results are in for the poll posted in the final update of last year asking whether or not Kickstarter Exclusive Rewards should be made available for the Slacker Backer PayPal campaign.

The polling period lasted from December 24, 2015 to January 1, 2016. All Kickstarter Backers who pledged for a reward of $5 or more were eligible to vote. Of the 68,533 eligible Kickstarter Backers, there were 15,110 respondents.

The poll results are posted below. 4,670 of the respondents answered, “Yes, please make the Kickstarter Exclusive Rewards available on PayPal.” 4,009 respondents answered, “No, Kickstarter Exclusive Rewards are for Kickstarter only.” And 6,432 answered, “Either is fine with me.”

Considering the strong response from those of you who felt that the Exclusive Rewards should remain exclusive for the Kickstarter, those Exclusive Rewards will not be made available on the PayPal page as originally promised.

Lake of the lantern bugs:

Edited by JapanimeGamer
  • Like 1

This is true. However the 'No' vote was a strong one and we was told that if there was a strong negative reaction then the voices would be heard.

Additional news:

The slacker backer campaign for pay pal has been extended, so people can still pledge, however, as previously stated those people will not be receiving the Kick starter rewards.

It is not sure at this point if 'new' rewards will be added for slacker backers. I will update if this happens.

Here is the latest uploaded video of Shenmue III (which is still very early into its development stages). It features a hut in one of the villages. (I am glad my Kanji is coming along nicely).

Edited by JapanimeGamer

Hm I voted yes, I'm actually surprise that 40% - 45% voted no (ignoring the either votes).

The poll shouldn't have included the "either is fine" choice anyways - bit of a useless vote that does nothing.

Edited by xWinson
  • Like 2

I got this email this morning too, and must've read it wrong in my half-awake daze.  I thought the No's won, but the Yes's did.  Which isn't really fair that they aren't doing it anyways.

That being said... probably an unpopular opinion, but you really shouldn't get Kickstarter exclusive rewards if you're hopping onto the bandwagon this late in the game.  You didn't contribute whatsoever to the game actually getting funded... which obviously wasn't a threat of happening with Shenmue III.  But on a lesser game, your "I don't really care but I might back it eventually" attitude might've cost it the ability to get made.  You snooze, you lose.  Just a bunch of passive Patrick's trying to get more stuff.

EDIT: Just occurred to me that people might've not been able to back it because the original Kickstarter didn't have PayPal support.  Am I right?  If so... I guess that's a little more legitimate.  Then again, if you have a PayPal account, you probably have a checking account (and hence a debit card) or credit card tied to it.  If you just didn't do it because "you prefer everything go through PayPal"... then eh, you get what you pay for.

Edited by FrecLognAizeW
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

We are still awaiting February's update which is running late but I do have this video with Shenmue III co-producer Cedric Biscay where he answers loads of questions.

If you prefer to then skip to 8 minutes and see the following quote...

'What I anticipate is that SEGA releases Shenmue I and II HD'

Edited by JapanimeGamer

• 3 weeks later...

Tomorrow is the 27th February 2016 and this means Monaco Anime Game International Conference (MAGIC).

http://www.magic-ip.com/en/

Amongst the guests is Shenmue creator Yu Suzuki.

Yu Suzuki will hit the stage at 9.25am GMT.

There is expectation surrounding Shenmue especially as February's edition of Shenmue's promised monthly updates has not yet come.

The excitement is building.

Edit: February's update is now live with some new screenshots.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1502265

Edited by JapanimeGamer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is the latest news for April 2016.

日本語の記事はこちらです。

Hello Everyone,

Before getting into the main part of the update, we would like to respond to two issues brought up by the community—the Shenmue III logo and voice audio options.

First for the Shenmue III logo. There have been many comments from Shenmue fans wanting the logo to match the original logos from Shenmue 1& 2. We have heard your calls and will of course put it on the to-do list. This particular issue will take some time, however, as game development is currently taking a front seat to other design issues. Designers and other parties will also need to be consulted with, so before we can give a more definite answer, we would ask you please give us some time.

The second issue receiving a lot of attention concerns the voice audio options. Many people have asked for there to be an option to switch between Japanese and English voicing. We understand how strongly people feel about this feature, and it is something we would like to include as well, but the inclusion of a dual audio option will ultimately come down to budgetary limitations. Whether it will be added or not, will need to be decided as development progresses.

For me, I really hope Japanese is the priority language used in the game, Although I understand why a lot of people want/need the game in English.

Here is a 4 minute video with Shenmue's environment designer...

• 2 weeks later...

For the latest news on whether Shenmue I and II will get re-mastered for the PS4 watch this short clip...

I have now placed this video into my other Shenmue I and II re-masters thread... I will delete the video from here with my next Shenmue III update which should be soon.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

• 1 month later...

As promised monthly updates will appear as they arrive.

So with no further ado here is June 2016's update for you...

We are at the one year anniversary from the day you all stood up and made Shenmue III a reality. So to mark the occasion, Yu-san wanted to take this opportunity to look back at the project thus far.

Enjoy...

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

It is mostly a quiet month this month, but here is the latest from the Kickstarter project...

Taking a look at end credits of Shenmue you may noticed this man’s name—Keiji Okayasu. He was the Game Director for Shenmue I, then played a big role through most of Shenmue II, and has now joined the production team for Shenmue III.

We are very happy to have back this Shenmue veteran who helped deliver the goods the first time around, and look forward to him doing it again.

So, this month we would like to give an interview with Keiji to get to know a little bit more about him, and see what he hopes to accomplish as a director for Shenmue III. 

Keep this page for all things Shenmue as they happen...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Septembers update is a bit light as we have not been given any new details about the progress of the game.

I guess this is to be expected at this stage of development, the calm before the storm if you like.

However, what I can tell you is that the first 'rewards' have started to be awarded to the kick starter supporters of Shenmue III as the meal/chat with Yu Suzuki has now happened for the lucky people who were rich enough to pay for that.

With only an estimated 15 months until Shenmue III is released worldwide we can expect the promised surveys to start coming soon to the backers of the project, and then more of the rewards to start being handed out aswell as momentum starts to gather pace.

I will post more as it happens.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

• 1 month later...

October 2016's update here...

日本語の記事はこちらです

Yu-san has been hard at work to bring us the biggest treat of all, and now he has begun the momentous undertaking that is the signed rewards! Everyday Yu-san has been putting his signature to the Kenji Miyawaki illustrations, and thanks to your gracious and sincerely appreciated support, the number of illustrations to be signed is reaching the 5,000 mark!

So the rewards are really in full swing now, there are only 14 months until Shenmue III's 'expected release date'.

JapanimeGamer.