Chapter 14 Tunnel Vision (Crushing) - any tips?

I stayed at the start of the wagon (outisde) without actually being in cover. That way I could shoot around the corner. It took 2 clips of the M7 assault rifle to get rid of his helmet (needless to say aim for his head). Afterwards I threw 4 grenades, emptied the remaining M7 ammo and used the second gun (while getting as many headshots as possible). When the boss kneels down, rush in for a QTE to finish him off.

• Like 1

Thanks - so I need more grenades for a start! :) Did he run at you after you'd done a certain amount of damage? It seems to be the timing of my counter hits in that first melee confrontation that lets me down.

I stayed at the start of the wagon (outisde) without actually being in cover. That way I could shoot around the corner. It took 2 clips of the M7 assault rifle to get rid of his helmet (needless to say aim for his head). Afterwards I threw 4 grenades, emptied the remaining M7 ammo and used the second gun (while getting as many headshots as possible). When the boss kneels down, rush in for a QTE to finish him off.

Thanks - so I need more grenades for a start! :) Did he run at you after you'd done a certain amount of damage? It seems to be the timing of my counter hits in that first melee confrontation that lets me down.

Yeah he did start to come closer after a while, but I just threw grenades and tried to get a lot of headshots to get him to kneel.

Thanks for the useful tips. I replayed the level to build up a stock of grenades and M4 ammo then took cover at the back of the carriage like you said. I was also countering too quickly - I didn't realise that if you wait a few seconds, a triangle trigger shows up...even on Crushing. Took a fair few tries, but he's finally beaten! Hurrah!

• 3 months later...

I hated this part. It was easily the hardest section of the trilogy for me, mostly due to the lack of information about how the fight worked in a Crushing playthrough.

Where I kept going wrong was failing to throw punches as Draza rushed at Drake and I'd be one-hit with the butt of a rifle. Once you initiate combat, mash :square: and hope for a decent camera angle so your view of Draza's blocks isn't obscured.

Waiting for :triangle: doesn't work - there are no QTE prompts in Crushing until the final sequence of 3 x :square:. Watch for Draza's arms to move, then quickly hit :triangle: to counter.

Here's how I did it...after several dozen attempts. Note the three counters in a row, no QTE prompts -

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I took cover in the spot near him at the beggining. You will need some grenades and a pistole equiped. Throw all the grenades at once first and during the explosion go back and start shooting with the pistole. As soon as his helmet goes off, you will be able to hit him and counter his attacks, then Chloe appears and kills him lol.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

the whole fight is kinda simple just shoot him when he tosses a second grenade it means hes gunna rush to u just fight him ull see the game go abit slowmo wait a second hit triangle and ull dodge past hit square immidiatly to prevent him from hitting u as u pass then get to cover and repeat till his helmet goes off now when he rushes u fight wait for the slow mo triamgle hit him again a slow mo triangle then square and keep hitting square and actually yes the prompts for triangle are still there n crushing

• 3 years later...

Started Uncharted 2 yesterday and today on my day off been loving it. Been years since I played the game so i had long enough for nostalgic moments to kick in and realised how much I love this game in the series.

then this b**tard boss arrives and only stressful nostalgia comes back. Give a mini boss infinite health against bullets but punches kill him. Had a few attempts today but totally forgot about the melee until looking it up on here. Worst boss in the series, and really bad in terms of the mechanics of it. One of Naughty Dogs most horrendous gaming ideas to date me thinks. 

To the chap above. No prompts appear in crushing, or it could be another broken bit done by Blue Point. 

Edited by DaveMcDamage

• 7 months later...

Oh this is for sure a broken fight.  Half the time I cant even see the fight and when I do the QTE prompt inputs dont work.  Or he refuses to progress the way it is written. He just keeps shooting from distance.  

The cinematography camera crap can piss off.  Do it right or dont do it.  Trash. 

Edited by audiopile

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 9/3/2020 at 0:48 PM, papert0wng1rl said:

This is an old thread, but if someone is struggling like I did, here's what I learned from my Crushing and Brutal playthroughs. 

I died so many times on crushing because I couldn't figure out how the fight worked. I couldn't seem to counter his punch no matter what, and the triangle did not appear in most cases. So I died and died, until by some miracle I beat him. But on my brutal run, something just clicked. I realized I was mashing square too much in my attempt to fight him and unknowingly voided the triangle before it had a chance to appear, thus sabotaging myself! The game wasn't broken - I just did it wrong. Here was my approach that worked smoothly.

1. Keep at least two grenades on you before you go into this fight. It's not essential, but it will make things easy. Once you get to the infinite ammo spawn, there shouldn't be any issues with damaging him enough, but the grenades make getting there much faster.
  2. Take cover at the inner entrance of the train car and blind fire all your ammo at him. Don't worry about aiming. On crushing and brutal he will kill you before you will have a chance to properly aim at him. At some point he will kneel to shoot, so this would be a great opportunity to throw the grenades at him. If he throws a grenade at you, don't panic. Simply hit the direction and circle button to switch your cover to the opposite side of the entrance. The grenades will not harm you.
  3. At this point he should charge you. Don't wait for him to get to you. Instead, run at him and initiate the fight yourself by hitting him. 
  4. Here's where prompts were causing me issues. I found that hitting him (square button) twice was just enough. Do the 1-2 punch and do not touch square anymore. At this point, the triangle should appear. Hit it immediately to avoid his punch. So, 1-2 punch, then counter. If I tried punching again, the system would just interpret it as a wrong input and let him kill me. Stick to two and you should be fine.
  5. After this combo he will throw you further into the car (Note: this why you have to charge him first - so that you can make your way further into the car and closer to the ammo. When I tried fighting him by the entrance, he would often throw me in the opposite direction, outside of the car. This will create some problems with having enough gun power for the next step). Immediately take cover behind one of the seats/luggage piles (whichever is closest) and grab the M4 that's there to continue the blind fire. Don't worry about the ammo - it will continuously spawn when you get too low. Just pick up, reload, and go heavy on him. Your main goal is to knock off his helmet. Once it's off, you will know that the next brawl will be your last. If you didn't use grenades to damage him, it might take you one extra round, but not necessarily. I think two rounds is the most I've ever done.
  6. Once his helmet is off, he will charge you again. Just like before, do not wait to initiate the fight. Do the 1-2/counter once again. This time it will make you do this combo three times. If you did it successfully, a square prompt will appear, that you will have to hit three times (I just mashed it lol). Do this and the fight is over - you win.

I couldn't believe how easy this fight turned out to be once I knew what to do. Give it a go and see if it helps you.

Thanks for the tips. I am about to play this game on Crushing. Wish me luck!

• 1 month later...