Hint thread - No spoilers or solutions please!

StrickenBiged

Hey everyone

Thought I'd try starting a thread where we can share hints. 

By hints, I do not mean a "walkthrough". If you want to start a separate thread for outright solutions to the puzzles and mysteries, go ahead. 

In this thread, I have in mind that we swap little suggestions like "wander around the beach a bit more, there's something you missed there" or something like that. (Please note that that was a random example, I don't know if there's anything down on the beach that you or anyone else may have missed!)

A lot of the fun in The Witness is derived from figuring out things for yourself. But, sometimes, when you're utterly stuck, you need someone to come along and point you in the, roughly, right direction. 

Sorry if you found all that patronising... but this is the Internet and anything could happen!

I would suggest that those of us who want to use this thread quote the question we're addressing then use spoiler tags for any hints we swap, so save those who want to figure things out for themselves.

Thanks all. I'm hoping this works out to be useful for people.

Anyone able to give me a hint for starting the desert ruin sequence? I've found the starting puzzle in the ruin - the one that looks like a ship's wheel where you start in the centre and have 6 possible exits at the spokes - but have no idea what shape I need to draw. Anyone know where I in the game I need to explore some more to be able to figure this one out?

• Like 1

Anyone able to give me a hint for starting the desert ruin sequence? I've found the starting puzzle in the ruin - the one that looks like a ship's wheel where you start in the centre and have 6 possible exits at the spokes - but have no idea what shape I need to draw. Anyone know where I in the game I need to explore some more to be able to figure this one out?

You can start it at any time. I was stumped at first, too, but after doing another area and coming back I got it.

My Tip:

Perspective & Sun

• Like 1

You can start it at any time. I was stumped at first, too, but after doing another area and coming back I got it.

Aaaaah. Ok. I think I know where to go. Thanks.

By the way:

1. Welcome to the forums!
  2. If you click the "Quote" button at the bottom of a post, the person you're quoting will receive a notification. If you click the speech bubble in the toolbar and then copy-paste their text, they wont. 

Thanks again for your help. I hope you stick around!

Aaaaah. Ok. I think I know where to go. Thanks.

By the way:

1. Welcome to the forums!
  2. If you click the "Quote" button at the bottom of a post, the person you're quoting will receive a notification. If you click the speech bubble in the toolbar and then copy-paste their text, they wont. 

Thanks again for your help. I hope you stick around!

1. Thanks!

2. Done!

By the way: I just meant that taking a break and thinking about something differently helps. It's not necessary to be anywhere else before starting the desert ruin puzzles. All the information about how to solve them is there ...

• Like 1

I've been playing for a while and haven't really gotten stuck on any puzzles so far, but I'm now in the treehouse area where

there is a door to a room that opens when you solve a puzzle on a pink panel, but the door is on a very short timer that expires well before I can make it over to the door

. I have been stuck here for hours. Has anyone solved this?

1. Thanks!

2. Done!

By the way: I just meant that taking a break and thinking about something differently helps. It's not necessary to be anywhere else before starting the desert ruin puzzles. All the information about how to solve them is there ...

OH MY GOD!

That's what was stumping me!

I was going crazy.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Edit: your clue actually got me thinking about everything differently. I busted through the shady trees, hedge mazes, ruins, and monastery all thanks to your advice!

This game is awesome...

Edited by StrickenBiged

Can anyone give me a little clue as to what to do with squares that have small tetriminos (I.e. like little Tetris shapes) inside them?

I won't give it away, but if you want to learn the rules for the tetrominoes then the Marsh should be your destination. Good luck, those ones give me the most trouble!

• Like 1

Can someone for the life of me explain the way to do the puzzles with the White Triangle Snowflake thing with the red and green squares down in the quarry. This is where i believe youre first introduced to them and i just do not understand

That symbol basically excludes one of the other symbols in the puzzle from its usual rule. The white symbol has to be grouped into the same section as the symbol you are excluding.

what do you mean usual role? 

Here's an example (this is not the solution to an actual puzzle):

puzz3.jpg

The normal rules for the black and white squares are that the white squares need to be completely separate from the black squares. However in this case, the white square in the top-left corner IS allowed to be in the same group as the four black squares because the white tripod symbol makes the white square exempt from the rule (i.e., it cancels it out.)

puzz2.jpg

This is the same example, but this time, the white tripod symbol is not in the same group as the white square, therefore it cannot cancel it out. This solution is invalid.

Hope that helps!

OH MY GOD!

That's what was stumping me!

I was going crazy.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Edit: your clue actually got me thinking about everything differently. I busted through the shady trees, hedge mazes, ruins, and monastery all thanks to your advice!

This game is awesome...

Hehe, that's cool! ^^

Yeah, the game is really great and I like to chat about it only with clues without spoiling the puzzles directly.

I'm a bit stumped with the second maze but I should stop playing this game when I'm sleepy ;)

Monastery is fun but tricky, will try again later.

Shady Trees and Ruins are the easier puzzles (except for the tree gate). You should try the Jungle, it was fun and different.

I will try out the marsh later because of the tip from vsmantis. 

I'm a bit stumped with the second maze but I should stop playing this game when I'm sleepy ;)

I was completely stuck on the hedge mazes for a while. I ended up brute-forcing the solutions to #1-3, so I still don't know why those solutions worked. #4 I figured out legit,

but the rule isn't the same as for the first 3 so I wonder if all 3 have different rules?

You should try the Jungle, it was fun and different.

I will try out the marsh later because of the tip from vsmantis. 

I don't even think I've found these areas yet - I thought I was in the jungle when I was doing shady trees... There must be a whole side of the island I haven't seen... Some areas appear to be smaller than others. I might climb the mountain again later to get a better view and find my way.

Edit: thought I'd better add spoiler tags, in case that's a clue.

Edited by StrickenBiged

I was completely stuck on the hedge mazes for a while. I ended up brute-forcing the solutions to #1-3, so I still don't know why those solutions worked. #4 I figured out legit,

but the rule isn't the same as for the first 3 so I wonder if all 3 have different rules?

Haha, that's funny! I thought about brute forcing it too but I don't want to ... for now ^^

The rule to Maze #1 is quite simple though:

There is only one way to go trough the maze because of all the locked paths. So essentially you have draw the way you walked along it!

But Maze #2 is not so straight forward. I'll just try again later on. I want to solve ALL Puzzles by myself which worked so far ...

Edited by eXeViuS
  • Like 1

Here's an example (this is not the solution to an actual puzzle):

puzz3.jpg

The normal rules for the black and white squares are that the white squares need to be completely separate from the black squares. However in this case, the white square in the top-left corner IS allowed to be in the same group as the four black squares because the white tripod symbol makes the white square exempt from the rule (i.e., it cancels it out.)

puzz2.jpg

This is the same example, but this time, the white tripod symbol is not in the same group as the white square, therefore it cannot cancel it out. This solution is invalid.

Hope that helps!

It does thank you! but is the green and red squares different? or is it the same as black/white

It does thank you! but is the green and red squares different? or is it the same as black/white

They're the same as black and white.

Basically any time you have coloured squares, you have to section them all off by colour.

Now I think there might have been a slightly different rule depending on the colour of the tripod symbol, but it was only in a couple puzzles so I can't remember what it was. It might have affected the colours of the other symbols it could be paired with.

Edited by vsmantis

I've been playing for a while and haven't really gotten stuck on any puzzles so far, but I'm now in the treehouse area where

there is a door to a room that opens when you solve a puzzle on a pink panel, but the door is on a very short timer that expires well before I can make it over to the door

. I have been stuck here for hours. Has anyone solved this?

In case you're still stuck here... I figured this out last night. It's really obtuse!

Take another look at the puzzle bridges that you built. Was there anything that you could have done differently?

I started last night and am loving this game so far.  I got the laser for the symmetry area.  But I didn't get a laser from the starting area that looks like a castle.  Are there more puzzles I need to do there to find a laser?  Or is that just the tutorial area with no laser?

I started last night and am loving this game so far.  I got the laser for the symmetry area.  But I didn't get a laser from the starting area that looks like a castle.  Are there more puzzles I need to do there to find a laser?  Or is that just the tutorial area with no laser?

You're good, there's no laser there. 

Each of the lasers pops a trophy, so you should be able to see where you need to go easily by checking the list.

So something has been bugging me and not sure if there is any significance. Maybe I'm thinking to much into it.

So just a yes or no answer if it will play a later roll in the game.

There is a single grey cloud in the sky. While the rest are white. Am I thinking too much into it and it means nothing?