Hint thread - No spoilers or solutions please!

StrickenBiged

LOL.

When I really got stuck and could figure out a solution, I used my phone. Took a picture of the screen, then used an app call You Doodle and drew on the picture on my phone. Made the puzzle easier to solve as I could draw and undo, and confirm the solution.

Not sure if that is cheating?

The camera really helped during the end on the colour changing or broken panels. Took multiple photos with my phone until the one colour that matched correctly. Now would that be considered cheating? hehe

Considering what I do is

take a buttload of screenshots using the Share button and transferring them to my laptop,

I'd say no.

Warning, there is a solution in this spoiler, but i just have to share my artistic skills.

Get some graph or squared paper. Having neat sketches really helps. Especially for the tetrimino ones - I found it much easier to visualise combining them or flipping them around when I had nice, neat outlines to work with.

I think the game is impossible without pen and paper, although I used it much less than I thought I would. Some seemingly simple puzzles turned out to be quite hard.
Example at the end:

The one on the pillars that only has dots and a staircase like path interruptions. Even on paper it took me several trials to find a path from start to end. Them being circular made it not obvious on paper.

I didn't use screenshots or photos for the ones explained by Dysector. I would consider it's slightly cheating since doing it defeats the whole difficulty of these puzzles. But who cares, as long as you are have fun solving them. 

The trick to those color changing ones was to look at the puzzles from a distance since you then much more easily see what dots are in sync and thus are the same color. The more difficult ones were the moving/rotating ones that changed speed as you went sideways. You had to memorize the path and then blindly follow it, trying not to be distracted by the moving image. Although drawing these on paper first would probably have taken away that difficulty anyway... just was too lazy to grab pen and paper, I guess :P.

So I'm having trouble with a particular puzzle in the swamp (?) district. It's the place with all the docks with various coloured platforms around the area. The puzzles are generally using the tetris looking blocks.

SPOILERS!!!

I'm now at the part where your going down stairs into the underwater rooms. I'm stuck on the final puzzle of the third one (has a blue cord at the surface marking it.

The puzzle is a 4x4 with four special blocks: (1) yellow block they has 8 small squares in a checkered pattern, (1) classic T tetris block which has to be placed like the letter T and (2) blue hollow blocks to help ignore 2 squares.

I seriously am stumped, if anyone has a good tip throw it at me! Try not to make it too easy cause I don't just want the solution. I'm also curious if this one stumped anyone else? I've only completed 4 other areas so far but this is the first puzzle I've been unable to finish even after coming back multiple times. Thanks in advance!

Edited by daPIANIST

So I'm having trouble with a particular puzzle in the swamp (?) district. It's the place with all the docks with various coloured platforms around the area. The puzzles are generally using the tetris looking blocks.

SPOILERS!!!

I'm now at the part where your going down stairs into the underwater rooms. I'm stuck on the final puzzle of the third one (has a blue cord at the surface marking it.

The puzzle is a 4x4 with four special blocks: (1) yellow block they has 8 small squares in a checkered pattern, (1) classic T tetris block which has to be placed like the letter T and (2) blue hollow blocks to help ignore 2 squares.

I seriously am stumped, if anyone has a good tip throw it at me! Try not to make it too easy cause I don't just want the solution. I'm also curious if this one stumped anyone else? I've only completed 4 other areas so far but this is the first puzzle I've been unable to finish even after coming back multiple times. Thanks in advance!

I know the one. As you're on the HINT thread, I'll give you a hint rather than an outright solution.

I found it easier to think of the ones with anti-squares in terms of "how many yellow squares will I have left when I deduct the blue squares", and then think about the shapes afterwards.

So for this one:

8 + 4 - 1 - 1 = 10.

So try to draw a shape that has 10 squares in it and captures all the symbols.

Good luck!

I've never poster before so I don't know how to quote you.. But thanks for the tips! I can't wait to give it another go, I think I was big time caught up trying to make some sort of checker board.

Look at the lower-right corner of the post! Also, type

[spoiler]your text here[/spoiler]

to make spoilers!

Anyway...

I've never poster before so I don't know how to quote you.. But thanks for the tips! I can't wait to give it another go, I think I was big time caught up trying to make some sort of checker board.

Throughout the game, it also helps to try to identify when situations are unsolvable due to the fact of how your line is being drawn. Just a simple non-spoiler example : from a starting spot, you can never have your line go into 2 directions, because once you choose a direction, you can never go back to the intersection/corner where your line starts since the line will be blocked there. Same goes with identifying places where your line absolutely needs to go to solve it (the black hexagons being the trivial example).

That's why it helps a lot to draw stuff on paper (or on screenshots) and start with those partial results.

Edited by ViperHD

Blarg. Trouble unlocking the challenge puzzles.

At the bottom of the mountain; if you've gotten the necessary things, there's a puzzle before you get to the challenge area proper. A 5x5 grid, with three-long tetrominos positioned horizontally in the four corners and the center. Since they're not diagonal, I can't turn them, and since they're in the corners, there's realistically only one place you can put them. You can't put them like that.

Okay, never mind, I've missed something really important relating to it. I should be able to solve now.

Edited by Slain087

I know the one. As you're on the HINT thread, I'll give you a hint rather than an outright solution.

I found it easier to think of the ones with anti-squares in terms of "how many yellow squares will I have left when I deduct the blue squares", and then think about the shapes afterwards.

So for this one:

8 + 4 - 1 - 1 = 10.

So try to draw a shape that has 10 squares in it and captures all the symbols.

Good luck!

Got anymore hints? Haha I honestly am just completely dumbfounded. Is it one shape I feel like I just don't understand the rules anymore, do I need to match that checkered pattern or can I rearrange the yellow cubes as I please. At this point it feels like I'm solving it by brute force not by understanding.

Throughout the game, it also helps to try to identify when situations are unsolvable due to the fact of how your line is being drawn. Just a simple non-spoiler example : from a starting spot, you can never have your line go into 2 directions, because once you choose a direction, you can never go back to the intersection/corner where your line starts since the line will be blocked there. Same goes with identifying places where your line absolutely needs to go to solve it (the black hexagons being the trivial example).

That's why it helps a lot to draw stuff on paper (or on screenshots) and start with those partial results.

Yeah I'm definitely starting to become a lot more competent at the general mechanics. I'll definitely keep these tips in mind. My problem with the puzzle I'm stuck on in the swamp is that I don't understand what's it's asking me to do. I'm just throwing crap at the wall because if I don't know what it's asking me I can't apply these rules.

It's super frustrating because I don't feel like I'm getting any closer just more confused haha. I've thought I've had the answer so many times but nope. It feels like it might be a hilarious D'oh! Moment when I see the solution and how it comes together.

Edited by daPIANIST

Got anymore hints? Haha I honestly am just completely dumbfounded. Is it one shape I feel like I just don't understand the rules anymore, do I need to match that checkered pattern or can I rearrange the yellow cubes as I please. At this point it feels like I'm solving it by brute force not by understanding.

Yeah I'm definitely starting to become a lot more competent at the general mechanics. I'll definitely keep these tips in mind. My problem with the puzzle I'm stuck on in the swamp is that I don't understand what's it's asking me to do. I'm just throwing crap at the wall because if I don't know what it's asking me I can't apply these rules.

It's super frustrating because I don't feel like I'm getting any closer just more confused haha. I've thought I've had the answer so many times but nope. It feels like it might be a hilarious D'oh! Moment when I see the solution and how it comes together.

First spoiler is what the rules for Marsh effectively are at your point, the second one is a more obvious hint.

If you have trouble remembering what the game's trying to get you to do, try going back to earlier panels, and try to figure out why the solution you came up works.

1) Shapes must retain their orientation.

2) Shapes can be connected together, as long as no squares overlap.

3) All shape squares must be contained within their shape.

3a) If the final shape is composed of at least two different shapes, the square containing the individual shapes can be anywhere within the final shape.

4) Blue squares remove squares from a shape; e.g. turning a L-block into a three-length I block.

5) Blue squares obey the same rules as yellow squares, in terms of orientation and containment.

You can make it into one shape. The four marked blocks are of course mandatory, so what two blocks can you remove to fit in those four blocks, and the T-shape?

Edited by Slain087

First spoiler is what the rules for Marsh effectively are at your point, the second one is a more obvious hint.

If you have trouble remembering what the game's trying to get you to do, try going back to earlier panels, and try to figure out why the solution you came up works.

1) Shapes must retain their orientation.

2) Shapes can be connected together, as long as no squares overlap.

3) All shape squares must be contained within their shape.

3a) If the final shape is composed of at least two different shapes, the square containing the individual shapes can be anywhere within the final shape.

4) Blue squares remove squares from a shape; e.g. turning a L-block into a three-length I block.

5) Blue squares obey the same rules as yellow squares, in terms of orientation and containment.

You can make it into one shape. The four marked blocks are of course mandatory, so what two blocks can you remove to fit in those four blocks, and the T-shape?

Just wanted to thank you for the tips, I finally got it! However I don't understand why it works.

I don't get why I'm allowed to not have the block in the bottom right corner outside of the shape. According to the checkered square there needs to be a yellow block there? Same with placing the T square because it covers 3 yellow blocks when I only have 2 blue squares to remove them.

Anyway I'm pumped that I'm past it, kinda wish I didn't have to brute force it but I still feel like I'm missing something. The checkered block just doesn't seem to follow the rules!

There is a certain room in town....

Near the area where you must go downstairs to the sound proof room to make the stairs come down to the blue room. If you go from the blue room into the room next door, you can make the room colour change from blue, to red, to green. Has anyone solved the other two panels in that same room yet? Do they do anything once solved? Unlock anything?

Just wanted to thank you for the tips, I finally got it! However I don't understand why it works.

I don't get why I'm allowed to not have the block in the bottom right corner outside of the shape. According to the checkered square there needs to be a yellow block there? Same with placing the T square because it covers 3 yellow blocks when I only have 2 blue squares to remove them.

Anyway I'm pumped that I'm past it, kinda wish I didn't have to brute force it but I still feel like I'm missing something. The checkered block just doesn't seem to follow the rules!

Okay, spoileriffic hint/solution.

The bottom-right corner cannot be part of the final shape because it ends up disconnected from the main shape. Also, all that empty space does mean something, in terms of why a T square would fit...

There is a certain room in town....

Near the area where you must go downstairs to the sound proof room to make the stairs come down to the blue room. If you go from the blue room into the room next door, you can make the room colour change from blue, to red, to green. Has anyone solved the other two panels in that same room yet? Do they do anything once solved? Unlock anything?

We actually discussed this very puzzle a little earlier in the thread.

What changes? What stays the same? Does what changes change the same way across each hue?

Also, now that I finally figured out what this was about:

So something has been bugging me and not sure if there is any significance. Maybe I'm thinking to much into it.

So just a yes or no answer if it will play a later roll in the game.

There is a single grey cloud in the sky. While the rest are white. Am I thinking too much into it and it means nothing?

No, it has no bearing on the main game.

That said, Blow did use clouds to get a hidden secret back in Braid....

Edited by Slain087

• 5 months later...

So I'm now with 440 puzzles

+87

I'm really trying not to look for information online, only looked for help on the shipwreck red door and 1 or 2 puzzles in the jungle, so I don't even know what the last hidden trophy is or if there's another ending.

The thread is exactly what I needed, hints without spoilers or walkthroughs =)

About this black cloud...

I found something that kind of needs this cloud to be white, at least for a moment. Is there a way to do that or I'm just thinking it wrong?

About the (first?) ending...

The things they mention are clues for something? Do I need to start a new game and redo everything?

Inside the windmill...

How do I reach the door to the left, underground? it seems all sorts of things are connected to that door, like the last video puzzle, a door to one of the houses in town...it also connects to the sun puzzles elevator, but I can`t reach it

About the "extra" puzzles...

The puzzles you find lying around on the map, they go to a black pillar.

Can I finish a whole pillar normally or is there another way to find these puzzles?

Is there an order of pillar completion?

The black cloud for example is in the way of completing one of them, but I found at least one difficult puzzle on the other pillars as well. 

I can help others on the normal puzzles, if needed.

• 2 years later...

I was really hoping to clomplete this spoiler/hint-free...

I have two lasers left to activate: Monastery and Treehouses. 

I’ve looked at the first of three puzzles in the lattice fence from every conceivable angle, but I can’t seem to find a clue. I did find a partially obscured clue to the third one though. 

In treehouses, I have assembled the bridges. I suspect that the unused abutments are important. 

This os the first session where I have made no progress whatsoever. 

Edit: something that I will add is that I’m surprised to see that there is very little mention here of the puzzles that I’m struggling with. Leads me to believe that I’m overlooking something very simple. 

Edited by G_V_Black

20 hours ago, G_V_Black said:

I was really hoping to clomplete this spoiler/hint-free...

I have two lasers left to activate: Monastery and Treehouses. 

I’ve looked at the first of three puzzles in the lattice fence from every conceivable angle, but I can’t seem to find a clue. I did find a partially obscured clue to the third one though. 

In treehouses, I have assembled the bridges. I suspect that the unused abutments are important. 

This os the first session where I have made no progress whatsoever. 

Edit: something that I will add is that I’m surprised to see that there is very little mention here of the puzzles that I’m struggling with. Leads me to believe that I’m overlooking something very simple. 

I got the monastery done today, but struggled a lot yesterday. 

You need to use the enviroment, but first it needs to be changed.

Regarding Treehouses, are you asking for a hint?

EDIT: I saw you've already completed the Town. The Puzzle used in Town which resembles the Monastery puzzles can also give you a hint. I dont want to give away too much though.

Edited by Mori

• 3 weeks later...

Having trouble in one specific part of Town. Also the Monastery, but I haven't put too much time into that one yet.

Edit: Just figured it out myself. I don't see a way to delete this so I guess I'll just leave it here.

After completing the puzzle with the apple tree, it activated one in a small dilapidated building that I need to complete three times. I've already completed the green and orange solutions for avoiding shadows and looking at the marks left on the surface in the sunlight. I'm not sure where to start with the last solution. Can someone tell me where I need to be looking/listening? On the panel itself, in the room, etc.

Edited by MattPieti