starcrunch061

PLATS 76-100

1L73f97b.png  KUNG FU PANDA 2

First Trophy: November 20th, 2012

Platinum Achieved: November 20th, 2012

Rarity: COMMON

First 50: No

Game Grade: B-

I enjoyed the movie, and have no real bad memories of the game. So, fat part of the curve.

Trophy Grade: B-

It's a one-day plat. It can't be all bad, right?

Final Grade: B-

Not showing off, not falling behind.

1L8591ef.png  WIPEOUT 2

First Trophy: November 29th, 2012

Platinum Achieved: December 1, 2012

Rarity: VERY RARE

Game Grade: F

God, I hate this game. Horrible controls don't mix well with genuinely difficult challenges. I hated pretty much every minute of this game.

Trophy Grade: C

If the game were of greater quality, these would be pretty nice trophies. But when control is as bad as it is with this game, time challenges are just a nightmare. 

Final Grade: D-

Avoid. One of the worst games I've played.

1L84547a.png  RANGO

First Trophy: December 5th, 2012

Platinum Achieved: December 8, 2012

Game Grade: C

Another trophy whoring game for me. I can't remember much at all about this. It wasn't that fun, though, and the fake Johnny Depp voice really grated on my nerves.

All I can remember is the number 200,000, and that number seems WAY too big for a game like this. What a pointless grind.

Final Grade: C

Not worth your time, even for the easy plat.

1L67cb17.png  HEAVY FIRE: AFGHANISTAN

First Trophy: December 13th, 2012

Platinum Achieved: December 15, 2012

Game Grade: B

This game gets crapped on, but it was actually pretty fun. Nothing special, but it reminded me far more of the rail shooters I would play in the arcade back in the day. 

Trophy Grade: C+

The trophies, however, are a disappointment. Making me play through the game twice is just annoying. I know the difficulty is supposed to change, but I never felt it. A very easy list, however.

There are worst ways to spend your time. I enjoyed getting this (easy) plat.

1Lb6b16f.png  CARTOON NETWORK PUNCH TIME EXPLOSION XL

First Trophy: December 21th, 2012

Platinum Achieved: December 22, 2012

Rarity: UNCOMMON

It must be hard to make a game like Smash Brothers. This is one of two games I've played like this, and both are mediocre. Punch Time Explosion doesn't really do anything wrong, per se, and the graphics are quite cute. I enjoyed seeing old and new CN characters slug it out. But it's just not very fun to play. Maybe it's because of...

...the trophies? God, these things were a slog. How in the world would you figure out this stuff, anyway. A pretty lousy list, to be sure.

Again, it's not a terrible game, but when comparing it to the glory of Smash Brothers, it falls hard.

1Lc43bea.png  RISEN 2: DARK WATERS

First Trophy: December 29th, 2012

Platinum Achieved: January 8th, 2013

Game Grade: B+

I really liked a lot of this game. Combat was totally broken, but that's OK - once I found an infinite source of gold, I just stocked up on rum and button-mashed. I enjoyed the pirate theme, and having multiple plot paths was pretty cool, too, although I wouldn't say this game supported multiple playthroughs. The QTEs made absolutely no sense, though.

The trophy list would have been fine, except for the grinding out of kills. I liked how the game saved all of your progress at all times, even when you didn't bother saving the game yourself. But there was no easy way to grind kills, and the game froze often on me when I did. Add to that the fact that you have to make mid-game saves (or risk playing through it again), and this became a real slog.

Final Grade: B

Again, not a bad game. Germans seem to like this low-budget crap (just look at the sales of Two Worlds II). This game is decent enough for a low price.

1Lc5b3fa.png  MAN VS. WILD

First Trophy: January 11th, 2013

Platinum Achieved: January 12th, 2013

A candidate for worst game on the system, to be sure. I have no idea what the developers were thinking. They probably weren't. I particularly loathed the GH-style QTE to defrost yourself after falling in ice water. And hunting down trash in the Everglades? Pure flippin' genius. And to top it off, you would be surprised how much of a struggle it is to...get on a horse at the end of the game. Avoid.

Trophy Grade: D

The one perk is that the list is very easy (with guides). But random collectables (including some that I never saw, but still got credit for, thankfully)? A no-death run? Even for an easy list, this was an annoyance.

Final Grade: F

Avoid. Like the plague.

1L6729ce.png  INFAMOUS

First Trophy: December 21st, 2011

Platinum Achieved: January 21th, 2013

Rarity: RARE

I'm surprised that this game became a huge franchise. It's OK, but nothing special. An OK 3rd-person shooter with a wobbly time-travel plot. Not bad, but not great. I hated the fact that, although you were presented with choices, they had absolutely no effect on the game (I particularly liked the one where, regardless of what you did, you couldn't save your girlfriend). Maybe this series got better, but I saw no reason to replay it.

This list gets knocked for one reason: pointless collectables. Collecting those stupid shards kept me from getting this plat for a full year. Honestly, I just got lucky when I found the last one. 

Final Grade: C+

Again, I don't get the love for this. It's OK, but nothing special.

1L8f6236.png  GAME OF THRONES

First Trophy: January 21st, 2011

Platinum Achieved: February 7th, 2013

What a bad game. Game of Thrones takes everything you hate about licensed games, and puts it in an RPG. It's an unfinished mess of a game that makes no sense, and can't possibly appeal to anyone outside of the most blind of GoT fanboys. Combat is broken; it's quite difficult until you understand how it works, and then it's a joke. The game is ugly as sin. The one perk is that the voice work is competent. But as a game ostensibly meant to compete against the likes of Dragon Age, this is a disaster, made worse due to numerous glitches and design flaws.

Trophy Grade: C-

The trophies are generally OK, but are hurt by the fact that you actually have to play the game TWICE to get them all. It's hard enough to get through it once.

Yet another avoid game. Is it any wonder that I would soon give up plats (and even trophies) for an extended period?

1Lb030a1.png  HYPERDIMENSION NEPTUNIA MK2

First Trophy: February 13th, 2013

Platinum Achieved: February 24th, 2013

Game Grade: D

Everything that I liked about Hyperdimension Neptunia is spoiled in this fanboy-driven sequel. The humor of the first title is replaced with lousy self-parody and tasteless imagery. The combat in the game was somehow made worse here. While the dungeons are more detailed, the colors looked like something vomited by a rainbow unicorn. The game has a ton of endings, and one of them makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. What a letdown.

The ending trophies spoil the fun. There are TONS of endings here, many with flags that are unknown. Without a guide, you would be playing this over, and over, and over. 

Final Grade: D+

D for disappointed. Plus for decent trophies. Hardcore fans only.

1Le77fa8.png  VENETICA

First Trophy: March 2nd, 2013

Platinum Achieved: March 12th, 2013

Boy - what a bad spell of games! Venetica is another poor RPG. Lousy writing. Lousy voicework. Lousy graphics. Lousy gameplay. Honestly, this only gets a D because of the dreck I played a couple of games back.

Again, completely opaque trophies. Three separate guild trophies, despite the fact that you can only join one guild per playthrough. Two playthroughs required, despite the fact that the game hardly supports 1. Some trophies are glitchy as well. 

Final Grade: D

Yet ANOTHER "avoid" game!

1Lcf1492.png  NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC CHALLENGE!

First Trophy: March 16th, 2013

Platinum Achieved: March 17th, 2013

Although I remember little of this game, I definitely hated the puzzles. 

God, those puzzles.

Very easy to plat, but is it worth it?

1L2128d4.png  THE TESTAMENT OF SHERLOCK HOLMES

First Trophy: April 9th, 2013

Platinum Achieved: April 12th, 2013

After a spate of mediocre-to-terrible games, Sherlock Holmes finally gave me an enjoyable experience. Nothing special, but I enjoyed its puzzles, and I loved the writing (Sherlock Holmes disdain for everything around him was particularly nice). However, travel (and the basic act of walking) was clunky, and you'll be doing a lot of it.

Trophy Grade: B+

Solid trophies with some of the oddest descriptions out there. Most can be obtained with a careful eye, but some are quite tough without a guide.

I enjoy this game more than most of the point-and-click from Telltale (like Sam and Max or The Wolf Among Us). Recommended, though not highly.

1L1907a5.png  KINGDOMS OF AMALUR: RECKONING

First Trophy: March 21st, 2013

Platinum Achieved: April 16th, 2013

Game Grade: A-

FINALLY! An RPG that doesn't suck! Reckoning didn't get a ton of love from customers, and that's too bad. While I think the lore of the game suffers from too many cooks spoiling the broth, I had genuine fun playing through this. I loved the fact that you could re-spec, and by doing so, could make use of the numerous teachers that gave bonus points to your skills, but only at lower levels. My character was a real powerhouse by the end. The story is pretty standard stuff, but the gameplay rescues it. Recommended, and pretty highly at that.

A decent list. Nothing special. I like the difficulty trophy, and the collectables were not offensive, since you actually unlocked real stuff in-game. Defeating an enemy who is 5 levels greater than you can be a pain, though, and I don't like missables.

Final Grade: A-

I dunno - I really enjoyed this game. I'm not sure why it didn't hit bigger than it did.

1L2d63db.png  MEN IN BLACK: ALIEN CRISIS

First Trophy: April 19th, 2013

Platinum Achieved: April 23th, 2013

Game Grade: C+

This game was a pretty big letdown, even for a licensed game. I just felt like this could be a lot better. The voice work, in particular, was really annoying. You created a new character for the game - could you at least get a good voice actor? Other than that, basic shooter action with some pointless racing segments (I think - I have a hard time remembering this one).

Trophy Grade: B

The trophies are OK, although a couple annoyed me (dodging mines, mostly - I got that trophy 3 days after getting the others).

It's not worth playing unless you are hunting trophies.

1Ld9bb46.png  TRIVIAL PURSUIT

First Trophy: May 8th, 2013

Platinum Achieved: May 23rd, 2013

Slumming for this one, Trivial Pursuit does what it's supposed to. You play Trivial Pursuit. No frills here, however; while there are a few extra game modes, they aren't particularly fun or anything.

Trophies that reward total incompetence. Great. But it's pretty easy. I'm stunned I took 15 days to get it.

Trophy whores only. If you're buying this actually to play Trivial Pursuit, I would recommend instead the old physical version. Less annoying and cumbersome.

1Ldde07f.png  PUSS IN BOOTS

First Trophy: May 31st, 2013

Platinum Achieved: June 1st, 2013

I'm sure I remember nothing about this game...

...or its trophy list...

...but it's easy enough to play and plat.

1L0be58c.png  THE WALKING DEAD

First Trophy: August 7th, 2012

Platinum Achieved: June 18th, 2013 (100% achieved on August 4th, 2015)

I've always thought the Telltale games were a bit overrated, but Walking Dead starts to convert me a bit. I really dug the story (a must for point-and-click), and the random zombie attacks spiced things up. I still wish that more was done with character choices (my feeling was that, although I made choices with various characters, most would have met their respective fates no matter WHAT I did), but the dynamic between the characters made this adventure worth taking. Game of the Year? I don't think so, but a great game nonetheless.

One of the easiest lists on the system - you just need to play through the game. But it felt pretty lazy. There should be SOMETHING for exploring other routes.

Final Grade: B+

A great game that was pretty overrated by the community, but still shouldn't be missed.

1Lb58818.png   SLEEPING DOGS

First Trophy: June 12th, 2013

Platinum Achieved: June 19th, 2013 

I had zero expectations when Sleeping Dogs was given away by PS+. However, this is a nice little GTA-type diversion. Nothing special, but I enjoyed the setting, and I liked the combat (which seemed as inspired by Yakuza as anything). Sleeping Dogs isn't a reason to buy the system, but it's a fine game once you have it.

Good, solid trophies that do what they're supposed to do. Killing enemies with all weapon types got old, and I got REALLY lucky on the cock-fighting game (I won every time I played), but I was never really annoyed in hunting the trophies.

There are far worse ways to spend your time.

1L911505.png  SOUND SHAPES

First Trophy: June 13th, 2013

Platinum Achieved: June 22th, 2013 (100% achieved on July 12th, 2016)

This game gets crapped on because it's so easy to whore the trophies, but Sound Shapes is a pretty fun rhythm platformer. I enjoyed my time with it (short as it was). Beat School was a letdown, but Death Mode was a nice change of pace as well. All in all, well worth the price for which I got it (which might be free - I don't actually remember).

The Beat School trophies are just stupid. Is this really what should be loaded on your DLC?

Most people know of this game, since playing it once allows you pop multiple plats, provided you own the respective systems. But it's not a bad game.

1L39b276.png  SAINT'S ROW 3

First Trophy: June 19th, 2013

Platinum Achieved: June 30th, 2013 

I've always liked Saint's Row games, and this is no exception. While not as strong as Saint's Row 2, this game brings the goods. I've enjoyed the general silliness of this series for a while now, and this was a solid entry.

A slight knock because I don't like trophies that reward you simply for playing for a long time, and I didn't much care for the choice trophy. It seemed random. Other than that, a good list

If you liked Saint's Row 2, you'll like this, but just a little less. However, it has trophies.

1L010a29.png  DRAGON'S DOGMA

First Trophy: April 24th, 2013

Platinum Achieved: August 13th, 2013 

Unfulfilled potential. Dragon's Dogma should be so much better than it is. Despite what you might think, it's actually a short game - the vast, VAST majority of your time will be spent traveling the overworld (if you play multiple times, so that you can keep the teleport crystals, you can beat the entire game easily under 5 hours). Quests (and their time frames) are completely opaque, and often, you'll have to backtrack multiple cities to go through a quest, which has an amazingly small time window in the game. The pawn system is a pretty cool idea that isn't utilized well at all. And the stat boosts on leveling are actually non-linear, and there is NOTHING that would tell you this within the game.

What kills the trophy list is the quest trophy, and the ridiculous time frames for completing them. You have to be pretty devoted to a guide to get these (I took 4 playthroughs, because I kept missing crap). Also, the "Find 350 items" trophy turns into an unnecessary grind; you can only outfit a couple of characters anyway. I did like that you had to kill the uber dragon, though.

An OK game, but it's totally obvious why this game didn't light up the sales charts like, say, Dark Souls.

1Ld82352.png  DARK SOULS II

First Trophy: March 11th, 2014

Platinum Achieved: August 22th, 2014 

Game Grade: A+

Wow - I guess I had finally had it after Dragon's Dogma. I would go a full YEAR before platting a game again! But anyway, Dark Souls II is flipping great. Don't listen to the haters - Dark Souls II does so much right that it is perfectly reasonable to overlook its few (small) flaws. If I had one gripe, it's the torch system. What was the point of the plethora of torch sconces in the game? I only remember two ever mattering. My guess is that a design idea was dropped. One other thing: this game is the first Souls game in which the level 1 character is actually a wimp. A level 1 run is great in this game.

Trophy Grade: S

Trophies done right. Dark Souls II might have my favorite trophy list in a game. Gone are collectable trophies (unless you count the spell trophies, which I don't). Trophies explore various aspects of the game. Online makes some easier, but online isn't necessary for the plat. All in all, I REALLY dug the trophies in this one.

Final Grade: A+

Fantastic game which I highly recommend. One of my top 5 PS3 games.

1Lc690cf.png  YAKUZA: DEAD SOULS

First Trophy: March 20th, 2013

Platinum Achieved: January 23rd, 2015 

Rarity: ULTRA RARE

Again, I went months before getting a plat. That would change in 2015, as I will have a LOT of plats to follow here. But I decided to go on another clean up, and the first plat was Dead Souls. I don't know why people beat up on this game. I know that the shooter has evolved a lot, but Dead Souls has the feel of an old top-down shooter (like Robotron 2084), where you just fired like crazy at the swath of enemies coming at you. Auto-tracking makes things easier, but all in all, I liked the throwback feel. Also, seeing Kiryu in action against the final boss makes everything better.

Are you kidding me? I have to play this game 3 separate times? There is no good reason to force me to play a LOWER difficulty after I've beaten the HIGHEST difficulty. And oh God - pachinko?

A really fun game slightly spoiled by a lazy trophy list.

1L77cf5b.png  MIDWAY ARCADE ORIGINS

First Trophy: January 13th, 2013

Platinum Achieved: January 24th, 2015 

The clean-up continued! I remembered these games being...more fun. Many of Midway's collected games don't even work with the Dualshock. 720 is absolutely unplayable, and Tubin' is a mess, too. Spy Hunter II should be inhabiting a landfill somewhere, and the racing game contingent is too heavy (particularly since those games played with a steering wheel back in the day). Thankfully, games like Smash TV and Joust remind me of why I love these collections.

They do what they should. Each game has an associated trophy, and many of the trophies are sensible (unlike, say, Sonic Genesis Collection). Destroy the pterodactyl in Joust? Of course that's the trophy. 

A fun game for arcade fans, but modern fans might not understand what the big deal is (or was). 

PLATS 101-125

1Le1a9ea.png  AKIBA'S TRIP: UNDEAD & UNDRESSED

First Trophy: November 14th, 2014

Platinum Achieved: January 24th, 2015 

If Nier was a surprise game of 2011, then Akiba's Trip is the surprise game of the century. I walked into this with zero expectations, other than the chance to see digital ladies in their skivvies. But Akiba's Trip is actually a pretty darn good game! Arcade-style combat hits the spot, and difficulty levels actually change the experience. But the best part? The localization is great! I never thought I'd live in a world where the English version of a small-budget Japanese niche title would far surpass that of Final Fantasy. The main gripes here are some strange design decisions in combat (which are hard to describe), and multiple freezes while fast-traveling.

The trophies also get it right. While I'm not a huge fan of collectible trophies, for whatever reason, it doesn't bother me as much if I'm collecting...clothes from people I've stripped. Still, I had trouble finding enough pants to satisfy the trophy makers, so I knock it a bit.

This game won't win any awards, but if you're looking for some mindless beat 'em up action, this is pretty good. Plus...boobies! 

1Ld7eac3.png  TALES OF GRACES F

First Trophy: January 7th, 2014

Platinum Achieved: January 27th, 2015 

Rarity: VERY RARE

Tales of Graces f, despite it's incredibly stupid title, reminds me of why I liked the Tales series in the first place. I love the outrageous title system (100+ titles for each character? Awesome!). I enjoyed the banter between characters (some of the comments after battle really cracked me up). I really liked all of the post-game battles. In short, this is one of the best JRPGs on the system. The big gripe here was the terrible errand system. It had no effect on the main game, really, but...

...it made the trophies atrocious! But first, POINTLESS COLLECTIBLES. I hated gathering all of those stupid Tales cards (some of the minigames required were just awful). Also, why in the world did I have to bring that stupid Eleth Mixer up to 9999? At no point in the game was this even desirable. But nothing was as bad as trying to get through all of those errands in hopes of fighting the Gentleman. It was a chore just unlocking them! And the traits on weapons? God - I hate remembering that.

Ignoring the stupid trophies, Tales of Graces f is a real winner. 

1L3749c2.png  TALES OF XILLIA

First Trophy: February 9th, 2014

Platinum Achieved: January 28th, 2015 

Game Grade: C-

Unfortunately, this second-rate game garnered more attention. I'll never understand why people like this game, to say nothing of loving it. Cliched characters. Cliched plot. Insipid battle. Repeated environments (hey everybody - our tundra has trees!). The graphics were nice, but nothing special. They even managed to screw up the title system in this one. All in all, this is a game that barely passes muster. 

Trophies are better, but not much. Ostensibly, the trophies seek to show aspects of the game. But in the end? Lots of pointless grinding out of skills and abilities that have no real use in the game. I don't think I used the auto-food thing at all in my first playthrough. 

Again, I don't get the love for this. Mostly, this is a soulless RPG hiding behind the Tales name. 

1L055d5c.png  DRAGON FANTASY BOOK II

First Trophy: December 9th, 2014

Platinum Achieved: January 30th, 2015 

What a massive disappointment. After the excellent Dragon Fantasy Book I, I was eagerly anticipating the follow-up, which would utilize the goodness of the SNES-era of RPGs (the Golden Age, and the single best time for JRPGs in history). Unfortunately, the developers were not up to the task, and this shell of a game does nothing to call up the nostalgic goodness of the bygone days of Enix and Square. The form is right, but the heart just isn't there. Pointless story. Poor combat. Extras that have no purpose outside of trophies. And to top it off, design flaws (including one which could cause you to start the entire game over...at the END OF THE GAME). Do yourself a favor: play Book I and skip Book II.

Trophy Grade: A-

The trophies, in and of themselves, are fine. In fact, many trophies serve as the only motivation for features that should be a lot cooler than they are (such as capturing monsters).

As sad as I am to say it, avoid this game. I love 16-bit RPGs, but this one just doesn't make the grade.

1L042254.png  GOD OF WAR: CHAINS OF OLYMPUS

First Trophy: September 19th, 2014

Platinum Achieved: January 31th, 2015 

I have to say, if I bought this at full price, as a standalone game, I would probably kick myself. Chains of Olympus does nothing really wrong. It's just too short. You can finish the main game in around 2 hours, without really trying. It's also very easy. Even on the hardest difficulties, players will probably have trouble only with the final boss, if anything at all. Not a bad game, but it feels kind of lazy.

The trophies are good, but not great. Watch a movie three times? Break out of stone status 5 times in a row? Rewarding pointlessness and incompetence - that's the best you can do?

This game is fine as part of the 5 game GoW collection, which is why it gets the grade it does. Had I bought this even for $20 new, I would be sadly disappointed.

1L4ed97c.png  GOD OF WAR: GHOST OF SPARTA

First Trophy: September 17th, 2014

Platinum Achieved: February 3rd, 2015 

Slightly better than Chains of Olympus, but only because it's longer. Ghost of Sparta is even easier than its counterpart. And what's up with this story? What happened to the cool story of Kratos' brother from GoW? In any case, more of the same = less interested than ever.

The trophies are a disappointment as well. Pointless grinding to get all of the Godly Possessions. Opaque descriptions such as "Make a titan scream for over a minute". Am I supposed to know what that means? Try to open a chest for 30 seconds? OK - that one was pretty funny. But all in all, a disappointment.

I'm sure fans just eat this stuff up, but like Chains of Olympus, this feels lazy. Good as part of a collection, but not much more.

1Lb75236.png  YAKUZA 4

First Trophy: April 11th, 2012

Platinum Achieved: February 7th, 2015 

Game Grade: A

Now we're talking! I really dig Yakuza 4. I enjoy the 4 different characters, each with unique fighting styles. I like the old school beat-em up action that's been sorely missed since the golden days of Final Fight and Streets of Rage. I even like the Japanese voices, which don't sound like the squealing brats often heard in anime and JRPGs. And I like the stuff which was cut from Yakuza 3. The hostess clubs are great. That dice game from Suikoden? Awesome. And of course, who can forget...

PACHINKO?!?! ARRRRRRRGGGHHHH! God - if I never have to play that crap again, it will be too soon. STOP MAKING ME PLAY PACHINKO! Also, was there really a need to force the player to play through the game three times, including an obligatory playthrough on normal difficulty?

Despite the trophies, Yakuza 4 is a great game, and shouldn't be skipped by anyone.

1Lf675b9.png  MASS EFFECT

First Trophy: December 9th, 2012

Platinum Achieved: February 20th, 2015 

I was so happy to get a chance to play Mass Effect when it was released in 2012, and eagerly flew through it. I like the different style of the game. While combat is a little rough, social interaction is quite good, and the exploration aspect is stellar. The graphics are rough today, but still perfectly fine. The difficulties are a problem, but not if you play as a soldier. Obviously, there are some QC issues, but not as many as I expected, given that this is by Bioware. All in all, I really dug this game, but...

Trophy Grade: D+

...man, the trophies are terrible. There are numerous easily-missed trophies which require you to play through an ENTIRE NEW PLAYTHROUGH. Moreover, trophies glitch often - I almost lost hope when I didn't get the trophy for beating the game on Insanity. Thankfully, there was a workaround, but man - would that have been a pain. The one bright spot is that earning trophies actually has benefits within the game. For example, gaining a partner trophy will increase the power of that partner by 5%. It's an idea that I wish others would implement.

The trophies really marred what should have been a great experience. Still a solid game, but not as good as I would have hoped.

1Lafe960.png  LIGHTNING RETURNS

First Trophy: October 26th, 2012

Platinum Achieved: February 23rd, 2015 

Game Grade: D-

So, it's come to this? Lightning Returns is a stain on JRPGs, and Square in general. Part of me thinks that Square released this simply to screw with us. Thankfully, this crapstorm was not exactly a best-seller, and was heavily discounted mere weeks after release (I bought this for less than twenty bucks only a few months after its release). A whole lot of elements come together in one of the worst ways possible. Incomprehensibly bad storyline? We've got it! Bland, boring NPCs and environments? Look no further! A pointless time limit that is easily gotten around, and serves as little more than an annoyance? Come one, come all! The only reason I don't give this the F-hammer is that there was one great idea here: the NG+, with accessories that powered up over time. But that's not NEARLY enough to save this abomination.

Despite the terrible game, the trophies are quite workable for me. Most notably, I actually enjoyed the trophy which required me to upgrade accessories; without it, I would never have known about this great idea. Other trophies explore post-game, the armor and weapon system, etc. It's not flashy, but it gets the job done.

However, no amount of decent trophies saves this. Please, Square - fire Motomu Toriyama. Or better yet, make him work in a fitness club somewhere, like Konami does to its employees.

1L617665.png  GOD OF WAR

First Trophy: December 17th, 2009(!)

Platinum Achieved: March 10th, 2015 

This was a great game when it was released, and it's a great game now. God of War is easily the best of the series. Who recalls when Kratos actually seemed multi-dimensional as a character? Also, this game feels far less linear than any of its sequels. Combat is solid as always. I liked this game then, and I like it now.

Trophy Grade: A

Trophies done smart and done right. Some of them even have clever names: "Zero - health = bronze trophy" and "getting my ass kicked" are two of my favorites. The speed run trophy feels almost perfect here. Also, the massive delay in platting this shouldn't be seen as a knock - I didn't own the game until 2014 (having borrowed it for a few hours back in 2009).

Final Grade: A

The best of the GoW games, IMHO. You would be sorry to miss it.

1L3440aa.png  GOD OF WAR II

First Trophy: December 19th, 2009(!)

Platinum Achieved: March 12th, 2015 

In describing Shaquille O'Neal, a friend of mine once said that he had a decision to become great, or become fat. He chose fat. I feel the same way about God of War II. While this is still a fun arcade-like experience, it does little to build on the greatness of its predecessor, and set the tone for the clones which followed. Still a good game, but this could have been so much more. The story, in particular, takes a massive nosedive, with plot coupons that would buy out chain stores.

Solid trophies as always, but not as good as the previous installment. In particular, I missed one of the "uber chests", which kept me away from this for many years. Still, I really liked what the GoW people did with trophies in general (and I love the names).

Still worth your time (particularly in HD), but a step down from the greatness of God of War.

1Ldd56de.png  SAINT'S ROW IV

First Trophy: February 28th, 2015

Platinum Achieved: March 14th, 2015 (100% achieved March 14th, 2015)

At some point, too much is too much. Saint's Row IV is still a fun game, but this incarnation feels really tired from the outset. Space aliens attack the world, and put everyone into virtual reality? That might have been funny 10 years ago. The action is still solid, but the superpowers negate much of the car chase fun (and further, your character just looks stupid jumping around). It's still a good game, but definitely the worst of the three I played on PS3.

POINTLESS COLLECTIBLES SHOULD BE BANNED. Even with a map, they are annoying.

Again, if you liked the other ones, you'll like this one, but less.

1L132e02.png  KATAMARI FOREVER

First Trophy: September 27th, 2009(!)

Platinum Achieved: March 17th, 2015 

Unlike many of my long-run plats, where I just quit out on the game, I actually played Katamari quite a bit (my wife loves it). This game retains the strength of previous entries, although the remixed soundtrack is a major letdown. Still, having the game in HD really helps (the blur back in the day would hurt my eyes). 

Collect every object in the game? Well, get ready for a LOT of guides. I mean, I found over 4000 of them on my own, and I still needed a guide for over 100! Add to that the stupid punishment minigame, and the trophies were somewhat less than satisfactory. No trophies for shooting starts, but lots of stuff for grinding out? No es bueno. I liked many of the trophies here, but it could have been much better.

I normally don't fawn over remixed versions of older games, but I got a lot of mileage out of this one. Very enjoyable, although the plat is harder than you would think.

1Lea972e.png  PRINCE OF PERSIA: WARRIOR WITHIN

First Trophy: March 17th, 2015

Platinum Achieved: March 31th, 2015 

Who likes this? I don't even know what to say to you. This game is atrocious, and I'm sure it was atrocious upon release. I'll never understand the appeal of the PS2-era PoP games. But this one is just a crap stain on your virtual underwear. They even managed to screw up a metal soundtrack (which is woefully out of place, and even more poorly recorded). And Ubisoft couldn't even be bothered to fix the glitches? I mean, they certainly found the time to remove the old PoP titles from this collection.

The trophies would be OK if I didn't have to play this thing 3 separate times. Oh, and if there wasn't a chance of the game glitching out at the end.

Avoid. Like the plague.

1Ld59249.png  LA NOIRE

First Trophy: April 21st, 2012

Platinum Achieved: April 2nd, 2015 (100% achieved August 17th, 2015) 

I wanted this game to be better. LA Noire is a good enough game, but has enough annoyance to drop it to a B. I particularly disliked the interview system, which made no sense. Often, you would accuse people of lying on the flimsiest of circumstantial evidence. Searching for clues in the umpteenth crime scene got old, and don't even get me started on the horrendous use of collectibles. But the surface stuff was good, at least (good graphics, good voicework), and control was tight. Not bad, but not great.

Did the Japanese take over this trophy list? What a bunch of crap. Find randomly placed gold film canisters, which have no purpose in the game? Ugh. Driving by sites was at least OK. But then...I have to unlock all of the cars? Needless to say, it's not hard to see why I gave up on this game for so long (and, even when I got the plat, I still didn't bother with the 100% for months, despite the fact that I had all DLC from the outset).

Some people really love this game. I don't. Honestly, I enjoy this less than many of the one-day kid's games that I played.

1Lb27bd0.png  SHERLOCK HOLMES: CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS

First Trophy: March 10th, 2015

Platinum Achieved: April 4th, 2015  

Another solid outing for Sherlock Holmes and company. Again, I enjoyed the voice work and dialogue in this one. Again, I was annoyed by the control. At least I wasn't forced to cross that rope bridge for the plat. 

Standard trophies. I would have liked more in-game meaning to some of the character profiles. But again - at least I didn't have to cross the rope bridge for the plat.

If you liked the first one, you'll like this. It's pretty much the same.

1L9b10ff.png  NI NO KUNI

First Trophy: June 15th, 2014

Platinum Achieved: April 7th, 2015  

What a great game. Ni No Kuni really takes me back. It's the best throwback-style JRPG on the system (and probably the best in two generations). I love the overworld map with its hidden secrets. I love the "Go to Town A and solve their problem in Dungeon B" mentality. And the icing on the cake? What incredible graphics! Seriously - Square could learn a lot from the art design of Level 5 games. All in all, a joy to play...

...but not a joy to plat. It's a JRPG, so of COURSE you'll be grinding pointlessly. Completing the errands becomes a chore of incredible tedium. You'll never need the armor and weapons you create, but God - are they a pain to create! Most require rare drops from rare enemies. I was pretty fortunate that the drops came relatively quickly, and I still got bored with it.

If you played JRPGs in the Golden Age of the SNES, you shouldn't miss this one. However, the plat is a chore.

1L89f53d.png  DEMON'S SOULS (JP)

First Trophy: November 8th, 2012

Platinum Achieved: May 10th, 2015  

Well, I loved this game before, and I still love it now.

I hated grinding out materials for some of the trophies (hence the long delay), but honestly, the trophies here aren't that bad.

Still a great game, even the second time through.

1Ld55f52.png  ROGUE LEGACY

First Trophy: April 28th, 2015

Platinum Achieved: May 13th, 2015  

Rarity: ULTRA RARE

Finally! A great throwback platformer! Rogue Legacy really reminded me of playing platformers in the 16-bit era. I enjoyed the random dungeon design, as well as the mansion building (which was really character building). Fantastic challenge from the remix bosses. Probably my favorite game from PS+ this year (although that's certainly damning with faint praise).

The trophies would be A+ material, were it not for the collectible trophies. But it was annoying to grab all the blueprints. Still, that "no death" trophy made it all worthwhile.

Another solid throwback that should not be missed.

1L5a578e.png  DEADLY PREMONITION: THE DIRECTOR'S CUT

First Trophy: May 14th, 2015

Platinum Achieved: May 19th, 2015  

This game sucks. I give it a D because there was potential. But that's it. It isn't actualized in the least. This is Twin Peaks only in the sense that at times, it blatantly rips off lines and scenes from Twin Peaks. Make no mistake - this is lousy Japanese dreck masquerading as art.

The trophies are better than the game, but still annoying. I liked the fact that you could find descriptions of when to visit to complete the tasks, but the weather conditions just really messed that up for me. And sometime, it just rains for days. Oh, that's a plot point? Well, thanks for letting me know, jackass.

It was free on PS+, and I still didn't get my money's worth. Avoid. 

1Leb13e8.png  RISE OF THE GUARDIANS

First Trophy: May 31st, 2015

Platinum Achieved: June 1st, 2015  

One of the stranger games I've played. Rise of the Guardians is a pretty mundane Gauntlet-style button-masher. Run around, kill enemies, get experience. But what makes it weird is that, out of the blue, the final boss with challenge you, and the game ends. I had still not gone through all of the worlds when this happened. It doesn't make the game bad (although the monotony of the experience doesn't help), but it does make it seem that the developers didn't really pay much attention to it.

Easy, and decent enough. The only slightly annoying trophy is the one requiring you to kill off all the monsters, as sometimes, they'll hide quite well.

This game began my one week trial of PSNow, and it's perfect for that. Anything else? Only trophy hunters need apply.

1Lbcabf0.png  THE RAVEN

First Trophy: June 1st, 2015

Platinum Achieved: June 2nd, 2015  

After enjoying two bouts of Sherlock Holmes, I decided to give The Raven a try (once again, on PSNow). Unfortunately, this one doesn't live up to those expectations. Control is incredibly annoying. Often, it is difficult to figure out what you need to do. And finally, on two occasions, I just got stuck and couldn't progress. Thankfully, I had past saves, and the interwebz explained my "mistake" (i.e. the developer's design flaws), but all in all, this was a pretty mediocre disappointment.

Trophies are annoying as well. There are easily missable ones, so you might want to follow a guide. (Note that even with a guide, I still got stuck twice.)

Unlike the Sherlock Holmes adventures, this one doesn't really make the grade.

1Lfda956.png  BEN 10 OMNIVERSE 2

First Trophy: June 3rd, 2015

Platinum Achieved: June 4th, 2015  

Wow - I had no expectations for this game, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Omniverse 2 is a "runner" style game, and it was quite fun. Not a whole lot of content, but what's there was more than satisfactory.

The trophies are OK, but nothing special. I was annoyed at the trophy requiring me to break so many tanks - there weren't nearly enough tanks in a playthrough to do this!

Another perfect PSNow game. 

1Lefadba.png  MADAGASCAR 3

First Trophy: June 2nd, 2015

Platinum Achieved: June 6th, 2015  

Madagascar 3 is your standard kid's game. Run through a city performing easy, menial tasks, and then follow this with some minigame section. I actually enjoyed the minigames quite a bit, but that enthusiasm was tempered by the lousy city sections.

Holy smokes - 790 collectibles? Are you kidding me?!?

A fun enough game, but the trophies are a real slog. I very nearly failed to plat this because PSNow was down for a day (nice thing you got there, Sony).

1L8b81e9.png  BEN 10 GALACTIC RACING

First Trophy: June 11th, 2015

Platinum Achieved: June 12th, 2015  

Mario Kart is another game that is hard to copy. Galactic Racers does a pretty admirable job. I was generally pleased in playing through the races. No, it isn't Mario Kart, but it's fun enough for a couple of days as a rental.

The trophies don't do the game justice. While most are reasonable, the ones requiring you to perform various in-race actions are ridiculous, and require an unnecessary (and unfun) grind. 

Not worth a purchase, but this was a game from my local library. It's perfect as a rental.

PLATS 126-150

1L2965d1.png  MURDERED: SOUL SUSPECT

First Trophy: June 14th, 2015

Platinum Achieved: June 15th, 2015  

LOL. Talk about undeveloped potential. Soul Suspect has greatness written all over it. A ghost, trying to solve his own murder? Demons that seek to carry him to hell? Unfortunately, this game is a slog from the outset. There is no detective work in the least. The demons present themselves either as easily avoidable (and very crappy) floor traps, or silly stealth enemies that are simple to dispatch. Instead, you walk from point A to point B, picking up collectibles until you get to one of the most ridiculous endings I've seen in a while.

The trophies are bad, but compared to the game, they don't look as bad. They're just a bunch of collectible trophies. That's really it. They have little to nothing to do with the actual game.

Avoid. I don't know if this is developer incompetence, or a publisher rush job (given that Square is the publisher, let's bet on the latter). But this game sucks. 

1L2586b3.png  METAL GEAR SOLID PEACE WALKER HD

First Trophy: October 28th, 2012

Platinum Achieved: June 17th, 2015  

Here's a dirty secret - Peace Walker is the best Metal Gear Title in years. Forgoing the yawn-inducing cut scenes from wannabe auteur Kojima, Peace Walker is a slimmed-down, mission-based masterpiece. Almost everything in the game works well (my only possible gripe would be the QTEs during the minimal cutscenes). I particularly love the fact that you can go in all guns blazing, and not be punished hard for it (in fact, there are many in-game rewards for the Rambo types). Plus, there's a great online as well. 

The trophies are mostly great as well. My biggest complaint was the "trade" trophy, because it was so hard to get the game to accept your trade (I finally had to rent another copy, play to the point where I could trade, and trade among myself using two PS3s).

Don't miss this game that truly shows what Metal Gear should be. The fact that this was on a handheld first is astounding.

1L76b02a.png  MARVEL SUPER HERO SQUAD: THE INFINITY GAUNTLET

First Trophy: June 17th, 2015

Platinum Achieved: June 19th, 2015  

For the most part, this beat 'em up is typical B-grade stuff in the vein of Lego-style games. However, the control often betrays you here, so I have to knock it a point.

Wow - the challenges in this game aren't a pushover! 

Great for a rental, but not much else.

1L13ee68.png  DRAGON AGE: INQUISITION

First Trophy: June 19th, 2015

Platinum Achieved: July 9th, 2015 (100% achieved March 23rd, 2016) 

While no one will sing the praises of this lousy port, the content is more than satisfactory. I have always liked Dragon Age, but this game takes the cake. While people might not like unlocking the missions in real time, I found that it worked well for the game (and I was never waiting around for missions or wondering if I should set my clock forward). A huge hub with numerous worlds to which I can travel, populated by NPCs that feel real to me. And of course, choices matter! Now, if I didn't have to go through a scare when the game failed to recognize my save files for a time (when I was about 50 hours in), we would have A-grade stuff.

Arguably the best set of trophies on the system. I love the fact that I got the plat upon completing the game, and that I did this (mostly) without a guide, and still felt challenged! Difficulty trophies (finally!). Completion trophies (but without pointless collectibles!). Inquisition brings the goods. 

Definitely play it on the PS4 if you can, but even on the PS3, Inquisition is worth your time. 

1L027f14.png  BEN 10 OMNIVERSE

First Trophy: July 10th, 2015

Platinum Achieved: July 11th, 2015  

I wondered why people were sour on the Ben 10 games. I had enjoyed the two I played. However, if I had played them in order, I might not have bothered. Omniverse is definitely the worst of the lot. It's incredibly easy, and it has some of the most ridiculous QTEs ever. I think I had to do the final boss 14 times, memorizing each step of the QTE in sequence.

Nothing offensive, but nothing special, either. 

Maybe worth a rental, but honestly, trophy hunters only.

1L8b875e.png  ALICE: MADNESS RETURNS

First Trophy: July 1st, 2013

Platinum Achieved: July 15th, 2015  

I won't lie - I bought this game for around ten bucks (in physical form), began with American McGee's Alice, and shook my head at its awfulness. Putting it on the shelf for a couple of years, I finally returned and decided to ignore the earlier abomination and focus on the game I purchased. Turns out - it's a good game. Not great (camera problems, e.g., mar the proceedings), but solid. I really like the art here, and the voicework is competent. But combat is so much better than in the earlier offering that it's not even funny. How critics liked the former, I'll never know. But even if you hated it (and you probably did), give its sequel a chance, and you won't be sorry.

Good trophies, but not great. They do what they should, and nothing more.

Again, give it a try. You might be surprised.

1L34713e.png  BORDERLANDS 2

First Trophy: December 31st, 2013

Platinum Achieved: August 2nd, 2015  

Borderlands 2 improves in so many ways on Borderlands. I really liked the perk system here (although I was sad that they abandoned completely the weapon affinity from Borderlands). The writing is top-notch (as usual), and the voicework is great. Two separate NG+ modes also feels right, and I love the fact that when you begin overleveling, you get REALLY powerful. Control remains tight, and the shooter action is among my favorite in the genre.

The trophies vary from fantastic to terrible. I like the double rainbow a lot (although you'd probably never find it on your own). But I hated Jimmy Jenkins. I liked shooting that guy in the face for a trophy. But I hated finding that dude who gave me a free weapon. There is more great than bad here, but the bad is more than enough to reduce the overall score.

If you liked the first, you'll like this one. If not, you probably won't. I did, and this one is great. 

1Lcac9f5.png  UNDER DEFEAT

First Trophy: August 3rd, 2015

Platinum Achieved: August 5th, 2015  

Shoot 'em ups (which, inexplicably, go by the stupid name of shmup nowadays) are generally very difficult, but very rewarding. Not Under Defeat. This game is fun enough, but it is way too easy (particularly if you play in co-op). I also don't like the colors here, which seem to go through about 100 shades of brown. Not a bad game (particularly for the price for which I bought it), but just not enough to give it more than an average grade.

The problem with these trophies is that you have to play through the game over and over again, and there isn't enough challenge to warrant it. They're not hard in the least, but I wanted more out of this.

An OK game for cheap (or a rental), but nothing special.

1L592f1f.png  PIER SOLAR AND THE GREAT ARCHITECTS

First Trophy: August 5th, 2015

Platinum Achieved: August 12th, 2015  

First 50: #12 (as of October 9th, 2015)

I will confess - I was not happy with this game when I initially purchased it. Having hoped for another trip down memory lane, Per Solar just played too strangely (most notably, it's wonky control while hunting through secret passages). But as I progressed, I began to like this game more and more, and as I have distanced myself from it, Pier Solar ends up being a pretty damn good game. The challenge in the game is artificial (once you know which accessory to equip, things get pretty easy, although one of the early bosses is a killer), but the dialogue and the graphics are solid, and the combat is good, too.

These trophies are mostly great. I particularly like the trophy tiles here. The one negative is the "buy all items" trophy. Why this isn't a "collect all items" trophy, I'll never know. Also, these trophies are a little glitchy (but in a good way - I got the trophy for finding all treasure chests long before I had opened all treasure chests).

If you like JRPGs from the past, this is worth your while. It's not on par with, say, Final Fantasy VI (what is?), but it is much better than, say, Dragon Fantasy, Book II.

1L84a87b.png  DRAGON'S CROWN

First Trophy: September 26th, 2013

Platinum Achieved: August 17th, 2015  

I don't get the love for this game. Some people swear by it, but I found it to be remarkably tedious. Having purchased this because I loved the beat 'em ups of the past, I was disappointed at how easy this game was (I never lost a single life until the final boss). Then, people told me that once I got to the harder difficulties, it would be better. Nope - same ol' same ol'. After beating it 3 separate times (all solo), including all optional bosses, I felt like I had done enough.

The trophies are a mess. How anyone figured out that you had to lead the dragon across multiple screens so that he would fall, in order to get a single ingredient for a meal, I'll never know. For the most part, trophies are either story, grindy, or stupid. 

VanillaWare is the most overrated developer there is. Seriously. Had I known that this game was from the makers of the atrocious Odin's Sphere, I never would have purchased it. This one isn't as bad as that, but it's still pretty mediocre.

1L6f4f26.png  PLAYSTATION ALL-STARS BATTLE ROYALE

First Trophy: May 25th, 2015

Platinum Achieved: August 18th, 2015  

Another wannabe Smash Bros, and another so so effort. Battle Royale isn't a stinkfest, but the characters are terribly unbalanced, and the design is horribly flawed. It is hard to believe that normal punches have absolutely no effect on characters, and serve only to build up your own meter. SP mode is an absolute joke, but multiplayer mode is solid enough. And what's with the long load times?

Decent enough, but nothing special. Most of the online trophies can be easily boosted now (the only one I didn't boost was the one for killing off three people with a special). But slogging through the boring story mode for each character is enough to bring down any list.

Again, it's not offensive, but it's nothing special. Fair enough as a free game, I guess.  

1L63208b.png  MAGUS

First Trophy: August 23rd, 2015

Platinum Achieved: August 24th, 2015  

People hate this game. I don't know why. Magus is a joke to be sure, but it's fun enough to play. I remember that my final stats when I beat the game were around 1000 in every category, and I beat the final enemies with ease. I couldn't believe that I would be able to take these numbers so high! They are currently at over 7000 for each category.

Are there easier trophies on the system? Even Megamind required you to beat bosses without taking damage.

Magus is ugly, and short. But like I said - it's fun enough to play.

1L243b07.png  THE WOLF AMONG US

First Trophy: August 29th, 2015

Platinum Achieved: September 1st, 2015  

Ugh. I've never been a fan of Bill Willingham. His Fables comics would be so much better if written by an auteur like Neil Gaiman. But I had hoped that TellTale would work its magic in this video game. Nope. While the art is to die for, and the music calls up the 80s (in which this game is apparently set), the rest of the game is mind-numbingly stupid. I can't see how anyone would invest emotion in these...things. They may have lived for centuries, but they are every bit as reprehensible as the worst trailer park trash you've seen on Jerry Springer. Oh, and the PS3 version is terrible.

The trophies are pretty solid. In addition to the standard plot trophies, there are collectible trophies. Normally, I would dislike that, but here, it works. The collectibles open interesting snippets within the game, and getting all collectibles requires you to visit many of the choices you made in the game. 

It's easy enough, but multiple crashes coupled with uninspired characters and story make this a forgettable experience.

1L47879f.png  TESLAGRAD

First Trophy: September 2nd, 2015

Platinum Achieved: September 5th, 2015  

I disliked Teslagrad immediately upon playing it, and in general, I don't like physics-based games. But Teslagrad really grew on me. I started to dig looking through the scrolls to see what happened in this world (as well as watching the puppet shows). And by the end, I was actually kind of sad to see the game go. Not bad, particularly for a free game.

I like that many trophies are based on finding the scrolls, as these scrolls are the only way to understand the backdrop of the game. But ALL of the trophies? Not a single trophy for the game itself (and, in particular, for the great final boss fight)? Almost unacceptable.

Again, this isn't a bad game in the least. It certainly isn't the A-game that so many critics suggest, but it's worth your time.

1L7359a2.png  MIDDLE-EARTH: SHADOW OF MORDOR

First Trophy: September 5th, 2015

Platinum Achieved: September 22nd, 2015  

This is probably the single worst port of a game I've ever played. The fact that I still give it a C- is a testament to the excellent source material. Shadow of Mordor is a great game, mired in an atrocious package. Quest-based games just fall on their faces when load times are this bad. But I loved the story, I loved the combat, and I loved the ideas here.

Trophy Grade: A+

Trophies done right. 

Play this on the PS4.

1Lc0b30d.png  OKAMI HD

First Trophy: September 15th, 2015

Platinum Achieved: October 8th, 2015  

What a good game. How did I miss this in the PS2 generation? Okami is a solid Legend of Zelda-type adventure. Much of the game is taken from Japanese mythology - expect to see famous characters like (Iza)nagi and (Iza)nami, Susano(-o), Orochi, and of course, the benevolent Amaterasu. In...wolf form. Taking a piss like a male dog. OK - so that didn't work so well, but this game still does. I knock it a bit because the sidekick character was remarkably annoying...pretty much always.

Again, solid trophies! And look at those tiles! Probably the nicest trophy tiles of any game on the system.

This was a great pickup at a flash sale. I highly recommend it (and again - I don't usually recommend remasters, which I find to be somewhat lazy).

1L6b2769.png  HOTLINE MIAMI

First Trophy: October 14th, 2015

Platinum Achieved: October 20th, 2015  

Another hype train indie, but this one manages to deliver the goods. Hotline isn't perfect, but it's solid arcade action with a soundtrack that is just awesome. My only gripes are an idiot story that was obviously ret-conned, and wonky lock-on mechanics. But this is worth your while - I'm glad I looked through my old download list!

More trophies done right. Yes, there are collectible trophies, but the collectibles have major purpose within the game. And the rest of the trophies are awarded for performing particular actions, or for story stuff, and that's always great. My only complaint is there was no way to track, in game, what weapons you had used. But that's just minor.

I've been lucky recently with PSN titles. Hotline Miami was free on PS+ ages ago, and I managed to have the foresight to buy it without downloading it. I would recommend it to anyone who recalls fondly the days of arcades with stand-up machines.

1L96319f.png  DYNASTY WARRIORS 8

First Trophy: July 16th, 2013

Platinum Achieved: October 25th, 2015  

I've been a fan of Dynasty Warriors titles since the PS1 era. Dynasty Warriors 8 deleted a couple of things I liked from DW7 (the extra mode allowed you to play as a lot of forgotten characters with different storylines, and the quiz bowl stuff was a lot of fun), and replaces it with a pretty uninspiring Ambition Mode. Also, the Jin kingdom is pretty boring - Lu Bu would have been a much more interesting storyline. But the main gameplay remains solid, and the wailing guitars of ancient China are as awesome as ever. This series is creaky now, but still delivers a decent experience to fans.

Trophy Grade: D-

Ugh. What a pointless, POINTLESS grind for this plat. 1300+ basic battles in Ambition mode, to raise meaningless bonds? 230+ rare weapons, which are crappier than the level 4 weapons I can create? This list would get an F, were it not for the hilariously inept (and often creepy) comments made by male soldiers to female characters while raising bonds. There's a reason this plat is ultra rare, though, and it ain't difficulty.

It's hard for me to separate the trophy experience from the game experience here. I was done with a majority of the trophies within a couple of weeks of purchase. Two full years later, I have the plat. Buyer beware - it's a fun enough game, but a lousy trophy experience.

1L3c3627.png  HUNTED: THE DEMON'S FORGE

First Trophy: April 2nd, 2012

Platinum Achieved: November 6th, 2015  

I bought this game on the cheap back in 2012, played through the prologue, and apparently, hated it. It sat on my shelf for over 3 years. I only just saw it a couple of days ago, and decided to pick it up again. And who knew? It's not bad. Not perfect, but I enjoyed the frenetic arcade-style shooting action (although I hated the cover system). Crucible Mode was a good idea; I'm sorry I didn't get to utilize it, since this game was on the Gamespy servers. But all in all, not a bad buy. A shame it took me years to see why.

Remarkably good trophies. I had feared that, with online functions disabled, some of the trophies might be a pain. But honestly, it only added about an extra 30 minutes or so to my game time to create the dungeons necessary. I even enjoyed the collectibles. In fact, the only reason I drop its grade is because of rumors of glitches in the crystal collection. But all in all, these trophies are quite solid.

Again, Hunted isn't a bad way to spend a couple of days, and with a collectible guide, that's all it really takes. I'm glad I played it.

1L712fc0.png  THE WALKING DEAD (SEASON 1 - PS4)

First Trophy: November 23rd, 2015

Platinum Achieved: November 24th, 2015 (100% - November 24th, 2015)  

I go back and forth on whether I think TWD1 or TWD2 is the better experience, and I think it depends on which one I've played last. I really like the story in this one, and although choices ultimately have little effect on the game, I like the psychological aspect. I drop this to a B+ because this game includes the odious "400 Days". I still can't believe this was ever released as premium DLC. It should be buried in a landfill somewhere.

As before, the trophies get the job done, but not much else. Still, it's relaxing to play a game every now and then without worrying about collectibles and the like.

Playing this again felt like visiting a friend.

1L8b7a48.png  THE ORDER: 1886

First Trophy: December 2nd, 2015

Platinum Achieved: December 2nd, 2015   

What a mess this game is. It drips with potential, but it feels like a rush job. I wish the developers had put as much thought into the concepts here as they did into the graphics. However, technically, it's a masterpiece, with solid shooter action (when you're not sitting through cutscenes, which is about half of the game). The QTEs and collectibles are poorly done, however.

The trophies are either good or bad. The collectible trophies are an annoyance - it's hard to care about collectibles if the game doesn't even recognize that you found them. Tons of documents are never referenced again in this linear game. The weapon trophies are better, although most will be farmed (it's rare you would ever use the stun ability of your rifle, e.g., since shooting the enemy stuns just as much, but actually causes damage).

A disappointment. It's not the pile of feces that Murdered: Soul Suspect was, but it suffers from the same unrealized potential problem.

1Ldb7957.png  PIER SOLAR AND THE GREAT ARCHITECTS (PS4)

First Trophy: December 3rd, 2015

Platinum Achieved: December 10th, 2015   

First 50: #31 (as of December 11th, 2015)

Playing through a game a 2nd time (or, in the case of Pier Solar, a 3rd and 4th time) gives one the opportunity to re-evaluate his position. There are many things to like about Pier Solar. It has a great look, and great music. The battle system is solid. But there are many things to dislike as well. The story is developed incredibly poorly (too bad - it had great potential). A lack of variety in enemies completely overpowers the elemental accessories. There are numerous missable chests and even areas. A good game still, but not a great one.

That's Slippery! will test good gamers. But Shopaholic will test only their patience. It's sad that I pumped my fist more when I got the latter than the former. A good list, but not a great one, but again, that's the Pier Solar way. I liked these trophies better the first time.

Once again, I recommend this to anyone who loved the JRPGs of yesteryear, but mostly, Pier Solar made me wish that companies like Square, Enix, Konami and Capcom would re-release their old games with trophies.

1Lc78509.png  TALES FROM THE BORDERLANDS

First Trophy: October 11th, 2015

Platinum Achieved: December 28th, 2015   

Again, Telltale disappoints with its PS3 port, but Tales from the Borderlands manages to capture the humor that has been lost in a lot of Telltale games recently. When it worked, I enjoyed playing it immensely.

I remember a rumor back in the day that Sony would start awarding trophies to people for watching movies and the like. This is pretty much the same thing. Lazy trophies with even lazier images.

If you can play it on the PS4, do so, but even if you can't, Tales from the Borderlands offers a fun experience

1L7b8776.png  BLOODBORNE

First Trophy: November 19th, 2015

Platinum Achieved: December 31st, 2015   

Bloodborne doesn't climb to the heights of Dark Souls, but it still satisfies immensely. It's few flaws can be overlooked, if only for the vision and ambition that developer FROM continues to show. It's nice to see a Japanese company not stoop to the same "rinse/repeat" tactics that completely destroy their businesses. Huge boss fights reminiscent more of those found in Castlevania on the NES and SNES, an eerie Victorian atmosphere, and a great nod to horror make Bloodborne a "can't miss" title on the PS4. 

It's remarkable to see a Japanese game with good trophies, and this is 3 now! Bloodborne rewards you for exploration (many of the bosses are completely optional, and areas even more so), thoroughness (beating the Pthumerian Queen requires a massive commitment to the Chalice Dungeons), and of course, gumption (because I wanted to use one old man word in this review). Great stuff.

I remain stunned that FROM software continually delivers hit after hit, while mainstays like Capcom, Konami, and Squeenix continue to flounder. 

1L1df194.png  ALPHA PROTOCOL

First Trophy: April 15th, 2011(!)

Platinum Achieved: January 4th, 2016   

I don't know why I didn't get into this game. Somehow, it got put on the back burner. It deserved better. Alpha Protocol is my single favorite choice-driven game on the PS3 system. A compelling story mixes with well done characters and a fun arcade-like gaming experience. The game skews too much towards stealth, but that doesn't ruin the fun. Developer Obsidian has always had good ideas, but unfortunate realization (remember the glitch-ridden Fallout: NV?). Alpha Protocol runs (relatively) well. 

I can't tell you how I would do trophies for a game like Alpha Protocol, where choice changes the experience so much. I can tell you how I wouldn't do them, though. And I wouldn't do them like this. In order to plat this, you are basically fixed to rails. Your choices are so pre-determined that even the slightest change can require another complete playthrough. It's a shame to need to follow a guide this strongly for a game that invites you to play how you want.

Trophies slightly sour this experience, but Alpha Protocol is a game not to be missed by RPG fans.

Edited by starcrunch061
fixin' stuff
  • Like 3

PLATS 151-175

1La9fe5c.png  GAUNTLET

First Trophy: December 7th, 2015

Platinum Achieved: January 5th, 2016   

What Gauntlet does, it does well. I loved smashing monsters. However, some stage variety would have been nice. This pales in comparison to Gauntlet: Dark Legacy for the PS2, but it's still a fun, mindless button-masher with a bit of difficulty and a lot of fun.

The trophies aren't super exciting, but they'll do. I don't mind the grind trophies (in fact, in my playthrough, I killed 50,000 enemies with two separate characters. Beating the game on Hard mode offers a modicum of challenge, and beating 49 floors of Endless mode was pretty good as well. But with so few stages, the grinding does get old, particularly for Orcs, who didn't really have a good grind point within the main game. I wish trophies were available for the capes you get online. That was a lot of fun.

A fun game. Not the best it could have been, but better than average for sure.

1L12c265.png  GRIM FANDANGO REMASTERED

First Trophy: January 6th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: January 7th, 2016   

Probably the single most overrated game I've ever played, Grim Fandango doesn't overtly offend, but it hardly surpasses. Pretty cut-and-dry point-and-click. The story elements are nice, and the aesthetic is pleasing, but they don't really overcome a pretty humdrum, "satire of noire" plot. Control was a sore spot for me as well, and the puzzles at times are just stupid (the "escape the boat" puzzle was particularly annoying).

The trophies are easy, although they require little more than scrolling through tons of text to see particular phrases. Seriously. 

It was a PS+ giveaway, and it was worth the free plat. Otherwise, let the PC folks keep this one.

1Laf72a5.png  BROKEN AGE

First Trophy: January 8th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: January 10th, 2016   

For the first act of Broken Age, I was stunned. A Double Fine game that actually rose above pure mediocrity! But alas - what started with a bang ended with a pathetic whimper. Act 1 of Broken Age introduces a great story concept. The puzzles are accessible (some might say too easy, though given that I just finished Grim Fandango, I'm not one of them). The end scene is great. Act 2 ruins everything. The story is jettisoned. And the puzzles become just ridiculous. On the plus side, the art in the game is fantastic - I would love to see some JRPGs use this style. But honestly, the story behind the game is more interesting than the story in the game. And those stupid Hexipal puzzles!

Trophy Grade: F

These trophies would be impossible without a guide. Honestly, simply interpreting what you need to do would be impossible. That's not what kills things, though. What kills things is the stupidity of the trophies. Get 20 responses on why you can't do something. Try to use a...spoon on different items, and get 30 different responses. And some responses just don't count. And of course, the speed run. You know, because if there's something that makes point-and-click more fun, it's a speed run!

Final Grade: C-

I feel sorry for the folks who funded this. Not as easy a plat as Grim Fandango, but honestly, another plat is all it's worth.

1Lfb4a77.png  DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: XTREME LEGENDS

First Trophy: October 25th, 2015

Platinum Achieved: January 16th, 2016   

Rarity: ULTRA RARE

No surprises here: DW8:XL hews close to the tried-and-true formula that has been in place for years now. The additions are, quite honestly, not worth talking about. I only played this to get more use out of my leveled characters from DW8. If you like Dynasty Warriors, you'll like this. If not, this won't change your mind.

Much better trophy experience than DW8. While it will still feel grindy by the end, it's much more fun trying to achieve A ranks, or complete goals, than it is trying to build bonds in a dead Ambition mode. I like the use of bodyguards in this game, and Ultimate difficulty actually adds a new element to the game, as character builds start to matter.

Can you ever get enough Dynasty Warriors? On second thought, don't answer that.

1L5a5b1b.png  DYNASTY WARRIORS 8: XTREME LEGENDS (PS4)

First Trophy: January 17th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: January 18th, 2016   

Obviously, this is the same game as above (although this game does include all of the stages from DW8, even if there are no trophies for them). I drop the grade because this game actually runs worse on the PS4 than it does on the PS3.

No different from the above, other than higher requirements in challenges, which are actually more easily met, since the PS4 allows for more enemies to be on the screen. God bless autopop!

Apparently, I cannot get enough Dynasty Warriors.

1Ld66a93.png  BARBIE AND HER SISTERS: PUPPY RESCUE

First Trophy: February 7th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: February 9th, 2016   

Game Grade: D+

Yeah, yeah - I know: what did you expect? Well, even for a cash grab, this is pretty bad. The game is so easy, I can't see it appealing to anyone over the age of 4, and I don't think 4-year-olds can easily hold the controller. On the plus side, the puppies are cute, and the Barbie characters look more or less like their toy counterparts (although all 5 of the adults that populate the town are monstrously ugly). But the gameplay is insipid from the first moment, and even though it's just a seven-hour plat or so, it feels like it drags almost immediately.

In a better game, these trophies might have been fun. Mostly, they are rewards for the many minigames present here. 

Even for trophy whoring, this is suspect. Play Snoopy instead (which I'll be adding soon).

1Lfa9510.png  SNOOPY'S GRAND ADVENTURE

First Trophy: February 10th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: February 17th, 2016   

Rarity: UNCOMMON

Snoopy brings some grand ideas into the standard Mario-style platformer, but rarely (if ever) develops them. The game is pretty cut-and-dry; Snoopy has to set out to rescue the Peanuts gang from...something? Someone? I have literally no idea. The stages look quite nice, though, and play well also. Hidden throughout the stages are numerous collectibles, but they serve no purpose outside of trophies. Snoopy must don various disguises with different powers in order to find all of the collectibles and progress, but never for the sake of defeating enemies. Further, the game is blindingly easy. I had no disdain for this game, and at times, I enjoyed it, but can't help feeling disappointed at it overall. Potential unrealized.

Trophy Grade: C

Most of the trophies are obtained for finishing stages and finding collectibles. A few are awarded for performing certain actions, but you'll probably get them without even trying. There is one nice trophy for defeating a boss without getting hit. But mostly, they're pretty humdrum. They get knocked because of the totally stock images (obviously in place due to copyright - it boggles the mind that trophies for a game can't show images from the game). 

Better than Barbie. Much worse than Mario.

1L8a3cbe.png  DRAGON AGE: INQUISITION (PS4)

First Trophy: February 23th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: March 9th, 2016   

Game Grade: S-

Now this is more like it! Dragon Age: Inquisition on PS4 is one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. I happily played through the entire game a second time, and am currently enjoying playing through it a 3rd time for the trials. This game is worthy of each and every one of its accolades. Only a couple of minor hiccups ruined the experience. This is my favorite game from Bioware.

Trophy Grade: S

These are trophies that remind me why I like trophies. Story trophies. Challenge trophies. Exploration trophies. The game does it right.

Final Grade: S

Competes with Dark Souls as my favorite game experience in the post-PS2 era.

1Ld013df.png    FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 HD

First Trophy: March 13th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: March 16th, 2016   

It's not terrible. That's about the best I can say for Final Fantasy these days. But Type-0 is hardly a world-beater. The gameplay is repetitive, and the story is absurd. The characters are little more than blank slates, and are boring as hell. And the fact that Square actually believed people would play this game for 500+ hours is amazing to me. It's just the same stuff, over and over and over and over and...

...you get the point. Also, wasn't this game entitled Final Fantasy XIII Agito? I swear I remember that name. But whatever. Mediocrity breeds mediocrity. The sooner Square gets out of the Fabula Nova Crystallis, the better. Thank god for the leveling trick.

Trophy Grade: B+

In the hands of better developers, this could have been a good game, and the trophy list shows potential. Unfortunately, it is derailed by the utter pointlessness of the enterprise. Breed 100 chocobos...why? Find the airship...why? In fact, does the game even suggest, at any point, that there is an airship? Still, I can't penalize a list because the game itself sucks, and even if I could, these trophies are so easy that they deserve SOME credit for taking me from the game. And even if both of those things were false, those tiles are awesome.

For the biggest fans only.

1L5c95c4.png  XBLAZE LOST: MEMORIES

First Trophy: March 19th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: March 22nd, 2016   

My first "visual novel" ("virtual novel"? whatever). And...it's terrible. The game fails miserably as a story experience. If you're going to call your work a "novel", you need to do more than Lost: Memories does. Lots of exposition (delivered at odd times). Lots of plotholes and plot "skips" (I particularly liked the fact that one antagonist is randomly murdered, off screen, and his death merits one spoken line). And if the story fails to deliver, well, let's not even talk about the gameplay, which is non-existent. Only a few choices at the end, and none of them make a lick of sense. This is a terrible introduction to VNs, and should never have been put on sale by Sony. 

Decent enough. Certainly, they are very easy, but I can see how such trophies might have made sense for a better game. But here? Not much to say. The only way you'll miss the plat is if you ignore the gameplay segment (easy to do, since it's so bad), or fail to watch the extra memories you acquire (which are actually pretty funny, and better than the main story).

Fans of the series might like this, but honestly, I find it hard to believe that even they would appreciate this mess. For others thinking of playing VNs, go elsewhere. This is NOT the game with which to start such a journey.

1Le32c5e.png  DYNASTY WARRIORS: GUNDAM 2

First Trophy: April 23rd, 2009(!!!)

Platinum Achieved: March 31st, 2016   

Game Grade: B -

There is lots to like about Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2. The voice work is fun. The challenge is there (unlike many contemporary Dynasty Warriors titles, enemies hurt you, and bosses REALLY hurt you). There are tons of different mech suits, and they actually fight differently. The online mode (that no one played) is actually pretty fun. There is a lot of content. But much of this game is an unholy mess. The main culprit is a mission mode which is completely opaque. it is difficult to unlock missions without a guide, and tedious to activate them when they are finally unlocked. Often, activation requirements are hidden for no good reason. Some characters can't participate in certain missions, but with well over 100 different missions available, it can be hard to know when to do what. And Sleggar's story missions in mission mode? Even today, the activation requirements online are wrong. Moreover, missions are not unique, but have randomly generated objectives. The graphics of the game (outside of the mechs themselves) are atrocious. The environments look as if they belong on the PS1 (no hyperbole here). Of course, the missions are just extras to the "official mode", and you don't really have to complete each one...

Trophy Grade: D-

...oh, God. You DO have to complete every mission? Well, needless to say that trophies are a complete slog, adding the grind element found in many of these musou games to a confusing set of parameters (involving character affinities, previous mission completions, etc.) in order to finally plat this thing. And while I thank Koei for keeping the servers alive for the dead online, good luck doing this without boosting. 

Seven years. That's how long it took me to get this plat. Ugh.

1L6c2a31.png  OKAGE: SHADOW KING

First Trophy: March 23rd, 2016

Platinum Achieved: April 5th, 2016   

Rarity: VERY RARE (though this will change soon)

First 50: #17 (as of April 6th, 2016)

Okage was always a discount title, and that hasn't changed. But with the sad decline of JRPGs this generation, B really is the new A. This is a fun, simple title from a fun, simple time. No harems. No waifus. Okage wouldn't hold up against the competition in 2001, but it plays well enough now. My only problems were the hurried finish, and the bad camera angles (which were common for the era, even for good games). But combat is solid, turn-based action, and the story is actually pretty nice (this was a surprise). You can do (and I have done) a lot worse with titles at this price point.

Trophy Grade: A-

The trophies do the job they are meant to do. There are trophies attached to the major sidequests in the game (few though they are). There is a trophy for getting the rare Q of Hearts weapon (I ended up getting another one). There is an unnecessary leveling trophy and fund trophy, but for the most part, the game dodges the bullet of unnecessary grinding (no trophy for soul-binding each enemy successfully, or getting the item drops from each enemy, etc.). Good stuff.

No one who grew up on the great JRPGs of the SNES and PS1 era would be amazed by this title, but it plays well. This game would be a good template for an indie developer like Muteki for its next RPG.

1Le1afa8.png  ARCADE GAME SERIES: GALAGA

First Trophy: April 20th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: April 25th, 2016   

What can I say about Galaga that hasn't already been said? One of the greatest games of all time.The presentation here is particularly good. Namco hasn't always treated its excellent arcade library well, but here's hoping this is only the beginning of things to come.

Does an arcade game really need a plat? I don't mind, but it feels light (and Galaga is better than most). Still, I do love those trophy tiles.

Keep 'em coming, Bamco!

1L201f98.png  ARCADE GAME SERIES: PAC-MAN

First Trophy: April 23rd, 2016

Platinum Achieved: April 27th, 2016   

Broken record alert: what can I say about Pac-Man that hasn't already been said? One of the greatest games of all time.The presentation here is particularly good. Namco hasn't always treated its excellent arcade library well, but here's hoping this is only the beginning of things to come.

Does an arcade game really need a plat? I don't mind, but it feels light. Without impromptu save states (via the cloud), this might be difficult. But with them? Anyone can get the plat. Still, I do love those trophy tiles.

Keep 'em coming, Bamco!

1L654f14.png  ARCADE GAME SERIES: DIG DUG

First Trophy: April 23rd, 2016

Platinum Achieved: May 1st, 2016   

Broken record alert part deux: what can I say about Dig-Dug that hasn't already been said? One of the greatest games of all time.The presentation here is particularly good. Namco hasn't always treated its excellent arcade library well, but here's hoping this is only the beginning of things to come.

Does an arcade game really need a plat? I don't mind, but it feels light. Anyone can get the plat with little effort. Still, I do love those trophy tiles.

Keep 'em coming, Bamco!

1L5f181f.png  ARCADE GAME SERIES: MS. PAC MAN

First Trophy: May 7th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: May 13th, 2016   

Broken record alert part trois: what can I say about Ms. Pac-Man that hasn't already been said? One of the greatest games of all time.The presentation here is particularly good. Namco hasn't always treated its excellent arcade library well, but here's hoping this is only the beginning of things to come.

Does an arcade game really need a plat? I don't mind, but it feels light. Without impromptu save states (via the cloud), this might be difficult. But with them? Anyone can get the plat. Still, I do love those trophy tiles.

Keep 'em coming, Bamco!

1Laf8bb3.png  DARK SOULS III

First Trophy: April 12th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: May 15th, 2016   

Rarity: RARE

Dark Souls III does quite a few things well, but I can't help thinking that this is a step backward for the franchise. Many of the innovations of DS2 don't make their way here. and that's a shame. The gameplay is great as usual, but it feels all too perfunctory this time around. And the "legendary Souls difficulty" feels more like the non-existent Souls difficulty. At one point, I gave all of my rings to another player, just because I could. The story and lore seem almost a satire of Dark Souls.

Standard enough list, but I feel like these trophies are pretty boring this time around. Could you at least throw in something like "Beat N bosses without taking damage" or something? And with the lousy online (at least in regards to some covenants), grinding is almost mandatory.

I'm glad that Miyazaki is leaving the Souls franchise. I can't help but think that he was bored with this one. Still a great game, but it feels much more tired than I expected.

1La7fc8f.png  SALT AND SANCTUARY

First Trophy: April 30th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: May 20th, 2016   

Feeling a bit empty after Dark Souls, I decided to pick up the acclaimed Salt and Sanctuary. What a great game! I loved the aesthetic, and the platforming was fun as well. Combat was solid. The covenants were done exceptionally well. And the ending poems were awesome. My only gripe is when the game hugged too close to the Souls model. Leveling made the game too easy (as salt is about as common in that world as in our own). Side quest requirements are incredibly opaque (particularly the stupid sorcerer one). But all in all, I think I enjoyed this one more than Dark Souls III itself.

I love the fact that there is a trophy for beating the opening boss, and the images are awesome. The trophies make good sense, and require no collecting. However, forcing the player to join all of the covenants ruins the awesomeness of the covenants (unless, of course, you abuse Cloud saves). 

Bring on the sequel!

1Lce9c6b.png  SLEEPING DOGS: DEFINITIVE EDITION

First Trophy: May 16th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: May 24th, 2016   

I was eager to jump into the PS4 version of Sleeping Dogs, together with all of the DLC. Unfortunately, while the source material remains solid as ever, this edition is hardly "definitive". Glitches mar the experience (the game crashed on me numerous times, and the DLC maps never did what they were supposed to do). And the DLC itself is second-rate (I feel sorry for the suckers who paid full price for it on the PS3). I would still recommend the game, but it's better on PS3.

The trophies remain good. Adding two additional gold medals allowed me to ignore mostly the useless luck-based cock fighting (as well as give me a chance to play through the awesome island tournament again). The Enduro race, however, was an exercise in frustration, due to the fact that your bike could easily get stuck behind a wall at the 95% mark. Another gripe are the stock images. Finally, they're not terrible original. Still, not a bad list.

The fact is, everything about this game is better on the PS3, but if you don't have access to that, it's still worth your while to play this inferior version.

1L83cabf.png  LORDS OF THE FALLEN

First Trophy: May 25th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: June 2nd, 2016  (100% achieved on June 2nd, 2016) 

Were it not for some very annoying glitches, Lords of the Fallen would rate A or A+. The concept is sound. The story is meh, but who cares? Combat is solid, environments are twisty, secrets abound, and there's just a lot of fun to be had here. Beating the Judge on NG++ is actually a pretty proud accomplishment for me. Unfortunately, the game crashed on me a couple of times. I never figured out how to get Yetka to give me an item necessary to read books and walls. My gauntlet attacks often sailed harmlessly through stationary enemies (even those with their backs to me). I defeated the Annihilator 3 separate times with a lightning weapon, but never got his special weapon. I could go on. It's not enough to make me dislike the game, but it's enough to make me remember the bad.

I absolutely love these trophies, though. Great images. Great requirements. The trophies definitely made me enjoy the game even more. 

Without the glitches, this would have been an A+ game. Even with the glitches, I look forward to the rumored sequel. Here's hoping it works better, though.

1L6c13d5.png  ATELIER TOTORI: THE ADVENTURER OF ARLAND

First Trophy: May 8th, 2012

Platinum Achieved: June 13th, 2016   

I'll admit that I wasn't a fan of Rorona (after thoroughly enjoying the Atelier titles on the PS2), but it had an undeniable charm. This game, however, lacks that charm. The gameplay is just insipid this time around, and the story is lackluster. The True End destroys any gravitas the game might have held, and doesn't make much sense, either. The best way to play the game is completely the opposite of the intended way to play (it's better just to run fetch quests for the first half of the game, instead of traveling and exploring). And the whole "Avoid these flags and trigger these flags to get ending X" is just a way to sell guides. The aesthetic remains nice, however.

Trophy Grade: D

You can't get the plat without slavish devotion to a guide. Sometimes, endings flags don't trigger correctly. It's just a mess all around. 

This is my last foray into the Atelier games. They should have called this one Atelier Bo-Boring.

1Lb8c612.png  HYPERDIMENSION NEPTUNIA: VICTORY

First Trophy: May 6th, 2015

Platinum Achieved: June 19th, 2016   

I was completely unimpressed with Mk. 2. But Victory's funny storyline brought me back into the fold. I loved the Atari references, and the "goddess" that played the Atari CPU was a pretty funny character in her own right. On the other hand, the huge number of fetch quests necessary to advance the story were mediocre. Battle was significantly improved from Mk. 2 (particularly in regards to transformations into CPUs), but the game recycled so many dungeons. Still, not a horrible RPG (at least for this era).

Trophy Grade: B

A little grindy, but nothing major. I didn't even really mind the Lily Rank stuff. Further, a game whose ending flags are simply defined is always welcomed by me.

A little trivia: I got the Normal ending and stopped playing on June 13th, 2015. Completely unintentionally, I decided to start playing again on June 13th, 2016. How...completely uninteresting.

1La054a2.png  GAME OF THRONES

First Trophy: June 10th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: June 20th, 2016   

What a terrible game. Fanboy fodder, and nothing more. Decisions are even more irrelevant here than in other games. At one point, the game absolutely refused to acknowledge the decisions I was making. It was a mistake to hug so closely to the series - it meant that even the illusion of choice vanished (I mean, was I really going to be given the opportunity to kill Ramsay Snow?). Second-rate storytelling, combined with Telltale's age-old, pathetic engine, made for a lousy experience, even though I played for free.

Telltale had long ago set the standard for lazy trophies. This one is no different.

This is the worst Telltale game I've played.

1L6ed4d9.png  APOTHEON

First Trophy: June 25th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: July 2nd, 2016   

Theoretically, this game should have rated a B or so. Apotheon has a great look, and some fun gameplay mechanics (people call this a "Metroid-vania" game, although the characterization is very flawed). Combat, however, is abysmally bad. Unfortunately, the game hardly works. It crashed on me 34 total times while platting it. One of the worst game experiences I've had. Thank God for the Olympian difficulty glitch - doubling the number of crashes might have been too much to bear.

Trophy Grade: A

It's too bad the game didn't work, because the trophies are excellent. In a game like this, rewards should be for complete exploration, and that's exactly what we have here. My only gripe is that it's a little too easy to complete their requirements. Those tiles are just stellar.

Avoid. If it worked, it would be one thing. But let that plat rarity send you a message (this is a very easy game to plat, if it worked). It's too bad - this is exactly the type of game I would like to see more of.

1Lc3768a.png  GOAT SIMULATOR

First Trophy: July 7th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: July 7th, 2016   

There are lots of bad simulators on PC. Goat Simulator is a bad simulator. But, it's funny, because it's really making fun of bad simulators! I hope that joke is worth $10 to you (assuming you don't mind not taking in what is assuredly equally lousy DLC), because that's this turd's asking price. I picked it up for $3, and the joke wasn't even worth that. It's time to declare that the emperor has no clothes.

This was my first day-plat in a while At least the images look...OK? The collectibles are very easy, but I had to restart my game because one of them didn't register.

Remember that knock-knock joke about bananas and oranges. Goat Simulator is the video game equivalent of that joke...except that you never get to the punch line. It just keeps saying "banana" over and over again.

PLATS 176-191

1L8eb9aa.png  SOUND SHAPES (PS4)

First Trophy: July 12th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: July 12th, 2016  (100% achieved on July 12th, 2016)

Game Grade: ---

Trophy Grade: ---

Final Grade: ---

Starcrunch061 Grade: F-

I like Sound Shapes (I reviewed it earlier on PS3). But I did nothing to earn this plat and 100%. I truly crossed the line between man and trophy whore.  :(

1Lddb30b.png  MEGADIMENSION NEPTUNIA VII

First Trophy: June 23rd, 2016

Platinum Achieved: July 13th, 2016   

There is a lot to dislike about VII. The story is insipid, unmotivated, and suffers from the same tropes that the series was (ostensibly) meant to mock. The enemies are still lackluster, borrowing the same character models from previous games. But the gameplay here is actually quite good. While dungeons recycle, it's not nearly as bad as previous iterations. Combat continues to improve from Victory. The toggleable flags are great. There are a few fetch quests, but most are optional (and, with their lame rewards, completely unnecessary at that). I enjoyed this game quite a bit.

Trophy Grade: B-

A decent batch of trophies. The requirements for the "true" ending are not as transparent as in Victory, but still not absurd. The hidden treasures can be annoying, because there are so many, and because their rewards are lackluster. But what brings down the grade is a silly card-collecting trophy. There is absolutely no in-game reward (or even reason) to collect these cards. There are several cards which are very rare. And really, the only feasible way to get the cards is to game the system completely, reloading until the RNG favors you. All in all, somewhat disappointing, but not damning.

I don't know why this game flopped the way it did. It's the best in the series (at least on consoles - I've never played the Vita counterparts). Maybe they over-saturated their market? But for 80% off (a scant 4 months after release!), this was a great value.

1L3546d3.png  GUACAMELEE! STCE (PS4)

First Trophy: July 8th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: July 15th, 2016 (100% March 14th, 2017)  

Game Grade: S-

I can't believe I missed this game on the PS3! Guacamelee really brings the goods. Its retro stylings are awesome, its Metroid-inspired mechanics excellent. The tunes are catchy, and the story is told well, without intruding on gameplay. The DLC from the PS3 is woven seamlessly within the game itself. One of my favorite games on the PS4. I only wish there were more reason to finish the Infierno challenges outside of a couple of trophies.

Trophies that make you want to play the game. Only a couple of strange trophies drop the grade here (with the number of things to do, it seems odd to have a trophy for...using the slam attack on a chupacabra). But all in all, complete fun.

Final Grade: S-

I immediately wanted to play the PS3 version after finishing this. High praise.

1L109344.png  THE WITCHER 3

First Trophy: July 17th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: August 1st, 2016  (100% March 5th, 2017) 

Another great game! It was a great streak of gaming this summer. The Witcher 3 has scope beyond what most games even dream. The choice-based play really hits the spot. I wasn't in love with Gwent, but it's not bad. What drops the game from the S ranks is its combat. Basically, jump around like a jackrabbit, and nothing can hit you. But, although there is a lot of combat in the game, this is still a minor annoyance. I might buy the DLC, which I never do.

The trophies are a letdown. The trophy for killing enemies with headshots is just stupid, and other combat-related trophies fare little better (my guess is that, since most people can breeze through combat without exploring much of it, they wanted something to show other aspects of their system). Plot-related trophies are standard. The Gwent trophies are just annoying collectible trophies. It's not horrible, but compared with the game, these trophies are a drag.

The trophies turn what should have been an awesome crowning achievement into a bit of a slog. The Witcher 3, however, should not be missed.

1L4719ee.png  THE BIT.TRIP

First Trophy: July 3rd, 2016

Platinum Achieved: August 13th, 2016   

First 50: #28 (as of August 22nd, 2016)

Yet another great game. The Bit.Trip took me a while to get into (with all of the other great games I was currently playing), but it's solid retro action. Not all of the six games present are fantastic, but as a whole, this is a good collection for anyone looking to get their retro fix in. 

I love when the most difficult trophies for a game are awarded simply for completing the game (unlike, say, Super Meat Boy, which has the most artificial plat difficulty of any game on the system). Just beat the 6 games, and you've done the lion's share of tough stuff present. I drop the trophy grade though because of the unclear expectations in some of the descriptions.

After Runner 2, I was looking forward to this game. Very enjoyable.

1L63d8bb.png  GUACAMELEE! (PS3)

First Trophy: August 16th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: August 19th, 2016   

Having got PSNow for a month, I decided to tackle again Guacamelee, this time for PS3. The game continues to play well, although some strange design decisions make it a bit less fun. Mostly, having to hold TRIANGLE to grip a wall drove me crazy. Although the plat time is shorter, this game was harder than the PS4 version. No Intenso = more intense game.

The trophies here are on par with those for the PS4 version. Since there is less (main) game, some trophies are given for simple stuff, and there is more plot-based goodness. But all in all, I love getting a plat when I finish a game, and this is very possible here.

Play it!

1L4ae07f.png  ADVENTURE TIME: SECRET OF THE NAMELESS KINGDOM

First Trophy: August 17th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: August 25th, 2016   

Why don't I like this game more? Certainly, I love games with retro feels, and this is about as retro as it gets: it's just an homage to Zelda! But this Adventure Time really left me wanting. Numerous glitches and crashes left me annoyed. Combat was dull, and hit detection was atrocious (something that you really notice when you can't upgrade your character at all, as one trophy requires). Bosses were a bright spot however, retaining the clever charm of the best of the Zelda bunch. But all in all, this game should have been better.

The trophies are OK, but suffer from the gameplay. The main difficult trophy requires that a character have no upgrades to health, armor or weaponry, which adds to the frustration of the poor combat. Most other trophies are story related (although they don't look it at first glance).

Worth a rental? Sure. Worth a purchase? Nah.

1Ld670ce.png  SATURDAY MORNING RPG

First Trophy: August 19th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: August 25th, 2016   

For about 5 hours or so, this game was A+ stuff. Simple combat that truly recalled console RPGs of the past. A fun, bouncy (if slightly repetitive) soundtrack. Funnny references. But as the game wore on (and it does wear on), it became progressively less clever. Episodes tended to repeat the same jokes with different words. Some episodes just fell flat. And the ending (if you can call it that) failed to satisfy on any level. And don't get me started on those stupid stickers. By the time of the completely unnecessary postgame (which pads the experience with the worst gameplay imaginable), I was really ready for it to end. A good enough game, but it should have been better.

The trophies aren't bad, but they can disappoint. In particular, a trophy for reaching level 50 is just completely unnecessary (particularly given the fact that you can literally beat anything in the game at around level 35 or so). Collecting all of the stickers might have been OK if more than 10 of them were useful. The super bosses aren't particularly "super" or anything, requiring the same humdrum techniques you've used time and again. 

A fair enough purchase at heavy discount, but nothing special in the end.

1L4469c3.png  ADVENTURE TIME: FINN AND JAKE INVESTIGATIONS

First Trophy: August 28th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: September 7th, 2016   

Simple enough "find the item" mechanic, with simple enough puzzles, makes for a solid, if unspectacular game. I would generally give a game like this a B-, but the hilarious writing boosts it to B+. Seriously - some of this stuff is really funny. I can see the charm of this show now.

For the most part, these trophies are just story-based. However, one trophy really sours the experience. To obtain it, you need to find numerous snails. Why? I have no idea. But the game doesn't keep track of the snails you've found, and I just hate things like that. There is also a trophy for listening to radio broadcasts. Again, the game doesn't keep track, but at least it's easy to set your dial and do it, so to speak. But man - those snails had me worried until the end. Enough of this crap!

This game is worth it for the the writing, although I recommend purchasing at discount.

1La740a6.png  DARK CLOUD 2

First Trophy: August 27th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: September 21st, 2016   

Game Grade: S

Dark Cloud 2 is arguably my favorite game from the PS2 generation (fighting it out with Persona 4), so it should come as no surprise that I love this PS4 port. While there are some odd design decisions that mar the trophy experience, the game itself loses none of its luster over the past 15 years or so. The combat is simple, but effective. The story avoids the annoying tropes that poison JRPGs in this era. There are numerous sidequests. The graphics are superb. The music is excellent. All in all, I was immensely pleased to re-visit this game.

Trophy Grade: A-

Ideally, these trophies are what I want in a game. Dark Cloud 2 is that rare JRPG that actually takes some real learning to complete (as opposed to time to grind). Spheda tests your nerves, and item kills test your patience. Unfortunately, awful design decisions really come to the front here. Many pictures are easily missable, causing the player to miss out on numerous trophies (as well as numerous aspects of the game). One entire chapter simply disappears after advancing far enough, making it impossible to obtain all medals. But with a guide (and you'll need a guide), it's a fun hunt for all of the trophies.

Final Grade: S

The trophies don't do enough to hurt this experience (after all, I returned to this game as much to do everything I didn't do in the past). I highly recommend Dark Cloud 2 to anyone.

1L35ebdf.png  STEIN;S GATE

First Trophy: July 11th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: October 3rd, 2016   

Man, was I ever wrong about this game! Stein;s Gate did nothing for me early on, but once the story grabs you, it REALLY grabs you! My only complaint is that flags are unnatural; there is nothing to suggest that one email will lead one way, while another will lead another, so a guide is mostly necessary. Nonetheless, I heartily recommend Stein;s Gate to anyone who loved Choose Your Own Adventure as a kid. 

Trophies are hard to implement in a game like this, but Stein;s Gate really misses the boat here. Collectible trophies, in particular, really screw things up. However, they have a FANTASTIC save system, so you never miss too much.

I said it before, but Stein;s Gate proved that the VN is a viable genre for me as a gamer. That's high praise, by the way.

1L30462e.png  UNCHARTED 2: AMONG THIEVES

First Trophy: October 27th, 2009(!)

Platinum Achieved: October 8th, 2016   

This game felt a lot more fun 7 years ago. I can't deny the technical perfection in the graphics, or the excellent production values, but as far as gameplay goes, it REALLY feels dated. The platforming, in particular, is just embarrassing. Not a bad game by any stretch, but sometimes nostalgia should be left in the past.

Yeah, great treasure hunting, Drake. I'm sure centuries-old trinkets can just be shot out of their hiding places. Collectibles do at least have purpose in the game, though, as do the "Kill N enemies with this weapon" trophies. Not the most fun trophies, but not the worst.

Still OK, but not as good in 2016 as it was in 2009.

1L312c8b.png  ENSLAVED: ODYSSEY TO THE WEST

First Trophy: March 13th, 2011(!)

Platinum Achieved: October 9th, 2016   

CLEAN UP TIME! And man, if Uncharted 2 felt dated, this game feels ancient. I loved the aesthetic and storyline of this game back in 2011, but in 2016? I just wanted it to end. Platforming is even worse here than in Uncharted 2. Combat is terribly choppy. And collectibles are just a drag.

Trophy Grade: D

Seriously? I gotta pick up ALL THESE TECH ORBS? Didn't I already get enough from creature drops? What's so special about these? This alone kept me from platting this for years.

Still OK, but nowhere near as good in 2016 as it was in 2011.

1L7b0d30.png  HITMAN: GO

First Trophy: October 17th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: October 17th, 2016   

Seriously? People like this? Hitman: Go is a bunch of insipid, repetitive puzzles which boil down to finding the least common multiple of small numbers. That's it. The puzzles don't even change after one playthrough. Sure, it would take time (without a guide), but what's the point? A Sudoku puzzle is more entertaining.

Can't complain - I got them all in a day. But what is the point of the stupid briefcases?

Not even worth it at heavy discount.

1L0a80f0.png  ORC SLAYER

First Trophy: October 18th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: October 18th, 2016   

Orc Slayer was more fun than Hitman: Go. In fact, I experience no glitches whatsoever, and even died twice. That's entertainment! Oh, and it doesn't lie - that steam-powered crossbow is indeed a worthy machine of mass orc slaying.

Trophy Grade: C-

Revenge of the day-plats! What annoyed me were the hidden passages. Without a guide, I never would have found the first one (although I might have found the giant chicken). The rest of the trophies come in time.

A worthwhile $4 title.

1L4fb36a.png  ALBEDO: EYES FROM OUTER SPACE

First Trophy: October 18th, 2016

Platinum Achieved: October 19th, 2016   

Albedo starts off pretty fun, but completely falls apart. The game glitched on me a couple of times, but what really grinds my gears are the unnecessary (and artificial) time limits put on certain puzzles. I could have lived with the awful control, if I had infinite time to think about things. But when I was stuck underwater, trying to rotate an obstruction in 3-space, it just completely destroyed any fun I might have been having.

Great trophy images, great trophy names, great trophy descriptions. Sure, a guide is necessary. However, what keeps the trophies from A-rank is the fact that there is no trophy for actually completing the game. For shame.

Not a worthwhile $4 title.

Edited by starcrunch061
fixin' stuff
  • Like 3

In this post, I will list 100% which have no plat, as well as plat-less games for which I gained all trophies for the main game, but not the DLC. Each game gets a single, all-encompassing review/summary.

100% (NO PLAT) (1-25)

spacer.pngspacer.pngL8a0d9d.png  STRONG BAD (EPISODES 1-5)

My first non-plat game, and a good one. I've played point-and-click since the early 90s. Strong Bad isn't particularly hard, but it's fun and funny, which is more than I can say for a lot of these.

Lb3887e.png  BACK TO THE FUTURE (EPISODES 1-5)

Back To The Future is the flip side of Strong Bad. I detest this game. The content itself is fine, but the control is abysmal, and I can't stand playing games with bad control. Or, I can't stand it except for the sake of trophy whoring, since I played this title twice.

L66dcb1.png  ALTERED BEAST

Now we're talking. Although Altered Beast is certainly not my favorite Genesis game, it's a fun enough romp. The trophies here are much better than those found on the Genesis collection. I still laugh at the lousy patched-in voices.

L6ed7c4.png  GOLDEN AXE

Golden Axe offers old beat 'em up goodness. The trophies make this a real treat. I never thought I would see the day where I beat Golden Axe without ever continuing. Sure, I used save states, but still. AWESOME!

L834dd9.png  FROGGER RETURNS

A stain on the name Frogger, this game just sucks. Easy trophies, though.

L8f5d19.png  DRAGON'S LAIR

I fed a ton of quarters into this machine as a kid. I had memorized everything by the time it was over. So I was sad to find out that I didn't still have it memorized as a grown man. Still, Dragon's Lair is fun today (better than Heavy Rain, though no boobies here).

L610720.png  PAC-MAN CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION

Sure, it's fun enough, but quite honestly, I prefer the original to all of these bells and whistles. Trophies shouldn't be this easy in a Pac-Man game.

L7d09ff.png  VIRTUA FIGHTER 5: FINAL SHOWDOWN

I don't remember much about this game, except the online portion. You had to fight 10 ranked matches. I only went 4-6, because I suck at fighting games. But one of the 4 I won elicited a chain of nasty messages about my lack of skills. Go figure.

L91185a.png  SPACE CHANNEL 5, PART 2

A guilty pleasure of mine, I was pleased to see this game on heavy discount. I picked it up, and 100% it. I never got through 200% of the dance mode on the PS2, but it was remarkably easy on the PS3. Still a great game. I loved the fact that Michael Jackson never bothers to pronouce "Ulala" correctly, and I'm sure the developers just said, "That's OK, because it's flippin' Michael Jackson."  The trophies in this game are no joke, by the way.

L2b24de.png  OUTLAND

One of THE gems on the system, I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of Outland, and I only wish it were longer. One of my favorite freebies from PS+.

Lc054c1.png  NAMCO MUSEUM ESSENTIALS

Another batch of classics. I can't fathom why so many of these trophies are ultra rare. But I've always liked Namco's games, and seeing this heavily discounted, I decided to take the plunge. Plus, I earned stuff in PSHome! Wait - was it even called PSHome?

L1c4b7b.png  PUZZLEQUEST: GALACTRIX

This game was remarkably boring. A good enough idea ruined by some God-awful design decisions. The trophies are a joke, but you probably don't have the 100%, since you have to win 50 ranked matches. Thankfully, I could self-boost.

L724055.png  MACHINARIUM

One of those, "I don't get it" games, I found Machinarium to be tedious and mostly bad. That stupid chess puzzle drove me batty.

Lebcb4d.png  DRAGON FANTASY BOOK 1

While its sequel was a dud, Dragon Fantasy Book 1 was a lot of fun. Possessing a lot more "Dragon" than "Fantasy", the game really recalled Dragon Warrior and Dragon Warrior 2 on the NES. I highly recommend it to any other oldsters who want a nostalgic trip (however brief) into the golden age of JRPGs.

Le0eca5.png KINGDOM HEARTS Re: CODED

I literally turned on the machine, and went to do something else for a couple of hours. When I returned, I opened a couple of menus, and TA-DAAAA! And yet, this isn't the laziest thing Square has done. Not by a long shot. This game does get points for being the object that got me back into collecting trophies.

Ld78344.png  KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 Days

Who names these games? Well, whatever - this is just cutscenes. Again, turn on the machine, leave to do something, open some menus.

L834607.png  DRAGON'S LAIR II: TIME WARP

I didn't see much of this title in the arcades. It came out years after the original. It's terrible, too. Seriously - how do you screw up Dragon's Lair? Like this. It took me years to wrap up the trophies in this one.

L9174d5.png  GALAGA LEGIONS DX

While it doesn't ruin a classic or anything, this iteration of the timeless Galaga adds nothing whatsoever. Very easy to 100%, though.

L06f183.png  BIT.TRIP PRESENTS...A WHOLE LOTTA WORDS

I should have enjoyed this game more than I did. Certainly, I liked playing through every level on the hardest difficulty, looking to get all gold bars. But that stupid bullseye at the end. And then, the fact that I had to do this on the lower difficulties as well just killed it. A good game, but a poor 100%.

L843cb9.png  TITAN ATTACKS!

Another game that feels like it should be much better. Titan Attacks! did provide a fun diversion, and the 100% is pretty easy. Better than Galaga DX, IMHO.

L72a89a.png  RETRO CITY RAMPAGE

This game was pretty fun. Its trophies were OK, too, except for the collectible trophies. I did like finding the invisible walls. I have no idea why the trophies are so rare, though. The challenge mode would have been difficult, were it not for the fact that you could watch other player's games and learn appropriate techniques.

Lf98111.png  CASTLE OF ILLUSION

I really liked this game. I never could figure out the Genesis version - I always seemed unable to jump on enemies. But I liked this one. The trophies are simple enough. I don't know why the collectible trophy here has such a higher percentage than the one on Retro City Rampage. Both are pretty much equivalent.

L659611.png COMIX ZONE

The trophies here finally gave me reason to see this game through to the end. God bless save state. Comix Zone was a helluva difficult game on Genesis, but it's not so bad if you can save your state. I liked it.

La3f656.png  SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2

I guess I decided to finish up some one 100%. Sonic 2 is a ton of fun, and the trophies only serve to enhance the experience. While I had no use for the multiplayer trophies, I really liked the overall speed run, as well as the level speed runs. You know, 'cuz Sonic's about speed and all that. Good game and good trophies.

L7ee0d2.png  SAM AND MAX: BEYOND TIME AND SPACE (EPISODES 1-5)

Few games come more overrated than Sam and Max. Maybe the first "season" was better, but this game was pretty humdrum point-and-click, coupled with a lousy car driving section and some insipid attempts at humor. Not unplayable, but hardly the best of the genre.

100% (NO PLAT) (26-39)

L1ef190.png  THE WALKING DEAD SEASON TWO

TWD2 has a more engaging plot than TWD, but less engaging gameplay. It was good when I wanted to watch a movie, or it would have been, if I didn't play the shoddy PS3 port.

L29e70c.png  SONIC THE HEDGEHOG

Sonic delivers the goods, but without the silly multiplayer trophies. I think I actually enjoy the original over the sequel, both in terms of gameplay as well as trophy hunting. I will say that they really mailed it in with the endings to this game, though.

L7fb04f.png  SPACE ACE

Unlike Dragon's Lair II, I played a bit of Space Ace in the arcades. And boy, did it suck. This port sucks, too. But at least it's very, very easy to 100%.

Lfbcae1.png  PROTEUS

The fact that the image of this crapfest hardly shows up tells you all you need to know about Proteus. Calling it the worst game of all time is terribly misleading, since that assumes that it's actually a game. Avoid at all costs.

L89ab90.png THE CAVE

Wow - a Double Fine game that doesn't suck! I really enjoyed my (multiple) trips through the Cave, and would highly recommend it.

L19c7d5.png  KUNG FU RABBIT

A decent enough game, but honestly, I would expect a little more from a platformer which boasts 160 levels. This game was remarkably easy. There are tons of items to buy, but I only bought the ones for the trophies. Still, for a free game, it wasn't a bust.

L6a019d.png  THE WALKING DEAD SEASON TWO (PS4)

I didn't enjoy this game as much the second time, but I enjoyed it nonetheless, if for no other reason than my choices stayed almost identical to those in my PS3 playthrough (psychology!), and I still think Bonnie is scum.

L937613.png  HATOFUL BOYFRIEND

So, girls need to fall in love with birds to avoid the extermination of the human race? Ummm...yeah. Still, this game was a lot of fun. The epilogue got much too heavy, but the "Choose Your Own Adventure" episodes were quite good (and some were downright hilarious - every time I see a partridge now, I'll wonder if he's brandishing a large knife).

Lc71a39.png  SAM AND MAX: THE DEVIL'S PLAYHOUSE (EPISODES 1-5)

I bought this game at a Flash Sale purely as trophy fodder, but I see why it earned its (admittedly bad) sequel. Comparing The Devil's Playhouse with Beyond Time and Space evokes the oft used phrase "day and night". This game is so much better! The writing is much snappier, and the events are just better constructed. However, good luck getting the 100% without slavish devotion to a guide.

L832fad.png  KITTEN SQUAD

Hiding behind the lousy PETA proaganda here is a pretty decent dual-stick shooter. Skip the creepy cut scenes, and pick up this freebie for a couple of hours of non-offensive fun, with easily-earned trophies.

L2e6801.png  THOMAS WAS ALONE

Thomas Was Alone is a decent enough game, but I can't help but be slightly disappointed in the graphics. It was clever enough to tie these graphics into the storyline, but this game could have appeared on the Atari 2600. The music is great, though. Strangely, the storyline takes an odd turn near the end, and becomes much less interesting (Team Jump and Grey just don't make much sense).

Lf10f27.png  GONE HOME

People often bemoan the effect of "Social Justice Warriors" in gaming. It's mostly BS, but games like Gone Home make me take these ragers a little more seriously. Gone Home is a joke "game", on the level of Proteus, which incredibly garnered critical praise. And just like Proteus, the trophies serve to be annoying as well. Even for free, I am genuinely embarrassed to have played this. Avoid.

L23d9fb.png  TALES OF MONKEY ISLAND (EPISODES 1-5)

A lot of people dislike this game. It's not great, to be sure, but it's more of a game than many of the interactive movies that Telltale releases nowadays. Still, I couldn't be bothered with actually figuring it out.

Le92edd.png  SHANTAE: RISKY'S REVENGE

A nice, fun, metroid-style platformer that's a little too short to justify its price tag (although I bought it heavily discounted). Speed run trophies make sense in games like this (a classic Metroid trope).

L7ff111.png  ULTRATRON

Any game that can call up my old quarter-sink "Robotron 2084" is always welcome. This game is a ton of fun.

L7ef1c3.png  JUDGE DEE: THE CITY GOD CASE

Judge Dee was a fun enough item hunt game. Some of the other puzzles were annoying (most notably, the ones where you had to put pieces together, since the game often didn't recognize your correct answer), but you could always skip them. The character graphics were nice, recalling the graphics of RTK X.

L55abac.png  DATURA

Games are not art. Datura isn't the crap fest that, say, Gone Home is, as it has something resembling gameplay. But unfortunately, that gameplay is marred by what might be the worst control in a game I've seen. But hey - you get to throw a potato at a pig!

L56a7f4.png  SHUTSHIMI

Shutshimi has an interesting idea, but it doesn't really work. 10 second levels mean there is a lot of down time in-between. It breaks any kind of rhythm. Also, it has one of the most annoying trophies I've seen in a game. It's not hard at all, but man - did it grate on my nerves.

Ld3a634.png  THE SWAPPER

The Swapper really brings the goods. I don't usually pay too much attention to non-plat games, outside of a few laughs, but this one was really good.

Le14d00.png  MAT MANIA EXCITING HOUR(?)

Spoiler

I really liked Mat Mania as a kid, and was good at it. My, how times change. This game was really annoying upon revisiting it.

L853f86.png  HOME

A decent enough game that was way too short for its asking price. The psychological stuff makes zero impact.

La36587.png  ACTUAL SUNLIGHT

I had zero hopes for this game, but in all honesty, it was pretty good. I was delighted that the reprehensible main character wasn't presented as some sort of depressingly tragic hero, or even as an anti-hero, but rather as the pathetic person he was. 

Ld1ba8c.png  HOME (PS VITA)

Trophy whorin' on the Vita.

Lc0bcc5.png LETTER QUEST REMASTERED

A fun game with annoying trophies. There isn't much reward for your play, either (particularly in the infinite dungeons). But it was fun for a freebie on PS+.

L36b570.png  TINY TROOPERS: JOINT OPS

Another pretty fun game. The DLC is awful, though. Good for a freebie.

La3f280.png  LINGER IN SHADOWS

LOL is pretty much all I can see to this joke of a "game". 

L1ef284.png  SONIC: THE FIGHTERS

An anachronistic fighter released as part of Sega's "vintage" collection. I played for the trophies.

Lb4d3dd.png  FIGHTING VIPERS

Another anachronistic fighter. This one was slightly better than Sonic, since you could knock the women's clothes off.

Lc7a432.png  VIRTUA FIGHTER 2

Another anachronistic fighter, but you've probably heard of this one. It plays remarkably poorly today.

L69fe09.png  SUPER HANG ON

Well, a change in pace. We have here...an anachronistic racer. Super Hang On feels remarkably easy on consoles.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 2

All right -I'm now moving over my old thread, and adding to it. In addition to plats, I will also have a listing for games which have no plat, but for which I 100% the main game, as well as a "stinker" list of games I didn't plat, but that people should avoid like the plague.

Edited by starcrunch061

Sorry for the delay. Kids have been sick. I will be adding all of the following tomorrow:

1La9fe5c.png

Plat #151: Gauntlet

1L12c265.png

Plat #152: Grim Fandango

1Laf72a5.png

Plat #153: Broken Age

1Lfb4a77.png

Plat #154: Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends (PS3)

1L5a5b1b.png

Plat #155: Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends (PS4)

And God bless Wandererster, the one person who actually looks at my thread!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Your words on Peace Walker warm my heart. For some reason a good portion of people I've seen have disliked the game and I was starting to feel like I was the only one who liked it.

Great list, by the way! You've got some impressive stuff on here. :)

Edited by Waffles

Your words on Peace Walker warm my heart. For some reason a good portion of people I've seen have disliked the game and I was starting to feel like I was the only one who liked it.

Great list, by the way! You've got some impressive stuff on here. :)

Oh no. Peace Walker is awesome. Thanks for the kudos!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Added today:

1L5c95c4.png

XBlaze Lost: Memories. Also, I 100%'ed Dragon Age: Inquisition for the PS3, but added no exposition regarding the expansion pack. 

Currently working on: Okage: Shadow King, and will soon start Tales of Monkey Island and Sam and Max: The Devil's Playhouse (the latter is solely trophy fodder, as I disliked the sequel, but the former is interesting to me.