Gone Home discussion

GreenockMafia

I just got the 100% for the game. Like a lot off other people I am glad I didn't spen 20 dollars on the game.

To me the story was ok, Interesting way of telling the story. The atmosphere was good. I liked the enviroment and all the things that could be interacted with. Overall it is decent at best.

Don't even get me started on the Homerunner trophy though, Not worth any more of my time to discuss it.

Edited by snakebit10

I'm planning to 100% it this weekend. My expectations are what you describe. I keep playing these indie games hoping for that one gem, but they all have an ok story and ok atmosphere. I just wish there was one that did something other than trying to convey the feeling of teenage angst and/or depression...

I'm planning to 100% it this weekend. My expectations are what you describe. I keep playing these indie games hoping for that one gem, but they all have an ok story and ok atmosphere. I just wish there was one that did something other than trying to convey the feeling of teenage angst and/or depression...

What kind of genres are you in to? Bet others can recommend some stuff.

What kind of genres are you in to? Bet others can recommend some stuff.

Maybe that's the problem. I like coming of age stories set in the now or not too distant past, and those tend to tell stories about angst and depression... :-P Story games I've played are: Beyond Eyes, Three Fourths Home, Firewatch, and Layers of Fear counts too, I guess. I've played some others too. I loved Life Is Strange, even though that's angsty as hell. It just absolutely nailed the feels department. It's not an indie game, but meh, it still counts. :-) I liked Firewatch a lot too, but not the ending.

Maybe that's the problem. I like coming of age stories set in the now or not too distant past, and those tend to tell stories about angst and depression... :-P Story games I've played are: Beyond Eyes, Three Fourths Home, Firewatch, and Layers of Fear counts too, I guess. I've played some others too. I loved Life Is Strange, even though that's angsty as hell. It just absolutely nailed the feels department. It's not an indie game, but meh, it still counts. :-) I liked Firewatch a lot too, but not the ending.

So you like exploration with a story... Have you tried The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter yet? Divisive as hell, I'm on the side that loves it.

If you haven't played any titles from Telltale Games yet, might want to check out The Wolf Among Us.

Day Of The Tentacle Remastered... Best point and click game you'll ever play.

Those last two may not count as indies so for good measure: LIMBO and Octodad.

So you like exploration with a story... Have you tried The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter yet? Divisive as hell, I'm on the side that loves it.

If you haven't played any titles from Telltale Games yet, might want to check out The Wolf Among Us.

Day Of The Tentacle Remastered... Best point and click game you'll ever play.

Those last two may not count as indies so for good measure: LIMBO and Octodad.

Thanks man! I've 100%'ed both The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (loved it too) and Day of the Tentacle (my favorite point 'n click of all time). I did pick up the TellTale pack when it was on sale, but so far I've only played the first season of The Walking Dead. I've been wanting to play The Wolf Among Us as I heard it's pretty unique, but forgot I had it, haha. I'll download it to my PS4 and play it soon. Maybe this weekend. Thanks! :-) Limbo has been on my backlog for ages too...

Thanks man! I've 100%'ed both The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (loved it too) and Day of the Tentacle (my favorite point 'n click of all time). I did pick up the TellTale pack when it was on sale, but so far I've only played the first season of The Walking Dead. I've been wanting to play The Wolf Among Us as I heard it's pretty unique, but forgot I had it, haha. I'll download it to my PS4 and play it soon. Maybe this weekend. Thanks! :-) Limbo has been on my backlog for ages too...

Yeah I'm still coming off a dentist's anaesthesia, don't know why I thought I should recommend DoTT when Purple is your profile picture...

Well done me for recommending games already on your backlog! Have fun with them. LIMBO is great and won't take long (unless you try to 100% it, then good luck), Wolf is one of the better Telltale titles in my opinion.

I thought it was pretty neat for what it was, interesting way to tell a story and found myself surprisingly interested in characters you never even meet. Wouldn't have paid 20 euros for it though so I'm glad it came to plus as while I wouldn't really call it a game it was an interesting experience I enjoyed the couple of hours it took me to complete it. Going through the commentaries right now and I know that kind of thing isn't for everybody but I really love behind the scenes kinda stuff in games.

So who actually listened to all the commentary in commentary play through? I did and found most of it interesting.

I actually found the commentary more interesting than the plot itself. I liked the plot, but I just liked listening to them describe the process and reasonings. Them shitting on the Jazz mug was pretty funny, especially since you can buy it from their store.
  • Like 2

Hm...I did finish the game and yes, there are some nice details in the house. And I like PS+ for giving me games to check-out that I would probably never buy.

But really, this was one boring game.

I liked "Life is strange". I really liked "Everybody's gone to the rapture". So much more interesting!

Go for one of those if you like exploration, if you like details (or stories about growing up for that matter).

"Gone home" looks to me as if they wanted to create this really nice house -which they did- and then didn't know what to do with it.

Maybe they should have hired a decent writer to partner with the software designers...

I finally got the Homerunner trophy... (see trophy thread for details)

That stupid trophy made me hate the game. It wasn't even a good trophy, why would you be proud that your game can be completed in under a minute...

Worst experience with a walking fiction game ever, though I have to admit that I haven't played Wander yet.

• Like 1

You mean the game is so boring, you're not even sure if you played it or not? ;-)

The game wasn't boring, but it wasn't that great either. It was decent enough. Worth the time I spent on it I think, eh, to be realistic, not really, but better than what I would have spent my time on otherwise, meh, not really, or maybe idk. :(

I did play it. I can't remember when. See my trophy card! ;p

Edited by MMDE

You mean the game is so boring, you're not even sure if you played it or not? ;-)

Eh, I mixed this with Grow Home! LOL

My comments were towards Grow Home. I've played Gone Home on PC years ago. See my earlier posts for my opinion on the game. Haha

Eh, I mixed this with Grow Home! LOL

My comments were towards Grow Home. I've played Gone Home on PC years ago. See my earlier posts for my opinion on the game. Haha

Grow Home, now that's actually a fun game :-)

Must be the title because the gameplay is vastly different :-D

OK - I've now played this "game". And...it's total crap.

EDIT: Oh, and for an FYI to those people who wonder why indie games get a bad rap, here you go. Please, Sony - stop putting out this crap for general consumption.

I've got to agree with a lot of you guys. The game is massively overhyped in my opinion. A few hours of mundane gameplay with the big twist not even being that interesting really. Games like Journey did what this game tries to do much better.

Also $20!? What a joke...

It makes me sad that someone could even mention Journey in the same sentence with this. Edited by starcrunch061

OK - I've now played this "game". And...it's total crap.

EDIT: Oh, and for an FYI to those people who wonder why indie games get a bad rap, here you go. Please, Sony - stop putting out this crap for general consumption.

It makes me sad that someone could even mention Journey in the same sentence with this.

Please don't throw all indie games together with this poor title. There are good indie games and bad ones, just like with AAA games.

• Like 1

Please don't throw all indie games together with this poor title. There are good indie games and bad ones, just like with AAA games.

You miss the point. The criticism was of Sony, not of indies. PS+ continues to deluge us with these 2nd rate indies.

Edited by starcrunch061