Crypt of the NecroDancer - Trophy Thoughts?

Thanks man, it was tough getting to this point.

The Coda ring of phasing seed is just for practice, since you can't earn the trophy while in seeded mode. One of the most popular strategies for playing Coda relies a lot on getting the ring of phasing, which makes the run much easier. But there are some small nuances to playing with the ring that you will probably want to practice to get used to it (jumping out from the wall and attacking enemies near the exit).

Yeah, I won 9 times, then died. It was 3 am and my brain was just on autopilot. Saw two ground gophers swarming in after I killed the miniboss, panicked, and thought it would be a good idea to run into the corner, only to hit a wall mimick with black wizards chasing me. Then I died after 7 wins from picking up a glass jaw from a chest by accident. Imagine dying on Bard (if it's the last character) on an all characters run. Now that would be awful, haha. I mean, you do have to be a little careful with Bard since it is possible to die. Actually, yesterday I was on Dorian (after beating Aria, Monk, Bolt and Dove) and my dog wanted a snack. Rushes toward me and I almost drop my keyboard, but I grab it near the Tab button (which is the command for auto-restart). Just imagine if I had hit that. So much pain.

I'm not looking forward to low% run with all characters. I think it might be easier than Coda, but there will be some tough characters. Dove might not be so bad. Monk will be hard because you only have two hearts (why?), same with Melody. Without armor, that means getting hit by a bomb kills you. Bolt shouldn't be that bad. Dorian is a tank, so that will be fine. Eli should be ok. I'm worried about cadence without items, but kind've the same as playing with monk. The thing about low% runs is that it's sort of like a speed run. You try to find the exit as fast as possible. There's a lot of pausing and waiting from the videos I watched. Some people (with monk), kill the boss and then hide somewhere until the next level.

A general tip to avoid swarming enemies anywhere is not to pick up a torch. It isn't hard to play without one, so I recommend it for your all character runs and Aria. The torch increases your field of view, but it increases the enemy's as well allowing them to swarm. Don't pick up a torch for your Aria (with items) run. The enemies will swarm you and make life more difficult.

Another tip that may help you is to buy a keyboard and Xim4. I use a mechanical keyboard, which works great as a metronome. The Xim4 is required because a keyboard by itself does not work. It maps the controller commands to your keyboard. I didn't want to play Bolt like a peasant with the controller. In fact, I was terrible with Bolt with the controller. I was missing beats all over the place. After getting the keyboard, I rarely missed a beat without even that much practice. It was a huge difference, and will probably help a lot with the Coda run as well.

If you have any questions about boss strategies, characters runs, etc, let me know. I've worked out a lot by trial and error.

Ah the glass jaw, fun isn't? I died due to the exact same reason on my 3rd run yesterday. Never knew that you'd get insta killed by wearing it. Seems like I learned the hard way. I wonder if there are more items like that?

The torch tip is really helpful. Never knew that either. Will come in handy when playing with Aria.

I was already wondering if you could play with a keyboard. Yesterday I was playing with Bolt and kept missing many beats aswel. I'm surprised I even made it to 4-2 by using the controller.

Thankyou for this information. It's really useful! :)

Edited by Floriiss

Ah the glass jaw, fun isn't? I died due to the exact same reason on my 3rd run yesterday. Never knew that you'd get insta killed by wearing it. Seems like I learned the hard way. I wonder if there are more items like that?

The torch tip is really helpful. Never knew that either. Will come in handy when playing with Aria.

I was already wondering if you could play with a keyboard. Yesterday I was playing with Bolt and kept missing many beats aswel. I'm surprised I even made it to 4-2 by using the controller.

Thankyou for this information. It's really useful! :)

The karate uniform. You will receive double the damage, but I haven't seen it that often in treasure chests for cadence. 

The downside to not using a torch is that you will not see enemies behind a door or when breaking a wall. Always jump back one space when you open doors/break down walls (but only super important for Aria since getting hit once kills you). 

The controller is a nightmare to play Bolt with. Can't even imagine trying Coda with it, because you have to jump back and forth between two tiles a lot.

Also, practice the fast kill on the Golden Lute once you unlock it. I've beaten Aria 10 times or so and surprisingly only got a horse spawn once.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So is this uncompletable or just really hard? 

The last two trophies are what defines the absurd difficulty of this game. Coda will take you about a minimum of a month to do, practicing everyday. The first person to ever complete it for PC took two months of practice. Only 12 people have done a Coda run on the PC, and the game has been out for more than a year. Even less have completed the all chars low% run (maybe 3 or 4?). 

You can check out my recent stream just to see how retarded playing as Coda is:

https://www.twitch.tv/beatmania2dxs/v/68557056

Almost 4 hours and I didn't even get to zone 2, lol. Later today, I got to zone 2 a few more times though and improved my PB on zone 2-3. I played for a few days when I unlocked Coda back in March, but I took a good long break from the game until I decided to work at finishing Coda last week. Floriss is almost finished though (he's at zone 4-3), he'll end up getting it any day now. Aquacat doesn't count, cause he's a longtime veteran of the game and already had already done Coda a few times on PC  :P

• Like 1

The last two trophies are what defines the absurd difficulty of this game. Coda will take you about a minimum of a month to do, practicing everyday. The first person to ever complete it for PC took two months of practice. Only 12 people have done a Coda run on the PC, and the game has been out for more than a year. Even less have completed the all chars low% run (maybe 3 or 4?). 

You can check out my recent stream just to see how retarded playing as Coda is:

https://www.twitch.tv/beatmania2dxs/v/68557056

Almost 4 hours and I didn't even get to zone 2, lol. Later today, I got to zone 2 a few more times though and improved my PB on zone 2-3. I played for a few days when I unlocked Coda back in March, but I took a good long break from the game until I decided to work at finishing Coda last week. Floriss is almost finished though (he's at zone 4-3), he'll end up getting it any day now. Aquacat doesn't count, cause he's a longtime veteran of the game and already had already done Coda a few times on PC  :P

Reached zone 4-3 twice actually! But yeah I agree. It's ridiculously hard. 

I've been practicing Coda for around six weeks now. Hopefully I'll be able to beat Coda anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Reached zone 4-3 twice actually! But yeah I agree. It's ridiculously hard. 

I've been practicing Coda for around six weeks now. Hopefully I'll be able to beat Coda anytime soon.

I was randomly looking through the trophies section of this site which is how I found myself here :P Dude, I hope real-life commitments haven't been holding you back, being the first and probably only platinum achiever for a while would be a huge feat  :holy:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Dum dum dummm, we have a new platinum achiever in the house! He is also Japanese - http://psnprofiles.com/toyk54

Yeah I've noticed that too! Already spoke to him today. Too bad he can't speak english though. (He used google translate). He did it really fast as well. Only one month after completing Coda which is really fast and impressive. Awesome to see another person obtaining this ridiculously hard platinum.

This kinda motivates me to get back into the game.. x_x

On the other side, Aquacat hasn't earned a trophy for 6 months and his last trophy was from Cotn. I'm wondering if he gave up or still is trying to obtain the last trophy. :blink: The last trophy definitely is both skill and luck based. 

• Like 1

Yeah, it's beyond my coprehension how he could do it so fast, haha...

By the way, Coda is on his way to plat Eagle Flight, another game without any Plat achieveres... lol, this guy :)

altough it is a bit different story as Eagle VR is more about grinding multiplayer games.

And what if this player wouldn't be a japanese or just has a japanese account? Wouldn't you believe it or what? Or is this just an other cliché about that Asians can do anything? :hmm: lol

Don't be so sensitive man, lol. It's no cliché that Asians are inclined to have more determination and are better suited for grindy and/or rhytm games than average Westerner. I meant that as a compliment, not offense.

• Like 4

• 5 years later...
On 02/05/2022 at 9:59 PM, pjcooper2012 said:

looking at the list and playing the game a bit this seems somewhat doable with enough trial and error, even lowest of the low seems possible if you sink enough time into it, right now it seems like that hardest trophy is for coda since its barely doable with a base ps4 controller 

I don't know what you mean by doable but I do know that the lowest of the low trophy gonna take nearly 1000 hours to finally get a chance to pop it. Coda is much easier (Controller or keyboard) especially if you attempt clearing her after lowest of the low. Everything takes time to master in this game even getting the first low% clear on Aria gonna take at least 100 hours which by the time you get the platinum, you can clear her anytime you want. Funny how the learning curve of this game works 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 1:59 PM, pjcooper2012 said:

looking at the list and playing the game a bit this seems somewhat doable with enough trial and error, even lowest of the low seems possible if you sink enough time into it, right now it seems like that hardest trophy is for coda since its barely doable with a base ps4 controller 

It's doable, but you will probably spend a year doing it. A Coda run will take a minimum of 1 month of consistent practice (typically 2+ months, easily). Easier to cheese with the ring of phasing, but you're mostly battling nerves at the end of the run. I wouldn't recommend using a controller unless you're a masochist. There's too much jumping back and forth and one of the boss fights is ~300 BPM. Just no point in making a difficult trophy even harder for no good reason.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2022 at 11:19 PM, Beatmania2dxs said:

It's doable, but you will probably spend a year doing it. A Coda run will take a minimum of 1 month of consistent practice (typically 2+ months, easily). Easier to cheese with the ring of phasing, but you're mostly battling nerves at the end of the run. I wouldn't recommend using a controller unless you're a masochist. There's too much jumping back and forth and one of the boss fights is ~300 BPM. Just no point in making a difficult trophy even harder for no good reason.

I know that this is about 3 weeks late, but I will say that a controller is pretty doable, even without phasing. I got to 3-4 last week as Coda without phasing while playing on a PS5 controller (which is far better than playing on a PS4 controller), which made me feel a lot better about getting a clear. The only reason I died is because I wasn't paying attention during the 3-4 King Conga fight, which caused me to step on a confuse trap and run into Konga. I felt really stupid after that death, especially since I was so close to killing Konga... but I did feel a lot more confident about my skills.

Honestly Zone 4 as Coda is without exaggeration the most extreme thing I have ever done as a gamer. Missing a beat isn't a problem for me; it's the damn enemy swarms in Zone 4, especially on 4-3. It's especially frustrating because you start with no items in single-zones and you can't see what's beyond the walls. I got to the boss room on 4-3 last week on single-zones, so I think I'm good enough to get a clear if I were to make it to Zone 4 due to me having almost no items in single-zones.

Edited by NeatherBen221
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/1/2022 at 2:30 PM, NeatherBen221 said:

I know that this is about 3 weeks late, but I will say that a controller is pretty doable, even without phasing. I got to 3-4 last week as Coda without phasing while playing on a PS5 controller (which is far better than playing on a PS4 controller), which made me feel a lot better about getting a clear. The only reason I died is because I wasn't paying attention during the 3-4 King Conga fight, which caused me to step on a confuse trap and run into Konga. I felt really stupid after that death, especially since I was so close to killing Konga... but I did feel a lot more confident about my skills.

Honestly Zone 4 as Coda is without exaggeration the most extreme thing I have ever done as a gamer. Missing a beat isn't a problem for me; it's the damn enemy swarms in Zone 4, especially on 4-3. It's especially frustrating because you start with no items in single-zones and you can't see what's beyond the walls. I got to the boss room on 4-3 last week on single-zones, so I think I'm good enough to get a clear if I were to make it to Zone 4 due to me having almost no items in single-zones.

I think it's doable, but IMO using a controller is going to add an additional layer of difficulty to the run that doesn't need to exist. It's just the ergonomics of using a keyboard vs. a controller pad with one hand.

• 2 months later...

Noob question... I was trying this game for the first time, and since the most difficult trophy is doing all zones with everyone on a row without using items or shrines... isn't it better to start playing the game that way? I mean, not using items or shrines? Maybe some trophies need and specific item but you can do that later, even if the curve is steeper wont be better to start playing always with your initial gear to prepare to the very last ordeal? Question from someone that just have played the game for an hour or so...

2 hours ago, DeepEyes7 said:

Noob question... I was trying this game for the first time, and since the most difficult trophy is doing all zones with everyone on a row without using items or shrines... isn't it better to start playing the game that way? I mean, not using items or shrines? Maybe some trophies need and specific item but you can do that later, even if the curve is steeper wont be better to start playing always with your initial gear to prepare to the very last ordeal? Question from someone that just have played the game for an hour or so...

It's not neccessarily better in my opinion. Using items might just make your progress faster as you will be allowed to make more mistakes in a short period of time and hopefully learn from them. Maybe sticking to food/spear/dagger for the most part and trying to not rely too much on scrolls/spells/shrines could help though. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DeepEyes7 said:

I think you risk getting discouraged by the steep difficulty curve at that point and giving up on the game altogether.  I personally find it easier to work on the trophies in the order of their difficulty, starting with easiest to hardest.  This way you always have some goal to look forward to in relatively near future, rather than 1000 hours away.  At the same time you're still gaining knowledge about the game, like enemy patterns, tempo changes etc.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 9/20/2022 at 5:04 PM, DeepEyes7 said:

Not a good idea, I already tried this when I had a few hours in the game, and It felt Impossible, Most likely you are going to be stuck on Aria the whole time until you mastered the Beat, Bolt is also a tough character if you haven't practiced with her, although she is easier than Aria because she has a long range weapon. You should at least play with every character, and get a clear with them, so you can be familiar with what they can't and can do, also you get a trophy for getting your first clear with every character so why not try getting that first. You should try mastering the double tempo and normal tempo beat before attempting the all character's mode, as you could drop a ton of beats giving enemies free movement while you can't move because you missed a beat. Like the trophy guide says, you should save this trophy for later once you have more experience with the game.

Edited by Kasumi Amari
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 5/5/2016 at 2:13 PM, LunchCannon54 said:

So is this uncompletable or just really hard? 

It's insanely hard, literally took me 350 hours to clear Coda, and it's not even the hardest trophy as lowest is somehow even worse, but Coda isn't included so less stressful and more doable still nine characters in a row one bad RNG move and the game is over. It's already hard enough clearing one character but everyone in the game no armor, no headwear, no better weapons, no higher level shovels, no torches, no rings, no charms, one damage the entire run, one bomb to work with, only healing source is the Rainbow Pixie fairies which only spawn on the final floor 4-3 sometimes RNG won't spawn any which means no healing for you at all.
Edited by Kimura Takahashi
  • Like 3

On 2/5/2016 at 12:37 PM, Beatmania2dxs said:

What makes this game particularly difficult? Gameplay videos don't look that bad.

Well the game is mostly hard because it's RNG based RNG does a lot in this game creating a layout every floor how many higher level walls it should spawn, so you don't dig straight to the miniboss, how close enemies should be next to each other, should these enemies be a greater version, so it's not too easy to complete the floor. Some people can get amazing RNG which makes the floors way too easy to complete, while others open a room with large amounts of monsters, pretty much ending the run. It's also a rhythm game which makes it, so you can't move whenever you want you have to do it in a very specific rhythm, if your inputs don't match with the music at all then it will drop the beat freezing you for one beat which can create unavoidable hits, another thing is the monsters hit hard in this game like most of the attacks do 1.5 to 3 damage which will either leave you one shot or just an instakill attack.

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2016 at 12:37 PM, Beatmania2dxs said:

What makes this game particularly difficult? Gameplay videos don't look that bad.

Well, the game itself is already difficult, it's mostly difficult because it's RNG based, and you have to move in a very precise rhythm to keep the beat, literally anything you do has to be done with the beat. The game has a good amount of characters which are all unique and have a different kind of playstyle, like Monk, who literally gets instakilled from picking up gold you really have to think twice where you're killing these monsters at as you can potentially trap yourself, certain monsters are now twice as deadly as they can pull you or confuse you to step into the gold or Dove, who is a pacifist and probably one of the easiest challenge characters but will require a lot more good RNG as she literally can't kill anything. There are also challenge runs which they call Low% runs which just has you beat "All Zones Mode" with the starting loadout picking up items or activating shrines is not permitted they could have banned you from picking up gold, but the run is already terrifying as it is, and you will be wasting a lot more time walking around gold, so you are allowed to pick up gold just can't use it whatsoever, some characters have some brutal low% runs like Aria only permitted to taking one hit anything more will end the run, other thing none of the characters spawn with any food items, so you have no health regeneration at all thankfully there is a mostly harmless enemy in Zone four that can heal you but again won't spawn till the very end of the run. And to make things worse, you have to do this in the "All Characters Mode," which means everyone has to do the Low% challenge. Once you completed the "All Characters Mode" for the first time, you unlock the probably impossible character "Coda." She has three characters combined into her, which all happen to be challenge characters, and one of the most difficult characters in the game. Thankfully, you don't have to do a low% run with Coda, but you still have to get a clear with her for a trophy. Her runs are brutal, and your run is always going to be on edge as there are so many ways she can get instakilled one wrong move at any point of the run it's over, and it's back to the very beginning.

On 2/14/2016 at 1:35 PM, Beatmania2dxs said:

I was able to get a few trophies on seeded runs (8Ball and kill green slime). I think you can do it with the green bats as well, but you might need three different seeds to do it.

I found a green bat seed the other day, but killing the green bat three times didn't work. So I think the game registers a green bat seed as "unique" and you have to find three different green bats (seeds) to unlock the trophy. I'll start a thread for green bat sharing. 

8ball can be cheesed on King Konga or Skeleton caves/bat caves, you can get killed by the green slime very easily with two controllers on the Amplified DLC. Just use Eli's shove ability until the slime is shoved into player one. As for green bats, there is no cheesing method besides using the daily challenge for a guaranteed green bat only if it spawns in the daily challenge for that day.