Crypt of the NecroDancer - Trophy Thoughts?

I was just starting a topic and you beat me to it :) The hardest trophies will be:

• Impossible, Right?
  • Lowest of the Low
  • Polyamorous
  • Undeadly
  • Flawless Victory!

These trophies have 0.1% on steam and by the looks of it it wil require a lot of skill and knowledge about the game.

Edited by A1rPun
  • Like 1

Game consists from 4 locations 3 floors each. With character Aria, I didn't beat even first location - character is hard as hell. Achievement "Impossible, Right?" requires you to finish game with Coda, which is, basically, Aria, with 2 additional features, which make game a LOTS harder. So, achievement name fits here perfect.

hahahaa ! i knew it ... coda clear run ! One of the hardest archievements  !  :) will be pretty much around under 1% plat with coda run ! . i have never played it but i saw speedruns of it .

Coda: you die if you miss a single beat , you die by picking up gold (enemys drop gold after dieing -> so killing enemys in small areas is pretty hard) , and so on .

There are not many ppl who are able to do that ! :)

For completion rate hunter , dont start it unless you want to spend 100 h trying! for rest : it is very fun game with awesome soundtrack .

aki, xionx, and i talked pretty extensively about this one on one of my statuses a couple days ago. quick recap of how the game works (no actual spoiler, just not a gameplay thread though related)

this is a zelda-like rogue-lite dungeon crawler where your movements are encouraged to move to the beat of the background song. the only buttons you use, on PC anyway, are the arrow keys. you automatically attack any adjacent enemies and open chests as long as you get the timing right. there's a score multiplier that increases as long as you move to the beat and it resets when you break the beat or get hit. try to go as far as you can, cause if you die, you have the start the dungeon all over.

as everyone said, the steam achievements, which are now psn trophies, are extremely difficult. this is definitely going to be a <1% and 120+ hour type of platinum. only those will very high patience and time to know the game inside-out will get it. that said, i still encourage everyone to at least check it out. it's an incredibly unique experience and once you get used to the game it becomes very immersive. but if you're a completionist, might want to stay away from this one. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

You can't, at least not in the Steam version.

Yeah, I wasn't able to get one of the earlier trophies with a seeded run. 

I heard it's the same for steam, but some achievements seem to be unlockable (getting killed by green slime, etc). All trophies that cannot be unlocked by seeded runs say, "All Zones Mode." Can anyone confirm whether you can unlock other trophies on a seeded run? The 3 green bats one would be super helpful (since they are so rare) because you could find a green bat, write down the seed # and repeat until you killed three of them.

I was able to get a few trophies on seeded runs (8Ball and kill green slime). I think you can do it with the green bats as well, but you might need three different seeds to do it.

I found a green bat seed the other day, but killing the green bat three times didn't work. So I think the game registers a green bat seed as "unique" and you have to find three different green bats (seeds) to unlock the trophy. I'll start a thread for green bat sharing. 

• 3 weeks later...

Finally made it to Coda. Have a nice Coda seed with a Zone 1-1 ring of phasing shop spawn if anyone wants it for when the time comes.

This game is hard as hell. Took me nearly 4 hours to complete the all characters run, which went surprisingly smooth (no close calls for the final run). Made it to Monk as third character a few times and died from vow of poverty, despite taking my sweet ass time. Zone 3-3 starts, spawned right next to the miniboss which comes rushing in with a lubeless strap-on, while the fucking 6, count them 6, enemies swarmed in to watch me take it. Almost nothing I could have done. 

• Like 2

Finally made it to Coda. Have a nice Coda seed with a Zone 1-1 ring of phasing shop spawn if anyone wants it for when the time comes.

This game is hard as hell. Took me nearly 4 hours to complete the all characters run, which went surprisingly smooth (no close calls for the final run). Made it to Monk as third character a few times and died from vow of poverty, despite taking my sweet ass time. Zone 3-3 starts, spawned right next to the miniboss which comes rushing in with a lubeless strap-on, while the fucking 6, count them 6, enemies swarmed in to watch me take it. Almost nothing I could have done. 

Congrats! That's quite an accomplishment. Is it possible to complete an all zone rune and still get the trophy for it while on seeded mode? I thought that wasn't possible.

I agree. It's hard as hell. You need luck as well, especially in zone 3.

Haven't played an all char run yet. First I'm trying to get a 10 win streak in Cadence deathless mode. I died two times after five wins yesterday, such a shame. If I remember correctly I've red somewhere that you died on your 9th run? That'd be horrific. After deathless mode I'll finish up Bolt and Aria and then move on to an All char run. Even with items it's hard as hell, but without items? Eh... That's insane.

Congrats! That's quite an accomplishment. Is it possible to complete an all zone rune and still get the trophy for it while on seeded mode? I thought that wasn't possible.

I agree. It's hard as hell. You need luck as well, especially in zone 3.

Haven't played an all char run yet. First I'm trying to get a 10 win streak in Cadence deathless mode. I died two times after five wins yesterday, such a shame. If I remember correctly I've red somewhere that you died on your 9th run? That'd be horrific. After deathless mode I'll finish up Bolt and Aria and then move on to an All char run. Even with items it's hard as hell, but without items? Eh... That's insane.

Thanks man, it was tough getting to this point. 

The Coda ring of phasing seed is just for practice, since you can't earn the trophy while in seeded mode. One of the most popular strategies for playing Coda relies a lot on getting the ring of phasing, which makes the run much easier. But there are some small nuances to playing with the ring that you will probably want to practice to get used to it (jumping out from the wall and attacking enemies near the exit).

Yeah, I won 9 times, then died. It was 3 am and my brain was just on autopilot. Saw two ground gophers swarming in after I killed the miniboss, panicked, and thought it would be a good idea to run into the corner, only to hit a wall mimick with black wizards chasing me. Then I died after 7 wins from picking up a glass jaw from a chest by accident. Imagine dying on Bard (if it's the last character) on an all characters run. Now that would be awful, haha. I mean, you do have to be a little careful with Bard since it is possible to die. Actually, yesterday I was on Dorian (after beating Aria, Monk, Bolt and Dove) and my dog wanted a snack. Rushes toward me and I almost drop my keyboard, but I grab it near the Tab button (which is the command for auto-restart). Just imagine if I had hit that. So much pain.

I'm not looking forward to low% run with all characters. I think it might be easier than Coda, but there will be some tough characters. Dove might not be so bad. Monk will be hard because you only have two hearts (why?), same with Melody. Without armor, that means getting hit by a bomb kills you. Bolt shouldn't be that bad. Dorian is a tank, so that will be fine. Eli should be ok. I'm worried about cadence without items, but kind've the same as playing with monk. The thing about low% runs is that it's sort of like a speed run. You try to find the exit as fast as possible. There's a lot of pausing and waiting from the videos I watched. Some people (with monk), kill the boss and then hide somewhere until the next level. 

A general tip to avoid swarming enemies anywhere is not to pick up a torch. It isn't hard to play without one, so I recommend it for your all character runs and Aria. The torch increases your field of view, but it increases the enemy's as well allowing them to swarm. Don't pick up a torch for your Aria (with items) run. The enemies will swarm you and make life more difficult.

Another tip that may help you is to buy a keyboard and Xim4. I use a mechanical keyboard, which works great as a metronome. The Xim4 is required because a keyboard by itself does not work. It maps the controller commands to your keyboard. I didn't want to play Bolt like a peasant with the controller. In fact, I was terrible with Bolt with the controller. I was missing beats all over the place. After getting the keyboard, I rarely missed a beat without even that much practice. It was a huge difference, and will probably help a lot with the Coda run as well. 

If you have any questions about boss strategies, characters runs, etc, let me know. I've worked out a lot by trial and error. 

• Like 1