Amplitude - Enjoying the game?

NotAFoxAnymore

So I know there's already a trophy thoughts thread, but here I'm curious what people think of the game itself. Personally, I've only played the demo but I really enjoy it. I love rhythm games but one thing I love about this one in particular is how it requires you to not only pay attention to the notes currently in your lane, but you must also plan ahead to the next lanes in order to streak notes. I'll definitely be buying this sometime. What are your thoughts?

• Like 2

Played the demo too, but definitely on my buy list!

From the 3 tracks available, didnt really like any of them. It felt fluid and was very addictive, and the challenging trophy list should make the price more than worth it. Not a huge fan of the controls though, messed with 1 or 2 different schemes but no luck so far. Also, intermediate difficulty is too easy, yet advanced is much harder, wouldve been nice to have an inbetween setting.

It's Amplitude. That's really the only way to describe it. There's not really much else out there like it. Blitz is a mere shadow of what the PS2 Frequency/Amplitude games were. [Also, the DLC for Blitz was actually just DLC for Rock Band as a whole - we're talking 6+ years worth of weekly song releases at the time Blitz came out. It worked across almost every Rock Band game, except for the stuff that was exclusive to RB3.] Amplitude is unlikely to be in the same boat - this was mostly a passion project from Harmonix. Maybe a few songs over the years, but nothing like Rock Band, I can almost guarantee that.

This particular version, is basically an amalgamation of Frequency & Amplitude. The darker, grittier sound and look of Freq, and the lane gameplay of Amp. There's also Freq mode, which changes the lanes into the tunnel that Frequency was known for. Overall, it feels like what they really wanted to do with the first 2 games, and like a natural progression of the series.

I can also, certainly, appreciate the more concise sound they went with. Both Freq and Amp's soundtracks were...weird, to say the least. No real, clear identity to them. Fun songs, and catchy, but they felt random. There are a few odd choices that don't fit with the overall sound here [Like Big Band's theme from Skullgirls], but they are few and far between - and still fun [some of the oddball songs in the original(s) weren't that fun to play, notechart-wise. Either way too hectic, or way too boring] They focused more on making fun to play songs, rather than fun to listen to [Though most of the songs are still pretty damn good - I'm rather fond of Decode Me & Recession]

Control-wise, again, it's Amplitude. If you've never played it before, it takes some getting used to. The 3rd note makes it much, much different to Blitz - because triplet notes in Blitz would often just be a sequence of :l1::r1::l1::r1: repeating, now become actual triplets requiring the use of 3 fingers. The thing to remember, is that you aren't locked to :l1::r1: & :r2: in the default setup - you can also use :square::triangle: & :circle: or any combination of those 6 buttons. Try out :l1::r1: and :circle: or :l1::triangle: and :r2: . That could work out better if you're having trouble getting your head around having to use both your index and middle finger on the right side of the controller - replace your index or middle finger button with a face button and use your thumb, then your index finger on the other shoulder button.

For the one that was asking about the difficulty: Advanced technically *is* the middle ground, because there's a difficulty past Expert, called Super, which is faster and the tracks don't stay alive as long. This is definitely one of those games that, if you've never played before, it's best to start out on a low difficulty and learn the mechanics before tackling the higher ones.

Edited by Fox
  • Like 4

downloaded the demo and played a good amount of it. it's really fluid and you really do have to pay attention to the entire screen with the whole lane switching thing. it's a unique challenge, you can't just look at one central area like you would in guitar hero. i locked down advanced but the difficulty curve between advanced and expert is insane. i played on expert for a while but i just could not get into any kind of flow. and to think there's a super difficulty above expert, too... i'll give it a shot later when my eyes stop thinking everything is floating up lol.

my biggest gripe with the game though is that there's no real feedback when hitting the notes. stringing notes together for a combo just doesn't feel tangible since there's no "umf!" to them. the game's soundtrack will also fade as you miss notes, which is understandable. so if you miss a few, it goes absolutely silent and it's extremely hard to get back into the song because there's no beat to go off of. it's rather unforgiving. that said, when you do string a long combo together it's incredibly satisfying. it's going to take a lot to get used to. 

i will probably end up picking this one up since i'm too much of a sucker for rhythm games, but not for while, the backlog is large at the moment. and also....that trophy list is gonna be hella challenging o_o

also i beat all your scores aki, what're you gonna do about that? bring it on ;)

• Like 1

also i beat all your scores aki, what're you gonna do about that? bring it on ;)

Is that a challenge I hear o:

Honestly I never noticed the feedback until you pointed it out but that definitely is an issue that should be addressed. Also this is nitpicking slightly but it would've been cool if the AI voiceover came through the controller speaker instead, like in Resogun. I haven't even tried Expert because I'm still adjusting to the difficulty spike of Advanced from Intermediate, but I don't know how I'd even be able to do Super ;-;

Is that a challenge I hear o:

Honestly I never noticed the feedback until you pointed it out but that definitely is an issue that should be addressed. Also this is nitpicking slightly but it would've been cool if the AI voiceover came through the controller speaker instead, like in Resogun. I haven't even tried Expert because I'm still adjusting to the difficulty spike of Advanced from Intermediate, but I don't know how I'd even be able to do Super ;-;

:3

honestly i don't know if it's really an issue per se, just that it's really hard to keep track. overall i'm okay with not having audio feedback since it could be intrusive to the track, but i would like at least a visual cue. but then i think about how IA/VT Colorful handles it and the notes sounds really punchy and felt satisfying to nail them since they're still in the beat of song. bringing up guitar hero again, there's no real audio feedback when you hit the notes outside of the song, but flames at least show up when you do play them. something like that, maybe a pulsing light?

or we can all just git gud and not be casul

• Like 1

I will say this. I want the name of whomever decided to make you play an entire song under that chromatic aberration distortion effect.

Talk about nausea inducing :lol:

Actually, I was watching my lady play this part and decided to try something that ended up helping a bit....

Grab some anaglyph 3D glasses (or clip-ons if you wear prescription glasses) and close one eye.

The distortion keeps a Green hue in the middle, with Red and Blue going to either side.  Closing one eye with the 3-D glasses will remove either the red or blue, make the remaining color easier to deal with, but keep the green in the center so you can keep playing.

It's kinda weird, but it works!

Edited by TesseractE

After playing the demo it reminds me a bit of Rock Band Blitz (Same devs).

However, that game had so much DLC. I fear it would be the case with this game. 

May be something I pick up soon. Not fully sure yet.

Not sure I understand how that's a bad thing. I don't care for over half of the soundtrack on this game.. i'd much prefer if I could add more "known" electronic artist via DLC tbh.

Same goes with the Rock Band games.. the dlc is miles better.

Not sure I understand how that's a bad thing. I don't care for over half of the soundtrack on this game.. i'd much prefer if I could add more "known" electronic artist via DLC tbh.

Same goes with the Rock Band games.. the dlc is miles better.

Didn't realise the trophy list was different to the achievement list when I was on Xbox.

The DLC for that game had you paying for a lot of songs to get the achievements. I believe it was like 300 songs, and Blitz only gave you like 25-30

Hoooly fudge I just saw this game on youtube and I'm very interested in it. Is it really hard? I know the rock band games are so idk. But I think I will be going for it. Do you guys know any more games that are ike Amplitude.Rhythm based but without having to play on a floppy guitar controller? :)

Hoooly fudge I just saw this game on youtube and I'm very interested in it. Is it really hard? I know the rock band games are so idk. But I think I will be going for it. Do you guys know any more games that are ike Amplitude.Rhythm based but without having to play on a floppy guitar controller? :)

It may seem hard at first, but with practice it really does get easier. I'm finally starting to master Expert mode and I used to be terrible. There's a free demo on the PS Store so you should try it out c:

As for other games like this, there's many great ones on the Vita. Most of these are Japanese (with western releases in English) but that's because the genre is much bigger over there. I'd recommend Project Diva, Persona 4: Dancing All Night, IA/VT Colorful (that one doesn't have a western release) and some others that I haven't played but have heard are good like Superbeat: XONiC. As for the PS4, there isn't a whole lot of choice yet but I do recommend the re-released PS2 game PaRappa the Rapper 2

Edited by Kurisu

It may seem hard at first, but with practice it really does get easier. I'm finally starting to master Expert mode and I used to be terrible. There's a free demo on the PS Store so you should try it out c:

As for other games like this, there's many great ones on the Vita. Most of these are Japanese (with western releases in English) but that's because the genre is much bigger over there. I'd recommend Project Diva, Persona 4: Dancing All Night, IA/VT Colorful (that one doesn't have a western release) and some others that I haven't played but have heard are good like Superbeat: XONiC. As for the PS4, there isn't a whole lot of choice yet but I do recommend the re-released PS2 game PaRappa the Rapper 2

Hey, thanks for replying :D

Okay, that sounds doable. I like challenges ^^ Yeah, I saw that there is a demo, I'll check that out on the weekend.

On the Vita is even better. I've already thought about playing Persona so I think I'll pick that up. How does this work on the vita though? Do you use the buttons or the screen?

Hey, thanks for replying :D

Okay, that sounds doable. I like challenges ^^ Yeah, I saw that there is a demo, I'll check that out on the weekend.

On the Vita is even better. I've already thought about playing Persona so I think I'll pick that up. How does this work on the vita though? Do you use the buttons or the screen?

On Persona: Dancing All Night? It uses the D-Pad and the face buttons ^_^

Does deleting your save file wipe your high scores or are they saved to the server? The triple bar trophy is misleading and it annoys me. Basically the triple bar ranks only count if it's a high score. So on 4 songs (used to be 3 but I got a 2 bar high score on another) I can easily triple bar them but they don't count because I can't beat my previous high score, and that score only got me 2 bars.

• 2 months later...