Rocketbirds 2: Evolution coming to PS4 and Vita

Not had enough of the Rooster with a Rocket Booster? Well, it seems that Hardboiled and the Budgie Brigade will return in a sequel on PS4 and PSVita soon.

The creator of Rocketbirds, Sian Yue Tan, recently took to the PlayStation Blog to reveal his studio's forthcoming sequel, entitled Rocketbirds 2: Evolution.

Rocketbirds 2 will feature a single player campaign and a more in depth co-op multiplayer mode called "Rescue Mode". 

In the single player campaign, Hardboiled discovers that Il Putzki is still alive and sets out to kill him again. However, along the way he will find out that the "Trans-Dimensional Space Owls" are behind Putzki's reappearance and will "need to re-assess who his enemies really are". 

Rescue Mode will feature customisable Budgie Commandos, so you shouldn't be limited to one gun per character. The mode will revolve around rescuing hostages in procedurally generated levels with up to four player "drop-in, drop-out" co-operative multiplayer. 

There will also be a PvP area called the Dojo, where you can test your skills against the world.

The gameplay appears to take place on a 2D plane, as in the original, but serious work seems to have gone into updating the visuals with what appears to be dynamic lighting and other effects. (Follow the above link to the PSBlog to check those out, I can't embed them here.)

New World Revolution have returned to create the soundtrack - their work on the original Rocketbirds was spectacular by the way - and the game will feature English and Japanese voice work for the characters. 

Work has also been done to tighten up the controls, especially in combat. Skilled players will now be able to "run, aim, jump and shoot; all at the same time". 

Tan explains that he felt dissatisfied with the limited scope of the first game and that he hopes the replayability of Rescue Mode, its customisable characters, and plenty of hidden weapons and Easter eggs will entice players into spending longer with this installment. 

Trailer:

Finally, the game will feature cross-buy for PS4 and Vita, so buying one version of the game will allow you to download it on the other console too.

If you didn't play the original Rocketbirds, you should note that it was a PS+ freebie in December 2015 for the Vita so it may be sat in your backlog if you're in the habit of "buying" all six PS+ freebies each month. With a great soundtrack, excellent artwork, brilliant comedy moments and a relatively easy platinum trophy on offer, you should check it out. (Shameless self-promotion: there's a link to my PSNP trophy guide in my sig below.)

Get ready to ruffle some feathers people. Hardbolied is back. 

Yeah, a release date would have been nice, but I'm excited all the same. I enjoyed the first game a lot for what it was, and am excited for more. Hopefully this will be one of those situations where the game just turns up one day and gives us all a nice surprise. That, or a release date is announced soon.

Oh, I'll keep an eye out for this.

Not too thrilled about MP stuff though. That means even more MP trophies, and one more game I won't be able to get the plat for...

We'll have to wait and see on that front, but the blog post does say that you can do Rescue Mode alone. I'd imagine that there might be some token MP trophies though, like having 4 budgies in a tower, or "kill X number of enemies while part of a 4 budgie tower" or something. 

If they're all progression based, e.g. find all the weapons in Rescue Mode, then it should be do-able even if you don't like MP.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I absolutely loved the first one, and platted in on both vita and PS3.

I began to play this episode yesterday, and to be honest... It feel like a really bad game :/. It is slow, not as easy to control as before, the voice acting is absolutely useless because it is really bad, and i was stucked in the very first level. I searched for about an hour where to go, everything was closed or unreachable. I'm usually not that dumb in a videogame so either i really missed something either it bugged on me. I was supposed to fight a mecha-something.

There was a platform that i could move up and that was going back directly. I used the cellphone to control the ennemy that stands in front of the big screen, i opened a door with him, then i killed him. Now, i can't find anywhere to go :/