Gone Home discussion

GreenockMafia

I wasn't even aware that was a spoiler since that's the whole premise of the game.

Plus it was released over 2 years ago, that's like still complaining about GTA V spoilers.

But I fixed it for you.

you didn't fix it for me, as I have played through this piece of software a long while ago, but rather for the ppl who don't know about the story - particularly the, um, climax - yet.

I played Gone Home on PC after picking it up for I believe $2.00 during a sale. For 2 bucks, I was blown away. I enjoyed the narrative and play style. It was a break from 'typical' games in the sense it's more of an interactive visual story than game. Personally I would never pay $20 for the game, but I did in fact love it. 

you didn't fix it for me, as I have played through this piece of software a long while ago, but rather for the ppl who don't know about the story - particularly the, um, climax - yet.

Sarcasm dude, but that 'spoiler' is revealed so early on I wouldn't classify it as a spoiler personally, but whatever.

--

OT:

This game doesn't have a climax, it's Teenage Angst: The Sort-Of-Interactive-Visual-Novel-Thing.

It's just wandering around a house and ''Oh, that's why no one's home. Okay.''.

It's good for a change of pace I guess?

Honestly I don't believe it's worth anything close to $20.

• Like 1

My only complaint is the price, but I'd bet that it will come to PS Plus at some point.

Other than that, it's a pretty important little game, which scratches the surface of what game narratives could be, and a great achievement for a small team, but ridiculously overpriced. I wouldn't criticize it for its length nor its subverting of expectations of what a game must be.

With all this in mind, I find it quite dissonant that it has a speedrun trophy (I know this game is a speedrunner's darling, but... yeah). 

• 4 months later...

My only complaint is the price, but I'd bet that it will come to PS Plus at some point.

You guessed right! :P

Yet another PS PLUS free game with no plat. At least you can get a 30 min 100% game

I rather get a game like this than a big AAA game that I will never play, I already own or want a physical copy of.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 2

Glad this game was released on PS Plus. I was always mildly interested, but it wasn't something I would pay for if it was anything over £5, and this game was about £15 on the PSN Store if memory serves.

Definitely not worth that price tag, wouldn't say this game is worth buying at all to be frank. From what I gathered from the dialogue (I skipped most of it or just tuned it out after a while, since it wasn't interesting me in the slightest), it's just a story about a bi-curious teenager, with all the typical teen angst stuff. There's been plenty of "games" (walking simulators) like this already, and while I'm aware this is probably one of the "first ones" (that sparked all the other similar indie games in recent times), it doesn't make it any less dull than all the others I've played.

And not to diss walking simulators in general, some do have great narratives and/or atmospheres, but walking around a big house and listening to a teen's typical anecdotes didn't do anything for me.

• Like 1

I rather get a game like this than a big AAA game that I will never play, I already own or want a physical copy of.

Hear hear. When I still had an X360, I fell for Gold (never bought it before because I'm not a multiplayer guy) but after a short while the titles became mostly AAA titles, and everything in Gold became something I either didn't want or already had.

Compare PS+, going on two years for me now and I'd have to dig hard to find a month where it didn't give me a single title I was interested in playing. Using small, unknown titles guarantees that many won't have it yet and I applaud them for trying to get actual new games in on the deal on a regular basis, that's a game with a "not played this one yet" guarantee.

Matter of fact: this month on PS+, I will definitely play Gone Home and probably none of the other titles.

This is just my opinion, I get that some people would rather see AAA titles but I get the feeling that most of them either just want to get AAA titles because they cost more and/or don't give indie games a chance simply because they're not million dollar budget titles.

Give Indies a chance? That's basically all Plus gives out. Most of us that want AAA games would be happy with just one of each. But you indie fanboys just want indies cause makes you feel superior and special cause you go against the grain. Even if it's some crappy 3 hour game just walking around the house.

Give Indies a chance? That's basically all Plus gives out. Most of us that want AAA games would be happy with just one of each. But you indie fanboys just want indies cause makes you feel superior and special cause you go against the grain. Even if it's some crappy 3 hour game just walking around the house.

Nice adult reply.

I'm not saying PS+ should give indies a chance, I'm saying most people who ask for AAA titles don't give them a chance. At least give PS+ titles a try, don't ignore them just because they aren't AAA titles. I can understand it if you don't like the genre (I never downloaded Towerfall), the graphics or whatever but just "it's an indie so I won't play it" is ridiculous.

As I said in my previous post, most of the AAA titles they could give out I already own, while I mostly don't have the indies they give out and often didn't even know about them yet. I don't really see how you're getting "indie fanboy" out of that since I admit to buying many AAA titles and being in the dark about many indie titles.

Calling Gone Home "crappy" is your opinion but the game was on my wish list before it went on PS+. I didn't buy it because I thought €20 was too expensive and I was waiting on a sale - going on PS+ is the first sale for the title in my country. I'm very interested in the title - I like exploring games, The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter was amazing in my opinion.

Calling a game "indie" is a load of bull anyway, it just means that there's not a big bucks publisher behind it and that sort of thing has to happen less and less these days with digital distributing. A game being indie doesn't instantly mean it doesn't have any quality, you know.

It's weird that you immediately accuse me of "feeling superior" and "going against the grain", especially since you know so little about me. I'm just giving my opinion here, I don't have any ulterior motives. I'll tell you that The Last Of Us is overrated. I'll tell you that Assassin's Creed is an awesome series which I love playing on a yearly basis (yes, even III). I'll tell you that my three pre-orders this year are The Day Of The Tentacle Remastered, No Man's Sky and Horizon Zero Dawn. I'm not trying to do or be anything or anyone. I'm just giving my opinion on which games I enjoy and which games I don't.

All I'm saying here is just give these games a chance. They're not costing you anything anyways, your PS+ is already paid for and you're getting these games regardless of whether you play them or not. Last month we got Table Top Racing, a game which I probably would've ignored if I would have had to pay for it. I tried it and I thought it was great fun for as long as it lasted. I never tried CounterSpy before getting it free (I was put off by the graphics when reading about it) but I gave it a try and I enjoyed myself start to finish.

• Like 1

I don't think you hear anyone in this thread say the game is great by any means.

And yup, my memory serves me right. This is one of the games Anita Sarkeesian recommends on her web site:

https://feministfrequency.com/resources/

In fact, it's the #1 on the list. lol

I've already played it on PC, that's why I know it's just walking around in an empty house, looking at shit and hearing back story etc. :\

BUT it's an easy 100%. :P And it's not awful.

I think echochrome, one of the other games we got, is a much better game IMO.

Matter of fact: this month on PS+, I will definitely play Gone Home and probably none of the other titles.

So you may want to try that. :P

Echochrome would definitely be the second title for me on this PS+ list, were it not for the fact that I got it last year during a flash sale :-) Indeed a great game and I have probably enjoyed that game more and longer than I will with Gone Home, and I haven't even completely played through it yet!

I also already have the PS3 HD version of the God Of War title. I'm not into sports games and I don't like multiplayer unless it's couch co-op (with very rare exceptions like The Crew), so for me Gone Home is definitely, Siren is a maybe (it will go in my backlog but it'll be somewhere at the bottom of the list) and the rest is a miss. Though Gone Home was actually on my wish list, that hasn't happened since Mass Effect over half a year ago, so I'm still pretty pleased.

I don't think you hear anyone in this thread say the game is great by any means.

And yup, my memory serves me right. This is one of the games Anita Sarkeesian recommends on her web site:

https://feministfrequency.com/resources/

In fact, it's the #1 on the list. lol

I've already played it on PC, that's why I know it's just walking around in an empty house, looking at shit and hearing back story etc. :\

BUT it's an easy 100%. :P And it's not awful.

At least you gave a more balanced reply. If some feminist gave it such high marks I definitely will pass. I don't think all indie games are bad but this one really sound bad. Probably got high review for politically correct reasons alone.

• Like 1

I actually want to play this game.. just to know why is it so highly rated inspite of absence of gameplay.. well we had order 1886 which was critcized by critics for not having too much gameplay.. this game definately has much much infct nill gameplay.. story and narration would be out of the world then.. just eager to see..

I don't think all indie games are bad but this one really sound bad. Probably got high review for politically correct reasons alone.

As I said, it's not awful, it's not bad. It's just okay. If you want the trophies, it's definitely worth it. :P

But yes, this game got a lot of praise from certain people in the media, and definitely politically correct reasons.

At least on PC, the game ran just fine, had no big issues with it or anything. But yeah, it's just walking around in an empty house, finding stuff, listening and reading stuff, some few secrets and stuff to find and explore etc. All of it in an attempt to figure out that she's bi or lesbian or whatever and how that works out. Once you realize there's not some cool secret to be found or a dark story etc, it gets rather boring, at least it did for me, because I lost all interest in the plot. It could have been better with a better plot, but you still get to explore the house and figure out some light puzzles.

I actually want to play this game.. just to know why is it so highly rated inspite of absence of gameplay.. well we had order 1886 which was critcized by critics for not having too much gameplay.. this game definately has much much infct nill gameplay.. story and narration would be out of the world then.. just eager to see..

I think you will be greatly disappointed unless, as someone described it earlier, teen angst because you're not straight, is something you find super engaging.

They do however tell it in a lot of interesting ways.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

As I said, it's not awful, it's not bad. It's just okay. If you want the trophies, it's definitely worth it. :P

But yes, this game got a lot of praise from certain people in the media, and definitely politically correct reasons.

At least on PC, the game ran just fine, had no big issues with it or anything. But yeah, it's just walking around in an empty house, finding stuff, listening and reading stuff, some few secrets and stuff to find and explore etc. All of it in an attempt to figure out that she's bi or lesbian or whatever and how that works out. Once you realize there's not some cool secret to be found or a dark story etc, it gets rather boring, at least it did for me, because I lost all interest in the plot. It could have been better with a better plot, but you still get to explore the house and figure out some light puzzles.

I think you will be greatly disappointed unless, as someone described it earlier, teen angst because you're not straight, is something you find super engaging.

If it had a different plot Id probably give it a chance. But not going to participate in some social engineering disguised as a game.

If it had a different plot Id probably give it a chance. But not going to participate in some social engineering disguised as a game.

lol, I wish I could say it was your loss, but I can't. If you want the trophies, you don't need to listen to everything really, and you can follow a guide.

Did you want Knack? Seems like it's on sale this month, for very cheap too, for those who have PS+. :P

In fact, tons of PS+ sale this month! :) Like one of those games can be 2 months' worth of PS+ time.

I really wanted Volume, which was on sale, so I got that along with some other games. Might get Axiom Verge too! xD:D But yes, this month is worth almost a year with PS+ for me. ;D

Edited by MMDE

lol, I wish I could say it was your loss, but I can't. If you want the trophies, you don't need to listen to everything really, and you can follow a guide.

Did you want Knack? Seems like it's on sale this month, for very cheap too, for those who have PS+. :P

In fact, tons of PS+ sale this month! :) Like one of those games can be 2 months' worth of PS+ time.

I really wanted Volume, which was on sale, so I got that along with some other games. Might get Axiom Verge too! xD:D But yes, this month is worth almost a year with PS+ for me. ;D

Didn't want anything particular. Learned long ago not to rely on Plus for games. Have a big backlog anyway.

hehe.. it being free now on psn is the only reason i will play this 2 hour long 'adventure' hehe otherwise for 20 odd dollars.. i am better of roaming my own house for 2 hours.. Edited by aditya319

Sigh - Jeasus Christ this game is boring.

It had a bunch of okay elements but this would have been so much better if there actually had been something supernatural going on...

To add insult to injury, I've gone through the game in under a minute for ten times now but the damn Homerunner trophy won't unlock.

Glad I didn't pay any money to try this.