Witness gets a perfect 10 from IGN

HumanError101

I generally enjoy these kind of wander around games; perfected The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. Also did Ether One, but we don't mention that.  

Have some friends who have been really hyped for The Witness for a time and they have really piqued my interest regarding it, so may have to give in and check it out when it goes live.

• Like 1

Congratulations to John Blow and the team, they deserve it. I just hope the sale numbers are just as good. 

Seems that the environment was ripped out of a mobile game... It looks like it tho.

You may be on to something there, the game is coming to IOS and the other platforms "later", maybe they preparing for the later porting?  

I guess you could say that we just witnessed a 10/10

Carry on and you may witness your own demise? :P

evil-smile.jpg

Edited by FlareXV
  • Like 2

Congratulations to John Blow and the team, they deserve it. I just hope the sale numbers are just as good. 

You may be on to something there, the game is coming to IOS and the other platforms "later", maybe they preparing for the later porting?  

Carry on and you may witness your own demise? :P

evil-smile.jpg

Since the price is $40, I'm not sure the sales are gonna be that great. Certainly I won't be buying it at that price, even if it's a 10/10.

They aren't going to be getting $40 for it on iOS. This game has flash sale/Plus title written all over it. You know, after the first few weeks once sales fall off the cliff and the game gets forgotten by the masses.

I'm happy to support smaller teams and indies, but the price needs to be reasonable. $40 isn't IMO.

• Like 1

Since the price is $40, I'm not sure the sales are gonna be that great. Certainly I won't be buying it at that price, even if it's a 10/10.

They aren't going to be getting $40 for it on iOS. This game has flash sale/Plus title written all over it. You know, after the first few weeks once sales fall off the cliff and the game gets forgotten by the masses.

I'm happy to support smaller teams and indies, but the price needs to be reasonable. $40 isn't IMO.

Clearly you have your method for determining value. Each of the write-ups I came across have said that at the time of writing the review the reviewers have spent 65+ hours and all said they had many more hours to do everything in the game. 

Games that can keep game reviewers occupied for nearly 100 hours without multiplayer seem a better value to my standards. I think $40 is right about where I would pay for a game that can keep me occupied and interested for that long and doesn't rely on MP.

• Like 2

Clearly you have your method for determining value. Each of the write-ups I came across have said that at the time of writing the review the reviewers have spent 65+ hours and all said they had many more hours to do everything in the game. 

Games that can keep game reviewers occupied for nearly 100 hours without multiplayer seem a better value to my standards. I think $40 is right about where I would pay for a game that can keep me occupied and interested for that long and doesn't rely on MP.

Fair points - I would say that typically the length estimates get overblown. Once the games get into the hands of gamers, the time to completion tends to go down.

I'm not sure how a puzzle based game could possibly have that amount of content. That would be exceptional. Other than RPG's, I can't think of many games that can have that amount of game play without MP or a lot of repetition.

If it is because of the time to solve puzzles, once the game is out and guides available, then the time will go down very quickly.

As for value, I tend to be a lot more selective for digital only purchases. $40, non-refundable, non-resellable - that would have to be an absolute slam dunk.

I'm not sure I have ever paid more than $20 for a digital only game.

Fair points - I would say that typically the length estimates get overblown. Once the games get into the hands of gamers, the time to completion tends to go down.

I'm not sure how a puzzle based game could possibly have that amount of content. That would be exceptional. Other than RPG's, I can't think of many games that can have that amount of game play without MP or a lot of repetition.

If it is because of the time to solve puzzles, once the game is out and guides available, then the time will go down very quickly.

As for value, I tend to be a lot more selective for digital only purchases. $40, non-refundable, non-resellable - that would have to be an absolute slam dunk.

I'm not sure I have ever paid more than $20 for a digital only game.

Sorry, I should have covered some of my premises.

• The Witness is rumored for a physical release after initial digital sales come in.
  • I never go by "finished with a guide" time, because I don't believe that's playing the game. I ignore any speedrun times for the same reason.
  • This isn't the publisher saying it's so many hours (as in marketing), these are reviewers saying they've already put in the hours.

I agree with you on digital sales but am even more stringent. I don't believe I have yet paid more than $10 for a digital title. 

Sorry, I should have covered some of my premises.

• The Witness is rumored for a physical release after initial digital sales come in.
  • I never go by "finished with a guide" time, because I don't believe that's playing the game. I ignore any speedrun times for the same reason.
  • This isn't the publisher saying it's so many hours (as in marketing), these are reviewers saying they've already put in the hours.

I agree with you on digital sales but am even more stringent. I don't believe I have yet paid more than $10 for a digital title. 

I would be possibly more inclined to pay $40 for a physical release of this. Agree with your other points. But I still think reviewers are the world's slowest gamers. I swear some of them must count hours between when they loaded it up and when they finished it, not actual time spent playing. I mean wasn't The Order like 20 hours according to reviewers? Maybe if you include driving to the store, downloading the patch, lunch out with co-workers, 8 hours of sleeping - yup, about 20 hours seems right :P

I would also say that if this really is 100ish hours, probably gets a pass from me for being too long - I know that sounds weird, but I can't think of many games that I have played of that length that haven't become boring and repetitive. 20-30 hours is usually enough for me to be done and ready to move on.

Oh, and I paid $20 for Truck Racer. Lesson learned :facepalm:

Edited by diskdocx