Witness gets a perfect 10 from IGN

HumanError101

Since the price is $40, I'm not sure the sales are gonna be that great. Certainly I won't be buying it at that price, even if it's a 10/10.

They aren't going to be getting $40 for it on iOS. This game has flash sale/Plus title written all over it. You know, after the first few weeks once sales fall off the cliff and the game gets forgotten by the masses.

I'm happy to support smaller teams and indies, but the price needs to be reasonable. $40 isn't IMO.

To be honest, I don't think this game will pass the 500,000 mark but I hope I'm wrong in the long run. The game development took too long and $40 isn't the price people are willing to pay for an indie (even if it's one of the best). So yeah, I agree with you that the first few weeks will be great but after, the sales will take a nose dive.

I think SOMA was also affected by the same problem, the game cost around $30 and many people weren't here for that. I remember hearing SOMA making 120k in its first week after that, nothing.

EDIT: I just checked the sales of the PC version of The Witness, it's around 3,312 right now. I think that's a bit low but I'll wait for the day to go by so I can judge its performance again.

Edited by FlareXV

So by IGN's standards as good as Ocarina of Time, Soul Calibur, The Last of Us, GTA V, and Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Though I understand IGN isn't just one reviewer. It would be nice if they had a dedicated team again so you could at least form a more coherent opinion of the score they issue out. Nowadays it's just random Twitter bloggers who seem to freelance reviews. Before it was the Playstation team who rated all Playstation games, which at least gave you a good consistency report. This 10/10 review was no different than a person on Youtube giving a 10/10 to a game he or she liked.

So by IGN's standards as good as Ocarina of Time, Soul Calibur, The Last of Us, GTA V, and Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Though I understand IGN isn't just one reviewer. It would be nice if they had a dedicated team again so you could at least form a more coherent opinion of the score they issue out. Nowadays it's just random Twitter bloggers who seem to freelance reviews. Before it was the Playstation team who rated all Playstation games, which at least gave you a good consistency report. This 10/10 review was no different than a person on Youtube giving a 10/10 to a game he or she liked.

Hey! You've just pointed out a few of the reasons why a score is meaningless!  :yay:

For what I can see in the trailer. It'S just a lot of tiny maze puzzles on an island. I don't see why the cost is 40 bucks, It should be 20 at most in my opinion.

You seen the visuals? Plus it's built in a bespoke engine, not licensed. Many indy games use Unity or Unreal, which are free to download and play around with and will only charge you if you release a game using them. 

These things aren't free. Guy spent something approaching 8 years of his life making a game with a staff of 8 other people. 

The higher than usual price may reflect higher than usual costs for an indie. 

Clearly you have your method for determining value. Each of the write-ups I came across have said that at the time of writing the review the reviewers have spent 65+ hours and all said they had many more hours to do everything in the game. 

Games that can keep game reviewers occupied for nearly 100 hours without multiplayer seem a better value to my standards. I think $40 is right about where I would pay for a game that can keep me occupied and interested for that long and doesn't rely on MP.

So, just as a follow up - looks like the first plat on PSNP is in, with a 2day 8 hour time.

Now I realize that there can be a lot more to a game than just getting the plat, but given that there are no comprehensive guides out there, 2 days 8 hours would at most be 30ish hours, unless dood didn't sleep.

I would think that 20-30 hour total play time might be more realistic, at least from a platinum perspective.

I would think that 20-30 hour total play time might be more realistic, at least from a platinum perspective.

1 result is hard to extrapolate from. Especially on a site known for people doing whatever they can to be first achievers. I would gauge that as a speedrun just for the trophies/platinum. I don't know about you, but that's not how I think most people enjoy games.

1 result is hard to extrapolate from. Especially on a site known for people doing whatever they can to be first achievers. I would gauge that as a speedrun just for the trophies/platinum. I don't know about you, but that's not how I think most people enjoy games.

That was why I put the disclaimer in, that is just for the platinum. Not sure it would be a speed run, since there are no guides (AFAIK), so presumably the first plat achiever had to sort everything out.

I tend to take longer than average to finish most games, esp open world games.

I just don't think this is a 100 hour game.

I just don't think this is a 100 hour game.

I'm nearly at the end, and yeah, some reviewer's estimates were way off on this. I'm thinking I'll clock in at around 20 hours myself for the plat, and more if I want to track down all the secrets, maybe about 30-35.

On topic:

I think a better estimate of the game's value would be to compare it to another game. 

Eurogamer's review compared it to Portal 2. I am inclined to agree:

• The central hook of both games is the satisfying "a-ha!" moments you get when a solution finally clicks in your head;
  • Both are about spacial reasoning puzzles;
  • Both are FP perspective games, etc.

Differences: 

• As far as I am aware, there's less story in The Witness
  • The Witness does a better job of stretching the mechanics you can use in it's puzzles to the limits;
  • The Witness is more open-world, as opposed to linear. 

I'll conclude with this: if you would have bought Portal 2 for £30 if the story and humour had been ripped out, I think you will feel happy about your purchase if you buy The Witness for £30 too. 

Edited by StrickenBiged

I'm nearly at the end, and yeah, some reviewer's estimates were way off on this. I'm thinking I'll clock in at around 20 hours myself for the plat, and more if I want to track down all the secrets, maybe about 30-35.

On topic:

I think a better estimate of the game's value would be to compare it to another game. 

Eurogamer's review compared it to Portal 2. I am inclined to agree:

• The central hook of both games is the satisfying "a-ha!" moments you get when a solution finally clicks in your head;
  • Both are about spacial reasoning puzzles;
  • Both are FP perspective games, etc.

Differences: 

• As far as I am aware, there's less story in The Witness
  • The Witness does a better job of stretching the mechanics you can use in it's puzzles to the limits;
  • The Witness is more open-world, as opposed to linear. 

I'll conclude with this: if you would have bought Portal 2 for £30 if the story and humour had been ripped out, I think you will feel happy about your purchase if you buy The Witness for £30 too. 

I have to disagree. The Witness tells a story.

A story about thinkers trying to make sense of the world around them. If you listen to the audio logs scattered around, collect all the theatre videos, complete both endings, and take time to collect some thoughts, you might be surprised by the depth and meaning of this video game. I have to say, this is the first video game that left me truly spiritually and intellectually enriched.

I might also have a developed some mild form of brain tumour though. Because since I started it and long after I finished it, every time I look around the world is full of patterns, circles and lines. Good lord, what have I done?

EDIT:

VgwHDW0.png?1

Edited by yashtur
  • Like 2

I have to disagree. The Witness tells a story.

A story about thinkers trying to make sense of the world around them. If you listen to the audio logs scattered around, collect all the theatre videos, complete both endings, and take time to collect some thoughts, you might be surprised by the depth and meaning of this video game. I have to say, this is the first video game that left me truly spiritually and intellectually enriched.

Hence my caveat "As far as I am aware". ;)

Great picture though. I only found those in the game yesterday, and am excited to see what happens if I can clear them all!

I've alway loved Myst, even bought the novels and everything, so buying The Witness was a no-brainer for me. I'm liking the game so far. Exploration is fun, I'm really digging the graphic style and the puzzles are well put together (although it's a bit annoying to have to redo the previous puzzle if you mess up one). My main gripe, is that there doesn't seem to be any story whatsoever. There's the audio logs with philosophy quotes (metaphysics, I guess), but is that really it? Myst had a pretty well crafted story about a father and his two sons, and how the three of them created the world you were exploring. The story slowly unraveled as you made your way through the game, and that really made me want to play through the game. In The Witness, it's just the puzzles.

Edited by Such-A-Goonie

I've alway loved Myst, even bought the novels and everything, so buying The Witness was a no-brainer for me. I'm liking the game so far. Exploration is fun, I'm really digging the graphic style and the puzzles are well put together (although it's a bit annoying to have to redo the previous puzzle if you mess up one). My main gripe, is that there doesn't seem to be any story whatsoever. There's the audio logs with philosophy quotes (metaphysics, I guess), but is that really it? Myst had a pretty well crafted story about a father and his two sons, and how the three of them created the world you were exploring. The story slowly unraveled as you made your way through the game, and that really made me want to play through the game. In The Witness, it's just the puzzles.

It makes you go back only if you mess up certain puzzles. You'll note that they're the puzzles with an environmental aspect to the solutions. My guess is that this is a deliberate design choice, to encourage the player to take better notice of their surroundings and learn the rule about those puzzles, rather than just guess.

There is more to the story, but it's very well hidden on audio logs near the end.

I know right. I hate it when reviewers throw out several 10/10 within a year.

My comment was aimed more at the "scores are stupid", rather than a criticism of the score itself.

So glad this 10/10 game is getting pirated to hell and back charging 40 bucks and having the balls to complain lolindies.

If you ever get robbed, I take it you won't complain about it then?

• Like 1