Decent campy fun

Although not a stellar game by any stretch of the imagination, Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus is a fun game none-the-less. The storyline is quite simplistic, graphics are ok, and the voice acting so-so, but there is a definite "Fun Factor" with this game as well.

A good fun "lazy" game when you don't feel like straining your brain, doing tedious missions, or are just looking for something on the lighter side.

I wasn't a big fan of the last two. Theivius Racoonus was decent enough (although it was very short).

I actually preferred 2 & 3 over the first, although it was still a good game in it's own right. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I didn't play all 3 one after the other and spread them out instead :P

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Unfortunately the turtle had the largest speaking part in the whole game after Sly. By far one of the worst character voices in any game.

Yeah, I can see why Bentley's voice may not be everyone's 'cup of tea', as the saying goes. To me though, it fits his nervous, (and neurotic) personality perfectly.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Picked up the Trilogy cross buy after loving Thieves in Time (free on PS+).

Was seriously put back by how hard this was..... until I realised all the guards could be one shotted once you dodged their attacks.  I was trying to avoid them totally which made things a mite trickier.  Self imposed hard mode ftl.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Yay, discussing things I like!

I got number one on PS+ like 3 years ago, played it for a bit, dropped it for a year, picked it up again when I started liking trophies, plat'd it pretty quick, bought the trilogy on sale, plat'd 2 in a few days, started 3 and dropped it for a year or so, 9 months or so after dropping 3 I got the girlfriend into Sly and she plat'd 1 and 2 and was on 3 now, so I plat'd 3 finally, got Sly 4 when it came to PS+ as I never got around to picking up the disc version, plat'd that in a week, cross saved and got another plat, then the Vita trilogy version came out and I got them for free via cross buy, plat'd the second, then the third, then the first again, now I eagerly await the movie and hope they make a tie in game for it along the lines of Ratchet and Clank's new version.

So basically, I got into the series because of PlayStation Plus and trophies, but then I ended up adoring them all and their world, and Sly is now one of my favorite game series' of all time. Easy enough for kids, complex enough for adults, enjoyable by all, and 8 easy as balls platinum trophies for the fun time you had along the way,  cannot complain.

• Like 1

Good story, I actually think it's a pretty good game myself and I'll play it when i'm not on ESO. Is this a PS2 game? I noticed allot of people here have played this trilogy.

It was. The PS3/Vita trilogy is a remaster of them. Cool thing is (some of) the lines in the game when they explain the controls were re-recorded for the Vita to say things like back touch pad instead of R2 or something.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

For some reason I just could not get into this game when it was first given away through PS+ back in 2012.  I tried three or four times but always got distracted by another game I considered more interesting.  Then yesterday I fired up my PS3 for the first time in two years, noticed this was still installed and thought I'd give it a shot.  I'm loving it.  As you indicated all that time ago when you started this thread, it's not an outstanding game but it is a lot of fun.  If I end up going for the platinum, it will be the longest I've ever taken to get one from first trophy to last.  "Platinum in 6 years, 6 months," may just be the impetus I need to go for it.  lol.

19 hours ago, fauxtronic said:

For some reason I just could not get into this game when it was first given away through PS+ back in 2012.  I tried three or four times but always got distracted by another game I considered more interesting.  Then yesterday I fired up my PS3 for the first time in two years, noticed this was still installed and thought I'd give it a shot.  I'm loving it.  As you indicated all that time ago when you started this thread, it's not an outstanding game but it is a lot of fun.  If I end up going for the platinum, it will be the longest I've ever taken to get one from first trophy to last.  "Platinum in 6 years, 6 months," may just be the impetus I need to go for it.  lol.

It’s a damn shame I never got to play this back in the early 2000s when it came out. I played Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank but not Sly Cooper. 

The first game is my personal favorite. The second, third and fourth games were too story driven with unskippable cutscenes which pissed me off a little since I stacked both the PS3 and Vita versions. The third game however added some challenges that were nice. 

In the first Sly it’s almost purely platforming, which I enjoy and Sly Cooper in my opinion has the best platforming out of the three cartoon mascots of the PlayStation 2 era.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

This is the first game, right? Not sure I'd say "lazy", but rather just very basic 3D platformer, that we've seen many times before. It's honestly a generation late. There's little other than the presentation that makes it stand out in any way. Could honestly have been a good licensed kid's movie game, but it's not, so it doesn't have that going for it either. The second game is where they really do something new, which is to make a "heist" game. Where you explore the world, prepare for the heist, and then execute it. All that with plenty of story and characters to go with it. It also fits the game "lore" so well. No doubt inspired by the few years earlier success of Ocean's Eleven. They even got Peter McConnell to do the soundtrack.

Edited by MMDE