Shenmue III updates.

JapanimeGamer

• 4 weeks later...

December 2016's update for you here...

R&D for various game elements is on course as the development team shifts its focus towards production.

Main game scenarios are nearing completion, motion capture tests are well under way, and voicing tests with the cast have begun. Yu-san and the production staff are happy to say they are enjoying the work as they continue to diligently make progress on the mini-games, events, and battles.

“I have been absorbed in developing the game and I stay in the studio all night time to time. My life is all about Shenmue day and night.”-Yu Suzuki.

PC Pre-orders can now be placed here...

https://shenmue.link/order/?en

Lastly, it has also been confirmed that 'backers surveys' will be available from the Summer of 2017 to all of those who have pledged in the kick starter project.

Last update for 2016 has arrived courtesy of the Kick starter project. (That's 2 in one month !!).

We have now entered the final phases of R&D which has allowed us to slowly, but surely, show some of the different game elements and features. Marching along into 2017, we hope to show more of these different elements, along with the increasing depth of the world of Shenmue.

That’s all for us this year! Have a Happy New Year!

• 5 months later...

Sorry for the lack of updates lately but to be honest with you there has not been very much to report. Until today.

Unsurprisingly due to the lack of communication from the development team as promised we suspected a delay in the release date would be forthcoming, and so this has proved.

I received an email this morning saying that the release date for Shenmue III is now forecasted for the 2nd half of 2018, which obviously could mean anytime between 2018/06 and 2018/12.

Here is a link to the video which will explain things in a little more detail.

I think the timing of this just before E3 will stop people from asking about Shenmue III for the immediate future, it could also mean that we get news of the HD re-masters of Shenmue I and II as is often the case one hand takes away and the other provides.

JapanimeGamer

Edited by JapanimeGamer

• 2 months later...

Reading a lot of criticism about the stiff animations (especially facial) in the teaser trailer.

Yu came out and said that facial animations weren't implemented in time for this trailer so it's not indicative of the final product (how could it be since its still a year or so away at least)... so just to kind of nip that in the bud.  Personally, even if that weren't the case, nothing in the trailer really bothered me in particular... it felt very "Shenmue", even with its quirks.  Shenmue and Shenmue II were pretty quirky games in their own right. xD

Can't wait for this!

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

Reading a lot of criticism about the stiff animations (especially facial) in the teaser trailer.

Yu came out and said that facial animations weren't implemented in time for this trailer so it's not indicative of the final product (how could it be since its still a year or so away at least)... so just to kind of nip that in the bud.  Personally, even if that weren't the case, nothing in the trailer really bothered me in particular... it felt very "Shenmue", even with its quirks.  Shenmue and Shenmue II were pretty quirky games in their own right. xD

Can't wait for this!

Exactly right, completely.

When I played the original Shenmue on the Dreamcast all those years ago the game was very much one of a kind, it didn't pretend to be the best graphically appealing game, it didn't pretend to be anything really, it just was what it was and that (for me) was the most amazing gaming experience I have ever had, even to this day that remains the case.

Ryo's dry humour and his distinct lack of interest in Nozomi the young florist who fancied him was just how he was, he was solely driven to  ****SPOILER AVOIDED****  and that is all he was interested in, some people might see that as him having no personality, or just poor scripting, but it really was not... on the contrary.

Shenmue will appeal mostly to people who are understanding or tolerant of Japanese culture and its many quirks, people who are prepared to play an often unpolished (yet truly masterful at the same time) game. 

If naughty dog did Shenmue they would ruin it, it would be too polished, the acting would be too good, and Shenmue is not all about that, and it never apologises for it either.

What may happen when the HD re-masters get released later this year (hopefully) is that a lot of people who are new to Shenmue will play them and quickly dismiss them and claim that they don't understand what all the fuss was all about for the past 17 years... and they wouldn't be wrong, because for those people Shenmue will never be what it is for the rest of us.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

1 hour ago, JapanimeGamer said:

Exactly right, completely.

When I played the original Shenmue on the Dreamcast all those years ago the game was very much one of a kind, it didn't pretend to be the best graphically appealing game, it didn't pretend to be anything really, it just was what it was and that (for me) was the most amazing gaming experience I have ever had, even to this day that remains the case.

Ryo's dry humour and his distinct lack of interest in Nozomi the young florist who fancied him was just how he was, he was solely driven to  ****SPOILER AVOIDED****  and that is all he was interested in, some people might see that as him having no personality, or just poor scripting, but it really was not... on the contrary.

Shenmue will appeal mostly to people who are understanding or tolerant of Japanese culture and its many quirks, people who are prepared to play an often unpolished (yet truly masterful at the same time) game. 

If naughty dog did Shenmue they would ruin it, it would be too polished, the acting would be too good, and Shenmue is not all about that, and it never apologises for it either.

What may happen when the HD re-masters get released later this year (hopefully) is that a lot of people who are new to Shenmue will play them and quickly dismiss them and claim that they don't understand what all the fuss was all about for the past 17 years... and they wouldn't be wrong, because for those people Shenmue will never be what it is for the rest of us.

For what it's worth, I think Shenmue on the Dreamcast had fantastic graphics for its time.  Animations stiff still, yes... but the game was a technical masterpiece.

The thing that really made Shenmue great IMO was its use of QTE's, day/night and weather cycles, RPG elements and open world mechanics.  Not to mention it's unusual and interesting choice of time/locale in the form of trying to realistically recreate day to day life in 1980's Japan.  That sort of stuff.  Because of these things, back in that little era the Dreamcast existed between the PS1 and the PS2, between the N64 and the Gamecube, before the OG Xbox... Shenmue was just so different, so refreshing and so fun... that it made those quirky things shine instead of hinder.

Unfortunately... you're right that Shenmue HD remasters would struggle to catch on with a younger audience because those things that Shenmue did uniquely or pioneered will just feel like it's copying hundreds of other games.  Poorly.  Games like Yakuza have come and gone and arguably did similar things better, countless other open world games have mastered the gameplan that games like Shenmue drew up... and if you took those things that made Shenmue great out or diminished them, it may amount to little more than a pretty cliche revenge story (an unfinished one at that) and a lot of cringe-worthy moments.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

The QTE's were done so well, running down an alleyway at night only for it to start raining was insane, stopping off to feed the abandoned cat, rushing home before we got into trouble... all of the little things are what made it what it was and you are right, we have been spoiled since then, and as gamers because the bar has been risen to new heights we probably expect more now. A lot of those things we first saw in Shenmue have been done hundreds of times since, and also done better.

But Shenmue is more than that, it is all of the little things added together with a large dose of Japanese culture and what I liked to call 'serious fun' thrown in, rushing to work on a bus and driving a fork lift truck all day before making your way back home is just crazy, and sounds super dull, but it really wasn't, it really really wasn't.

You could say that I quite like Shakira (huge understatement by the way) but if you could offer me a lap dance from her, whilst she was scantily clad and feeling overly horny or the HD re-masters tomorrow I would take the re-masters... only just mind you ;)

Edited by JapanimeGamer

I'm honestly not sure how to approach Shenmue III.  I'm hoping the game is modernized a little bit and still quirky... but not just quirky for nostalgia sake.  Like most media that catches on and gets a cult following, it's hard for lightning to strike twice and they can't force it.  That trailer felt like a great balance though, basically what you'd expect from a brief clip of modern Shenmue.  I trust Yu to do it right.

Thanks to emulation, I'd probably take the lap dance personally. xD  Unless the HD remasters came with a disc release and a lot of sweet collectible goodies... then I'd probably have to think about it.

Edited by Dreakon13

I also trust Yu, like I said before I think anyone else would ruin a game like Shenmue, it needs to be done how it was done, not for nostalgic reasons, but because it is what worked, and you don't change a winning formula.

My only concern with Shenmue III is that it would be the end of Shenmue as a series. You see, when Yu Suzuki first had this vision for Shenmue he wanted it to be 5 games... 4 at a minimum. Now as we are getting the 3rd instalment this would mean at least another game to come, maybe 2, and my concern is that if people just don't grab onto Shenmue then we might not get that conclusion, or if we do it might be done on a budget just to get it done.

You don't wake a mighty beast only to put it back to sleep again... here's to Shenmue IV (and maybe V).

Edited by JapanimeGamer

• 8 months later...

It has been announced this afternoon that Shenmue III has been pushed back (again) until 2019 at the earliest.

Here is a copy of an email I just recieved from Kickstarter.

日本語はこちら

Hello Everyone,

Along with our publishers, Deep Silver, we have an announcement for the release date of Shenmue III. Our report follows with a comment from Mr. Suzuki.

Announcement by Deep Silver:

“ Deep Silver today announce that their upcoming release Shenmue III has been moved and will now release in 2019.

The extra time will be used to polish the quality of the game even further, to the high standards it deserves and release the product in the best possible timeframe. ”

Original Announcement: Deep Silver

Comment by Yu Suzuki:

To all of our backers, we are very sorry for the delay. After much discussion with our partners, Deep Silver, we have concluded that extending the release will allow us to deliver Shenmue III at its best. We promise to use this time to improve the quality of Shenmue III.

We cannot thank you enough for your enduring support.

• 3 months later...

Just had an email from YS net...

Hello Backers,

We have some breaking news about gamescom 2018!        

There is a Shenmue III announcement planned for the opening day of gamescom, Tuesday the 21st, at 11:00~13:00 CEST (17:00~19:00 JST).            

Yu Suzuki will not be in attendance, but we have put a video together for the announcement that we are currently putting the final touches to. So, please hold on until Tuesday!

This news could be Shenmue III's release date because the Kick starter backers have now been surveyed and those like myself who paid enough for it was asked what name we wanted in the games end credits and also what size T-shirt we wanted etc.

S3 is getting closer...

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/2521958

Hello Everyone,    

Today, Yu Suzuki & Deep Silver would like to give a message concerning the release date.      

Shenmue III will now release on 19th November 2019.   

[before] August 27, 2019

[new] November 19, 2019    

Whilst almost ready, the game simply needs a little more refinement before being truly finished.

We feel that the extra time we have will help us deliver the true Shenmue experience players around the world deserve!

We thank you for your patience and understanding,    

Yu Suzuki & Deep Silver

Here is the latest word on all of this...

https://jp.ign.com/ps4/35928/opinion/ 

^^Original posting on IGN's Japanese website

I will translate some for you...

''The postponement of Shenmue III, which was scheduled for release on August 27, to November 19 was announced on June 3.

About two and a half months later, because it was in the distance likely to reach, many fans had already started counting.  

"Shenmue III" will be on November 19 (probably). It will be 167 days from June 4th. 

If there is a sudden postponement the 'Time to wait' will increase.

Looking at this the postponement will likely change again yet.

My gut feeling is for a December 3rd release.

Edited by JapanimeGamer