I want to get into fighters

MarsipanRumpan

Hello the PSNP community, I've always wanted to be good at fighters but never seem to be able to do good in them, I've tried many times and now I want to try again. I have an urge to play a fighter, I would love to have it on my Vita as I travel a lot, thus why I posted this in the Vita section of the forums. 

Im pretty good at Smash Bros / Playstation All Stars type of fighters, and I've spent around 1000 hours in Brawl and 100+ in All Stars and I love those kind of fighters, but I want to be good at 'proper' fighters, I want to play them. I got my eyes on Street Fighter X Tekken (Vita), Street Fighter V (PS4), Tekken 6 (Vita/PSP), Mortal Kombat X (PS4) and One Piece Burning Blood (Vita) Wich I will get day one :P

But where should I start? When I was younger I played a Tekken, I only remember being horrible at it and thinking it was weird seeing as it had a bear and tiger in the roster (I belive atleast lol.) and 2014 I played Injustice Gods Among Us for like 3 days and Im horrible at it. I have my eyes open for Street Fighter but it has a really hard trophy list (And Im sure V will have one too) so please help me out here.

ALSO, there can absolutely be a fighter without a trophy list as I mostly want a good fighter, that's fun and easy so I can train I guess. I don't want to jump into a really hard one and again, I would rather have it on Vita, even if its a PS1 / PSP title, but I could also go with PS3 and PS4 titles. I have a PS2 and 1 but don't really see myself go and buy new games for them.

Please help me PSNP community :)

Edit: I know fighters aren't ideal on the Vita, but its just that I travel a lot and I see myself playing a lot there! :P

Edited by MarsipanRumpan
  • Like 1

Tekken Revolution is a good game for a beginner. Was the first fighting game I ever played (aside from one or two Soul caliber rounds years and years ago against my brother on PS2) and only took a couple of days. It's also free and doesn't have DLC trophies. (It's PS3 though, not Vita)

Edited by madbuk

I'm not an expert when it comes to fighting games by any means, but if you're looking for a 'beginner' fighting game for vita, I'd recommend Street Fighter X Tekken. I have yet to play it, but to my understanding it's a good fighting game to start out with. Also, if you're concerned with trophies, Mortal Kombat X has an easy trophy list relative to other fighting games. I recently got the game and it's loads of fun. But I still am having difficulty getting my timing and spacing down. All in all, building up skill in fighting games seems to take lots, and lots of time and practice. So I suggest buying one game, and focusing on building skill in that one game! Good luck! :D

• Like 1

Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 hands down (imo).

I'm not fond of fighters on a Vita, and I think it's hard overall to get good at the genre considering how the system is designed.

Even so, UMVC3 has the easiest timings to connect combos (both ground and aerial) for a decent number of chars, compared to the likes of Street Fighter, Persona 4 Arena, Blazblue and others. Start with some easy ground combos, move your way with connecting them with aerials, and then go to the missions and start practicing them.

Watch videos for practical combos on Youtube and try to mold them to your liking.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra
  • Like 1

MK X is pretty easy to get into imo. The game kinda forces you to learn some combo's as button mashing won't really bring you very far. Just be careful of special attack spammers when going online.

Tekken is easier to get into, but beware when going online as most players will destroy you (speaking from personal experience)

Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 hands down (imo).

I'm not fond of fighters on a Vita, and I think it's hard overall to get good at the genre considering how the system is designed.

Even so, UMVC3 has the easiest timings to connect combos (both ground and aerial) for a decent number of chars, compared to the likes of Street Fighter, Persona 4 Arena, Blazblue and others. Start with some easy ground combos, move your way with connecting them with aerials, and then go to the missions and start practicing them.

Watch videos for practical combos on Youtube and try to mold them to your liking.

Combo king has spoken,

As for the games I really agree here, I loved ultimate, street x tekken and Blazblue on vita, don't know why but I somehow got luck with the controls and got used to it, if you don't mind being stuck with 98 on streetx tekken like me because of the ah hoc trophy, give it a try, it's super fun and easy to learn. Like all major fighting games to master is harder part, however they're great starts to get used to fighthing games

• Like 1

I would pick a fighting game that you enjoy and go after that. Find a character that you like using and just work on mastering all their moves and trials/combos. The first fighting game I really got into was King of Fighters. It is an excellent skill based fighter, but the timing is very unforgiving in my opinion. SFxTK is a lot more forgiving and a ton of fun. I highly suggest trying that out! Also if you have any questions, don't hesitate asking this community. I have gotten so much help from members here and I think that's a huge reason why I am improving. 

Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max (PSP/Vita) is a really great game to start with. In addition to being the best Street Fighter game of all time (in my opinion, obviously) the game is really neat because it has a huge list of characters and fighting styles to play around with. This in turn, allows you to experiment and figure out what you like in a character. The game also has a ton of different options and modes, allowing you to try out your skills in a variety of different environments.

The one downside to the game is the cheap final boss, but this is a Capcom game, so I guess that's not necessarily unexpected. 

Street Fighter X Tekken is pretty fun. Blazblue looks cool too, although I didnt like it very much. I've played UMVC3 on a friend's Vita and it played amazing. I really liked it, but looks like that game is really rare now, well here atleast. There are also a few PSP titles that are pretty good. If you're just getting into fighters, I recommend SFxT.

The vita isn't really the best console for fighting games, you may get the basics down, but they probably won't transfer with you when you play on another console due to things like muscle memory.

Good games to get into fighters are:

• Skullgirls: Has a really good tutorial, but you will never win a match against the people who still play it.
  • Street Fighter 5: When it comes out it will be the new baseline 2D fighting game so you should try learn how to play it when it's still new.
  • Under Night In-Birth EXE:Late: This is the easiest anime fighters to get into. It has an okay tutorial, but it not great. Anything you learn in this game will transfer well into the other anime fighters like GG and BB, but they may not transfer into games like Street Fighter 5.
  • Guilty Gear Xrd/Blazblue CP/CF : These are the baseline for anime fighters right now. These games are hard to learn and harder to get good at.
  • Killer Instinct (XBONE): I always hear great things about KI, but it's only on the XBONE.
  • Tekken 7: When it comes out it will be the new baseline 3D fighting game so you should try learn how to play it when it's still new.
Edited by soultaker655

Echoing others - I wouldn't suggest it for the Vita personally.

On to the question...I'd say it depends on how you like to play. If you don't mind inputting motions, then I'd suggest Street Fighter X Tekken (or any SF really), as I found that series to be pretty easy to start messing around in.

If you don't like motions (like myself) Soul Calibur or Tekken is what I would suggest. Mortal Kombat isn't too bad either. Tekken Revolution (that's still around right? It's been a while) is a free online Tekken, which is great to test the game out and see if you like it. That's what made me realize how much I loved that series, plus it does have trophies if you care about that (just no platinum).